PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like No Major Moves in the Offing

TheBigLebowski
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Jays are asking a king's ransom for Scott Downs...apparently told the Yanks it would take Jesus Montero. No way in hades he's worth that. I think the asking price for Downs will eventually go....well, down....but I don't want to be in that bidding war.

Oswalt's not coming here. One universal quality amongst MLB GM's is a hatred of trading within the division, and I don't think we need him anyway.

Corey Hart? See above.

Jayson Werth? Lots of teams want him....will inflate his value and I don't think he's that darned good anyway.

Really no one else out there that fits our needs. I know many would like an upgrade to OCab, but he's here....at least for the rest of the season.

Volquez's last two outings have been very concerning considering we were all expecting Instant Ace upon his return...looks like he's going to be a work in progress.

Others want to move Cordero to a middle relief role and acquire another closer....ain't happenin'. The Cincinnati Reds do not pay middle relievers 48 million dollars.

So, looks like we're headed down the stretch with the horses in-house. We'll eventually get Bailey back and likely stick him in the pen. Remains to be seen how hard they'll push Leake and Wood. Harang is another big question mark. Still, I do think we'll have the SP we'll need to contend. I'm also not crazy about dealing guys like Alonso, presumably for OF help, for a couple of reasons. First, with Heisey playing well and Dickerson apparently due back soon, we're already 5 deep there. Secondly, Alonso has not had the best year and I don't like the idea of selling low. There is no doubt in my mind he will eventually become a slugger in the bigs, be it here or elsewhere. We trade him now and we don't get proper value.

brm7675
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
right now I think it is safe to say we have probably the best overall pitching (SP/RP) that this team has seen in decades. Logan Ondrusek has returned from his demotion and is flat out nasty. The Smith kid we called up from AA has been nothing but a great surprise and good. Even though Massett and Co-Co can give anyone a heart condition when they come in, both seem to work they way out of it. None of our young SP have shown any signs of being young SP and "if" Izzy/Springer/Harang/Bailey can come up and contribute anything then you have to like our pitching staff. The only concern I see right now is age, the age and health of the right side of our infield. But that would diminish if our manager would manage better. Orlando shows that with rest he can produce, so why not play him 5 games, then off 2, then play 5 and so on and do the same with Rolen. The talent is here to contend, the question is can the manager make the right moves.

TheBigLebowski
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Per John Fay's twitter:

Jocketty: Very good chance we won't do anything before the deadline. #reds

scott91575
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
The trading deadline has not been the same since the advent of the Wild Card. Too many buyers and not enough sellers. That makes it really tough to get an impact player for a decent price.

Texas Pete
07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
What about Astros RP Brandon Lyon if the Astros pay some money on his contract into a potential deal as well?

GIDP
07-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Some St. Louis station said the Reds were in on Oswalt. I sincerely doubt it just because its a radio station.

sagevic
07-28-2010, 02:08 PM
The Reds would not be thrilled with paying Corder so much and not have him close games, but if he couldn't get a save they wouldn't have a choice. The fact is he converts 82% of his save opportunities. that is why he keeps his job despite not making it pretty very often.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Who are all these people that were expecting instant ace upon Volquez's return?

FlyerFanatic
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Some St. Louis station said the Reds were in on Oswalt. I sincerely doubt it just because its a radio station.

ken rosenthal reported reds had called astros, expressed interest, no names were thrown around though

Girevik
07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I think a lot of asking prices will go down when Friday evening rolls around, but I think the biggest hurdle to the Reds making a trade is that they need a bat and there just aren't that many out there.

benchpress
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Oswalt does not want to play in Cincy....Move on

Btrester151
07-28-2010, 04:26 PM
This from an astros message board about what they would expect for Oswalt

"Yonder Alonso Zack Cozart Travis Wood Jonathan Correa and Henry Rodriguez"

hmmmmmm no thanks

I know that that is just some guy on a message board making up name, but this is fun...Next

GIDP
07-28-2010, 04:27 PM
This from an astros message board about what they would expect for Oswalt

"Yonder Alonso Zack Cozart Travis Wood Jonathan Correa and Henry Rodriguez"

hmmmmmm no thanks

I know that that is just some guy on a message board making up name, but this is fun...Next

Maybe if they ate all of his contract lol.

