PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto needs to cool it!

Carin4Narron
08-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I understand that he might have been right today with the strike zone. But you DO NOT get thrown out of a game where your team needs you! With Rolen being out, the team really needed his bat in the line up. Thank God, they were able to win without him.

Joey acted like a baby after being thrown out. This isn't the first time either, he was thrown out in the first inning the Sunday the All Star team was annouced, he was upset that he didn't make the team the first go around.

Then after the fans voted him in, he said, I am glad that the fans voted me in because I deserve it. You can believe that. But you shouldn't say things like that in public.

Joey needs to grow up for the sake of himself and for the team.

Krawhitham
08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Votto is fine the way he is

Carin4Narron
08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Would you say that if he acted that way and got thrown out in a playoff game?

GBC Red
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Were you watching the same game as me? Votto didn't do anything. Cowboy was shocked. I would have acted the same way if I'd have been thrown out like that. Considering Votto didn't even look up at the umpire at the time of his ejection, I really don't see where you think he needs to cool it.

jmac
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Many players turn and talk/argue during or after an AB. Votto didnt do anything compared to some. The Ump was in Triple A last year and threw the interim Fla manager out 5 times last season. Dont blame it on Joey.

Dale4Saul2Red0
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
anddddddddddddddddd no

Trace's Daddy
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
The Jim Rome buzzer needs to be played after reading this subject line.

Carin4Narron
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
He should have kept his cool. The way he reacted might lead to suspension. The Reds can not aford that!

bshall2105
08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Seeing as we won today, I don't think the tedam needed him. He should not have been thrown out for doing something that everyone in the league has done. His reaction wasn't that bad. He looked over to Dusty than proceeded to argue without getting right into his face, or even touching the ump. He should not have been thrown out and he does not need to cool it.

foxfire123
08-15-2010, 05:15 PM
A veteran Ump would have just told Joey to settle down or knock it off and let him play. and unless he did it again, he wouldn't have been tossed. This was the case of a young Ump trying to show off his ahhthorrrahhtaay.

takealeake
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow this thread is a total fail. Nice try though. Votto did nothing wrong, if you get tossed for bull crap then the ump can and SHOULD hear about it. This is the same ump that was so great that got him punched by Jose Offerman. Obviously it's not a Joey Votto issue.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Im disappointed that the Ump didnt toss everyone who didnt agree with his strikes.

cw0802
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Just watched the video on MLB.com...I'm not very familiar with Votto's at bat rituals, but it did appear he took his time getting back to the box. Anyone reported on what he said to the ump when he got back into the box?

GIDP
08-15-2010, 06:07 PM
If they throw players out for that, then they should throw players out who lift their arms over their waist after any call they dont agree with no matter what.

Seriously only 2 people in that stadium probably could hear votto let alone make out what he said and it was the catcher and the ump.

Ump showed that he couldnt handle the show and wanted to make someone an example.

cincysportsfan
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
He should have kept his cool. The way he reacted might lead to suspension. The Reds can not aford that!

I highly doubt that Votto is going to be suspended.
The ump tossing him out of the game in the first place is stupid.

Kiss the Baby00
08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I understand that he might have been right today with the strike zone. But you DO NOT get thrown out of a game where your team needs you! With Rolen being out, the team really needed his bat in the line up. Thank God, they were able to win without him.

Joey acted like a baby after being thrown out. This isn't the first time either, he was thrown out in the first inning the Sunday the All Star team was annouced, he was upset that he didn't make the team the first go around.

Then after the fans voted him in, he said, I am glad that the fans voted me in because I deserve it. You can believe that. But you shouldn't say things like that in public.

no

Redeye fly
08-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Votto did not in any way say that, not even if you paraphrase what he said. It's really even speculation to say he was thrown out in the other game because he was upset over not making the All Star team. It's very possible he was and that had an effect, but it's still speculation.

