PDA

View Full Version : Closer for the future

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Unless something amazing happens, Cordero appears in line to hold down the closer's job in Cinci through the end of next season. I can't see this organization paying a guy $12 million to be a set-up man.

Having said that, are there any thoughts on who might be our closer for the future? Do we have a guy in-house that could be the man? Do Ondrusek or Smith have that potential?

If this thread belongs in the Minor League section, feel free to move it.

aubashbrother
08-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I think both of them have the potential. Masset has the stuff to close. Donnie Joseph also could be a canidate

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I hadn't really thought about Massett, but you're right. His "stuff" is great. I guess the question mark is control.

Kingspoint
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
If he does as well as he did last year or as well as he did last month in July, then we're going to have a great Closer.

redsfan_12
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I like Jordan Smith

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I love Jordan Smith in GABP because he throws that heavy sinker. I'm not sure if his stuff is considered closer quality, though. It could be, I just don't know.

GIDP
08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I like Jordan Smith a ton. I think the fact that he can grown into a higher K rate and still hammer a sinker will play out great. Plus he already has pretty darn good command.

bshall2105
08-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I would love for Jordan Smith to be the future closer, but if Masset is still on the team he will be given every chance in the world to become the guy.

GIDP
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
YouTube - A Bench Clearing Discussion: Carolina Mudcats & Jax Suns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okqFU7ci54)

Tampa Red
08-02-2010, 07:11 AM
I'd like to see Homer get a shot. I think he could thrive in a situation where he doesn't have to worry about utilizing 3 or 4 different pitches. Put Homer in a max effort role for 15 pitches at a time and the sky is the limit.

I think Dusty might even be willing to give Homer a shot in 2011 if Cordero falters. I don't think Dusty would demote Cordero for a Masset, Ondrusek, or Smith.

Chapman would have to be a darkhorse candidate. I anticipate that he will be given every opportunity to start and rightfully so, but you can just feel that he could be the most dominant closer in baseball.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Unless a team has a hammer out in the bullpen, the idea of having one person designated to close is not a very good idea. Do the Reds have that hammer?

Tampa Red
08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Unless a team has a hammer out in the bullpen, the idea of having one person designated to close is not a very good idea. Do the Reds have that hammer?

I agree man. The concept that every team must have a 9th inning closer is ludicrous.

Do I want my best reliver pitching the 9th with a 3 run lead or putting out a fire caused by the starter or another reliever? I know those are the two extremes but the point is valid.

scott91575
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree man. The concept that every team must have a 9th inning closer is ludicrous.

Do I want my best reliver pitching the 9th with a 3 run lead or putting out a fire caused by the starter or another reliever? I know those are the two extremes but the point is valid.

The problem is saves is a money making stat. Your best bullpen guy will want to get saves to make him money. If you don't do that you can kiss him goodbye when his contract is up.

I agree with you 100%, but the save as a stat pretty much dictates how guys have to be used. A bullpen by committee that meets the situation is probably the best for in game managing, but creates lots of problems in the clubhouse. If you are handing your second or third best reliever lots of saves while using your best earlier in the game, there will be lots of issues. Of course it may not actually be your best reliever, it could be your best paid (see Cordero). Yet relievers definitely see a pecking order, and if that pecking order is messed with there will be a bunch of unhappy guys in the bullpen.

RedsFanInBama
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM

It may not be a good idea, but it's life in Major League Baseball. I think the reasons for it are multiple. Adding to what scott said, one is that it does make life easier for the guys in the bullpen when the manager defines a role for them. It clears things up and they are able to somewhat anticipate when they will be needed in a game.

The biggest reason, though, is that it takes the heat off a manager. If the closer blows the game, oh well, the closer blew the game. If you play a matchup game and the game gets blown, everyone is questioning why you didn't have the closer in there.

I don't see it changing any time soon. It's hard to find a team in major league baseball (at least a good one) that doesn't have a clearly defined closer.

Alpha Zero
08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I think that people have forgotten about Jose Arredondo. He was an outstanding under-the-radar pick up this past off season. If he gets healthy and returns to form in 2011, he has the stuff and make up to be a dominant closer for years to come.

08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I am pretty certain that Cordero will not be on the Reds roster next season, even if it takes a Taveras/Rosalas/Miles type deal.

He's not dominant or even reliable anymore, and the Reds have plenty of closer options for next year and beyond.

I personally like Smith, mainly because of his bulldog attitude and apparent unflapability. I also prefer sinkerballers as closers to high K guys. Sinkerballers can get that key DP and give up less homers. If you need a K, you should have a high K somewhere in your pen that doesn't have to be the closer.

couch_manager
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I am pretty certain that Cordero will not be on the Reds roster next season, even if it takes a Taveras/Rosalas/Miles type deal.

He's not dominant or even reliable anymore, and the Reds have plenty of closer options for next year and beyond.

I personally like Smith, mainly because of his bulldog attitude and apparent unflapability. I also prefer sinkerballers as closers to high K guys. Sinkerballers can get that key DP and give up less homers. If you need a K, you should have a high K somewhere in your pen that doesn't have to be the closer.

Cordero will be here next year. The only way they'll be able to trade him is if they eat most of his salary. They wouldn't get much in return either. Why would they do that? We're stuck for him through next year.

I like Smith's demeanor on the mound too. He consistently throws strikes and he looks imposing on the mound. He's got a little more gitty up on the fastball than he's shown too...saw him hit 95 once yesterday.

08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Cordero will be here next year. The only way they'll be able to trade him is if they eat most of his salary. They wouldn't get much in return either. Why would they do that? We're stuck for him through next year.

I like Smith's demeanor on the mound too. He consistently throws strikes and he looks imposing on the mound. He's got a little more gitty up on the fastball than he's shown too...saw him hit 95 once yesterday.

Because he no longer is effective. He is more valuable not pitching for the Reds than he is pitching for the Reds.

I agree the Reds will have to eat most of the contract or take back an equally bad one, but it will be worth it, just like getting rid of Taveras was worth giving up Rosales.

bshall2105
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Because he no longer is effective. He is more valuable not pitching for the Reds than he is pitching for the Reds.

I agree the Reds will have to eat most of the contract or take back an equally bad one, but it will be worth it, just like getting rid of Taveras was worth giving up Rosales.

Taveras' salary was a heck of a lot less than Cordero's. I think we're stuck with him.

Cant Touch This
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree that $12 MM is too high a price tag and more than his current value, but that 97 MPH heater on the inside corner to Heyward was a thing of beauty. I don't know too many pitchers who can throw that one to close out a ballgame. There are certainly far worse options at closer in MLB right now...