Gomes LF
Bruce RF
Heisey CF
Hernandez C
Leake P

At least Heisey got another start.

Homer Bailey
08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
This is really going to happen for 2 weeks in a pennant race.

Sigh.

oneupper
08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Maholm has pitched effectively vs. the REDS so far this year. Maybe this lineup is what's needed to get to him.

(Only 2 ER in 13.2 innings).

Janish 4 for 8 vs, Maholm - Career. :D

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
This is really going to happen for 2 weeks in a pennant race.

Sigh.

And people wanted to know how Dusty got his reputation. The man is obsessed with not rocking players' boats. God forbid a catcher bat higher than 8th. In the long run, it's only a few runs difference -- but those few runs matter a whole bunch right now.

And really Dusty -- if you aren't going to play Stubbs against a mediocre lefty, just send him down to AAA and let him get regular at bats. If you're going to sit an OF today, sit Bruce or Gomes, not Stubbs.

I'll never understand why managers think young players don't deserve the opportunity to break out of slumps while "proven veterans" do. If your team is willing to act on the results of a few weeks' plate appearances over your own assessment of his readiness to be a major leaguer, I seriously question how you go about making decisions.

pedro
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
And people wanted to know how Dusty got his reputation. The man is obsessed with not rocking players' boats. God forbid a catcher bat higher than 8th. In the long run, it's only a few runs difference -- but those few runs matter a whole bunch right now.

Hanigan's been terrible since he came off DL. He should be batting 8th.

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM

And really Dusty -- if you aren't going to play Stubbs against a mediocre lefty, just send him down to AAA and let him get regular at bats. If you're going to sit an OF today, sit Bruce or Gomes, not Stubbs.

I'll never understand why managers think young players don't deserve the opportunity to break out of slumps while "proven veterans" do. If your team is willing to act on the results of a few weeks' plate appearances over your own assessment of his readiness to be a major leaguer, I seriously question how you go about making decisions.

Dusty has been pretty good with sticking with young guys struggling, but he has stated repeatedly that he believes in giving guys some bench time to straighten their heads out. He really can't win for losing around here (and we've been winning, so he's going to lose in the RZ mind). The only young who seems to have not been given much of a chance is Janish, who some argue isn't really young anymore, but then again, his chance has arrived, hasn't it. And I'm not sure how you sit Heisey as hot as he's been. And that's another Dusty mantra, you run with the hot hand.

traderumor
08-03-2010, 03:58 PM

I'll never understand why managers think young players don't deserve the opportunity to break out of slumps while "proven veterans" do. If your team is willing to act on the results of a few weeks' plate appearances over your own assessment of his readiness to be a major leaguer, I seriously question how you go about making decisions.Bruce is younger than Stubbs and he certainly has been given enough rope, to hang himself even. I'm not sure its fair to say its about "not letting a young player break out of a slump on his own."

I think there is also some merit to the idea that young players tend to be still struggling to know how to get themselves out of slumps, or prevent going very deep into one, while vets have the ability to accomplish that in the midst of a MLB season.

reds44
08-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Dickerson has to come off the DL tomorrow, I think you're going to get your wish and Stubbs is going to go to AAA.

I just don't get Janish batting 2nd, it should be Heisey.

Just wait for tomorrow when our 2-3-4 will be Janish-Cairo-Francisco.

_Sir_Charles_
08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Dickerson has to come off the DL tomorrow, I think you're going to get your wish and Stubbs is going to go to AAA.

I just don't get Janish batting 2nd, it should be Heisey.

Just wait for tomorrow when our 2-3-4 will be Janish-Cairo-Francisco.

I'm also mildly frustrated with Paul hitting 2nd, but before we go berserk, let's see what happens. Both Cairo & Janish are getting on base this season at a pretty solid clip. Who knows...might be a good thing. (doubt it though, but Dusty's pushed the right buttons nearly all season long, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.)

Kc61
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Don't know why Bruce is playing against the lefty.

If I had to guess, Stubbs is (as someone suggested) on his way to AAA and Dusty isn't going to start him until after his AAA stint. So Bruce plays by default.

Janish has hit pretty well this year so far, I have no complaints with the batting order. Would prefer Votto and Cabrera in the lineup, but what can you do.

pedro
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
If I had to guess, Stubbs is (as someone suggested) on his way to AAA and Dusty isn't going to start him until after his AAA stint. So Bruce plays by default.

