PDA

View Full Version : If there was just one player you could add who would that be?

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I would want Stephen Drew and get rid of Orlando Cabrera.

My second choice would be to get Jeff Keppinger and get rid of Miguel Cairo.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Within reason I guess you are asking obviously.

Drew would be a good pick up obviously. I would have a hard time disagreeing with that one.

Brandon League from the Mariners, or Jeff Baker from the Cubs because hes been pretty good for his career against LH pitching. .297/.353/.545

Fon Duc Tow
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Josh Hamilton...

lol

Hillsdale87
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Why are you in such a hurry to get rid of Cairo? He's been a much better hitter than Keppinger this year.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Why are you in such a hurry to get rid of Cairo? He's been a much better hitter than Keppinger this year.
Keppinger has had twice the PA this season so comparing seasonal stats really doesnt seem like a fair fight, and has a career .336 OBP, and a .726 career OPS compared to Cairos .317 OBP, and .677 OPS. Cairo has only had 3 out of 15 higher than Keppingers career averages.

If I had to guess which guy is going to be higher at the end of the year I think it would be a fairly obvious choice.

Cairo has done well, but I dont like his chances that he ends up better. I dont want to sway the topic this way but I just wanted to put in my opinion on why I would swap them as well.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Brandon League from the Mariners, or Jeff Baker from the Cubs because hes been pretty good for his career against LH pitching. .297/.353/.545

League would be perfect for us.

We really struggle allowing inherited runners to score (3rd worst in the NL). A guy like League can come in and get the "needed strikeout" when there are runners on base and less than 2 outs.

Never heard of Jeff Baker. Those are great numbers, and when Brandon Phillips isn't hitting (and Rolen is out), we have nothing coming from the right side of the plate. He could probably accept a "part-time" role, too, I assume.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Keppinger has had twice the PA this season so comparing seasonal stats really doesnt seem like a fair fight, and has a career .336 OBP, and a .726 career OPS compared to Cairos .317 OBP, and .677 OPS. Cairo has only had 3 out of 15 higher than Keppingers career averages.

If I had to guess which guy is going to be higher at the end of the year I think it would be a fairly obvious choice.

Cairo has done well, but I dont like his chances that he ends up better. I dont want to sway the topic this way but I just wanted to put in my opinion on why I would swap them as well.

Plus, there's a huge difference defensively between Cairo and Keppinger.

Hillsdale87
07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree that Keppinger's track record is historically better than Cairo's. I actually really like him as a hitter and think he's a good utility player. However, Cairo is having a great year and playing far better than anyone expected. I just find it funny that people still seem to be in such a hurry to get rid of the guy that's been one of our best hitters for the past month.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree that Keppinger's track record is historically better than Cairo's. I actually really like him as a hitter and think he's a good utility player. However, Cairo is having a great year and playing far better than anyone expected. I just find it funny that people still seem to be in such a hurry to get rid of the guy that's been one of our best hitters for the past month.

He simply can't play Defense.

There's nothing good about that.

sivman17
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Jayson Werth, Corey Hart, Josh Willingham, Jorge Cantu, or Miguel Tejada.

1990REDS
07-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Stephen Drew. he would be a great fit. will never happen but its a nice thought.

PedroBourbon
07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Josh Hamilton...

lol

You beat me to it by an hour. That was the first thought that came to my mind! Lol.

bgwilly31
07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I would want Stephen Drew and get rid of Orlando Cabrera.

My second choice would be to get Jeff Keppinger and get rid of Miguel Cairo.

wow cant i cant disagree with you more.

I say your wayyy off base.

Biggest need on this team is bullpen and hitting.

So add a great bullpen arm.

And bring back josh hamilton.

If we had that right now were heading to the ship.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Biggest need on this team is bullpen and hitting.

So add a great bullpen arm.

And bring back josh hamilton.

If we had that right now were heading to the ship.

Let's go ask God to send down Sandy Koufax, too. That makes as much sense as what you're saying.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Biggest need on this team is bullpen.

The Relievers have been pitching great the last month.

Masset has been nothing but outstanding the last 28 days with a .521 OPS against. Masset is here to stay. He's not to be replaced.

Rhodes, obviously doesn't get replaced.

Cordero, because of his contract, can't get replaced.

