PDA

View Full Version : Please let him opt out

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:45 PM
The Reds could lose Gary Matthews Jr. to free agency if they don’t call him up by next Tuesday, July 24th, according to ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick. Matthews has an out clause that will enable him to opt out of the deal he signed with the Reds if he isn’t in the majors.

Griffey012
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I would rather GMJ be up here as our 5th outfielder than Nix. Nix brings nothing to the table besides a giant swing and a miss. GMJ would actually bring a higher OBP than Nix as a PH, and with a PH you want a guy that can get on base and get to your starting bats. Not saying GMJ is a good PH by any means, but Nix is bad.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I would rather GMJ be up here as our 5th outfielder than Nix. Nix brings nothing to the table besides a giant swing and a miss. GMJ would actually bring a higher OBP than Nix as a PH, and with a PH you want a guy that can get on base and get to your starting bats. Not saying GMJ is a good PH by any means, but Nix is bad.

The problem is Dusty won't use him as a PH, he will be one of our staring OF, so yes he will do more damage then Nix ever could.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I do agree that I'd rather see GMJ up here than Nix.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
IF GMJ is so good why have 2 other teams released him, with one willing to eat a HUGE contract just to get him off their team?

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Also where do you put Dickerson when he comes back?

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Dickerson >>>>>>> Matthews. Let him go.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Dickerson is made of glass. Do we really want to rely on him if and when he ever comes back?

NorrisHopper30
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm all for bringing him up if we get rid of Nix, but he better not get much playing time. Or if he gets hot, trade him.

Griffey012
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
IF GMJ is so good why have 2 other teams released him, with one willing to eat a HUGE contract just to get him off their team?

Never said GMJ was good, but Nix is terrible.

When is Dickerson coming back? I haven't heard an update on him in a while, but would obviously prefer Dickerson to Nix or GMJ.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Never said GMJ was good, but Nix is terrible.

When is Dickerson coming back? I haven't heard an update on him in a while, but would obviously prefer Dickerson to Nix or GMJ.

The difference is that Nix plays very little which is fine, second i don't believe he is horrible, just not on the level of our base 4, third, GMJ will not be used like Nix is, he will play in place of either Stubbs or Bruce which is a bad thing.:thumbdown

bshall2105
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
If GMJ didn't have a massive contract that he didn't live up to people would view him a lot differently. He's not as awful as some people try to make him out to be, and has had more success than either Dickerson or Nix throughout his career. I think he should be brought up and Nix should be DFA.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
If GMJ didn't have a massive contract that he didn't live up to people would view him a lot differently. He's not as awful as some people try to make him out to be, and has had more success than either Dickerson or Nix throughout his career. I think he should be brought up and Nix should be DFA.

He had 1, count them 1 good season and that was a result of his little friend called PED. His numbers do NOT warrent a promotion to a starting position on this club. Stay with Nix until Dickerson is ready, let GMJ walk...:thumbup:

bshall2105
07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
He had 1, count them 1 good season and that was a result of his little friend called PED. His numbers do NOT warrent a promotion to a starting position on this club. Stay with Nix until Dickerson is ready, let GMJ walk...:thumbup:

How many good seasons have Nix and Dickerson had? That's right, absolutely none. Nix numbers and Dickerson's injury history do not warrant a spot on the team. GMJ has been good enough in AAA for me.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:52 PM
How many good seasons have Nix and Dickerson had? That's right, absolutely none. Nix numbers and Dickerson's injury history do not warrant a spot on the team. GMJ has been good enough in AAA for me.

Neither of them are starters, they are bench players, GMJ is not going to come up here and sit the bench. He is going to play, so are okay with him in the outfield over Bruce or Stubbs?

bshall2105
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Neither of them are starters, they are bench players, GMJ is not going to come up here and sit the bench. He is going to play, so are okay with him in the outfield over Bruce or Stubbs?

What makes you think he's going to come up and start? Nix is a veteran that doesn't start. Cairo would be playing first if that was the logic Dusty used.

bgwilly31
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

I really dont know anything about GMJ.

But all this hate on Nix in particular is unwarranted.

The dude has made some fantastic plays for us in big situations. For an off the bench player i think he has done pretty well.

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM

You obviously know nothing about baseball. GMJ is horrible, and if Dickerson get hurt again, he gets DL'ed. When he's been healthy he has great overall career numbers. Guess we should have released Rolen too for his "injury history." Such a dumb excuse why not to play someone when they're healthy.

bornready
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
The difference is that Nix plays very little which is fine, second i don't believe he is horrible, just not on the level of our base 4, third, GMJ will not be used like Nix is, he will play in place of either Stubbs or Bruce which is a bad thing.:thumbdown

dude youve really got a thing for gary matthews

blark11
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM
What kind of numbers is he putting up in triple A?