I think you may be right.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Stubbs doesn't profile as a good enough pinch hitter to warrant a roster spot. Heisey and Dickerson have the defensive part covered also.

I don't see what Stubbs could add at this point.

Puffy
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Word.

If we had a real manager we'd be in first place now!!

CTA513
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM
If Stubbs is sent down then fans will start focusing even more one Bruce.

puca
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

And that might be the right thing. Stubbs needs to work through his issues. Sitting on the bench in the ML being a defensive replacement (because lets face it I'm guessing most of us would rather see Leake or Arroyo pinch hitting than Stubbs right now) probably isn't going to help him very much.

Adding Dickerson to Nix and Frisco makes the bench awful lefthanded though. Of course if one or more of them starts getting some starts that really isn't much of an issue.

Although I wouldn't be too surprised if Dusty isn't just giving Drew a few days off to clear his head. It wouldn't be my choice, but if that is the case it might be between Dickerson and Nix for the 5th OF slot.

puca
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Word.

If we had a real manager we'd be in first place now!!

I've become a Dusty convert. Anyone that can consistently pencil in Cairo in the middle of the lineup and get those kinds of results must be pure genius. Janish will have a great day today it's pretty much guaranteed.

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Bats Lineup today:

Dickerson CF
Cozart SS
Alonso 1B
Frazier 3B
Balentien RF
Dorn LF
Miller C
Griffin 2B
Sutton DH
LeCure P

I think I might prefer that one the Reds...

reds44
08-03-2010, 05:32 PM
And that might be the right thing. Stubbs needs to work through his issues. Sitting on the bench in the ML being a defensive replacement (because lets face it I'm guessing most of us would rather see Leake or Arroyo pinch hitting than Stubbs right now) probably isn't going to help him very much.

Adding Dickerson to Nix and Frisco makes the bench awful lefthanded though. Of course if one or more of them starts getting some starts that really isn't much of an issue.

Although I wouldn't be too surprised if Dusty isn't just giving Drew a few days off to clear his head. It wouldn't be my choice, but if that is the case it might be between Dickerson and Nix for the 5th OF slot.
The Reds are in the middle of the pennant race, it's not the time to let people work through issues. If having Stubbs up here as a defensive replacement/pinch runner make the team better, than that's where he should be.

With that being said, I think he'll go down tomorrow.

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Hanigan's been terrible since he came off DL. He should be batting 8th.

He was the reason the Reds won vs the Braves on Saturday

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 05:50 PM
The way I see it, Dusty has given Stubbs too much rope. What is he like 2 for his last 40? I don't see how a manager can be any more patient with a guy than that in a pennant race.

I agree with sending him to AAA to work things out when they activate Dickerson

Redmachine2003
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
The thing about Stubbs is that he seem to respond every time he gets some time off

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
The way I see it, Dusty has given Stubbs too much rope. What is he like 2 for his last 40? I don't see how a manager can be any more patient with a guy than that in a pennant race.

I agree with sending him to AAA to work things out when they activate Dickerson

Has something changed in Stubbs' approach over the last 10 games that suggest he's really become less able to hit the baseball than he was prior. Or are seeing primarily a bad stretch of batted balls finding people and tough pitcher matchups.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that analysis shows that most hot and cold streaks are not predictive. Sure, they happen all of the time. But in 40 PA, it's virtually impossible to tell from the stats whether a guy is truly suffering from a change in ability or if he's just had a bad run that is liable to end at any time. I'm more than receptive to arguments of the former based on analyses of his approach and how it is different than it was for his first 300 PA this year -- but the stats are wholly insufficient evidence.

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Has something changed in Stubbs' approach over the last 10 games that suggest he's really become less able to hit the baseball than he was prior. Or are seeing primarily a bad stretch of batted balls finding people and tough pitcher matchups.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that analysis shows that most hot and cold streaks are not predictive. Sure, they happen all of the time. But in 40 PA, it's virtually impossible to tell from the stats whether a guy is truly suffering from a change in ability or if he's just had a bad run that is liable to end at any time. I'm more than receptive to arguments of the former based on analyses of his approach and how it is different than it was for his first 300 PA this year -- but the stats are wholly insufficient evidence.

His slump is nothing new. He's a player who's always been streaky. Young players are particularly susceptible to these things. The ones who learn to adjust turn into veterans. The ones who don't, end up playing in an Independent league in their 30s.

