PDA

View Full Version : Question about 40 man roster removal

ILoveWilly
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
What happens if you take a guy off the 40 man roster? Does the guy just go through waivers and whoever claims him gets to keep him? Or does the player have a choice in the matter? I remember people freaking out when Balentien was taken off the 40 man early this year, and he didn't go anywhere and the Reds kept him. What would prevent that from happening now with some players?

GIDP
08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
What happens if you take a guy off the 40 man roster? Does the guy just go through waivers and whoever claims him gets to keep him? Or does the player have a choice in the matter? I remember people freaking out when Balentien was taken off the 40 man early this year, and he didn't go anywhere and the Reds kept him. What would prevent that from happening now with some players?

Players must pass through waivers. If they do then this

1) Guys who have enough service time to become free agents can refuse assignments.

2 )Guys who dont are just optioned to the minors.

thats the basic.

ILoveWilly
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Players must pass through waivers. If they do then this

1) Guys who have enough service time to become free agents can refuse assignments.

2 )Guys who dont are just optioned to the minors.

thats the basic.

If they're claimed, a trade can be worked out though, correct?

As I understand, teams usually put their entire team through waivers after the deadline right, so they know where they stand with possible trades even if they don't have any intention of trading them? Shouldn't the front office know who has and hasn't been claimed by now?

GIDP
08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
If they're claimed, a trade can be worked out though, correct?

As I understand, teams usually put their entire team through waivers after the deadline right, so they know where they stand with possible trades even if they don't have any intention of trading them? Shouldn't the front office know who has and hasn't been claimed by now?

Waivers and removing someone from a 40 man arent the same thing.

There are weird things. I'm not exactly sure how things work, but there is DFA where you remove the player fromthe 40 man instantly. Teams have 10 days to claim or trade for that player. I think how it works is that the waiver period is 10 days and if someone makes a claim they can take that player, but another team can trade and completely ignore that waiver system. This instantly removes someone from the 40 man.

Its confusing, but I think thats how it works.

Waivers are put out there in secret. There is a limit on waivers like once every 30 days or something. The player still plays and for the most part probably never even knows he was on waivers. If you make a claim and that team doesnt pull him back they can dump him on you.

I hope it kind of helps.

10xWSChamps
08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Doesn't DFAing someone work around it?

davereds24
08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Doesn't DFAing someone work around it?

Then you lose a guy for nothing if you straight DFA and you are responsible for their contract.

If you put him on waivers and he is claimed, you can make a trade with that team and get cash/players in return. If they clear waivers you can send someone down, they can go to Louisville or opt to become a free agent if they wish (assuming they don't have options).

10xWSChamps
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Then you lose a guy for nothing if you straight DFA and you are responsible for their contract.

If you put him on waivers and he is claimed, you can make a trade with that team and get cash/players in return. If they clear waivers you can send someone down, they can go to Louisville or opt to become a free agent if they wish (assuming they don't have options).

But if they accept the DFA (I know they don't have to...) don't they just go straight to the minors? Or are you saying they go through waivers either way and then if someone picks them up the original team is responsible for the contract? I always thought that a DFAed player didn't go through waivers.

scott91575
08-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Note: edited some details, and I will try and make it simpler...

3+ years in the majors...Must clear waivers, and then he must agree to being sent to the minors. Otherwise he is a free agent. If he agrees to the assignment but is not later added to the 40 man he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.
Less than 3 years in the majors but been outrighted in the past....Same options as a 3+ man
Less than 3 years in the majors and never been outrighted...must clear waivers.

Another edit: OK, reading some more, the most confusion comes from revocable vs. irrevocable waivers. Tons of players are put on revocable waivers, and that allows them to be traded (trading is one of the processes for removing a player from the 40 man). For removing a man from the 40 man without a trade, that means they must be placed on irrevocable waivers. If he is claimed, he is gone (in the mean time, 10 days, you can trade him). So when I say waivers above, that is irrevocable waivers.

edit3: The limit for revocable waivers is 7 per team at one time. To add emphasis, revocable waivers are only for trading. So Adam Dunn was put on waivers, but it was revocable waivers. In the Reds 40 man issues, we are dealing with irrevocable waivers. Whole different issue.

NastyBoy
08-05-2010, 03:48 AM
I always thought it was pretty simple... remove a player from the 40 roster and you lose them... that is assuming some other team claims them.