PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice (suicide squeeze on Saturday)?

redssince75
08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
We actually did a suicide squeeze on Saturday with Speier calling the shots instead of Dusty? My entrance to this board earlier this summer was venting about inability to get runners in from 3rd with <2 outs. And we haven't gotten much better since then, we NEVER squeeze. Hopefully that was a subtle message from Speier to Dusty, "hey captain, here's what this play can do for us....."

mattfeet
08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Saw it. Loved it. Hope it repeats itself.

OUTSTANDING bunt by Janish on that plate. Simply outstanding.

-Matt

Vottomatic
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Saw it. Loved it. Hope it repeats itself.

OUTSTANDING bunt by Janish on that plate. Simply outstanding.

-Matt

It was outstanding. And the pitch was thrown inside and almost hit him. I don't know how he got such a great bunt down. One of the truly remarkable bunts I've ever seen in my lifetime.

Dale4Saul2Red0
08-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmm Dusty ran a successful squeeze just a short while ago.

sivman17
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
The Reds have attempted squeezes multiple times this season. Usually the batter fouled it off.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Janish bunt was like 90% luck as well. The pitcher looked like he was trying to hit him honestly.

Jr's Boy
08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Dusty has attempted many squeeze attempts this year,and I'm sure he called for that one.Just because the skipper is not in the dugout does not mean he isn't still calling the shots.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Dusty has attempted many squeeze attempts this year,and I'm sure he called for that one.Just because the skipper is not in the dugout does not mean he isn't still calling the shots.

Did he do it with telepathy? Because he was in Walt Jockettys GM suite.

redssince75
08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, to those who said we've tried squeezes this year....

I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman Reds fan, a simple man dazzled by your large loud gatherings of people in red and your boxes showing moving pictures of a game played hundreds of miles away, and your flying machines. I don't claim to have seen or memorized all the Reds plays this year, and I don't claim to have any answers to how Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs can strike out less often.

But there is one thing I do know......

WHEN I NOTICED THE CINCINNATI REDS HAD A PROBLEM SCORING RUNS WITH A MAN ON THIRD AND LESS THAN TWO OUT, ESPECIALLY LATE IN GAMES WHERE THE REDS WERE DOWN BY 1 RUN, I BEGAN TAKING NOTE OF SUCH SITUATIONS. TO DATE, I HAVE COUNTED PAST THE 10 FINGERS ON MY HAND THE TIMES I'VE SEEN SUCH SITUATIONS, AND HAVE NEVER TAKEN A FINGER AWAY FOR A TIME I'VE SEEN IT ADDRESSED BY A SUICIDE SQUEEZE CALLED BY DUSTY BAKER.

That is all......I rest my case.

Vottomatic
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Did he do it with telepathy? Because he was in Walt Jockettys GM suite.

Yep. Funny stuff. :beerme:

AintlifeGrande
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I would like to hear some of The Old Red Guard intelligentsia weigh in on whether Dusty still calls the shots to a certain extent when he is not in the dugout.

New York Red
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
The Reds have attempted squeezes multiple times this season. Usually the batter fouled it off.
That's what I was thinking also. You have to have a skilled bunter at the plate in order to successfully execute a squeeze/suicide bunt, and the Reds don't have too many skilled bunters. But they aren't alone. Bunting is one of the lost arts in today's baseball.

scott91575
08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
There were at least two other times Dusty called a suicide squeeze. One time led to a pop out and double play. The other was successful.

Griffey012
08-16-2010, 05:42 PM
It's a pretty easy call with Janish at the plate, he is a great contact/bat control guy. The problem is the situation usually comes with guys who are the opposite, like Stubbs. Whoever was calling the shots made a great call.

scott91575
08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Is this team really that bad at getting runners in from third with less than 2 outs? It seems every fan base complains about it. I think the league average success rate is around 65%, but every fan thinks it's closer to 100% and complains when their team doesn't get a runner home form third with less than 2 outs.

I could be wrong, and the Reds are below league average (I can't find that stat). Yet they do OPS better than the league with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs (103 sOPS+....compares OPS+ to the league in the same situation, and 100 is the average).

sivman17
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I can't find team stats with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs, but here are some other relevant stats and how the Reds rank in the NL:

Runners in Scoring Position
BA: 1st (.281)
R: 1st
H: 1st
HR: 1st
RBI: 1st
OBP: 5th (.366)
SLG: 3rd (.443)
OPS: 3rd (.809)
Sac Flies: 3rd (39)

RISP w/ 2 Outs
BA: 1st (.274)
R: 1st
H: 1st
HR: 2nd
RBI: 1st
OBP: 2nd (.380)
SLG: 1st (.433)
OPS: 1st (.813)

Reds are very solid at the plate. These are stats with runners on, but even without anyone on they are right at the top in the all the same categories.