Don't try to make this into rocket science. It's not that complicated. Since we're in a pennant race, send him to AAA to work out his woes especially since we have Dickerson available.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll do some PBP, one way or another.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Not everything in this game is luck. Players come up to the plate with a lack of confidence and press. It's simple really, the guy is not just having some bad BABIP luck. He isn't even hitting the ball.

Baseball is just about confidence and Stubbs/Bruce have zero.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Not sure if I'll be able to do PBP at the start of the game, but sometime tonight I will do some.

edabbs44
08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Heisey and Janish are here! First place here we come!

What's that you say?

No worries about the lineup tonight. Every tome Cairo gets bashed he produces. Keep it coming.

Degenerate39
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Heisey and Janish are here! First place here we come!

What's that you say?

No worries about the lineup tonight. Every tome Cairo gets bashed he produces. Keep it coming.

Cairo may have had some success this season but it's bound to wear off some time.

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Cairo may have had some success this season but it's bound to wear off some time.

That's the spirit. He'll probably end up on Baseball Tonight now - but just to be sure, it's more like the trash heap of history.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Rain delay to start even though it is not currently raining.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Start of game delayed indefinitely. No rain yet, but supposedly, it is on the way. Tarp is not yet on field.

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Start of game delayed indefinitely. No rain yet, but supposedly, it is on the way. Tarp is not yet on field.

We had that on a Sunday game I went to last month - it was very strange, beautiful sun shiny day and no game. Then - bam! - it hit.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Looking at the radar there is definetly rain to the west but it looks like it won't be there for a while. It looks like they could have got a few innings in before this hit if they would have just started.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Looking at the radar there is definetly rain to the west but it looks like it won't be there for a while. It looks like they could have got a few innings in before this hit if they would have just started.

They say it won't hill until 9:00 pm.

I'm thoroughly confused.

reds44
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
They say it won't hill until 9:00 pm.

I'm thoroughly confused.
This is going to be a long delayed start then.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Only the Pirates would delay a game 2 hours before the rain even hits. The forecast for tomorrow by the way is worse than tonight.

nate
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Rain-delay chat is open.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
This has to be something new. In all the years I've watched sports, i've never heard of a "weather delay" because bad weather is coming. They start the game or event and if it rains, it gets delay or whatever. Must be rookie umpires. The radar shows rain, but it might so south of north of the city--it's that far away.

Guess they're afraid the players will tear up their beautiful field that no one goes to.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM
This has to be something new. In all the years I've watched sports, i've never heard of a "weather delay" because bad weather is coming. They start the game or event and if it rains, it gets delay or whatever. Must be rookie umpires. The radar shows rain, but it might so south of north of the city--it's that far away.

Guess they're afraid the players will tear up their beautiful field that no one goes to.

Who decides? Umps or team?

RedsManRick
His slump is nothing new. He's a player who's always been streaky. Young players are particularly susceptible to these things. The ones who learn to adjust turn into veterans. The ones who don't, end up playing in an Independent league in their 30s.

Don't try to make this into rocket science. It's not that complicated. Since we're in a pennant race, send him to AAA to work out his woes especially since we have Dickerson available.

A slump is something you see in performance. But if what you want to know is whether or not it's going to continue, you have to understand why. If that's rocket science in your book, I'm sorry.

If you think the slump is because the guy really has temporarily lost the ability to hit, your solution makes some sense. The argument goes that the Reds can't afford to have him performing poorly while he "adjusts".

But I don't think it's so obvious that his struggles performance-wise are necessarily his fault. You can't "adjust" your way out of bad luck or a string of bad matchups. Nor would we expect those things to continue looking forward.

From a performance perspective, everybody slumps, even those veterans you mention. While you refused to answer my question, it is still eminently valid. Unless you have reason beyond a 2/40 stretch at the plate (the stat itself), something which suggests that there's an actual adjustment to be made, sending him down just takes our best CF option off the table.

Again, I'm not asserting that he's been the victim of bad luck. I just want to know what has changed in the last 40 PA that have led to his struggles and what adjustments you think he's going to make in AAA. Because I personally haven't seen anything different in what he's doing than what he was doing the first 300 PA this year, he's just not getting the same results lately. I welcome some real insight beyond just a restated assertion that he sucks.

redsmetz
Who decides? Umps or team?

Before the game starts, it's the club's decision. After, the umpires.

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Looking at the radar, it looks like clear skies on the way to me -- with some nasty stuff currently north and south of the stadium. I appreciate the umps not wanting to burn the starters, but I'm confused.

reds44
08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
First pitch at 7:55

JaxRed
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Sounds like the guys that run their drafts make weather decisions also.

