PDA

View Full Version : John Buck a target?

texasdave
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Reds scouted Toronto over the weekend.

A slew of scouts attended last night's Blue Jays-Royals game in Kansas City, reports Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. The Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, and Phillies were represented. The Reds scouted the Jays over the weekend.

One writer feels that John Buck may have been the target.

Elliott feels that the Tigers, Red Sox, and Reds are teams that might have interest in Buck.

Buck's career numbers aren't all that and a bag of chips, but he has been producing with the in 2010.

The Blue Jays also have some relief help that could be available.

Here is the link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

GIDP
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
If Ramon is that hurt then he would be a good target. I'd almost be thinking that they were there watching the Jays relievers more than Buck.

texasdave
07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
If Ramon is that hurt then he would be a good target. I'd almost be thinking that they were there watching the Jays relievers more than Buck.

I would have thought they were scouting the relievers too. But it was a Toronto writer who opined that they were looking at Buck and so maybe he heard something.

GIDP
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I would have thought they were scouting the relievers too. But it was a Toronto writer who opined that they were looking at Buck and so maybe he heard something.

Then you have to think that if their beat writer is like John Fay you cant really believe he has any insight other than complete guess work.

GIDP
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Could have been scouting Buck, and KC and Torontos relievers. I mean everyone is probably being scouted.

markymark69
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Not sure what his contract status is, but this could be a move for the future as well. Perhaps the Reds know they can't count on Hernandez and Buck is most likely cheaper than him. A combination of Buck and Hanigan - about as good as what you have and for less money. Buck is an All-Star this year. You would not have give up near as much in return, I would think as you would for the relievers.

Corky Miller is strictly a catch and throw guy and is not getting any younger, also do not know what his contract status is past this season. After that the Reds do not have much in the minors at the catching spot that are major league ready.

Wilkin Castillo anyone?

I would think the relievers (Downs, Frasor) would be what they are looking at, but these writers do hear things that we never would. I guess we just wait and see and if Buck becomes a Red I hope he continues his All-Star season and helps the Reds get to the promised land.

Now back to all the naysayers and nattering na-bobs of negativity of why this would be horrible and the most foolish thing this organization could do.

GIDP
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Devin Mesoraco isnt exactly far away. Might be the best hitting prospect in the minors after this year and likely ends the season in AAA.

The Voice of IH
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I was thinking about maybe adding a catcher to really add pop to the list this I cam up with

John Buck (TOR): .278 13 HR 43 RBI

Carlos Santana (CLE) .280 6 HR 18 RBI

Jason Kendall (KC) .271 0 HR 31 RBI

Kurt Suzuki (OAK) .255 10 HR 37 RBI

Ronny Paulino (FL) .278 3 HR 32 RBI

Ivan Rodriguez (WSH) .286 1 HR 28 RBI

Miguel Montero(ARI) .316 2 HR 13 RBI

These are probably the available catchers that are on the market, since Mosoraco is up and coming (maybe a 2 years off) and hanigan still with us, I do not believe we need a long term deal here as of right now. Buck would be the guy I choose (hince why he is at the top)

sabometrics
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Santana is an uber-prospect, why would he be available? The only people shopping him are fantasy baseball owners.

Suzuki is young and very affordable right now. The A's wouldn't trade him unless they get a very healthy return.

Kendall/Pudge/Paulino are not improvements.

Montero is interesting, he's just starting to get more expensive and the Diamondbacks are nowhere close to competing. I doubt they're ready to trade him yet.

texasdave
07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
They might have been looking at Buck just in case Hernandez wasn't coming back anytime soon. But it seems as if Hernandez is close to being ready. If they traded for Buck there doesn't wouldn't seem to be enough playing time for all three of them. Would a catcher go back the other way? Hanigan would be the likely choice, because why would Toronto want Hernandez? I am thinking there isn't anything at all to this particular rumor.

NorrisHopper30
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Stubbs and Harang for Vernon Wells

Stubbs, Harang, Cordero for Vernon Wells, Scott Downs