PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need bullpen help

brm7675
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
People seem to be clamering for Walt to make a trade to improve the bullpen and my question is why? Yes Massett and Co-Co can give you a heart attack when they pitch, but as shown friday night they are getting the job done. Logan has been a stud since getting recalled and the Smith kid from AA has been nothing but very good. Rhodes...well no more needs to be said. Bray has shown greatness and ugliness, but nothing of massive badness. Fisher pitched well on his first return. We have Springer, Izzy, Malloney, Lecure, Bailey and such as possible additions in teh bullpen. I just don't see why the panic?

NeilHamburger
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd much rather have another .900 OPS bat somewhere in the order. But, I get the feeling Walt isn't even considering upgrading the offense. He thinks it's great, so why try and improve.

If his comments are honest then there's no way this team improves their offense.

By the way, I'm not saying there is a .900 OPS bat out there who the Reds could realistically get, I just get the feeling it isn't even in consideration right now.

brm7675
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I'd much rather have another .900 OPS bat somewhere in the order. But, I get the feeling Walt isn't even considering upgrading the offense. He thinks it's great, so why try and improve.

If his comments are honest then there's no way this team improves their offense.

By the way, I'm not saying there is a .900 OPS bat out there who the Reds could realistically get, I just get the feeling it isn't even in consideration right now.

My response would be the following;

1: Whom do you see fitting that mold that is available?
2: What position does he play?
3: Whom sits, is released or sent down?
4: How would it impact on the team chemistry?

scott91575
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM

How do you know? Do you talk to Walt? Why should he pursue something that is not out there?

bshall2105
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
How do you know? Do you talk to Walt? Why should he pursue something that is not out there?

He said he gets the feeling, he didn't say it was a complete fact.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 03:50 PM
The Relievers have been pitching great the last month.

Masset has been nothing but outstanding the last 28 days with a .521 OPS against. Masset is here to stay. He's not to be replaced.

Rhodes, obviously doesn't get replaced.

Cordero, because of his contract, can't get replaced.

Bill Bray is coming back from 3 years of injuries, so he's going to have ups and downs. His last two weeks have been poor with an OPS-Against of 1.326, but overall, the last 28 days, his OPS-Against has been a decent .711. Bray is extremely talented and the REDS' fans will just have to be patient and let him work his way back into the Majors. It's not like he's Carlos Fisher, where he just needs a lot of experience. The experience Bray needs he can get this season. Get Bray through this season and he becomes a very good reliever for us next season, while at the same time giving us periods of good results this season, too, like he did the first half of July.

If Walt got impatient and wanted to go after a "sure thing Reliever", he could replace Bray, sending Bray back to the minors if Bill Bray doesn't turn it around this week. But, it's likely that Bray doesn't get sent back to the Minors, as Carlos Fisher will be the first to go. Bray's the only other left-hander other than Rhodes. It would take a bona-fide, sure-thing Left-hander to replace Bray.

Logan Ondrusek is by far the best Reliever on the team right now. Over the last 28 days, opponents have an OPS-Against of .244. .244!!!! I'm not going to bother to look it up, but I'm sure there isn't another pitcher in the Majors who's done better.

So far that's a lot of pitchers who can't be replaced.

Ondrusek
Rhodes
Cordero
Bray
Masset

Walt could get really bold and try to trade Cordero. But, why? Cordero has an OPS-Against of .642 the last 28 days and .327 the last 14 days. He's pitching right now like the $60M pitcher we signed him to be.

That only leaves 2 bullpen positions to replace....Jordan Smith's and Carlos Fisher's.

Over the last 14 days, Jordan Smith has an OPS against of .399. On the season, his OPS is a very decent .684. Sure, Smith could get replaced, but why? He's pitching great right now, is improving as a Rookie as the season progresses. Ride with him and see how it goes.

That leaves one bullpen spot to play with.

Harang, Bailey and Mike Lincoln are all on the DL. Along with Burton, Herrera, Springer, Isringhausen, Owings, Del Rosario, Maloney, LeCure, Fisher, and Chapman, the REDS have all the bullpen help they need.