Redeye fly
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM

This is just silly. I don't mean to call you out or offend you in saying that, but the National League is not going to suspend Votto for arguing the strike zone and getting ejected from a game. You can yell and scream and throw out every curse word in the book and as long as you don't physically touch or threaten the umpire in any way, they're probably still not going to suspend you.

Vottomatic
08-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Worst ejection I've seen all year, and watch mlb.com daily for recaps.

I was watching the game and saw the second called strike come in. One of the worst called strike's I've ever seen in my life. I was thinking to myself that I'm surprised Joey doesn't argue that call.

Next thing I know, he's getting ejected and I didn't even see him look at the ump or say anything.

That one is on the umpire being pathetic. Nothing else you can say.

Joey suspended? They should suspend the umpire.

ezluke
08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Just watched the video on MLB.com...I'm not very familiar with Votto's at bat rituals, but it did appear he took his time getting back to the box. Anyone reported on what he said to the ump when he got back into the box?

I caught the miiddle of the discussion but I think the local radio guy Doc said it was an F*** you that got him tossed. Duuno if he knows that for certain, or if he was just guessing.

You are right though, he did exaggerate his between pitch routine. After the first ball he didn't leave the box, after the first strike he walked away talking to the ground and then did the same thing again after the next strike. Watching on tv my guess was that was what the ump took as showing him up.

I'm not going to take this as far as the original poster, but Votto can't get thrown out of games, he just can't..especially when we just sent down one of two reserve infielders.

Seņor Rojo
08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Votto was also ejected during an AB. I'm not too familiar with how frequently it happens, but from what I can recall, it seems to be pretty rare. Even if you think he lost his cool, you have to admit that he handled himself well after he was ejected on a really questionable decision made by the umpire. He said his piece and went to the dugout, leaving Dusty to handle the situation. He didn't go Zambrano on the umpire and get in his face. I can remember worse behavior by Joey, such as his slamming his helmet down in the batter's box the day the All-Star selections game out.

Vottomatic
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
You are right though, he did exaggerate his between pitch routine. After the first ball he didn't leave the box, after the first strike he walked away talking to the ground and then did the same thing again after the next strike. Watching on tv my guess was that was what the ump took as showing him up.

He probably had to digest the new strike zone and prepare himself to swing at anything in a 5'x5' box. :D

Takes a moment for a batter to adjust to an outrageous K zone.

CWRed
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Worst. Post. Ever.

xavr1
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
The one thing I DO agree with about the original post is that I didnt really like the way Votto handled the All Star thing. "Woe is me." This is the same guy who said he never wanted to hit 3 HRs in a game again because he didnt like the attention he got.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that his ejection today was BS.

Kingspoint
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a lot of respect for people who speak up about wrongs even if it has a "cost", which it usually does.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." -- John Bernard Books

UPRedsFan
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Some of you are over reacting and manufacturing reasons to criticize Votto.

This was an unprecedented ejection. Batters don't get ejected for talking to the dirt. The umpire obviously has a hair trigger. It'll pass.

redlegs2370
08-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I thought the ejection was bad but then again I didn't here what Joey had said to the umpire. I do think it is a combination of the umpire being young and Joey is starting to get a reputation of complaining about calls.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad, he is so focused and such a competitor that I don't want him to lose his edge (he is leading league in hitting plus ranks high in other major categories) however the Reds can ill afford for him to be getting ejected either. Hopefully Joey finds a happy medium, it was a tough week for the right side of the infield this week. He and Brandon are both young players and will learn, this is the first time (professionally) they have played with this kind of pressure on every game.

webbbj
08-15-2010, 11:01 PM
i thought votto did a very good job of keeping his cool.

Cant Touch This
08-15-2010, 11:16 PM
This was the case of a young Ump trying to show off his ahhthorrrahhtaay.

No kitty, that's mah pot paah. NO KITTY, THAT'S A BAD KITTY!"

But I digress.

Young player, young ump. Chalk it up and move on. If I had to judge, I'd still say this was a clear case of premature ejection.

