PDA

View Full Version : Is that really our lineup

mrherd05
07-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow...is that really our lineup tonight.

We may get a win, I dont know, but Im not so sure that is a lineup that gets you to the playoffs.

Phillips
Cabrera
Votto
NIX
Bruce
Hernandez
Stubbs
Janish

And some of you guys dont think we needed Matthews, nor do we need to part with some of our minor leaguers in order to get a bat?

redsfan_12
07-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I guess Heisey will never get to play. I'd like to see Janish at SS and Cairo at 3rd

ILoveWilly
07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Nix sucks and Matthews sucks. Nix shouldn't start no matter who is pitching. Heisey should get a start and Nix should get DFA'ed once Dickerson is ready, which he probably is now in reality.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Where are you getting this lineup 3 hours before game time? NVM I see it's on the website now.

FlyerFanatic
07-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Where are you getting this lineup 3 hours before game time? NVM I see it's on the website now.

sheldon usually posts it on twitter

arkimadee
07-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Nix is in because he went 2 for 3 earlier in the year against Oswalt with a triple. Janish is starting because in a game last year he went 2 for 4 in a game with 2 doubles..

Mr Larkin
07-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow...is that really our lineup tonight.

We may get a win, I dont know, but Im not so sure that is a lineup that gets you to the playoffs.

Phillips
Cabrera
Votto
NIX
Bruce
Hernandez
Stubbs
Janish

And some of you guys dont think we needed Matthews, nor do we need to part with some of our minor leaguers in order to get a bat?

What is wrong with that line-up? Its who we've got right now. Rolen is out so Janish or Cairo will start. Nix in for Gomes for a game. I don't see the big deal.

gedred69
07-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I'd rather see Dorn for Gomes tonight!

KOBasinger
07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
I would've put Bruce ahead of Nix but other than that, it looks good.

bshall2105
07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow, three lefties in a row? He should at least throw Hernandez in between them or something. Nix has no business hitting clean up ever, I don't care what he did against Oswalt earlier in the year.

sabometrics
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd complain about Nix but I almost feel like he's getting this opportunity to save his job, and somehow he'll come through with a HR today, meaning we'll be stuck with another month of no production until he's on the chopping block again and the process repeats itself.

I'm torn. I want him to do well so that we can get a big win and take the lead in the Central again, but at the same time I want him to go 0-5 so we can finally purge him from the 25-man roster.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
OCab is batting second because he's a leader.

TheBigLebowski
07-24-2010, 05:55 PM
no beef with that lineup

Girevik
07-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd move Nix down a couple of spots, both other than that I don't have a huge problem with it. I'd probably rather see Heisey over Nix, but I do see the argument that Nix has hit Oswalt this year too.

sivman17
07-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Is it really necessary to have "this is our lineup?" threads everyday? Why don't we trust Baker to make the lineups. No matter what stats any of us want to look up, he knows a whole hell of a lot more than anyone on here in terms of batter vs. pitcher matchups.

He can only field the players that are healthy. His lineups have produced the #1 offense in the league. I think it's about time we just let him do his job.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Batting averages and OBP against Roy Oswalt:

Player.........BA.........OBP........at-bats
Phillips------.343------.378-------35
Cabrera-----.000------.100--------9
Votto-------.296------.321-------27
Nix----------.467------.467-------15
Bruce-------.269------.296-------26
Stubbs------.500------.600--------4
Hernandez---.333------.455--------9
Janish-------.667------.667--------3
Cueto

Other Reds players for comparison:
Player.........BA.........OBP........at-bats
Cairo---------.294------.278-------17
Gomes--------.000-----had one at-bat and walked
Hanigan-------0-1 with 2 walks
Matthews, Jr.--.375-----.375-------24
Rolen----------.214-----.244-------42
No other position players have faced Oswalt.

If he has to play, Cabrera should bat 8th and Bruce should bat 2nd, IMHO.

Phillips
Bruce
Votto
Nix
Stubbs
Hernandez
Janish
Cabrera
Cueto

Personally I would have played Cairo at third and put Janish at SS and given Cabrera the day off. Dusty uses some stats and does the right thing, such as Nix, but then leaves Cabrera batting second, which makes no sense at all.

But overall, I'm fine with the lineup.

RedsFanInBama
07-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd hate to think what this board would look like if we weren't 10 games over .500.

FlyerFanatic
07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I'd hate to think what this board would look like if we weren't 10 games over .500.

prob wouldnt be much activity. many would have checked out and looked forward to football season by now

sivman17
07-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Is it really necessary to have "this is our lineup?" threads everyday? Why don't we trust Baker to make the lineups. No matter what stats any of us want to look up, he knows a whole hell of a lot more than anyone on here in terms of batter vs. pitcher matchups.