Bill Bray is coming back from 3 years of injuries, so he's going to have ups and downs. His last two weeks have been poor with an OPS-Against of 1.326, but overall, the last 28 days, his OPS-Against has been a decent .711. Bray is extremely talented and the REDS' fans will just have to be patient and let him work his way back into the Majors. It's not like he's Carlos Fisher, where he just needs a lot of experience. The experience Bray needs he can get this season. Get Bray through this season and he becomes a very good reliever for us next season, while at the same time giving us periods of good results this season, too, like he did the first half of July.

If Walt got impatient and wanted to go after a "sure thing Reliever", he could replace Bray, sending Bray back to the minors if Bill Bray doesn't turn it around this week. But, it's likely that Bray doesn't get sent back to the Minors, as Carlos Fisher will be the first to go. Bray's the only other left-hander other than Rhodes. It would take a bona-fide, sure-thing Left-hander to replace Bray.

Logan Ondrusek is by far the best Reliever on the team right now. Over the last 28 days, opponents have an OPS-Against of .244. .244!!!! I'm not going to bother to look it up, but I'm sure there isn't another pitcher in the Majors who's done better.

So far that's a lot of pitchers who can't be replaced.

Ondrusek
Rhodes
Cordero
Bray
Masset

Walt could get really bold and try to trade Cordero. But, why? Cordero has an OPS-Against of .642 the last 28 days and .327 the last 14 days. He's pitching right now like the $60M pitcher we signed him to be.

That only leaves 2 bullpen positions to replace....Jordan Smith's and Carlos Fisher's.

Over the last 14 days, Jordan Smith has an OPS against of .399. On the season, his OPS is a very decent .684. Sure, Smith could get replaced, but why? He's pitching great right now, is improving as a Rookie as the season progresses. Ride with him and see how it goes.

That leaves one bullpen spot to play with.

Harang, Bailey and Mike Lincoln are all on the DL. Along with Burton, Herrera, Springer, Isringhausen, Owings, Del Rosario, Maloney, LeCure, Fisher, and Chapman, the REDS have all the bullpen help they need.

We all know why the REDS are losing games:

1. Orlando Cabrera sucks both Offensively and Defensively and bats 2nd in the lineup.

2. Bruce chokes with Runners in Scoring position.

3. Dusty plays the "Statue known as Miguel Cairo" at 3rd base too much.

4. Johnny Gomes plays poor defense, AND he makes too many outs. (.289 OBP last 28 days, and just .319 on the season).

5. Scott Rolen is old and his health problems have caught up with the team and Dusty Baker doesn't pick a good replacement for Rolen because Dusty isn't a good Manager.

6. Dusty Baker is not a good Manager.

So, in conclusion. Anyone barking up the "our bullpen needs improvement tree" is barking up the wrong tree. Improving our bullpen won't help the team. Improving any and all of the above 6 reasons why the REDS aren't winning will improve the team. (Would love to see Dusty Baker fired and immediately replaced with Rick Sweet. What better way to get rid of Dusty Baker than to fire him right now?)

GIDP
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Has Cairo been better than expected? Yes
Is Cairo 36 years old? Yes

Not trying to dismiss what he has done, but you have to see where everyone is coming from when they dont trust it correct?

Krawhitham
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
The Relievers have been pitching great the last month.

Masset has been nothing but outstanding the last 28 days with a .521 OPS against. Masset is here to stay. He's not to be replaced.

Rhodes, obviously doesn't get replaced.

Cordero, because of his contract, can't get replaced.

Bill Bray is coming back from 3 years of injuries, so he's going to have ups and downs. His last two weeks have been poor with an OPS-Against of 1.326, but overall, the last 28 days, his OPS-Against has been a decent .711. Bray is extremely talented and the REDS' fans will just have to be patient and let him work his way back into the Majors.

Bray can get his grove back in the minors not in the middle of a pennant race. He has a 6.48 ERA plus he lets 67% of inherited runners score. He has a BAA with runners on of .308, scoring position of .500, and Scoring Posn, 2 out .571. Not someone you want to bring in a late close game with runners already on base. So he is pretty much useless

XU Lou
07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Let's go ask God to send down Sandy Koufax, too. That makes as much sense as what you're saying.

Uh, I think Sandy is still alive. But I doubt his fastball is.

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Uh, I think Sandy is still alive.

I didn't even think about that part.

Hondo
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I would want OF Corey Hart...

You all thought I would say Greinke!

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I would want OF Corey Hart...

You all thought I would say Greinke!