Homer Bailey
08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
johnfayman

Pitchers have stopped warming up. Tarp is going on. #reds

Matt700wlw
08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
This is stupid.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
As of now, I will do PBP whenever the game starts.

Cyclone792
08-03-2010, 07:51 PM
http://i.imwx.com/web/radar/us_pit_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

This is why the game's being delayed? Seriously?

The Pirates are the biggest joke organization in all of baseball. I don't even think the Royals would stoop to this level.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Amazing now 47 minute delay and the rain still has not hit Pittsburgh and the worst of it went to the south

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
As of now, I will do PBP whenever the game starts.

So they delayed it so you could do the PBP???

Captain Hook
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Not that I'd rather watch it over the Reds but the little plains racing around during rain delays this year are somewhat entertaining.

redsfaninbsg
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
This is easily the most puzzling rain delay I've ever seen. It's as if they don't want to play.

kbrake
08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
The 2010 Cincinnati Reds are officially feared.

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
http://i.imwx.com/web/radar/us_pit_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

This is why the game's being delayed? Seriously?

The Pirates are the biggest joke organization in all of baseball. I don't even think the Royals would stoop to this level.
This literally made me laugh out loud.

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Supposedly 8:30 now

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
So they delayed it so you could do the PBP???

Maybe. ;)

sabometrics
08-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Has it even rained at the stadium yet? Last look in I heard a drop had not yet fallen.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Has it even rained at the stadium yet? Last look in I heard a drop had not yet fallen.It rained a little on the last update but not much. From the radar I just checked the rain is now past.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in baseball, but then again, we're playing the dumbest team in baseball, too.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Finally started after a 1:25 rain delay

Always Red
08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I had FSN on about 15 minutes ago and it was pouring in Pittsburgh.

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Game on -- let's see how the Reds are baffled by the thoroughly mediocre Paul Maholm tonight.

Matt700wlw
Baseball!

Redsfan320
We are go
Phillips up

1B
Runner on 1st
0 out
Janish up

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Phillips leads off with a single to center. He has been on base 5 times this series already.

RedsManRick
I don't think it can be said enough how much Phillips' approach at the plate has improved this year.

WVRedsFan
Since the ignorant Pirates delayed this game an hour and a half, we should just beat them into submission. Phillips does his job with a hit to lead orfrf!

OldRightHander
I just drove through Pittsburgh. Still raining.

Caveat Emperor
I don't think it can be said enough how much Phillips' approach at the plate has improved this year.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that batting him leadoff has lead him to stop swinging for the fences on every pitch and just play within himself.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I think the old Janish showed up tonight...:)

Matt700wlw

Brook Jacoby may know what he's doing. I remember wanting him fired.

11larkin11
I just drove through Pittsburgh. Still raining.

Texting while driving? Shame on you!

Redsfan320
Fo3
1 out
Runner on 1st
Cairo up

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
BP started and stopped, due to a slide step by Maholm.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I just drove through Pittsburgh. Still raining.According to my father in law, it rained about 10 minutes total -- and they could have played 2 or three innings before the rain.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:38 PM
BB
1B->2B/ Phillips
Runners on 1st and 2nd
Rolen up

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:38 PM
5-4-3. Sigh. First pitch.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
DP 5-4-3
DP5 5-4-3 (2)/ Cairo out
3 out
Top of 1st over
McCutchen up

0-0

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Nothing like making 2 outs on the first pitch.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
1 out
Tabata up

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
McCutchen 8
Tabata 7
Walker 4
Jones 3
Alvarez 5
Milledge 9
Snyder 2
Cedeno 6
Maholm 1

5-3
2 out
Walker up

TheNext44
08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
For those of you mad at Dusty hitting Janish second...

Janish has a .370 OBP coming into the game. :cool:

reds44
Rough inning for Leake.

Janish has range.

WVRedsFan
1-2-3

Matt700wlw
Cards down 2-0

11larkin11
Oh gosh, don't even say it...

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Heisey

Gomes Bruce

Janish Phillips

Rolen Leake Cairo

Hernandez

6-3
3 out
Bottom of 1st over
Gomes up

0-0

Kc61
08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Cards trail 5-1.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Astros are on a roll right now.

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
5-1 Astros.

Yahoo!

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
One pitch to Gomes? Good grief.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone else having the problem where the thread is not automatically updating tonight. I have to keep refreshing to see any new posts.

