PDA

View Full Version : Why do Reds managers use garbage relievers to clean up garbage situations?

cincyforever
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I do NOT understand why Reds managers use garbage relievers to clean up garbage situations? I remember Narron just looooved Weathers and the dude couldn't get out of an inning without giving up 3 runs. I also remembed Narron and Mackanin loooooooved Coffey and I don't think that guy ever had a save with Cincinnati or an ERA lower than five thousand.

Again, now it's Baker and Bill Bray? The guy has been called up for about one week and he has show that he is absolutely pitiful in every game that I cant think of.

Someone explain to me why Bill Bray was the go to guy tonight and why Rhodes can't ever throw more than one inning. I realize it's to keep him to potentially use him every night but seriously, when you are going for the NL Central title it's time to stop being a little girl.

This is me venting but also having some seriousness behind it ;)

will5979
07-21-2010, 11:44 PM

I feel you brother.

double21d
07-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I guess the problem is that outside of Arthur Rhodes, the Reds don't have a lefty pitcher that is a reliever better than Bray. Daniel Ray Herrera was terrible this year.
While I think Maloney is good and could probably do the job...I'm not so sure its a good idea to use him in this role for the rest of the year while he could be starting every 5th day in the minors and learning how to pitch.

markymark69
07-22-2010, 08:43 AM
For one, you can't use Rhodes every night.

Secondly, the way it is set-up Rhodes is a 7-8-9 inning guy, depending on the situation. The Reds bullpen is set up with defined roles, just like about every other team, I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. Rhodes is not a guy that you will likely see come in the sixth inning, like Bray or Herrera before him.

Bray didn't get it done the other night, but he did alright last night.

webbbj
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
speaking specifically about last night i beleive bray came in the game in the 6th with the reds already down 3.

rhodes is saved for situations late in the game where hes is attempting to hold a lead that is 3 or less, a tie game, or a 1 or 2 run deficit.

in the 6th inning the game can still change a lot in the next 2-3 innings.

but, lets say last nite the reds had a 1 run lead bases loaded no one out in the 6th, i do think thats a spot where you put ur best reliever in right now b/c those are gonna the most crucial outs of the game. I think there should some exceptions but for the most part defined roles arent bad.

code
07-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I totally agree with you, Bill Bray has absolutely done nothing good thus far. Granted, he has not been up that long but that is no excuse. I would of reather seen him sent down then Owings.

cincyforever
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure two nights Bray gave up 2 or 3 runs and last night he gave up 2 huuuuuge runs. I have never seen anything good out of the kid from his years in Cincinnati.

I guess we can just keep losing ballgames while the Cards snag up Oswalt and run away with the division title. Reds management is looking all too like the Blue Jackets... ughh the pain.

brm7675
07-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I do NOT understand why Reds managers use garbage relievers to clean up garbage situations? I remember Narron just looooved Weathers and the dude couldn't get out of an inning without giving up 3 runs. I also remembed Narron and Mackanin loooooooved Coffey and I don't think that guy ever had a save with Cincinnati or an ERA lower than five thousand.

Again, now it's Baker and Bill Bray? The guy has been called up for about one week and he has show that he is absolutely pitiful in every game that I cant think of.

Someone explain to me why Bill Bray was the go to guy tonight and why Rhodes can't ever throw more than one inning. I realize it's to keep him to potentially use him every night but seriously, when you are going for the NL Central title it's time to stop being a little girl.

A) Bray is better then you are giving him credit for
B) Rhodes is like what 40, you can't expect him to go more then an inning an outing
C) The bullpen is a tough thing for a good manager to use correctly, when you have a lousey manager, it's even worse.

cincyforever
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
A) Bray is better then you are giving him credit for
B) Rhodes is like what 40, you can't expect him to go more then an inning an outing
C) The bullpen is a tough thing for a good manager to use correctly, when you have a lousey manager, it's even worse.
A) I haven't seen the kid/guy throw one good inning
B) Why can't I? He is as good as he has ever been. Look at Brett Favre. He's almost 90 and he's rocking and rolling. You can't tell me baseball is more physically demanding or even clooooooooooose to the NFL's physicality level.
C) Yes ;)

brm7675
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
A) I haven't seen the kid/guy throw one good inning
B) Why can't I? He is as good as he has ever been. Look at Brett Favre. He's almost 90 and he's rocking and rolling. You can't tell me baseball is more physically demanding or even clooooooooooose to the NFL's physicality level.
C) Yes ;)

A) Then you haven't been watching, in a philly game he came in and struck out the side I believe and it was their big hitters.
B) Yes pitching is the most devasting thing you can do to your arm and shoulder. Add to that his age and having arm surgery. Sorry but the human body was not ment to do what pitchers do.
C) thank you..

Orodle
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
If you havent seen Bray throw one good inning then you havent watch enough Reds baseball to be commenting on him. He made the Phillies hitters looks like fools right before the all-star break.

And your relating baseball to football shows your baseball intelligence. Pitching a baseball is much more physically demanding on your arm than throwing a football once a week.

cincyforever
07-22-2010, 03:19 PM
If you havent seen Bray throw one good inning then you havent watch enough Reds baseball to be commenting on him. He made the Phillies hitters looks like fools right before the all-star break.

And your relating baseball to football shows your baseball intelligence. Pitching a baseball is much more physically demanding on your arm than throwing a football once a week.
Right, right. And Rhodes has 275 pound men crushing him into the ground.

brm7675
07-22-2010, 03:22 PM

good QB's like say peyton manning don't, the aviod that and only get just a few times.

Orodle
07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Again your proving my point. The ability to throw a baseball is a toll on your rotator cuff. There is no "toughening" that up. Your arguement with Farve doesnt hold up very well with the amount of arm troubles he has had.