Btrester151
07-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I heard Jayson Stark say this morning that It will take 2 B or B+ Prospects to get Owsalt. What 2 would you give.

Would you trade Frazier and Homer? Would Houston take that deal? I am on the fence on that. I really could see Homer eventually being moved over to a closers role due to depth in the starting rotation. Would you rather substitute Bailey with Wood?

BurgervilleBuck
07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Oswalt is not coming to Cincinnati. Move on.

Btrester151
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Oswalt is not coming to Cincinnati. Move on.

or you could relax and realize that this is a message board. Everything is always speculation. I know Oswalt isn't coming here. Just like Chapman would never sign here. Move on.................

Hondo
07-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I think Bailey would be a good starter for the Astros...

ILoveWilly
07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Houston can just toil in irrelevance with Oswalt, while he goes somewhere else whne his contract is up, and they get nothing for him. Genius move Astros.

Hondo
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
His ERA before the Reds shalacked him was pretty good... I think he is just tired of being irrelevent... Like he pitches with not a very good chance of winning...

The Pitcher to get would have been Lee, so we missed on that...

markymark69
07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Oswalt does not want to play in Cincy....Move on

Not necessarily. According to this - he hasn't ruled out the Reds. Granted it's not likely. But it's not because Oswalt ruled out the Reds.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/more-teams-pitching-for-oswalt-390861.html

BLEEDS
07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Not necessarily. According to this - he hasn't ruled out the Reds. Granted it's not likely. But it's not because Oswalt ruled out the Reds.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/more-teams-pitching-for-oswalt-390861.html

Yes, those darn facts get in the way of opinion like 99.9% of the time!

Oswalt would be FOOLISH to rule the Reds out. I'm sure that was from many years ago when we may have been on his "list" - certainly because he was like 78-0 against us, why would he want to take those stats away from himself? And, btw, we used to royally SUCK, I would have put the Reds on my list too.

But now - hmm, let's see. Neck and Neck for the Division, in the Wild Card race. Walt has the money to spend, would probably guarantee his next year - even if that means giving up Harang and Arroyo both for next season. What exactly is there to hate again?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ILoveWilly
07-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I would take on Tejada, but the Reds won't add salary. He's probably really cheap to get too considering his salary. His OBP is crappy like Cabrera's, but I like his chances of being revitalized on a contender down the stretch than Cabrera's, and he had a .340 OBP in this division last year with the 'Stros. This will never happen though.

ILoveWilly
07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't even get what we would do IF we someone managed a trade. I think it would not help us a bit to be honest and I'll tell you why: because basically the Reds organization would be more likely to demote the younger pitchers like Leake or Wood who for the most part have been OUTSTANDING, rather than the the wild card pitcher Volquez, who is more likely to hurt us than either one of those guys.

That's the main thing I'm worried about with this team, it's being mismanaged where we're going to put in veteran guys who are more likely to get hammered than the younger guys. I hope Harang is just shut down for the year because of this, if he comes back, chances are no matter what Wood does, bye bye Wood. Sorry dude, we're going to take the pitcher who's been here years even though he's past his prime and doesn't give us near as good a chance to win, but he's the veteran and you're not.

GIDP
07-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Tejada is worse than Cabrera in every facet of the game.

bshall2105
07-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Tejada is worse than Cabrera in every facet of the game.

He would probably get a lot of playing time then.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 12:03 AM
He would probably get a lot of playing time then.

:laugh:

Hondo
07-29-2010, 01:06 AM
:laugh:

It has come down to this...?

Nice...

Girevik
07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't even get what we would do IF we someone managed a trade. I think it would not help us a bit to be honest and I'll tell you why: because basically the Reds organization would be more likely to demote the younger pitchers like Leake or Wood who for the most part have been OUTSTANDING, rather than the the wild card pitcher Volquez, who is more likely to hurt us than either one of those guys.