Vottomatic
08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
No kitty, that's mah pot paah. NO KITTY, THAT'S A BAD KITTY!"

But I digress.

Young player, young ump. Chalk it up and move on. If I had to judge, I'd still say this was a clear case of premature ejection.

There's medicine for that. Not sure who should take it though.......I guess the ump.

PhatHead
08-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Amen, brother !!!!

This is Joey Votto we're talking about here.... not Milton Bradley.

Caveman Techie
08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Unless Votto dropped the F bomb to the ump, this ejection was unwarranted and MLB will have to discipline the umpire. Unfortunately, we will never know if he gets disciplined or not, MLB likes to keep that sort of thing close to the vest.

realistic
08-16-2010, 01:55 PM
i thought it looked kinda weak the way he looked at the dugout then the ump, then the dugout. like "Save me dusty!"

ive NEVER seen a player thrown out arguing calls that wasnt at least lookin at the umpire.

lets not kid ourselves though, joey whines and smirks every single pitch. just part of his intensity and it does seem to help him get calls/walks so i hope he continues to do it

Girevik
08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Unless Votto dropped the F bomb to the ump, this ejection was unwarranted and MLB will have to discipline the umpire. Unfortunately, we will never know if he gets disciplined or not, MLB likes to keep that sort of thing close to the vest.

My understanding is that even the f-bomb is okay as long and you don't get personal. "That was a $@#$^$ cal"l is okay, "you're a $%#$%^" will get you run.

mckbearcat48
08-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I know some umpires, and every one of them said the same thing..."you" is the magic word. At that point, it becomes personal and the player gets run. Votto is one hell of a player...probably better for the Reds if he forgets the three letter second person pronoun.

two-hole
08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Votto was ripping on the ump from the on deck circle with Bruce at bat. To continue whining while standing in the batters box leaves the umpire with little choice.

This ump may have had a quick trigger, but Votto is a serial B&S's complainer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100815&content_id=13484640&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

here's the video, btw.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Hearing the ump yell "Boom" makes me think hes just a tool box that couldnt handle someone disagreeing with something he did. Ump wanted to make himself the show.

Vottomatic
08-16-2010, 04:12 PM
In regards to this.......

i thought it looked kinda weak the way he looked at the dugout then the ump, then the dugout. like "Save me dusty!"

ive NEVER seen a player thrown out arguing calls that wasnt at least lookin at the umpire.

lets not kid ourselves though, joey whines and smirks every single pitch. just part of his intensity and it does seem to help him get calls/walks so i hope he continues to do it

.....and........

Votto was ripping on the ump from the on deck circle with Bruce at bat. To continue whining while standing in the batters box leaves the umpire with little choice.

This ump may have had a quick trigger, but Votto is a serial B&S's complainer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100815&content_id=13484640&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

here's the video, btw.

DID YOU SEE THE PITCH?????

I seriously doubt it. The focus seems to be ridiculously pointed on Joey Votto when it needs to be on the ump considering how bad that strike call was.

I'm not exaggerating. That was one of the worst, if not THE WORST, strike calls I've seen all season.

I was bi&*^#ing when he called strike two and was wondering why Joey wasn't. Next thing, he's getting ejected and he never even looked at the ump.

THE CALL WAS TERRIBLE.

This one is on the ump.

Please do not even try to equate Joey Votto with Chrissy Carpenter. No comparison. :rolleyes:

two-hole
08-16-2010, 04:37 PM
In regards to this.......

.....and........

DID YOU SEE THE PITCH?????

I seriously doubt it. The focus seems to be ridiculously pointed on Joey Votto when it needs to be on the ump considering how bad that strike call was.

I'm not exaggerating. That was one of the worst, if not THE WORST, strike calls I've seen all season.

I was bi&*^#ing when he called strike two and was wondering why Joey wasn't. Next thing, he's getting ejected and he never even looked at the ump.