I'll take Corey Hart, too.

sivman17
07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I'd take Corey Hart or Jayson Werth. Trade Maloney or Bailey and Alonso.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM

They value Werth and Hart more than they are worth. The Brew Crew could use Alonso but obviously Phily couldn't.

scott91575
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM

The Phillies are essentially asking for prospects that will get them Oswalt. I don't think that quite cuts it.

Maybe Corey Hart. I would like it. Not sure how the clubhouse would feel though. He should replace Gomes in LF, and Gomes is certainly a favorite. Perhaps he could play right field against lefties with Gomes in left. In the end, he is one of the best impact players without giving up any prospect currently on the MLB team not named Bailey.

scott91575
07-27-2010, 12:31 AM
They value Werth and Hart more than they are worth. The Brew Crew could use Alonso but obviously Phily couldn't.

As I stated, the Phillies don't plan on using any prospects they get for Werth. They plan on trading them to the Astros to get Oswalt.

DaytonFlyer
07-27-2010, 08:48 AM
This team simply has to get more even offensive production if they want to go anywhere. You can't be shut out something like 20 times in a season and expect to be contenders.

bounty37h
07-27-2010, 09:43 AM

You ask a question then rail the guy who answers it? Josh Hamilton is alive and well, so what you said makes no sense whatsoever to be honest with you.

Hillsdale87
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Has Cairo been better than expected? Yes
Is Cairo 36 years old? Yes

Not trying to dismiss what he has done, but you have to see where everyone is coming from when they dont trust it correct?

I for sure understand where everybody is coming from. I did not want Cairo to make the team out of Spring Training just like everyone else. I realize that he's playing over his head right now and that this probably will not last. However, to this point he has not been a problem, so I don't understand why getting rid of him is Priority #2. This team has other glaring problems, like the fact that the outfield production has been abysmal. I would like to see us make a trade for Corey Hart and put Gomes on the bench.

bgwilly31
07-27-2010, 12:06 PM
You ask a question then rail the guy who answers it? Josh Hamilton is alive and well, so what you said makes no sense whatsoever to be honest with you.

I was thinking the same thing. Whats the point of this thread other than fantasy land. :confused:

Kingspoint
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Whats the point of this thread other than fantasy land. :confused:

It wasn't a "fantasy" question.

I was expecting intelligence in one's answers, not "I'll take Josh Hamilton or AROD or Albert Pujols", or anything like that.

Kingspoint
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I for sure understand where everybody is coming from. I did not want Cairo to make the team out of Spring Training just like everyone else. I realize that he's playing over his head right now and that this probably will not last. However, to this point he has not been a problem, so I don't understand why getting rid of him is Priority #2. This team has other glaring problems, like the fact that the outfield production has been abysmal. I would like to see us make a trade for Corey Hart and put Gomes on the bench.

If you just take one game from last week, he was responsible Defensively for 3 or 4 runs in the game.

You can't underestimate the value of Defense of the value of "lack of Defense", which is what Cairo brings (or doesn't bring).

kfm
07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Is there a reason no one is saying Arod or Pujols? Arod can still play short. I love Votto, but he can play somewhere else if it means you can put Pujols on your team.

Kingspoint
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Is there a reason no one is saying Arod or Pujols? Arod can still play short. I love Votto, but he can play somewhere else if it means you can put Pujols on your team.

I didn't mean for it to be a "fantasy" question, but a legitimate question about the players the REDS are most likely to target.

There's a "fantasy" section for fantasy questions.

kfm
07-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I didn't mean for it to be a "fantasy" question, but a legitimate question about the players the REDS are most likely to target.

There's a "fantasy" section for fantasy questions.

Ok, that was not listed any where in the question, but I understand what you meant to say.

bounty37h
07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
It wasn't a "fantasy" question.

I was expecting intelligence in one's answers, not "I'll take Josh Hamilton or AROD or Albert Pujols", or anything like that.

The question was "if there was just one player you could add who would it be". Hamilton "could" be added, not likely at all, but could be, dont think you need to question anyone else's intelligence.

Trace's Daddy
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Greinke is my choice. He would help more than just this year. Plus it wouldn't put as much pressure for Volquez to perform. Put him back in AAA and let him ease back.

Girevik
07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think he's available, but I'd back the prospect truck up for Johnson from FLA, and to a slightly lesser degree for Greinke. Problem is, what the Reds REALLY need for this year is a bat and I've not really heard any names out there that would be a dramatic improvement.