PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Down, Who Comes Up?

HalMorrisRules
08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Russ Springer.

Reds.com (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100801&content_id=12910474&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin)

1990REDS
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
im intrested to see how how does. I know hes been doing well in AAA.

bshall2105
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Good move, Fisher can go back to being the Mariano Rivera of AAA. Hopefully Springer looks as good up here than he did in AAA. The bullpen is finally looking like a strength again.

Reds
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
"He adds experience," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He's been in pennant races, World Series. We're young [in the bullpen]. We need a stabilizer to go along with Arthur [Rhodes] and [Francisco] Cordero."

and w/o Cordero for tomorrows game he could be used sooner than later.

ILoveWilly
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Fisher was only used for long relief basically in his short time, like Owings was. I have a feeling Springer will be used more frequently. At least that should take more strain off the rest of the pen guys, I never got the point of having a reliever spot that you refused to put into the game, it was just a waste of a roster spot.

sabometrics
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I haven't really given Springer a close look until now, but now that I have I'm a bit worried that we have a 41 y.o. righty that has spent his entire career living below .50 GO/AO, and he will be pitching in GABP. Last year it was at .26, in AAA so far this year it's been .27

I'd love for him to be another Rhodes-ish deal and see him pitch 3.00 ERA baseball or better, but I'm wary of this move. Either way, going by his recent track record it looks like he can perform at a serviceable 4.00 ERA or so. I've been secretly hoping that Chapman would get the call soon, so I'm a bit disappointed though.

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
FWIW, this move eliminates the one open spot we had on the 40-man roster. Someone will have to be taken off when Dickerson is activated (either Nix DFA or Mike Lincoln are my guesses).

sabometrics
08-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Lincoln is already on the 60-day DL, he's not currently taking up a 40-man spot.

Krawhitham
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
clearly he needed to be sent down

4.2 ininngs 5-SO 0-BB 0.187-BAA

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Lincoln is already on the 60-day DL, he's not currently taking up a 40-man spot.

Oh yeah. I even pointed this out the other day in my "How's it going to play out" thread. Sheesh. My memory goes more and more each day.

sabometrics
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Candidates for Waivers when Dickerson gets off the DL:

Lance Nix
Russ Springer
Micah Owings (?)

No one else seems in danger imo. Owings seems to be a player that does not factor into this team future at all, this year a bunch of other arms have progressed and passed him on the organizational depth chart, and I would have no problem with the team pulling him from the 40-man. If Springer doesn't perform well over the next 3 weeks or so he may be the obvious choice. Nix also naturally has to be worried for his job.

bshall2105
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Candidates for Waivers when Dickerson gets off the DL:

Lance Nix
Russ Springer
Micah Owings (?)

No one else seems in danger imo. Owings seems to be a player that does not factor into this team future at all, this year a bunch of other arms have progressed and passed him on the organizational depth chart, and I would have no problem with the team pulling him from the 40-man. If Springer doesn't perform well over the next 3 weeks or so he may be the obvious choice. Nix also naturally has to be worried for his job.

Is Danny Ray a possible canidate to be pulled off the 40 man? I don't see how he helps the Reds at all this year.

Texas Pete
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Springer is a gritty veteran reliever. I like the move.

davereds24
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Is Danny Ray a possible canidate to be pulled off the 40 man? I don't see how he helps the Reds at all this year.

I'd be surprised if the Reds give up on DRH since Rhodes is so old, Chapman will be starting next year, and Bray is made of glass.

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Owings would be a strong candidate for sure. He just doesn't really fit in with this team's future.