PDA

View Full Version : Homer's rehab is officially over.

batsfan
08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
The Louisville Bats facebook page says that Homer Bailey ended his rehab assignment today. I assume he will take Cueto's place on the roster.

bshall2105
08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
This means goodbye to Carlos Fisher or Mike Leake once Wood comes back up and all of the suspension crap is over with.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
This means goodbye to Carlos Fisher or Mike Leake once Wood comes back up and all of the suspension crap is over with.

I'm guessing Leake is pretty darn close to being shut down.

brm7675
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I would see the Reds:

A) Demoting Fisher and having Homer take his spot
B) Homer pitches in Cueto's next turn with the suspension
C) Once Cueto's suspension is over Leake is sent down and Wood is recalled
D) Wood starts in Leake's spot
E) Leake is recalled at the first of Sept when rosters expands.

KOBasinger
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I would see the Reds:

A) Demoting Fisher and having Homer take his spot
B) Homer pitches in Cueto's next turn with the suspension
C) Once Cueto's suspension is over Leake is sent down and Wood is recalled
D) Wood starts in Leake's spot
E) Leake is recalled at the first of Sept when rosters expands.

Why would Leake be recalled? He's pretty much at the end of his year innings/pitches wise. You don't think Chapman will be up?

mckbearcat48
08-12-2010, 05:03 PM
If Homer's got his groove back, it really helps your chances.

texasdave
08-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Once Cueto starts serving his suspension does the team play a man short or do they get to add someone to the 25-man roster?

bshall2105
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Once Cueto starts serving his suspension does the team play a man short or do they get to add someone to the 25-man roster?

I asked this earlier and was told that you get to add someone.

texasdave
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I asked this earlier and was told that you get to add someone.

Thanks.

brm7675
08-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Why would Leake be recalled? He's pretty much at the end of his year innings/pitches wise. You don't think Chapman will be up?

God I hope not, the kid is not ready, let him come up later on...

bshall2105
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM

What makes you think he's not ready? His numbers are fine, his control is improving, he's got to be through the culture shock. I have never seen your reason that Chapman should not come up.

jhc2010
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Why would Leake be recalled? He's pretty much at the end of his year innings/pitches wise.For his bat. When the rosters expand, he could pinch hit or pinch run throughout September as needed.

Trace's Daddy
08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
For his bat. When the rosters expand, he could pinch hit or pinch run throughout September as needed.

What about Alonso for that? Or would he already be up?

ian_madden
08-13-2010, 01:34 AM
What about Alonso for that? Or would he already be up?

I don't want Alonso pinch running, ever.;)

Kiss the Baby00
08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
i have a very hard time believing that a contending team would shut down one of their best starters over the course of the season in the midst of a pennant race. what is the point of baseball if you aren't going to throw your best pitchers down the stretch?

Griffey012
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
i have a very hard time believing that a contending team would shut down one of their best starters over the course of the season in the midst of a pennant race. what is the point of baseball if you aren't going to throw your best pitchers down the stretch?

Leake like Jonny Gomes have skewed overall number due to a ridiculous month of May.

April 4GS 3.25 ERA 1.41 WHIP
May 6 GS 1.88 ERA 1.15 WHIP
June 5 GS 5.22 ERA 1.77 WHIP
July 4 GS 4.56 ERA 1.32 WHIP
Aug 2 GS 6.23 ERA 1.85 WHIP

His ERA since the beginning of June is 5.05. He is not one of our best starters for half the season. He is basically pitching to the equivalent of Aaron Harang for the last 2+ months. Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez, Bailey, Harang, Maloney are all capable of putting up equivalent to better performances over the rest of the season, no reason to push the guy so hard because we do not have to.

PhatHead
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM

I think you gotta bring him up and get him some big league experience before next year. Drop him the bullpen and let him pitch 1/3, 2/3 or an inning here and there in non-critical situations. Let's see what he can do in the bigs before we have to make pitching decisions in the off season.

KOBasinger
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Problem is, is that he isn't one of our best pitchers anymore. Maybe 2 1/2 months ago but not anymore. He's still very young and his arm is about done for the year.

ThornWithin81
08-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Mike Leake is no longer one of our best starters. He's wearing down right now... shutting him down is the smart option. He's reached the numbers they had set for him. Don't run him into the ground... it will only get worse.

Mike Leake's Totals over his last 10 starts (June 10th - August 9th):
Wins: 2
Losses: 4
Innings Pitched: 56.2
Runs Allowed: 44
ER Allowed: 36
ERA: 5.71
HR Allowed: 11 (This number is especially bad - he only allowed 4 HR in his first 11 starts by comparison)

Keep in mind his ERA would be noticeably HIGHER if he had been charged for the 7 runs allowed against Pittsburgh on August 3rd.

Shut him down before it gets any worse.

mu4103
08-13-2010, 02:18 PM

This was the only thing I could find on suspensions. Cueto would remain on the 25 man roster.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/cubs-40-man-roster

SUSPENDED, DISQUALIFIED, and INELIGIBLE LISTS

A player on the Suspended List counts against both his club's Active Roster (25-man roster) and Reserve List (40-man roster), so a stint on this list is usually temporary.