We all know why the REDS are losing games:

1. Orlando Cabrera sucks both Offensively and Defensively and bats 2nd in the lineup.

2. Bruce chokes with Runners in Scoring position.

3. Dusty plays the "Statue known as Miguel Cairo" at 3rd base too much.

4. Johnny Gomes plays poor defense, AND he makes too many outs. (.289 OBP last 28 days, and just .319 on the season).

5. Scott Rolen is old and his health problems have caught up with the team and Dusty Baker doesn't pick a good replacement for Rolen because Dusty isn't a good Manager.

6. Dusty Baker is not a good Manager.

So, in conclusion. Anyone barking up the "our bullpen needs improvement tree" is barking up the wrong tree. Improving our bullpen won't help the team. Improving any and all of the above 6 reasons why the REDS aren't winning will improve the team. (Would love to see Dusty Baker fired and immediately replaced with Rick Sweet. What better way to get rid of Dusty Baker than to fire him right now?)

brm7675
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
The Relievers have been pitching great the last month.

Masset has been nothing but outstanding the last 28 days with a .521 OPS against. Masset is here to stay. He's not to be replaced.

Rhodes, obviously doesn't get replaced.

Cordero, because of his contract, can't get replaced.

Bill Bray is coming back from 3 years of injuries, so he's going to have ups and downs. His last two weeks have been poor with an OPS-Against of 1.326, but overall, the last 28 days, his OPS-Against has been a decent .711. Bray is extremely talented and the REDS' fans will just have to be patient and let him work his way back into the Majors. It's not like he's Carlos Fisher, where he just needs a lot of experience. The experience Bray needs he can get this season. Get Bray through this season and he becomes a very good reliever for us next season, while at the same time giving us periods of good results this season, too, like he did the first half of July.

If Walt got impatient and wanted to go after a "sure thing Reliever", he could replace Bray, sending Bray back to the minors if Bill Bray doesn't turn it around this week. But, it's likely that Bray doesn't get sent back to the Minors, as Carlos Fisher will be the first to go. Bray's the only other left-hander other than Rhodes. It would take a bona-fide, sure-thing Left-hander to replace Bray.

Logan Ondrusek is by far the best Reliever on the team right now. Over the last 28 days, opponents have an OPS-Against of .244. .244!!!! I'm not going to bother to look it up, but I'm sure there isn't another pitcher in the Majors who's done better.

So far that's a lot of pitchers who can't be replaced.

Ondrusek
Rhodes
Cordero
Bray
Masset

Walt could get really bold and try to trade Cordero. But, why? Cordero has an OPS-Against of .642 the last 28 days and .327 the last 14 days. He's pitching right now like the $60M pitcher we signed him to be.

That only leaves 2 bullpen positions to replace....Jordan Smith's and Carlos Fisher's.

Over the last 14 days, Jordan Smith has an OPS against of .399. On the season, his OPS is a very decent .684. Sure, Smith could get replaced, but why? He's pitching great right now, is improving as a Rookie as the season progresses. Ride with him and see how it goes.

That leaves one bullpen spot to play with.

Harang, Bailey and Mike Lincoln are all on the DL. Along with Burton, Herrera, Springer, Isringhausen, Owings, Del Rosario, Maloney, LeCure, Fisher, and Chapman, the REDS have all the bullpen help they need.

We all know why the REDS are losing games:

1. Orlando Cabrera sucks both Offensively and Defensively and bats 2nd in the lineup.

2. Bruce chokes with Runners in Scoring position.

3. Dusty plays the "Statue known as Miguel Cairo" at 3rd base too much.

4. Johnny Gomes plays poor defense, AND he makes too many outs. (.289 OBP last 28 days, and just .319 on the season).

5. Scott Rolen is old and his health problems have caught up with the team and Dusty Baker doesn't pick a good replacement for Rolen because Dusty isn't a good Manager.

6. Dusty Baker is not a good Manager.

So, in conclusion. Anyone barking up the "our bullpen needs improvement tree" is barking up the wrong tree. Improving our bullpen won't help the team. Improving any and all of the above 6 reasons why the REDS aren't winning will improve the team. (Would love to see Dusty Baker fired and immediately replaced with Rick Sweet. What better way to get rid of Dusty Baker than to fire him right now?)

STOP IT, using facts will get you no where...

PS: Instead of Sweet hire either Buck Showalter or Freddie Gonzalez