PDA

View Full Version : BP on the Cards: "They're little *****es"

Redsfanao
08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/08/09/before_we_dissect_the_chris.html

By Hal McCoy | Monday, August 9, 2010, 04:37 PM

Before we dissect the Chris Dickerson for Jim Edmonds trade with Milwaukee, listen to some quick words from Brandon Phillips before the big, Big, BIG three-game Cincinnati-St. Louis series.

Phillips fouled a ball off his shin Saturday in Chicago and missed Sunday’s game. But he was in Monday’s lineup and said, “I’d play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is ***** and moan about everything, all of them, they’re little *****es, all of ‘em. I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear - I hate the Cardinals.”

rolenmvp
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I would't say I applaud phillips for this but, I sure do love his guts to say that about them. that's how I feel about them but, I will keep my comments from coming out of my mouth.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
:evil:

I love it.

NorrisHopper30
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Uh oh.

Reds
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Very nice, love hearing that stuff, really fuels the rivalry. Put that up on the locker room wall Cards, right below the standings.

(this thread is going to grow legs and walk)

Redsfanao
I think it's great!! All of us think this, but he went out and said it. Awesome!!

rolenmvp
this is going to add more fuel to the fire to this series...I love it!!

Vottomatic
Prepare to get beaned tonight Brandon.

I see Gomes get ejected and suspended tonight.

Kingspoint
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Phillips fouled a ball off his shin Saturday in Chicago and missed Sunday’s game. But he was in Monday’s lineup and said, “I’d play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is ***** and moan about everything, all of them, they’re little *****es, all of ‘em. I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear - I hate the Cardinals.”

:beerme:

:thumbup:

:bowrofl:

BurgervilleBuck
08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Maybe he was speaking tongue-in-cheek. Like Votto.

DocRed
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I agree 100% with BP....I hate the Cardinals and their prima donna fans.

10xWSChamps
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Yikes, Brandon Phillips threw a hissy fit!

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Cards better enjoy it. Reds are built to last. They aren't. Pujols will turn into KGJ and be injured all through his 30's unless he never gets caught using the HGH. Must be using some kind of masking drug that prevents him from being caught. Same with Carpenter.

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Cards better enjoy it. Reds are built to last. They aren't. Pujols will turn into KGJ and be injured all through his 30's unless he never gets caught using the HGH. Must be using some kind of masking drug that prevents him from being caught. Same with Carpenter.

Solid reasoning there. Pujols and Carpenter are really good at baseball. They must be on HGH.

Grow up

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Solid reasoning there. Pujols and Carpenter are really good at baseball. They must be on HGH.

Grow up

I see we have troll #4 tonight.

Don't you Cards fans have anything better to do. Funny you calling me childish. I'm not trolling. :thumbup:

Pretty pathetic on your part, as usual.

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
And does it piss anyone else off that Phillips runs his mouth like this and absolutely lays an egg tonight? He's having a career year and has a sub .700 OPS against the team he hates the most. If he's going to run his mouth he needs to back it up.

Krawhitham
You do not go from being drafted 402nd to the best player in baseball in 2 years without help

10xWSChamps

Yeah, the Reds will be dominating this division for the next decade and the Cardinals are going to fall off a cliff. This is extremely likely to happen

One loss and you're hoping for injuries and making PED accusations. Stay classy Vottomatic.

Hondo
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Phillips and Votto are like Bird and McHale...

Thats why I LOVED the Celtics in the 1980's

Go Phillips (even though you K to end the Game) & Votto!

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Grow up

I guess I hurt your wittle feelings. WAAAAA! I insulted your favorite Cards player. WAAAA!!!

You fit right in as a Cards fan. Cards fans are just like their players........babies.

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I see we have troll #4 tonight.

Don't you Cards fans have anything better to do. Funny you calling me childish. I'm not trolling. :thumbup:

Pretty pathetic on your part, as usual.

Umm, OK.

Hondo
I guess I hurt your wittle feelings. WAAAAA! I insulted your favorite Cards player. WAAAA!!!

You fit right in as a Cards fan. Cards fans are just like their players........babies.

Worst part is, we got a lot of former Cardinals on this team...

Vottomatic
Yeah, the Reds will be dominating this division for the next decade and the Cardinals are going to fall off a cliff. This is extremely likely to happen

One loss and you're hoping for injuries and making PED accusations. Stay classy Vottomatic.

Go back to a Cards board if you don't want to read these things. I've never signed up for a Cards board, but I've read them. They say the same crap on them.

Watch what you accuse people of, you frickin' hypocrite.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
And does it piss anyone else off that Phillips runs his mouth like this and absolutely lays an egg tonight? He's having a career year and has a sub .700 OPS against the team he hates the most. If he's going to run his mouth he needs to back it up.

He is not having a career year he was better in 2007 & 2009, only thing that has changed this season is the Reds have players that can drive him in so his Runs are up

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Didn't hurt my feelings at all. Although I do find your childish posts quite amusing.

