PDA

View Full Version : Chapman not closing tonight

Cant Touch This
08-09-2010, 10:37 PM
At the Bats / Mud Hens game in Toledo.

Bottom of the 9th, Bats up 6-5. Danny Rey Herrera called upon to close. I thought chapman had been closing, but I'm not certain.

Not really reading anything into it. Yet.

FYI Dorn hit an absolute bomb out to RF tonight.

crazyjdawg
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Maybe they're saving him for his call up tomorrow.

KOBasinger
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe they're saving him for his call up tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

MikeThierry
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Why haven't they called him up yet? I would have thought he would have been up in The Show already.

TheBigLebowski
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Per the ORG, Homer was scratched from his start tonight.

My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that Leake is DL-bound and Nix is going to be DFA'd. Homer called up to replace Leake and Chapman gets Nix's spot on the roster.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Why haven't they called him up yet? I would have thought he would have been up in The Show already.

We don't have any room for him. Fisher and Bray are really the only two guys I can see going down for Chapman, but he'd only be a serious upgrade over Fisher.

texasdave
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM

My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that Leake is DL-bound and Nix is going to be DFA'd. Homer called up to replace Leake and Chapman gets Nix's spot on the roster.

Maybe Carlos Fisher gets sent back since he won't be availabe for several games after his performance last night.

redsfan_12
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

DL bound for what reason?

redsfan_12
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Maybe Carlos Fisher gets sent back since he won't be availabe for several games after his performance last night.

That's what Nomar was talking about during the broadcast last night. That makes too much sense for Dusty

Rockermann
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
DL bound for what reason?

Shoulder inflammation? Weak arm syndrome? Anything to get him on the DL for some rest and to reduce his innings pitched. Plus, it doesn't hamper the big club as far as rosters moves go. Nor does it burn one of his options (as it would if they just sent him to the minors).

scott91575
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Shoulder inflammation? Weak arm syndrome? Anything to get him on the DL for some rest and to reduce his innings pitched. Plus, it doesn't hamper the big club as far as rosters moves go. Nor does it burn one of his options (as it would if they just sent him to the minors).

If he is still using options 4 years from now he is not going to be much of a pitcher. Just send him down. Plus once he spends 20 days in the minors you add one year to his FA timeline.

He is not a 18 or 19 year old. If he is jumping up and down from the minors in 4 years he would be close to being waived anyway.

takealeake
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Dream scenario: Cordero somehow gets traded through waivers for another overpaid veteran player who can at least play the infield and give you a hit or two Cairo esque.

Fransisco and Fisher get sent down. Leake gets moved to emergency long man for the rest of the year to cut his innings. Bailey takes over Leake's spot in the rotation, and Chapman is the new closer/set up man.

Yeah insane pipe dream I know.

takealeake
08-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Add on to this, I saw this on MLB trade rumors:

From 2001-2008, Carlos Beltran was at least a five-win player every year except for '05. Even last year, despite missing July and August with a bone bruise behind his knee, Beltran provided value. However, the Mets and Beltran battled about his decision to have January knee surgery, a procedure that delayed his 2010 debut until July 15th. Beltran's first 90 plate appearances and 180 innings in center field have gone so poorly that David Waldstein of the New York Times says the Mets would let him go for nothing if a team claims him off waivers this month.

Waldstein finds a waiver claim "extremely unlikely," as Beltran is owed over $5.5MM this year and $18.5MM in 2011 before his contract is up. He has a full no-trade clause. Waldstein expects the Mets to be open to trading Beltran this winter but believes the outfielder's salary will be an impediment. He suggests the Mets would be reluctant to assume much of Beltran's contract in a trade.

Straight up trade for Beltran and we throw in someone who's equally useless making salary to even it up, or ask them to put in money. I would trade Cordero in a second for that deal.

Krawhitham
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Nix batted .500 in July, he has become a very good bat off the bench

You think Edmonds can hit .500 for a month coming off the bench?