Redsfan320
McCutchen

Tabata Milledge

Cedeno Walker

LaRoche Maholm Jones

Snyder

6-3
1 out
Bruce up

reds44
Anyone else having the problem where the thread is not automatically updating tonight. I have to keep refreshing to see any new posts.
Yep, live topic definatley isn't working for me.

WVRedsFan
Anyone else having the problem where the thread is not automatically updating tonight. I have to keep refreshing to see any new posts.Yep. No live feed, aparently.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Yes

2 out
Heisey up

WebScorpion
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
5-1 Astros.

Yahoo!
I've officially changed my mind: This year I love the Astros!
...well, I like them a LOT! :p:

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
3 out
Top of 2nd over
Jones up

0-0

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Same thing as last night, score 4 runs tonight and we'll win.

WVRedsFan
Maholm with 14 pitches through 2 innings. At this rate, he can go 12 innings. When will this team ever get patient? You'd think they'd learn that not working the pitcher results in trouble.

kbrake
Last night Burnett and Lackey. Tonight Jaime Garcia. My fantasy team SP is rolling this week.

Redsfan320
4-3
1 out
Alvarez up

Red in Chicago
08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
man that parrot behind the plate is annoying

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
man that parrot behind the plate is annoyingYou oughta go to a game there. That idiot if he comes near your section will drive you nuts. Kids love it, though.

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow that was a bad play by Rolen.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
A rare misplay by Rolen on that ball.

sabometrics
Can't believe they ruled that a double.

WVRedsFan
This is how you get behind and it's no one's fault. I don't think Scott could have done anything.

Redsfan320
BB, then, to Milledge

2B
1B->3B/ Alvarez
Runners on 2nd and 3rd
Snyder up

Reds Fanatic
They called that a double. Does anyone competent work for the Pirates.

reds44
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Walk, blown DP, broken bat single.

2 runs

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
1B, 2 RBI
3B->H, R/ Alvarez
2B-> H, R/ Milledge
Runner on 1st
1 out
Cedeno up

SCORE CHANGE: 2-0, Pirates

JaxRed
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
On unrelated topic, does anyone think the guy in the black shirt 4 rows behind home plate is Rutger Hauer?

TheNext44
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
They called that a double. Does anyone competent work for the Pirates.

Another reason why ERA is not an accurate stat to measure a pitcher's performance.

Captain Hook
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Probably the best defensive IF in baseball tonight and they cost the team 2 runs.Sometimes I hate baseball.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I'll be back later.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Fay just mentioned Juan Castro......

Reds Fanatic
Malholm singled to right. 1st and 2nd.

WVRedsFan
Oh well. the pitcher gets a hit. It's not going to be a good night. Rolen makes an error, broker bat singles, walks and it all adds up to kharma.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't think the defense can be blamed overall. Leake just doesn't miss enough bats to be anything better than a 4/5.

TheNext44
On unrelated topic, does anyone think the guy in the black shirt 4 rows behind home plate is Rutger Hauer?

Haven't seen a closeup, but that guy looks 10 years younger and had more hair than Rutger these days. but I'm only seeing him from a distance and threw a fence.

Degenerate39
I blame this inning on the stupid parrot

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Scary. McCutchen gets hit in the head.

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Same thing as last night, score 4 runs tonight and we'll win.
You're an idiot.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Leake has no idea so far

Cedric
You also can't sit a guy for this long and expect him to be remotely sharp. Look at Garcia tonight and it's the same story.

WVRedsFan
Nope. Not our night.

reds44
That hit him in a bad spot

Matt700wlw
I hope he's ok

Reds Fanatic
Looks like it hit him toward the back of the head.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
McCutchen being helped off.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Sometimes young pitchers have a hard time on night's like this when the schedule is off due to the delay. I remember a bad start Cueto had early in his career on a similar night in Pittsburgh. The delay tonight was for no good reason. Then they had them start warming up at one point just to stop them again.

Degenerate39
08-03-2010, 09:05 PM
The parrot moves now

Matt700wlw
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow

Reds Fanatic
Tabata singles to left. 3-0 Pirates. Bases still loaded.

sabometrics
Have the Pirates had a hard-hit ball yet?

Cedric
Sometimes young pitchers have a hard time on night's like this when the schedule is off due to the delay. I remember a bad start Cueto had early in his career on a similar night in Pittsburgh. The delay tonight was for no good reason. Then they had them start warming up at one point just to stop them again.