Razzle
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Grow up

It's shortly after a loss in a heated pennant race of a fan of a team that's been down for the past decade. I understand the reasoning as I'm pretty irrational at times after Cards losses as well, I generally just step away from the computer.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 10:20 PM

I've thought prince has juicing back in 2001, today's game has nothing to do with it

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I've thought price has juicing back in 2001, today's game has nothing to do with it

Same here. I've thought Poo-Holes has been juicing all along.

Carpenter went the Clemons route and did Steroids too.

It's pretty obvious. :p:

Rijo's Ghost
It's shortly after a loss in a heated pennant race of a fan of a team that's been down for the past decade. I understand the reasoning as I'm pretty irrational at times after Cards losses as well, I generally just step away from the computer.

I'm not even a Cards fan, although I'm relegated to watching them since I live in MO. It just surprises me to see adults turn to this type of behavior because a player doesn't play on their favorite team. I'm also assuming that Vottomatic is an adult, which could be my first mistake.

10xWSChamps
Go back to a Cards board if you don't want to read these things. I've never signed up for a Cards board, but I've read them. They say the same crap on them.

Watch what you accuse people of, you frickin' hypocrite.

How am I a hypocrite? Since I've joined a week ago the Reds have gained in the division (or not lost any space) except for tonight. Just FYI; the Reds still have a 1 game lead and are in first place!

I try to conduct myself in the same manner I would as if I were talking to you guys in person. I wouldn't be embarrassed if I met anyone on this forum in person because I haven't acted like a child regardless of what the Cardinals have been doing.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
How am I a hypocrite? Since I've joined a week ago the Reds have gained in the division (or not lost any space) except for tonight. Just FYI; the Reds still have a 1 game lead and are in first place!

I try to conduct myself in the same manner I would as if I were talking to you guys in person. I wouldn't be embarrassed if I met anyone on this forum in person because I haven't acted like a child regardless of what the Cardinals have been doing.

We lost. Let us become irrational and childish. It's our board!!!!!! :D

Get it? :thumbup:

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Carpenter had like two mini fits tonight, kicking the **** out of something in the dugout and he got bent out of shape to start the game when Ryan needed a new glove before the 1st pitch

looks like roid rage

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
He is not having a career year he was better in 2007 & 2009, only thing that has changed this season is the Reds have players that can drive him in so his Runs are up

In relation to the current offensive environment, Phillips is most certainly having a career year. And certainly better than last year.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Carpenter had like two mini fits tonight, kicking the **** out of something in the dugout and he got bent out of shape to start the game when Ryan needed a new glove before the 1st pitch

looks like roid rage

Roid rage definitely for Carpenter. I think MLB should fly in tonight and test him thoroughly for his own good. They need to protect him from himself and the damage he is doing to his body. A year or two suspension would be a good start. :D

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
In relation to the current offensive environment, Phillips is most certainly having a career year. And certainly better than last year.

He is on pace for this season
20hr
19sb
62 RBI
.339 OBP

last year
20hr
20sb
98rbi
.329 OBP

-36RBI
+.010 OBP

he was better last year, only thing that has changed is people are driving him in

Rijo's Ghost
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
He is on pace for this season
20hr
19sb
62 RBI
.339 OBP

last year
20hr
20sb
98rbi
.329 OBP

-36RBI
+.010 OBP

he was better last year, only thing that has changed is people are driving him in

Let me clear that up for you...

IN RELATION TO THE CURRENT RUN SCORING ENVIRONMENT HE IS HAVING A CAREER YEAR

Don't even look at counting stats. This year he is hitting with a higher average, getting on base at a better clip and hitting for more extra bases.

got10rings?
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Reds fans would know what a player on PED's act like first hand with Volquez the last several years. Talk about selective memory. You guys are the biggest bunch of whiny, immature children I've seen. Calling out Carp for getting on his young SS for not being ready to start the game is rediculous. It's called being a leader.

Oh yeah, thanks BP for having diarrhea of the mouth and waking up the Redbirds. A team shouldn't need something like that to want to kick the snot out of another team, but thanks anyway. Edit: Nice 0-5 to back up the trashtalk, nimrod.

I guess when your team hasn't sniffed the playoffs for over a decade, you forget what success is like. Win something and then come talkin' your trash. Until then, you're just the kid on the playground getting picked last for kickball.

BLEEDS
08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
-36RBI
+.010 OBP

Wow, thanks Nostradamus.

You think this has anything to do with him BATTING LEADOFF versus Batting 4th?!?!

You must not really look at statistics.
+.010 OBP is a HUGE improvement for Brandon. If he can be around .340 that is going to be very very productive for us.

He's also STILL OPS-ing .800. About 40-50 pts higher than the last two years.

He's also hitting RHP to the tune of an .800+ OPS, 60 pts higher than last year, and 130 higher than 2009.
That's been my biggest beef on him for the longest time. If he keeps that up, he's worth every penny of his contract next year.

But yeah, nothing's changed other than people are driving him in. :rolleyes:
(by the way he's been leading the LEAGUE in runs pretty much ever since he's moved to the leadoff spot, so even THAT is a ridiculous understatement).