THE CALL WAS TERRIBLE.

This one is on the ump.

Please do not even try to equate Joey Votto with Chrissy Carpenter. No comparison. :rolleyes:

Saw the pitch, posted the vid, own the teeshirt.

Fact: It was a terrible call.
Fact: Votto argued it.
Fact: No one is allowed to argue balls and strikes.
Fact: Votto was ejected.

The umpire was well within his rights, horrible call or not. Once it's called, the toothpaste it out of the tube. Votto isn't going to accomplish anything by crying about it. If he doesn't learn to control his mouth, he's only going to further perpetuate the reputation he has already garnered as a hothead.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm watching a baseball game right now and if they tossed players for doing what Votto did we would be watching 3 on 3 baseball games.

mu4103
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm watching a baseball game right now and if they tossed players for doing what Votto did we would be watching 3 on 3 baseball games.

Me too. I just saw a player turn around and talk to the ump about the call without getting ejected.

In Votto's case. Somebody needs to get him off that field. Obviously he was lit up. Dusty needed to tell him to get in the dugout. After that another coach on the bench needs to get up there and get him out.

couch_manager
08-16-2010, 11:37 PM
In Votto's case. Somebody needs to get him off that field. Obviously he was lit up. Dusty needed to tell him to get in the dugout. After that another coach on the bench needs to get up there and get him out.

Why? He was already kicked out. He should at least get his money's worth before he leaves the field.

08-17-2010, 03:11 AM

The umpire was well within his rights, horrible call or not. Once it's called, the toothpaste it out of the tube. Votto isn't going to accomplish anything by crying about it. If he doesn't learn to control his mouth, he's only going to further perpetuate the reputation he has already garnered as a hothead.

The ump was well within his rights. In fact, he is well within his rights for throwing out a player if he doesn't like his haircut. The ump as the right to throw out any player for any reason.

This issue at hand is whether or not the ump was wise to throw Votto out.

I would argue no, because Votto never showed him up. I don't care what was said, or when it was said. If you and the ump are the only two who know that you are complaining, the ump should not throw you out of the game.

Throwing out a player who is not showing you up, but is merely complaining to you while he his hitting or getting lose, without ever looking at you, actually creates a disruption where there is none. It just makes matters worse.

So Votto probably hurt the umps feelings by saying something mean. The ump needs to suck it up and let the game continue. If he wants to get back at Votto, he can talk to him in between innings, or even write him up in his post game report. But throwing him out in the first inning is just not smart and it's just not good umpiring.

texasdave
08-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Do you think a batter ever gets a call in his favor later in the game by discreetly arguing with the umpire? If not, what is the point of it?

mu4103
08-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Why? He was already kicked out. He should at least get his money's worth before he leaves the field.

Agreed, but a coach needs to get in there before he makes matters worse and does something he might really regret.

Girevik
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM

As long as the player isn't facing the ump and "showing him up", the player almost NEVER gets run. I don't think anyone else in the park new Votto was griping.

GIDP
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
People must just be arguing about their favorite TV shows after they see a borderline strike. That must be why they dont get tossed. Didnt really think about it until now but it does make sense.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I've been watching players argue balls and strikes for 45 years and rarely get ejected.

I guess you've been living under a rock.

CWRed
08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Amazed nobody has pointed this out but...

On FoxTrac the pitch in question landed at the very top right of the strike zone. Not usually called a strike, but it actually was in the zone.

10xWSChamps
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Someone should ask Brandon Phillips how he feels about Joey ;)

Carin4Narron
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Someone should ask Brandon Phillips how he feels about Joey ;)Why not! Brandon got Josh Hamilton out of town by being jelous of him! This team can't handle success yet. They let little things bug them way to much!

Carin4Narron
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Votto isn't going to accomplish anything by crying about it. If he doesn't learn to control his mouth, he's only going to further perpetuate the reputation he has already garnered as a hothead.