Hey Meat
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Who cares. He had better opt out. He is not better than any of the five outfielders we have-Yes including Nix.

Griffey012
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I really dont know anything about GMJ.

But all this hate on Nix in particular is unwarranted.

The dude has made some fantastic plays for us in big situations. For an off the bench player i think he has done pretty well.

It's not that I hate Nix, he plays the game the right way, hustles, knows hits role, etc. However, I think he is an awful pinch hitter. He is pretty much all or nothing at the plate, he doesn't draw any walks, and gets on base at a bad clip. He had 8 of his 25 hits on the season against CLE in 3 games. GMJ or someone else is going to be better for us in the role Nix is in now. We don't need a pinch hitter to come in a hit a home run, we just need a pinch hitter to get on base and move on to the next guy.

Nix had an OBP of .291 last season and .265 this season, GMJ could at least pull in one of .320-.340.

bshall2105
07-21-2010, 02:04 AM
You obviously know nothing about baseball. GMJ is horrible, and if Dickerson get hurt again, he gets DL'ed. When he's been healthy he has great overall career numbers. Guess we should have released Rolen too for his "injury history." Such a dumb excuse why not to play someone when they're healthy.

The guy gets hurt in the most ridiculous ways. Anybody can go back into first on a pickoff without messing up their leg. Anybody can swing a baseball bat without breaking a bone in their wrist. He is not reliable at all. At least Matthews has put together a few decent seasons in the majors, and made through the whole year without a major injury. Chris can not be counted on to play a major role. Also about Rolen, the guy is 35, he's going to be hurt throughout the season, Dickerson is in his mid 20's and has played less than a full season total in his career.

GIDP
07-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Nix and Mathews are basically the same player.

Hey Meat
07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Nix and Mathews are basically the same player.
No, Mathews really stinks and is done, but will still get moved up because he is one of Dusty's boys..

Girevik
07-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I can understand not wanting to bring him up and have to move someone else off, but I DON'T get why someone would want him to opt to leave the Reds rather than stay stashed down in AAA for an emergency or a September call up.

I wonder if he's allowed to talk to other teams before he opts out, or has to just take his changes.

Hey Meat
07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
I can understand not wanting to bring him up and have to move someone else off, but I DON'T get why someone would want him to opt to leave the Reds rather than stay stashed down in AAA for an emergency or a September call up.

I wonder if he's allowed to talk to other teams before he opts out, or has to just take his changes.

From what I read earlier, it seems as though he will opt out if not moved up by Tuesday. Apparently staying in AAA is not an option for GMJ.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 09:54 AM
From what I read earlier, it seems as though he will opt out if not moved up by Tuesday. Apparently staying in AAA is not an option for GMJ.

Hey i hope he does, let some other team "benefit' from his experience and lack of hitting skills.:thumbup:

mrherd05
07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I hope he gets called up, and I hope he gets some playing time.

Nix has what, 4 HR's and 12 RBI's and 3 and 8 of that came in two games in Cleveland.

GIDP
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
No, Mathews really stinks and is done, but will still get moved up because he is one of Dusty's boys..

Nix really stinks also, but yea I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt play more than Nix has.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I hope he gets called up, and I hope he gets some playing time.

Nix has what, 4 HR's and 12 RBI's and 3 and 8 of that came in two games in Cleveland.

And he is STILL a better option then GMJ:thumbup:

mrherd05
07-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Not even close man. to say that is just a sign of pure hatred for him. Just because he knows Dusty he is going to suck??

If his name was any other name, attached to the AAA numbers he is right now, everyone would be begging for him to come up and replace Laynce Sux

RedsFanInBama
07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
If he comes to Cinci, he's not going to be playing in front of Bruce or Stubbs. I do think Dusty would play him more than either Heisey or Nix have been, but not to the point where he was starting more games than Stubbs, Bruce or Gomes.

I'm still not sure he will be in Cinci. From what I can tell, Matthews isn't on the 40-man roster. I think Nix gets waived when Dickerson comes back, but I don't see who else on the 40-man will be dropped to make room for Matthews. Any ideas?

Hondo
07-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Gary Mathews Jr. is a Steroid user who went from a 5th Outfielder to a 50 Million Dollar Contract with the Angels... Then when he couldn't "Roid" up... He went back to his 5th Outfielder production...

PASS