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
08-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Reds fans would know what a player on PED's act like first hand with Volquez the last several years. Talk about selective memory. You guys are the biggest bunch of whiny, immature children I've seen. Calling out Carp for getting on his young SS for not being ready to start the game is rediculous. It's called being a leader.

Oh yeah, thanks BP for having diarrhea of the mouth and waking up the Redbirds. A team shouldn't need something like that to want to kick the snot out of another team, but thanks anyway. Edit: Nice 0-5 to back up the trashtalk, nimrod.

I guess when your team hasn't sniffed the playoffs for over a decade, you forget what success is like. Win something and then come talkin' your trash. Until then, you're just the kid on the playground getting picked last for kickball.

hilarious coming from a fans who's team is in 2nd place. its nice looking down at the cards from atop the division.

Griffey012
08-10-2010, 12:43 AM

Shouldn't you be off celebrating your victory or something? 10xWSChamps makes insightful posts and represents cards fans well...you on the other hand are making cards fans appear about as cool as cubs fans.

got10rings?
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
hilarious coming from a fans who's team is in 2nd place. its nice looking down at the cards from atop the division.

Enjoy it while you can.

got10rings?
08-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Shouldn't you be off celebrating your victory or something? 10xWSChamps makes insightful posts and represents cards fans well...you on the other hand are making cards fans appear about as cool as cubs fans.

Awesome - I'll fit right in around here.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Enjoy it while you can.

You do realize we have been in first for most of the last 2-3 months. The enjoy it while you can remark is completely out of touch with reality. Even if the Reds get swept they will still regain first again this year. You can't pitch Carpenter and Wainright every night.

got10rings?
08-10-2010, 01:12 AM
You do realize we have been in first for most of the last 2-3 months. The enjoy it while you can remark is completely out of touch with reality. Even if the Reds get swept they will still regain first again this year. You can't pitch Carpenter and Wainright every night.

You do realize your Reds can't pitch Arroyo and Cueto every night, right? The Reds have too many guys with no September pressure or playoff experience. You do know the Reds can't play teams with losing records every night, right? The Reds are 5-8 vs the Cards and 7 games under .500 vs teams with winning records. The only thing keeping Cincy in this Central race is them feasting on bottom-feeders cause they sure haven't been beating the good teams.

The reality is that the Reds are a solid team - now are they ready for the playoff push or will they falter under the pressure? The Cards have proven, experienced guys that I'll bet won't feel it as much as the Reds youngsters.

JMO

Hondo
08-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Let me clear that up for you...

IN RELATION TO THE CURRENT RUN SCORING ENVIRONMENT HE IS HAVING A CAREER YEAR

Don't even look at counting stats. This year he is hitting with a higher average, getting on base at a better clip and hitting for more extra bases.

Dude... He isn't. No offense but he is having a down year. In fact, for me, anything short of 30 HR for Phillips is a down year...

Also... I am not saying if he hits 26-27 HR it is a down year.

Hondo
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM

I do not like the Cards or Jim Edmonds... but dude is right about 1 thing... Phillips should have atleast backed up what he said and had 2-3 hits, er maybe a HR in the last AB of the game...

Ever heard that Dizzy Dean saying... "Its not cocky if ya can back it up" or whatever...

Although...

Card fan... Coming here to talk trash is a bad idea. Like I would not go to a Cards site and try and debate them on why my team is better. Kinda pointless.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the bulletin board material BP.

got10rings?
08-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Point taken Hondo

10xWSChamps
08-10-2010, 01:33 AM
http://twitpic.com/2d9p02

Even Reds fans have to admit this is funny

foxfire123
08-10-2010, 01:36 AM

:thumbup:

Hubby and I have been saying for a couple years that the cardinals are slipping something into these guys' food.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Please, lets stop with the accusations when there is no evidence of use by Pujols or Carp. It would be like me saying Votto has used roids or HGH. Its baseless and classless.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 01:41 AM
You do realize your Reds can't pitch Arroyo and Cueto every night, right? The Reds have too many guys with no September pressure or playoff experience. You do know the Reds can't play teams with losing records every night, right? The Reds are 5-8 vs the Cards and 7 games under .500 vs teams with winning records. The only thing keeping Cincy in this Central race is them feasting on bottom-feeders cause they sure haven't been beating the good teams.

The reality is that the Reds are a solid team - now are they ready for the playoff push or will they falter under the pressure? The Cards have proven, experienced guys that I'll bet won't feel it as much as the Reds youngsters.

JMO

See I completely agree with this, but when you come in here acting cocky that's what gets me irritated.

Hondo
08-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Please, lets stop with the accusations when there is no evidence of use by Pujols or Carp. It would be like me saying Votto has used roids or HGH. Its baseless and classless.

I am pretty sure Carpenter uses Womens Hygiene products after his "Emotions" ran "High" during the Game...

