PDA

View Full Version : Is Micha Owings still with the Reds?

Kiko
07-18-2010, 12:13 PM
He last pitched on July 4th in a blow out win over the Cubs. He's been good this year. He's had 3 bad outings out of 21 and all 3 were in blow out losses. I don't believe in a long distance relief pitcher in the NL because they get pitch hit for most of the time however, Owings is unique because he is a good hitter, so he can be the exception. In 3 out of 21 appearances he went 3+ innings, the last time was May 7th. So, I don't think Dusty is "saving" him for when a starter melts down early in a game. I thought last night would have been a perfect time to use Owings with a 8-1 lead. Let him throw at least 1 inning. What I'm trying to say is Owings needs to get more innings especially with Codero, Masset and Rhodes all on pace to eclispe their career highs in games and innings pitched. Those 3 could be toast near the end of the season just when you need them most.

arkimadee
07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I am for one that would like to see Micah get some more playing time, but I think Dusty likes to keep him around in the bullpen incase the team goes to a long extra innings stint. I would have thought they would have put him in last night but i guess he probably wanted to give some of his main bullpen guys some work because they hadn't worked in so long due to the allstar break.

blark11
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
There were some extra inning games in the first half that he had to come into and he struggled majorly with control. You can't really blame him when he pitches once every couple weeks. I like having the guy around in the role that he's currently in, but it does have to be frustrating for him.

Orodle
07-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised we didnt see him last night. Smith seems to have more of Dusty's confidence. I'm starting to think Owings will be demoted for whoever they try to promote next.....Springer, Chapman, Harang.....

brm7675
07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
The answer is simple, Dusty is an idiot and has no in game management/pitching decision ability.

Vottomatic
07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
The answer is simple, Dusty is an idiot and has no in game management/pitching decision ability.

I don't agree with you often, but I saw last night as a good opportunity to get Micah some innings too.

I don't blame Micah, AT ALL, for his performance or lack of performance this year. Mike Leake missed a start and had trouble with his command in his next start. These guys need work to keep their command of their pitches.

Why Dusty thinks he can pitch Micah once every 2 weeks and that he can still be effective is beyond me.

lidspinner
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't agree with you often, but I saw last night as a good opportunity to get Micah some innings too.

I don't blame Micah, AT ALL, for his performance or lack of performance this year. Mike Leake missed a start and had trouble with his command in his next start. These guys need work to keep their command of their pitches.

Why Dusty thinks he can pitch Micah once every 2 weeks and that he can still be effective is beyond me.

Dusty needs to start being held accountable for some of his actions...Why have MO on the roster if he is not going to get used? lets use his spot for someone else.....I would love to use that spot for another pen guy who is better than Micah.....not knocking Micah one bit but he needs batters to throw to...he is not going to get oiled if he dont get worked.

DocRed
07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Micah has pitched twice in July and 5 times in June. If Dusty doesn't like him or doesn't want to use him that's fine but don't waste a roster spot on him then.

kfm
07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
So why doesn't Micah pitch more? Is it because he is just not very good, is it because the role he has on this team does not present itself very much. He is clearly the guy Dusty has the least amount of faith in but also seems to be the only guy who can pitch 3 or more innings. Personally, I don't blame Dusty one bit for not pitching him more, I just don't think he is very good. However, I wish Dusty would try to get him some more pinch hitting opportunities.

DocRed
07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
BTW you could swap "Paul Janish" in the title for "Micah Owings" and have the same discussion of why he doesn't play more.

kfm
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
BTW you could swap "Paul Janish" in the title for "Micah Owings" and have the same discussion of why he doesn't play more.

Only that would be more interesting and thought provoking especially since Cabrerra's production has dropped off dramatically. Any conversation that starts with Micah Owings needs to pitch more is off to a bad start.

sabometrics
07-19-2010, 01:37 AM
With the overabundance of starting pitching, and the lack of options that Harang and Bailey have, and the money that Chapman is making while waiting in the wings, I'm beginning to wonder if his position could be in jeopardy. Not that he doesn't do a good job, its just if those guys aren't dealt, I think most would be of the opinion that the leftover SP can do a better job in long relief. Micah has been lucky to a certain extent. He walks a lot of batters and is not overpowering at all. The fact that he hasn't made an appearance recently lays credence to how good the starting pitching has been, and how shoddy the bats have performed. A lot of close games before the break, and a continuance (spare Saturday) after. I'm fine with him riding the pine to be quite honest.

webbbj
07-19-2010, 01:59 AM
hes a 5th inning/6th inning pitcher. the reds starters have been pitching 6-9 innings deep so he doesnt get called upon.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Apparently he is forgotten.

Don't see him enough to even spell his name correctly.