But this isn't new. Leake has middling stuff and he doesn't miss bats. I'm not talking about just today. The guy doesn't have much of a ceiling.

NC Reds
08-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Wulfgar.

Reds Fanatic
That one totally slipped out his hand.

RedsManRick
That Leake is getting tagged with these as earned runs is criminal. Rolen should have been given an error and Leake should have been out of this inning.

reds44
Wow.

Reds Fanatic
Crap. A double off the wall. 6-0 Pirates.

sabometrics
Well theres a well-struck ball.

Matt700wlw
More wow

redsfaninbsg
I think it's safe to say they have a hard hit ball now.

Joseph
Leake = ouch

RedsManRick
I would not be surprised if this is the last start Leake makes this year. If he's not going to pitch regularly, you might as well not pitch him at all. He can't stay sharp throwing every 10 days.

CTA513
08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I thought Harang was supposed to be on the DL?

reds44
Leake's been pretty awful lately. Is it time to shut him down?

Cedric
I would not be surprised if this is the last start Leake makes this year.

Better damn well be. He has been terrible for two months now.

Reds Fanatic
Jones flies out to left. 6-0 Pirates after 2.

sabometrics
I would not be surprised if this is the last start Leake makes this year.

Come on now. If not for some sketchy score-keeping there would have been a lot of unearned runs in that inning.

redsfaninbsg
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
One of those nights, it's why I love and hate baseball.

Playadlc
Leake's been pretty awful lately. Is it time to shut him down?

Yes.

Matt700wlw
Time for the Reds to start hammering

reds44
The good news is it's only the third inning and we're playing the Pirates.

Tornon
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder if hitting McCutchen unnerved Leake a little there

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Better damn well be. He has been terrible for two months now.

I hadn't looked at his splits, but yeah, he's been pretty brutal since June 1.

reds44
I wonder if hitting McCutchen unnerved Leake a little there
Yeah he gave up a hit to the pitcher the batter before.

I don't think dome rocking McCutchen had anything to do with it.

Reds Fanatic
The good news is the Astros are up 6-1 after 3.

Reds Fanatic
Hanigan grounds out to 2nd.

nate
I hadn't looked at his splits, but yeah, he's been pretty brutal since June 1.

Yep.

Oddly though, Wood has looked a lot like Leake did when Leake started the season. Better, even!

NC Reds
08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
It was only a couple of starts ago that Leake entered the ninth with a lead against the Phillies. His start after that one was solid as well.

Rolen should have made that play and hitting McCutcheon unnerved him. Don't overreact.

reds44
Wow and they drill Leake.

That has to be intentional.

Tony Cloninger
This pitcher seems to pitch pretty well against the Reds......and with the nice 2/3 hole hitters for tonight......I do not see a comeback here. Waste of a freaking game here.

Reds Fanatic
Leake is hit by the pitch. Warning issued to both teams.

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:13 PM
That 85 MPH fastball really sends a message.

reds44
Quality AB from Phillips.

Reds Fanatic
Phillips flies out to the track in right on the first pitch.

WVRedsFan
This pitcher seems to pitch pretty well against the Reds......and with the nice 2/3 hole hitters for tonight......I do not see a comeback here. Waste of a freaking game here.Yeah, this will be tough, especially with this lineup and their hacking. No way.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
It was only a couple of starts ago that Leake entered the ninth with a lead against the Phillies. His start after that one was solid as well.

Rolen should have made that play and hitting McCutcheon unnerved him. Don't overreact.

The Phillies were in a terrible team slump at the time. Look at the kids last ten starts and it's not pretty.

He is way too hittable, k's nobody and he walks a ton. It's not a good mix.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Janish strikes out swinging. 6-0 Pirates mid 3rd.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Boy, everybody's favorite Janish has looked good tonight....

kbrake
08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
The Phillies were in a terrible team slump at the time. Look at the kids last ten starts and it's not pretty.

He is way too hittable, k's nobody and he walks a ton. It's not a good mix.

Do you have his numbers for last 10 starts or since June 1? Not saying I don't agree with you just curious what the numbers are.

Cedric
I was wondering when someone would make a dumb comment about Janish. The guy hasn't played in seemingly a year and he's going to get potshots after two at bats.

CTA513
Boy, everybody's favorite Janish has looked good tonight....