:owned:

10xWSChamps
08-10-2010, 01:47 AM
One other thing about the Phillips' comments, LaRussa made a good point when asked about the comments in the post game. I wonder what Edmonds, Rolen, Jocketty and Springer think of it? Obviously he isn't just talking about this year's team. I know both Rolen and Edmonds have a lot of love for the Cardinals still (Jim even still lives here in the off season) so I can't imagine they're too happy about it.

The Cardinals didn't learn about the comments until after the game, I'm not wishing for any retaliation but I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips get a HBP or a few hard slides into second in the next 5 games we have against each other.

Phillips’ comments weren’t posted until after the game had started, leaving the Cardinals unaware of what he had said until after the game. Some players gathered around a reporter to hear what Phillips had said while others were made aware of the comments while eating a postgame meal in the dining room.

Regardless, the Cardinals had very little to say publicly about the situation.

“They can talk and we’ll leave our comments to ourselves,” said second baseman Skip Schumaker. “I have to make sure he said that. It’s very surprising. It’s tough to comment yet until it’s definitely said by him. I’ll read it tomorrow I guess. I know what kind of guys we have in this clubhouse and that’s far from the truth. I’m not going to retaliate back. I’m going to let them do the talking and we’ll see how it plays out.”

Schumaker hit his first career grand slam as part of the seven-run fourth. After going down scoreless on 26 pitches in the first three innings against Reds rookie Mike Leake, the Cardinals busted out for six runs on 12 pitches to start the fourth.

Chris Carpenter did the rest, allowing two earned runs in seven innings to improve to 13-3 on the season. The Cardinals tied a season-best 13 games over the .500 mark and assured themselves of being no further than three games out of first place when they leave town.

But rather than get into a war of words with the Reds, the Cardinals appear ready to let their play on the field do the talking.

“It’s not even worth commenting on,” said closer Ryan Franklin.

Upon hearing the quote, one Cardinals player asked, “Has Tony (La Russa) heard this?”

The Cardinals manager apparently had, telling the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: “I don’t think that will go over well in his own clubhouse. Phillips is ripping his teammates - Scott Rolen, Miguel Cairo, Russ Springer, Jim Edmonds - all the ex-Cardinals over there. He isn’t talking about this year. He is talking about the way we’ve always played and those guys are old Cardinals. Tell him he’s ripping his own teammates because they are all old Cardinals.

“We win the right way and we lose the right way. We’ve received a lot of compliments over the years that when we lose we tip our caps and when we win we keep our mouths shut. That’s my comment.”

EDDIEGGG27
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
He told it like it is. No shame in that.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 02:00 AM
He told it like it is. No shame in that.

Well, that isn't how it is. Yeah, there was that incident with the balls not being up to par with Carpenter but I can't think of a whole lot of situations where the Cards were whining. To be fair in the ball situation, John Smoltz also had trouble gripping the ball last year when he played here. John Smoltz isn't the kind of player to complain about things so there might be some validity to the claim.

However, the Cards have a lot of players that are hard workers and this is definitely going to rub the Cards players the wrong way. I like passion from players but at the same time, these sort of things create bulletin board material in which the other team could potentially thrive from.

got10rings?
08-10-2010, 02:11 AM
See I completely agree with this, but when you come in here acting cocky that's what gets me irritated.

Cards fans can have rational discussions, believe it or not. But, what irritated me when I followed a link to this forum, was the first two points I see people making:
1. Calling out Carp for being a whiny baby for his 1st inning actions with his own teammate when the Reds have a guy making rediculous statements in the press about the Cards. (I truly believe this will backfire on him and the Reds so I shouldn't ***** about this.)

2. Saying Pujols and Carp took/take PED's when the Reds fans seem to ignore the proven user/previously suspended Volquez.

Discussions are great just don't be such obvious hypocrites.

EDDIEGGG27
08-10-2010, 02:13 AM
[QUOTE=MikeThierry;2199478]Well, that isn't how it is. Yeah, there was that incident with the balls not being up to par with Carpenter but I can't think of a whole lot of situations where the Cards were whining. To be fair in the ball situation, John Smoltz also had trouble gripping the ball last year when he played here. John Smoltz isn't the kind of player to complain about things so there might be some validity to the claim.

-Dave Duncan accused Bronson of having pine tar on his hat but never mentioned it the ump.

-Pujols cried when Masset fist pumped after getting out of a jam even though he stands and admires his HR's

-They cried when they had to play through the rain earlier this year vs the Reds

-Carpenter got upset at Carlos Lee for cursing after hitting a pop up that led into the benches clearing

Stl Cardinals=Crybaby b****'s like Brandon said.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 02:17 AM
I just have to ask. Are you guys from the STL Today board? They are absolutely obsessed with the Reds. Every thread is about hating Brandon Phillips, how the Reds record is an anomoly, or a conversation somebody had with a Reds fan.

Mutaman
08-10-2010, 02:18 AM
So La Russa says: "We’ve received a lot of compliments over the years that when we lose we tip our caps and when we win we keep our mouths shut."

