PDA

View Full Version : What's the buzz in town? Part 2

Magdal
07-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Last month I asked if people were starting to get into the Reds. The response was mixed....so now, as the Reds are still up there in the standings, is there a better buzz on the talk shows, around the water coolers and on the bus to work?

bounty37h
07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
"They still have a team"?

sabometrics
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
They've been out of town or on the ASB for the better part of this month, with only seven home games in 25 days. I'd say the chatter is the same or even less at the moment. Out of sight, out of mind for the casuals.

Carin4Narron
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Is there a bee swarm in the Nati?

sivman17
07-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Is there a bee swarm in the Nati?

it's probably a vuvuzela

NeilHamburger
07-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Last night all the late night sports talk shows covered the Bengals opening their camp this week. There were 10 times the phone calls on channel 9 compared to a Reds topic. This just isn't a baseball town anymore, and quite frankly just looking at attendance they were always a little overrated in terms of being a "great baseball town".

In all fairness though, this team is 25-25 since May 29th. They aren't exactly playing great baseball. The only reason they are so close is because the Cards aren't playing great either, sans that one stretch after the break.

AintlifeGrande
07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
And if the Bengals sign T.O.,that will be all the talk.

mlh1981
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
We are witnessing the damage from a decade of losing, in terms of P.R. and attendance.

A lot people just don't believe in this team.

Magdal
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
And if the Bengals sign T.O.,that will be all the talk.Yes, I hear that it's down to the Bengals and the Rams. (only teams interested)

BuckWild03
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes, I hear that it's down to the Bengals and the Rams. (only teams interested)

Rams are out. Jets are now in the mix.

Magdal
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Rams are out. Jets are now in the mix.OK, thanks.

mroby85
07-27-2010, 05:11 PM
From what i've read the Jets aren't making a very serious offer, basically just offering the minimum. Bengals set a deadline for T.O. to decide by Wednesday though, really hope they get him, that offense could be lethal if you add him in the mix with Ocho, Bryant, Shipley, and Gresham! Who Dey!

1990REDS
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Last month I asked if people were starting to get into the Reds. The response was mixed....so now, as the Reds are still up there in the standings, is there a better buzz on the talk shows, around the water coolers and on the bus to work?

Does the fact that this thread actually turned into a bengals thread answer your question?

mroby85
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Getcha Popcorn ready!!! T.O. is a Bengal! :D

Magdal
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Does the fact that this thread actually turned into a bengals thread answer your question?Yes, pretty much!

SeeinRed
07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Give it time, people will come back around. The Reds have been so bad for so long that there are still a lot of skeptical fans. Even I still find myself wondering when they will fall out of the race and I'm as optomistic as they come. People are just so set on the idea that the Reds will fall out of contention that they just can't enjoy what is happening right now.

The good news it that this team is built for the long haul. Not just this season, but for many more. I predict you will see Cincinnatians at fever pitch if the Reds are still in it for another month or so.

webbbj
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
i think the hype in cincy can finally come when they play the cardinals in august and can be in first place after that series winning 2 of 3. i think that could gain some momentum heading into september.

bounty37h
07-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Getcha Popcorn ready!!! T.O. is a Bengal! :D

Good Lord, another reason for me to hate the Bengals, they sign the guy I probably hate more then any other player in the NFL.

BuckWild03
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I think the sold out weekend series with the Braves gave the Reds an awesome opportunity to create some buzz for themselves in Cincinnati and they did not disappoint.

The upcoming series with the Cards will be huge!

Magdal
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I think the sold out weekend series with the Braves gave the Reds an awesome opportunity to create some buzz for themselves in Cincinnati and they did not disappoint.

The upcoming series with the Cards will be huge!I read in another thread that the 1st 2 games wil be sold out. Pretty good for a week day game! I hope ESPN picks up 1 of the games. Or MLB TV.

10xWSChamps
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I hope to see a big crowd in Cincinnati for the upcoming series. Against the Cardinals, only the Cubs seem to be able to fill the stadium in this division. The Astros used to do it all the time until they started to suck a few years ago. The Brewers did it for like one year, but it was half Cardinals fans there.

We need another rival in this division. Houston used to be it, since we faced them 2x in NLCS series the last decade but they are so bad now it isn't there anymore. And the Cubs will always be the number 1 rival to the Cardinals, but except for 07 and 08 they've been average/bad for as long as I've been alive...

sabometrics
08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I hope to see a big crowd in Cincinnati for the upcoming series. Against the Cardinals, only the Cubs seem to be able to fill the stadium in this division. The Astros used to do it all the time until they started to suck a few years ago. The Brewers did it for like one year, but it was half Cardinals fans there.

We need another rival in this division. Houston used to be it, since we faced them 2x in NLCS series the last decade but they are so bad now it isn't there anymore. And the Cubs will always be the number 1 rival to the Cardinals, but except for 07 and 08 they've been average/bad for as long as I've been alive...

The crowds from here on out are expected to be big regardless of the opponent. Early estimates for the next homestand are expecting crowds of 30k+ not only for the Cards, but the Marlins as well. The closer to the end of the season, the stronger the attendance will be.

I'm confident that next season, in combination with a strong home team, the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers will continue to draw strong crowds to the GABP within the division. Pittsburgh does not travel well. This won't change. Houston travels better than them, but geographic reasons keep them from being as well-traveled as the top 3.