0-2 and him being on the field is the reason the Reds are down 6-0.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I was wondering when someone would make a dumb comment about Janish. The guy hasn't played in seemingly a year and he's going to get potshots after two at bats.Humor. I'm sure Paul will be fine, but he has looked a little terrible in his two at-bats.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Do you have his numbers for last 10 starts or since June 1? Not saying I don't agree with you just curious what the numbers are.One thing I can tell you is his ERA by month

April 3.25
May 1.88
June 5.22
July 4.56

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Alvarez strikes out looking. 1 out.

reds44
I want to see Leake drill somebody just because of how dumb it was for the Pirates to plunk him.

I'm sure Leake was trying to drill him in the head with a 1-2 pitch.

Reds Fanatic
Milledge lines out to right.

kbrake
One thing I can tell you is his ERA by month

April 3.25
May 1.88
June 5.22
July 4.56

Thanks

mbgrayson
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM

April 3.25
May 1.88
June 5.22
July 4.56

August 18.0 (thru 3 innings)

Cedric
How about 36 earned runs in the last 49 innings for Leake over the last 9 starts.

Reds Fanatic
Snyder grounds out to short. 6-0 Pirates after 3.

Reds/Flyers Fan
The good news is it's only the third inning and we're playing the Pirates.

The bad news its the reds offense that's trying to catch up

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Do you have his numbers for last 10 starts or since June 1? Not saying I don't agree with you just curious what the numbers are.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8680/gamelog;_ylt=Akcjl4UbWG3ll9LXLhNlgWGFCLcF

edabbs44
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Snyder grounds out to short. 6-0 Pirates after 3.

OC would have fallen down on his way to get that ball, thrown it into the stands and then Gomes would have ran into him and given him an Earthquake off the top rope.

:)

Tony Cloninger
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Leake has to have good command and hit his spots better....or else his pitches look like wiffle balls....sometimes.

sabometrics
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Leake is perfectly fine as this team's 4 or 5 right now. The one start in Philly looks deceivingly bad if you look at his game logs, but if you remember how good he was for 8 innings that day, his numbers don't really match how well he was in the month.

CTA513
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I could see Springer drilling someone if he pitches later.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Cairo lines a hit to left.

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
All he does is hit hit hit no matter what.

kbrake
All he does is hit hit hit no matter what.

Well done.

Matt700wlw
Come on, Scott

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
PBP's not much fun when we're down by 6, and I'm kinda tired anyway. So later.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Rolen flies out to left.

reds44
Gomes needs to run into one

WVRedsFan
One pitch, Jonn?

kbrake
08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
PBP's not much fun when we're down by 6, and I'm kinda tired anyway. So later.

I bet Marty is glad he doesn't leave the booth in games like this. The comebacks are the most fun.

WVRedsFan
Nope.

reds44
Did Cairo even have a lead there?

_Sir_Charles_
You also can't sit a guy for this long and expect him to be remotely sharp. Look at Garcia tonight and it's the same story.

This.

I've been concerned about this for a while now. They keep talking about limiting his innings by having him miss starts...he's going to lose that pinpoint control.

Reds Fanatic
Now 6-2 Astros bottom 4th.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Now 6-3 Astros.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
That's the one thing the Cards have we don't--the ability to strike back quickly.

Kc61
Reds with a chance, two on.

redsfaninbsg
It sure would be nice to see a home run here.

Reds Fanatic
Good AB. Gomes walks.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
It sure would be nice to see a home run here.No chance. Prove me wrong, Jay

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
That's the one thing the Cards have we don't--the ability to strike back quickly.
Runs:
Reds 521
Cardinas 477

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Runs:
Reds 521
Cardinas 477Key word..quickly and key players out...Votto and Cabrera

Reds Fanatic
Bruce grounds into a 3-6 FC. 1st and 3rd.

RedsManRick

April 3.25
May 1.88
June 5.22
July 4.56

HR/9 of 1.6 in June and July. The mediocre K rate continued to fall.

reds44
Key word..quickly and key players out...Votto and Cabrera
So the Reds score more runs then the Cardinals slowly?

Reds Fanatic
Good news in StL. Molina grounded into a DP to end the inning. 6-3 Astros after 4.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Good news in StL. Molina grounded into a DP to end the inning. 6-3 Astros after 4.

Bud Norris has plenty of time to ruin that for us.

Tony Cloninger
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I have no confidence in Bruce to do anything with the bat. Is the worse thing that happened with this guy....was too have that fast start and decent success 2 years ago?