I remember the 1990 World series. After getting swept 4 straight cap tipping Tony said that the best team did not win. It was probably the least gracious that the coach or manager of a losing team has ever been in the history of competitive sport.

So go check those shined up baseballs Tony, close your eyes when your over muscled players are shooting up, and by all means, have annother drink.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Cards fans can have rational discussions, believe it or not. But, what irritated me when I followed a link to this forum, was the first two points I see people making:
1. Calling out Carp for being a whiny baby for his 1st inning actions with his own teammate when the Reds have a guy making rediculous statements in the press about the Cards. (I truly believe this will backfire on him and the Reds so I shouldn't ***** about this.)

2. Saying Pujols and Carp took/take PED's when the Reds fans seem to ignore the proven user/previously suspended Volquez.

Discussions are great just don't be such obvious hypocrites.

Carpenter was being way over the top today. It gets very annoying watching ESPN cut over to him evry 30 seconds in the dugout looking like he's going to cry while he has a 5 run lead.

The PED's thing came up because some people on this board did a little too much :beerme:

Rijo's Ghost
08-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Dude... He isn't. No offense but he is having a down year. In fact, for me, anything short of 30 HR for Phillips is a down year...

Also... I am not saying if he hits 26-27 HR it is a down year.

He has the highest OPS+ of his career.

OPS+ is OPS adjusted for the park and the league in which the player played.

So like I said, in relation to the current run scoring environment, he is having a career year.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=MikeThierry;2199478]Well, that isn't how it is. Yeah, there was that incident with the balls not being up to par with Carpenter but I can't think of a whole lot of situations where the Cards were whining. To be fair in the ball situation, John Smoltz also had trouble gripping the ball last year when he played here. John Smoltz isn't the kind of player to complain about things so there might be some validity to the claim.

-Dave Duncan accused Bronson of having pine tar on his hat but never mentioned it the ump.

-Pujols cried when Masset fist pumped after getting out of a jam even though he stands and admires his HR's

-They cried when they had to play through the rain earlier this year vs the Reds

-Carpenter got upset at Carlos Lee for cursing after hitting a pop up that led into the benches clearing

Stl Cardinals=Crybaby b****'s like Brandon said.

Let me answer a couple of those for you:

1. Pujols didn't cry about anything, it was more of an observation. Pujols very rarely comments on things like this so its an isolated issue.

2. Did you even watch that rain game? It wasn't simply rain, it was monsoon like conditions with tornado warnings and thunderstorms. There were literally unsafe conditions in St. Louis that night. The sirens were going off. Heck, there was even a tornado that touched down only several miles away from the stadium that night. I have never seen a baseball game being played in conditions like that, ever. The "complaint" was legit.

These things you point out are isolated cases and can't be used to point out a trend that the Cards whine about everything. Pujols and other players on the Cards are some of the most classiest and hardworking players in the game.

bshall, I'm from the STL board because a thread that I can't even comment on was linked there. However, I get snarky with a lot of those "fans" because its either people hating on TLR, stupid non-issues like the whole Carp/Ryan incident tonight, and people just making stupid comments. Its amazing how it seems 50% of that board is filled with just inane topics. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a thread in there about how crazy it is that LaRussa wears sunglasses during night games. However, that one board cannot be used to point out how the whole St. Louis fan base acts.

Mutaman
08-10-2010, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=EDDIEGGG27;2199485]
However, that one board cannot be used to point out how the whole St. Louis fan base acts.

I don't think anybody around here really gives a **** about "how the whole St. Louis fan base acts".

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE=MikeThierry;2199494]

I don't think anybody around here really gives a **** about "how the whole St. Louis fan base acts".

I was answering a question by bshall, so obviously some people have inquiries on this issue. :doh:

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=Mutaman;2199495]

I was answering a question by bshall, so obviously some people have inquiries on this issue. :doh:

I said nothing about the whole fanbase I was just referring to that specific board. I wouldn't want people judging me based on other poser's comments so I do not judge others that way either.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=MikeThierry;2199498]

I said nothing about the whole fanbase I was just referring to that specific board. I wouldn't want people judging me based on other poser's comments so I do not judge others that way either.

I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I have just seen some comments about the Cards fan base on this board enough times to mention that disclaimer.

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Very pathetic to sign up for an opponents board and start posting inflammatory comments about your team and their team.

All of you Cards fans should be banned.

Go post on your own board. It serves no good for you to be here.

You are only here to gloat.

And don't give me that "I'm here to engage in constructive conversation about our two competing teams" crap. No you're not. You're here to gloat, plain and simple, and rub it in.

Then you complain when we make, obviously irrational and emotional, statements after a big game loss. What the crap do you expect? And who are you to come here and tell us how to feel or how to respond?

If we want to mouth off, IT'S OUR TEAM'S FORUM. So please, just shut the you know what up and leave us alone.

Pathetic that any of you Cards fans are even here. Seriously. Go home.

couch_manager
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Very pathetic to sign up for an opponents board and start posting inflammatory comments about your team and their team.

