PDA

View Full Version : Phils catch a big break

Magdal
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
They show the play twice and we hear the call of both announcing teams. Can you guess which is which? http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100805&content_id=13080100&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

That was a nice break for those Phillies.

Rockermann
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
The ball was foul. Look where the ball hits at about 31 seconds in. It hits the dirt outside the foul line about five feet away from home plate. Then, look at the umps arms going up and signaling a foul ball even before the ball hits the dirt (in fair territory) past third. If he was waiting till it hit there, he could not have had his arms up yet. So, he indeed called it foul because of where it first bounce off of the bat.

Redlegs_87
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I always thought he had to wait for it to pass the bag before making a call. Either way Marlins still had opportunities to get that run across and failed.

Rockermann
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
You may be right... I was just coming back to post that. I think it does have to go past the bag first, or be touched by a player before it's called.

Magdal
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
The ball was foul. Look where the ball hits at about 31 seconds in. It hits the dirt outside the foul line about five feet away from home plate. Then, look at the umps arms going up and signaling a foul ball even before the ball hits the dirt (in fair territory) past third. If he was waiting till it hit there, he could not have had his arms up yet. So, he indeed called it foul because of where it first bounce off of the bat.I went back and looked again, Rock. I hit pause at exactly 32 secs in and the ball was hit square on the foul line a few feet from the plate. As a matter of fact it appeared that it rode the line all the way up. Blown call in my book.

If the Ump thought it was foul on the 1st bounce why did he not call it? He clearly waited 'till it passed 3rd. He should have been straddling the line like it said in the article. IMO

Rockermann
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Another thing... it's not where it hits once it passes the bag, it's where it was as it went over the bag. I guess the ump is saying that it was hooking back into fair territory after it went past the bag in foul territory.

texasdave
08-06-2010, 11:06 AM
You may be right... I was just coming back to post that. I think it does have to go past the bag first, or be touched by a player before it's called.

It does have to go past the bag. That is why on bunts they grab the ball as soon as it goes foul so that it doesn't have a chance to roll back into fair territory.

DocRed
08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Physics would tell you that a ball that has bounced twice already should go in a straight line based on momentum...thus impossible that the ball hit fair shortly before the bag (it's second bounce), curved around the bag and hit fair after the bag. Kennedy assassination conspirators anyone?

couch_manager
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
The ball was foul. Look where the ball hits at about 31 seconds in. It hits the dirt outside the foul line about five feet away from home plate. Then, look at the umps arms going up and signaling a foul ball even before the ball hits the dirt (in fair territory) past third. If he was waiting till it hit there, he could not have had his arms up yet. So, he indeed called it foul because of where it first bounce off of the bat.

I watched the replay on ESPN last night. I saw the same thing. The morons at ESPN didn't even focus on that first bounce. It looked like it may have hit the dirt foul a few feet from home plate. Maybe that's not what the third base umpire was looking at when he made his call (as that shouldn't be his call anyway), but it wasn't the worst call in ML history.

arkimadee
08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
that was brutal!!!!!!

Magdal
08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I watched the replay on ESPN last night. I saw the same thing. The morons at ESPN didn't even focus on that first bounce. It looked like it may have hit the dirt foul a few feet from home plate. Maybe that's not what the third base umpire was looking at when he made his call (as that shouldn't be his call anyway), but it wasn't the worst call in ML history.No, but it was a big play concidering it changed the course of the game.

couch_manager
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
No, but it was a big play concidering it changed the course of the game.

Only if you think the ball was fair. I saw it go foul.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 01:13 PM
That was an atrocious call. There is no way that ball would have hit in fair territory on the last bounce in front of the bag, curved around the bag into foul territory and then land that far in fair territory all in a single bounce. Davidson blew it and cost the Marlins a victory.

I'm more outraged by him continuing to say it was foul even after seeing the replay than I am him getting the call wrong in the first place. What a joke. Had the Phillies been on the other end of that, lots more people would be outraged today. But because the Marlins are not in playoff contention, it's not going to get the attention it should.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Only if you think the ball was fair. I saw it go foul.

Apparently you don't understand the rules of baseball. It doesn't matter if the ball made one, three or fifteen bounces in foul territory before it reaches the third base bag. It only matters where the ball is when it crosses the bag. It physically is not possible for that ball to have been outside the bag based on the last bounce before it crossed the base and the first bounce after it crossed it.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
If that ball was foul then they need to inspect that ball for magic powers.