Actually one of my concerns, and the only reason I'd consider adding a SP, is that I don't know what the Reds' plans are for shutting down Leak when he gets to that magic number of innings that is supposed to ruing a rookies arm. If they shut him down in another month, who's going to fill his slot?

scott91575
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Actually one of my concerns, and the only reason I'd consider adding a SP, is that I don't know what the Reds' plans are for shutting down Leak when he gets to that magic number of innings that is supposed to ruing a rookies arm. If they shut him down in another month, who's going to fill his slot?

Bailey or Harang.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Bailey or Harang.

Thats great for other teams...

Girevik
07-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Bailey or Harang.

Exactly why I'm concerned.

Vottomatic
07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Latest rumor: Reds to trade for Corey Patterson.

Dusty misses him. :D;)

Fon Duc Tow
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Who do you think we are? The Phillies? The Cardinals?

"We will go to war with what we have."

mlh1981
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
David DeJesus WOULD have been nice.

Perhaps we should see if the Pirates are interested in trading Evan Meek, but then again, our bullpen is faring much better.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
David DeJesus WOULD have been nice.

Perhaps we should see if the Pirates are interested in trading Evan Meek, but then again, our bullpen is faring much better.

Trust me Dude, you didn't want David DeJesus... I live close to KC now and outside of Frank White... Not too many people are high on him...

He wa haing a good Batting Average Year but that was dropping...

I would rather have Dotel than Meek to set up Cordero....

brm7675
07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Trust me Dude, you didn't want David DeJesus... I live close to KC now and outside of Frank White... Not too many people are high on him...

He wa haing a good Batting Average Year but that was dropping...

I would rather have Dotel than Meek to set up Cordero....

We have Masset to that or Rhodes or Logan ...

rolenmvp
07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I was listening to mlb the show radio network on XM and said that talks were heating up between the reds and brewers about getting corey hart.

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I was listening to mlb the show radio network on XM and said that talks were heating up between the reds and brewers about getting corey hart.

Did they mention any names?

Vottomatic
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Isn't Hart a FA next year?

GIDP
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Isn't Hart a FA next year?

I think he still has 1 year of arbitration.

brm7675
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I think he still has 1 year of arbitration.

Why would we want Hart?

GIDP
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
maybe even 2

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Why would we want Hart?

Because he's had a better season than 2 maybe 3 of our outfielders, isn't that expensive, and could be brought back as a long term option.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Hes had a better year than all 3. The problem is hes been pretty inconsistent from year to year.

brm7675
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Because he's had a better season than 2 maybe 3 of our outfielders, isn't that expensive, and could be brought back as a long term option.

He's hurt right now, his numbers are overinflated and will come down and long term is not better then either Stubbs or Bruce. So if you get him, do you really sit Bruce?

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Hes had a better year than all 3. The problem is hes been pretty inconsistent from year to year.

Who, outside of the elite players in the MLB, aren't inconsistent from year to year? I think that Corey Hart would be a great addition to the lineup.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
He's hurt right now, his numbers are overinflated and will come down and long term is not better then either Stubbs or Bruce. So if you get him, do you really sit Bruce?

Overinflated? HA HA

Okay, prove that!

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 06:58 PM

I would platoon all of Gomes, Bruce, and Hart. Hart would be my main left fielder, Bruce in right, with Gomes switching in and out at each position.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Who, outside of the elite players in the MLB, aren't inconsistent from year to year? I think that Corey Hart would be a great addition to the lineup.

I think he would be better than Gomes for sure, but he has been pretty inconsistent. He has years when hes almost a .900 OPS bat, then the next hes a mid .700 bat. Its hard to judge the guys true talent when you dont know which one you are going to get thats all I'm saying. He is like the Reds offense reduced to a single player if you get what I'm saying.

Trace's Daddy
07-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I would platoon all of Gomes, Bruce, and Hart. Hart would be my main left fielder, Bruce in right, with Gomes switching in and out at each position.

Word :thumbup:

Girevik
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM

The the Reds can ride THIS hot year deep into the playoffs, I'm okay with that.