I'd say send them packing too but I understand why they're here...the Cardinals' forums are pathetic. :lol:

MVPujols
08-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I am here because you guys decided to start talking trash about our community (stltoday) and a link was posted there about it.

I am not a troll so dont even start, thanks.

Ill be back tonight aswell

swaisuc
08-10-2010, 09:15 AM

JMO

That works for me since that is mostly what we'll be playing.

People can make all they want to out of this series or the one in St. Louis, but both of these teams still have a ton of games against bottom-feeders. If the Reds continue to take care of business there, they'll be fine.

bounty37h
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM

I cant say it pisses me off at all, but I would say he must be embarrassed today after talking that much junk and not backing it up. Gotta go out today and save face BPhil!!

Hondo
08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=EDDIEGGG27;2199485]

Let me answer a couple of those for you:

1. Pujols didn't cry about anything, it was more of an observation. Pujols very rarely comments on things like this so its an isolated issue.

2. Did you even watch that rain game? It wasn't simply rain, it was monsoon like conditions with tornado warnings and thunderstorms. There were literally unsafe conditions in St. Louis that night. The sirens were going off. Heck, there was even a tornado that touched down only several miles away from the stadium that night. I have never seen a baseball game being played in conditions like that, ever. The "complaint" was legit.

These things you point out are isolated cases and can't be used to point out a trend that the Cards whine about everything. Pujols and other players on the Cards are some of the most classiest and hardworking players in the game.

bshall, I'm from the STL board because a thread that I can't even comment on was linked there. However, I get snarky with a lot of those "fans" because its either people hating on TLR, stupid non-issues like the whole Carp/Ryan incident tonight, and people just making stupid comments. Its amazing how it seems 50% of that board is filled with just inane topics. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a thread in there about how crazy it is that LaRussa wears sunglasses during night games. However, that one board cannot be used to point out how the whole St. Louis fan base acts.

it was more of an observation

Is that what you said? Ha That is great. You should be like Peter Gammons.

Hondo
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
He has the highest OPS+ of his career.

OPS+ is OPS adjusted for the park and the league in which the player played.

So like I said, in relation to the current run scoring environment, he is having a career year.

Rijo, which Jose Rijo was my favorite player back in the early 1990's on the Reds besides Paul O'Neil (worst traded for Reds since Frank Robinson IMO)...

But you are going to have to come back with more than his highest OPS in his career... All his other numbers are down. Which is my estimation is "not a career year"...

Not trying to argue... Just my humble opinion...

I think he should be 30+ Steals every year too...

Reds
08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
saw this on fays webblog (comments) ANYONE with a sense of humor can laugh at this:

http://twitpic.com/2d9p02

"cards moan their was to 7-3 victory." :p:

but after thinking about it, they've accused us of doctoring balls, we don't like Tony, they have some of our old players, we're gathering some of theirs, phillips blasting off, these are the types of things that make a revelry. that and winning teams. maybe a bench clearer ;)

texasdave
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I am here because you guys decided to start talking trash about our community (stltoday) and a link was posted there about it.

I am not a troll so dont even start, thanks.

Ill be back tonight aswell

Yes, but when you post something here it simply vindicates everything that was written about your community. Trust me, you're not doing stltoday any big favors.

texasdave
08-10-2010, 10:55 AM

And don't give me that "I'm here to engage in constructive conversation about our two competing teams" crap. No you're not. You're here to gloat, plain and simple, and rub it in.

Then you complain when we make, obviously irrational and emotional, statements after a big game loss. What the crap do you expect? And who are you to come here and tell us how to feel or how to respond?

If we want to mouth off, IT'S OUR TEAM'S FORUM. So please, just shut the you know what up and leave us alone.

+1

bounty37h
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Uhm so is this dude banned yet?

texasdave
08-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Someone tell Tony LaRussa this is baseball:

“He was outstanding,” Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. “That last inning, he started to lose a little steam and they got a couple points on him. But he was outstanding.”

:laugh:

Reds
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
It was the 4 run home point that hurt us last night, wasn't it texasdave? :P

texasdave
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
It was the 4 run home point that hurt us last night, wasn't it texasdave? :P

Exactly. I expect my wife to call them points, not a major league manager. In the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal; it just seemed odd.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Jesus dude, take your meds. I would rather be here than on the other forum. At least there is some decent baseball chat on here and its not about how Tony LaRussa is destroying the Cards and Cards tradition, etc.

Red in Atl
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
All I can say about BP is if you are going to open your pie hole and say something dumb that gets the other team fired up, you better back it up. The one thing I can't say I have seen out of Brandon is really backing up words with performance.

Deion Sanders talked an awful lot, mostly on the gridiron, but he was one guy that would talk something totally crazy then go out and do it or show that he was "it". If you can't do that, then all you do is add the ingredients for embarassment.

LaRussa's response was we win and lose the right way. He replies with one line and you look foolish Brandon. Especially with an 0 for 5 and a whiff to end the game...:thumbdown

Griffey012
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
All I can say about BP is if you are going to open your pie hole and say something dumb that gets the other team fired up, you better back it up. The one thing I can't say I have seen out of Brandon is really backing up words with performance.