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
So the Reds score more runs then the Cardinals slowly?Look at this linuep with Pujols and Holliday back to back and tell me we have something similar tonight. Votto is missed and Rolen is in a funk

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:33 PM
There's 1.

_Sir_Charles_
There we go. All we needed was for me to get home. :O) 6-1 now.

WVRedsFan
Anyone have a clue as to why all the Reds wear similar necklaces?

Heisey= keeper

Reds Fanatic
Heisey bloop hit to right. 6-1 Pirates. 1st and 3rd.

reds44
08-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Heisey= keeper
I see a lot of baseball players wearing those.

_Sir_Charles_
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Heisey= keeper

It's not just the Reds, it's athletes in general. I saw an article about them. Some mumbo-jumbo about radio waves or sound waves or some such nonsense. If I find the article, i'll post it.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Hernandez grounds into a 6-4 FC. 6-1 Pirates mid 4th.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
It's not just the Reds, it's athletes in general. I saw an article about them. Some mumbo-jumbo about radio waves or sound waves or some such nonsense. If I find the article, i'll post it.They almost look tribal. I knew it had to be something when even Dusty is wearing them.

oneupper
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
According to the Bucs feed, McCutcheon with contusion to the neck. No concussion. X ray negative.

_Sir_Charles_
08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.scienceline.org/2008/10/ask-fox-phiten-necklace/

They're said to promote healing and improve athletic ability. Bunch of hooey if you ask me.

This isn't the article I was thinking of, but it still touches all the main points.

reds44
They almost look tribal. I knew it had to be something when even Dusty is wearing them.
The Reds website actually sells them.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121971&cp=1452348.1452719.880744

Worn by players on field as part of the MLB Authentic Collection
This necklace features Phiten's Phild processed Aqua-Titanium, which has the ability to regulate the body's natural electric currents through cell ionization
Promotes muscle relaxation, pain and stress relief, fatigue reduction, blood circulation improvement thus helping prevent injury
22 inches in length

Reds Fanatic
Cedeno flies out to center. Good running catch by Heisey

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Malholm grounds out to 2nd.

WVRedsFan

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121971&cp=1452348.1452719.880744

This necklace features Phiten's Phild processed Aqua-Titanium, which has the ability to regulate the body's natural electric currents through cell ionization
Promotes muscle relaxation, pain and stress relief, fatigue reduction, blood circulation improvement thus helping prevent injury
22 inches in lengthLike SC says, "HOOEY."

_Sir_Charles_

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121971&cp=1452348.1452719.880744 (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121971&cp=1452348.1452719.880744)

22 inches in length

This. And I ain't buying it. Voodoo dolls have as much effect IMO.

Personally, I find it rather surprising that so many grown men are duped into it.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Young strikes out looking. 6-1 Pirates after 4.

WVRedsFan
http://www.scienceline.org/2008/10/ask-fox-phiten-necklace/

They're said to promote healing and improve athletic ability. Bunch of hooey if you ask me.

This isn't the article I was thinking of, but it still touches all the main points.Yikes! $40!

reds44
I actually thought about buying one, but for style not use.

Then I saw they were $40. Yeah....no.

_Sir_Charles_
Hey, take out that 2nd inning and Leake's gone 9 up, 9 down.

Can we do that? Remove one inning? A baseball mulligan? Will the Pirates buy that? :O)

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey, take out that 2nd inning and Leake's gone 9 up, 9 down.

Can we do that? Remove one inning? A baseball mulligan? Will the Pirates buy that? :O)

The team that had the non-rain delay? No.

Reds Fanatic
Leake strikes out swinging.

_Sir_Charles_
The team that had the non-rain delay? No.

Damn. Worth a shot. :D

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Phillips grounds out to 2nd. 2 outs.

Reds Fanatic
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Astros and Cards are now through 5. Still 6-3 Astros.

JaxRed
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I did a Google search on Rutger Hauer and Pittsburgh, and my posting earlier in this thread was already up there !!

reds44
Boy Janish has knocked the crap out of the ball today.

_Sir_Charles_
Maholm 1-2-3.

Reds Fanatic
Janish fouls out to 1st. 6-1 Pirates mid 5th.

kbrake
Time for happy hour this isn't much fun.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Boy Janish has knocked the crap out of the ball today.Be careful. I tried sarcasm earlier and got called out.

_Sir_Charles_
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Boy Janish has knocked the crap out of the ball today.

I'm giving Janish the same pass I'm giving Leake. Rust.