He can only field the players that are healthy. His lineups have produced the #1 offense in the league. I think it's about time we just let him do his job.

2-0 after top of 1st... 'nuff said

OSUredsFAN
07-24-2010, 08:14 PM
This lineup works for me :beerme:

Hondo
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I dont know... Remember the Astros just happen to be terrible this year...

We need a Hitter.

KOBasinger
07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Here to eat a little bit of crow. Nix proved me wrong. Great night by the team.

kfm
07-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Very big of you. Much respect. Wish more people were willing to do this. Maybe someone can start a thread like this everyday, seems to coincide with Reds scoring a bunch of runs.

OSUredsFAN
07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I dont know... Remember the Astros just happen to be terrible this year...

We need a Hitter.

Yes they are....however the lineup put 6 on the board off of Oswalt, and he isn't terrible.

markymark69
07-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Good for you. Maybe this should be a lesson to all of us, why don't we let the GM and the manager do their jobs and just watch the games and root for the Reds. Seems to be working pretty well this season.

I really don't care who gets the credit, whether it's Walt, Dusty, the players, luck, whatever, I just hope it remains for the rest of the season.

ILoveWilly
07-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Good for you. Maybe this should be a lesson to all of us, why don't we let the GM and the manager do their jobs and just watch the games and root for the Reds. Seems to be working pretty well this season.

I really don't care who gets the credit, whether it's Walt, Dusty, the players, luck, whatever, I just hope it remains for the rest of the season.

How are we not letting them do their jobs by discussion the lineup on a message board? I don't get it.

Not saying start a thread about the lineup every day, but lineup problems have been an issue with Baker since forever. Especially on Sunday's, so hopefully tomorrow isn't our annual forfeiture.

Of course like tonight shows, life is a heck of a lot easier when guys who haven't produced most of the year step up for you. Doesn't mean fans shouldn't be a little annoyed though with lineups that have been pretty poor at times.

kfm
07-24-2010, 10:22 PM
prob wouldnt be much activity. many would have checked out and looked forward to football season by now

You are so right. ALthough we would probably still have the daily where is Micah Owings obsession thread.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, it's like a battle between Dusty's detractors and him every day. Sometimes Dusty wins, and sometimes he loses.

As long as people post their problems with his lineup before the game, I don't have a problem with it.

Tonight my problem was batting OCab second and his lousy career results against Oswalt. The career stats speak otherwise, but it worked tonight. So I eat crow on that one.

I was fine with the rest of the lineup and was happy Dusty had Nix batting 4th considering his career results against Oswalt. Good move by Dusty.

mrherd05
07-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Very glad I was wrong.

markymark69
07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
How are we not letting them do their jobs by discussion the lineup on a message board? I don't get it.

Not saying start a thread about the lineup every day, but lineup problems have been an issue with Baker since forever. Especially on Sunday's, so hopefully tomorrow isn't our annual forfeiture.

Of course like tonight shows, life is a heck of a lot easier when guys who haven't produced most of the year step up for you. Doesn't mean fans shouldn't be a little annoyed though with lineups that have been pretty poor at times.

My point was - the lineups are what they are - there isn't a line written on this forum that the Reds pay an ounce of attention to - the team is winning and things are headed in the right direction. Enjoy it.

Vottomatic
07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
My point was - the lineups are what they are - there isn't a line written on this forum that the Reds pay an ounce of attention to - the team is winning and things are headed in the right direction. Enjoy it.

I'm enjoying it but think they could be doing better.

As for debating lineups and moves during the game, that's part of what this board is for. If a person doesn't like that, then don't read those threads, simply put.

Fans have been second guessing forever. Why do we have to stop now? It's part of the game.

markymark69
07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm enjoying it but think they could be doing better.

As for debating lineups and moves during the game, that's part of what this board is for. If a person doesn't like that, then don't read those threads, simply put.

Fans have been second guessing forever. Why do we have to stop now? It's part of the game.

I just never saw the point, because baseball is a game where the superstar can go 0-for-4 and the 25th guy on the roster can be the hero. That's what makes the game great. So to sit and worry and wonder why this guy is in and that guy is out, to me is pointless. Obviously it's not to you and that's fine. The players who are in there are the one's who I root for on a particular night. As I said, things are going well this year and I love it.

To say we could better is debateable, because we have no idea if a different line-up would have made any difference or not on that particular night. Which again, makes it pointless if you ask me.

Second guessing moves is okay, but line-ups? I can leave it. A whole bunch of fussing was done about two different line-ups this week and the Reds won both times and scored a bunch of runs. Instead of worrying about, I watched the games and enjoyed them immensely. We'll agree to disagree.

barehead
07-28-2010, 04:20 AM
sheldon usually posts it on twitter
tell me his twitter

mattfeet
07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
m_sheldon

-Matt