Deion Sanders talked an awful lot, mostly on the gridiron, but he was one guy that would talk something totally crazy then go out and do it or show that he was "it". If you can't do that, then all you do is add the ingredients for embarassment.

LaRussa's response was we win and lose the right way. He replies with one line and you look foolish Brandon. Especially with an 0 for 5 and a whiff to end the game...:thumbdown

He's got 2 more games to back it up. Considering I thought we had about a 5% chance of beating Carpenter with Leake anyway, these are the 2 games Phillips really needs to do something on the field and we need to win.

OpeningDay
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I would love to hear Scott Rolen's comments on the whole ordeal. I don't see how everyone thinks that Rolen would be offended. Although Rolen was a St. Louis Cardinal for a good portion of his career, I would be hard pressed to see Rolen deep down not loving that fact that he isn't in the boat alone hating LaRussa. This team is in the midst of a pennant race and for anyone that thinks that any current Reds that are former-Cards (excluding Edmonds) would be offended by these comments would be crazy.

Although if someone gets beamed tonight, I'm a little worried as I think the Cards might be an overmatch for the Reds in an old school brawl.

krm1580
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
If Brandon Phillips bat was as quick as his mouth he would be Barry Bonds circa 2001. Unfortunatley his Willie Tavereseque .635 OPS against the Cardinals this year indicates that maybe he should just shut his face and start producing.

berryluther
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I heard he turned his hat completely sideways and said he was going to pimp smack them next. This thug like behavior is an embarrassment to the club.

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I liked this board better when there were less posters.

The Bandwagoners have all come on board, and in some way polluted the conversation. Then factor in the antagonists from other teams and it gets more polluted.

Good discussion has disappeared.

And I think it's extremely fair that Reds fans are allowed to vent after a loss. Geez, I do it on the Bearcat board after a football loss or b-ball loss, and I do on the Bengals board (Bengals Jungle) when they lose. IT'S NORMAL and expected. You see it on every team's message boards.

It really irritated me being told how I should feel or act after a loss, BY CARDS FANS, no less.

Boss Hog has spoken, so I'll choose my words wisely, but I think Cards fans should tread lightly in regard to the feelings and emotions of Reds fans since this is a Reds Fan board. It's our ZONE. :D

Hopefully, I haven't said anything wrong in lieu of Boss Hog's warning.

But I was fine until that one Cards fan started gloating big time. Then he got banned and kept showing back up under a new name. That really, really got under my skin. To the point I went to bed. It ruined this board last night, IMHO.

Not saying I acted in an adult fashion, but a big game loss can bring out the childishness in any of us. And then to be egged on by the opposing fan, well, that was just fueling my fire.

I apologize for my part in last night, but I can't exactly say I'm not still irritated by what Cards fans were doing on here.

Oh well. Let's get'em tonight.

GIDP
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I love it. If any one in the club house complains about it, it just proves Phillips point. I think the majority of his comments are directed at Pujols, Rasmus, Carpenter, and the catchers.

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Lance McAlister is making a big deal about it on his show right now. I think this is one of the most overblown things I've seen in awhile.

If the Cardinals need a quote from BP to get fired up for this series, then everything Brandon said is true.

Rijo's Ghost
08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Lance McAlister is making a big deal about it on his show right now. I think this is one of the most overblown things I've seen in awhile.

If the Cardinals need a quote from BP to get fired up for this series, then everything Brandon said is true.

Nobody had heard the quote until after the game.

realistic
08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
i think its hilarious. i loved when brandon clowned the brewers after his bomb too on the postgame talking about goin down the slide.

however...as a tennessee vol fan ive learned the hard way just how slippery the slope is when you play the talking game. sometimes its best to lay low

redsrolen
08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Michael Wilbon loved it on Pardon the Int. Said "baseball needs more of it," said he "wishes the Cubs would do it !" Looking forward to the rivalry!

LETS DO IT REDS!!!!!!:starwars:

Jack Burton
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I like the fire but quite possibly could have used a better approach.

Question; Do you guys think Pujols is still on the juice or do you think he's clean this season?

Rijo's Ghost
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Question; Do you guys think Pujols is still on the juice or do you think he's clean this season?

lol @ "still on the juice"

Pretty sure he has as many positive tests as Joey Votto.

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Definitely juicing with a masking agent to hide it.

Head coach turned his head while his entire Oakland team was juicing. Heck, Larussa is probably selling it to him. :p:

Reds
08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/08/10/to_his_everloving_credit_brand.html?cxtype=feedbot

WHEN I ARRIVED at the clubhouse he spotted me right away and headed my way, a large smile on his face. He gave me a friendly fist-punch and said, “Great. It was just great. I have to keep you working.”

He liked it when I told him that response on the blog from Reds fans was mostly positive and supportive - that it was about time somebody from the Reds showed some intestinal fortitude toward the Cardinals.