Thank You Two-Hole for your response stated above. Glad someone else realizes this is an issue!

foxfire123
08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Joey? Hothead? Wow. Just... Wow. :confused:

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Joey? Hothead? Wow. Just... Wow. :confused:

Yeah. Comical.

Maybe they need better umps. Seems like I've seen more bad calls and more bad strike zones this year than any year ever.

mckbearcat48
08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah. Comical.

Maybe they need better umps. Seems like I've seen more bad calls and more bad strike zones this year than any year ever.

I said the same thing, and a friend of mine corrected me: "No, you are just noticing the crap more."

Redeye fly
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Why not! Brandon got Josh Hamilton out of town by being jelous of him! This team can't handle success yet. They let little things bug them way to much!

Number one, Brandon Phillips didn't get Josh Hamilton out of town. Brandon didn't go to Wayne Krivsky and say "Hey Wayne, I don't like how much people like that Hamilton guy. I'm the show in Cincinnati, so get him out of here."

To which, if, if,if that was even a remote possibility, there's absolutely no way that Wayne responded with something along the lines of "You're right Brandon, you run the show and whatever you say in Cincinnati goes. I'll get rid of him."

Secondly, using an example from Brandon Phillips 2-3 years ago and a Reds team from 2-3 years ago to say that this Reds team in 2010 can't handle success yet when they went out and expressly got players like Rolen, Cabrera, even guys perhaps like Cairo and Gomes to help with that.

Um:confused:

Redeye fly
08-17-2010, 08:43 PM
If Votto's behavior and reaction to being ejected this last time is indicative of someone who is a hot head, then guys like Milton Bradley and Albert Belle are raging psychopaths. Which may not be the best analogy, because Mr. Bradley and Mr. Belle (Belle especially) may very much be just that anyway.

But really, Votto didn't have any more of a "hot headed" reaction either in arguing the strike zone or after getting ejected than what the vast majority of Reds Zone probably would have had if they were in his shoes.

Rockermann
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Joey's thoughts on the toss out...

"I'm not going to go into what I said," Votto said. "I'll leave that on the field. I was surprised. But I didn't say anything to get ejected."

"I have a good reputation with the umpires," he said. "The ones I've wronged I've apologized to. I try to be as professional as possible on the field. It's part of what comes with my game. Intensity is a big part of the game. Sometimes I take it out on the umpires. But, in general, I think I have a good reputation."

More here... (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20100817/SPT04/8180383/)

Stray
08-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear those comments from Votto, but he has been tossed from 4 games in 2 years. You can say he didn't deserve to be kicked out, and I agree with that, but the best player on our team cannot get tossed from games in the middle of a playoff race.

Arguing balls and strikes with an ump will rarely get you anywhere and is more often than not, not worth it. Let your manager bark at the ump if someone has to.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:20 AM
He never got tossed for just talking to an ump like that. When hes been tossed he's either flipping out on them or he tosses his helmet.

Carin4Narron
08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Glad to hear those comments from Votto, but he has been tossed from 4 games in 2 years. You can say he didn't deserve to be kicked out, and I agree with that, but the best player on our team cannot get tossed from games in the middle of a playoff race.

Arguing balls and strikes with an ump will rarely get you anywhere and is more often than not, not worth it. Let your manager bark at the ump if someone has to. My thoughts exactly!

Carin4Narron
08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Suppose Joey played for St.Louis or any other team and if he acted out like that, what would you think of him then? I think so! Why think differently just because he is a Red? Wrong is wrong. You have a right to speak out, if you think a player is hurting your team by his actions!

GIDP
08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Suppose Joey played for St.Louis or any other team and if he acted out like that, what would you think of him then? I think so! Why think differently just because he is a Red? Wrong is wrong. You have a right to speak out, if you think a player is hurting your team by his actions!

I see 100% of baseball players question balls and strikes. I honestly wish Bruce would complain about the low outside strikes that get called on him all the time more often.