To the media at his locker, he said, “I said what I said and the Cardinals can say what they said. They can say all they want about what I said, I don’t care. I’ve said all I’ve got to say. All I want to do is win, beat those guys and win.”

Rockermann
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Rolen's thoughts on BP's comments, "Brandon put himself out there by the way he expressed himself,” Rolen said. “Everybody in this clubhouse, including Brandon, understands that the competition is on the field.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/10/rolen-on-phillips/

Rijo's Ghost
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Dusty Baker talked to him as soon as he got to the park and told him to cool it.

According to Baker's interview with Mike Shannon on FSMW.

xavr1
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what are the chances he is thrown at tonight? And if so, do the benches clear?

MVPujols
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Cardinals wont throw at him, they will hurt him where it hurts the most, in the standings.

sivman17
08-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Michael Wilbon loved it on Pardon the Int. Said "baseball needs more of it," said he "wishes the Cubs would do it !" Looking forward to the rivalry!

LETS DO IT REDS!!!!!!:starwars:

I saw that too. Dan Levitard also liked it. I was happy to hear them say that and not blow it up into some big deal.

B Phil said once that he's basically a football player (and he was a football player) playing baseball, and that's why he likes to have a lil flash and style when he plays. He ran his mouth here a little, but the only reason it's making headlines is because baseball players usually don't say things like that. If this was an NFL player saying it, I don't think it'd be much of a big deal at all.

sivman17
08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what are the chances he is thrown at tonight? And if so, do the benches clear?

Doubtful, since Garcia's been struggling lately. I'm sure the umps know about it, so if he does get hit I'm sure he will warn both benches immediately.

Rijo's Ghost
08-10-2010, 06:58 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/10/baker-on-phillips/

Baker on Phillips
Posted by jfay August 10th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Dusty Baker would prefer that his players not say inflammatory things like Brandon Phillips did yesterday. Phillips said the Cardinals “b—- and moan, all of them.” He went on to call them “Little b—–s.”

“You’d prefer they didn’t,” Baker said. “But you can’t put muzzles on guys. Everybody refers to freedom of speech, then you say what you say and you get in trouble for it. I talked to him about it. It put a little pressure on him to play better personally. The Cardinals have given him a pretty rough time personally.

“I didn’t know until I turned on ESPN. With all those bleeps in there, I was trying to fill in the blanks.”

“A man got to answer for himself.”

“Brandon knew what he was saying. That don’t make it right. That was his opinion.”

Bronson Arroyo was one of the few Reds willing to comment.

“Brandon is being Brandon,” Arroyo said. “He’s a mini version of T.O. and Ochocinco. He stirs the pot. It’s just what he does. Brandon thrives on that. You guys (in the media) thrive on that.

“I don’t take it much serious.”

A couple of players who did not what to talk stressed that this would not be a problem in the clubhouse.

Phillips spoke to the media. He did not back off what he said. We’ll post those comment shortly.

ThornWithin81
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Even if the Cardinals sweep us in this series, I like his fire. I just wish he was backing it up on the diamond right now.

I'll take crass passion over polite disinterest any day of the week.

RedsFanInBama
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I've got no problem with the comments, but when you make those comments, you need to bring it on the field. Brandon has not done that in this series. That is my only disappointment with regards to this whole situation.

Maybe he'll hit two homers tomorrow.

Reds2010Champs
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I dont think anything will be hard hit off Wainwright

I am very disapointed with BP's comments. Poor role model for children. You would never see a Jeter or Pujols do that.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Brandon Phillips did not gurantee a victory or anything. He never said the Reds were going to beat the Cardinals. He actually backed up what he said by getting into it with Molina and getting the benches cleared. He was just trying to get under their skin and it worked. We still didn't win but Phillips backed up his comments.

GIDP
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I dont think anything will be hard hit off Wainwright

I am very disapointed with BP's comments. Poor role model for children. You would never see a Jeter or Pujols do that.

Your life must be sad :(

CincyReds2003
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
As pointed out in this thread and the Old Red Guard thread...Who cares what ESPN thinks...really...they're a bunch of minimum wage pretty boy anchors and reporters who are going to support the guys who have been there..that's all..If ESPN was the **** the Rich Eisens, the Andrea Kremers, and the Dan Patricks of the world would have never left. The Cards won the battle..big deal!!! Win the war! And as long as they can't beat the Nationals, Cubs, and the Astros of the world..it's not going to happen..If it takes the Cardinals to get motivated over some comments..then go on with their bad selves, because if they do make the playoffs..then it's one and done..since motivation by comments only go so far....

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Actually, I wouldn't be overlooking the Astros. They have a nice young nucleus there and have been playing good baseball as of late. It wouldn't surprise me if next year they actually have a solid team. I'm not saying they will make the playoffs but they should at least be accounted for.

Reds
08-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Actually, I wouldn't be overlooking the Astros. They have a nice young nucleus there and have been playing good baseball as of late. It wouldn't surprise me if next year they actually have a solid team. I'm not saying they will make the playoffs but they should at least be accounted for.

I think the Astros have scored more runs than any team since the AS break.