PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Colin Cowherd rips Votto, the Reds, and Paul Daughtery

ian_madden
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Colin Cowerd has been ripping Joey Votto and his supporters for about an hour now. He said, "The all star vote is broke down into 3 categories, legacy, stats, and popularity. He goes on to say that his legacy is not that of Gonzalez, Prince Albert or Howard. He said that he is not as popular, and that his stats are just a little bit better than those mentioned.

I do agree that these other 1st baseman have a better legacy, but Joey Votto has been playing for 3 years. That is not enough time to develope a legacy. He will have a great one.

His numbers are the best, regardless of time, span or anything else. Votto has better numbers than everyone else.

I agree that the others are more popular but that is because of their legacy, not their stats this year. So in my opinion, it is not a 3 dimension argument, but a 2 dimension argument. Popularity and legacy are the same.

Ryan Howard is not putting up great numbers, he is an all star because of his manager.

Colin Cowherd has a problem with Cincy.

Colin is doing a good thing for Votto, he is talking about him.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
The problem with Howard making it its not like hes the 4th best first baseman. Hes 7th in OPS. Thats not even counting his D which he certainly isnt excelling at either. Those are basic things, you can go down the list and the guy isnt better than Votto. Vottos road OPS is better than Howards home OPS. So even the home field thing is a stupid argument. Not to mention that Votto has been the better player since hes came into the league over Howard.

defender
07-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hopefully it turns out that Votto is the better all around player, but Howard is an Allstar. In addition to the HRs and RBIs, he is one of the most poplular players.

arkimadee
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Joey not making the all-star team is the best thing that has ever happened to him.. When was the last time he got this much press?? NEVER! This will do nothing but advance his star power to the next level and help get Joey Votto more money when his contract time comes up in a few years. The bottom line is that the all-star snub has brought the arrival of Joey Votto the superstar to the couch of all Americans. Not to mention he will probably get voted in.

bshall2105
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I think that Cowherd actually feels bad that Votto didn't make the all star team. He tries to come off as some arrogant big city guy, that hates small town people. But really I think he's just trying to get Joey the press he deserves. He even mentioned it on his show that Votto has become way more popular in the last two days than he has been in the last three years.

markymark69
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Colin Blowhard doesn't really know that much about sports - if you really pay attention to his show. He's mouthy and has an opinion - which is what makes for good talk radio. Some of his points are valid, but for the most part he really doesn't know that much - not about baseball anyway.

If Votto was in a bigger market or in a market where they have "big boy radio" as he calls it - he would be signing a different tune about Votto.

There is no way that you can look at Joey Votto's stats and not say that he shouldn't be in the All-Star game. We all know how the All-Star game works, but to say that Votto shouldn't be in the All-Star game is reaching a new height of stupidity. But, Blowhard's credibility was shot long before this.

Vottomatic
07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
This All-Star snub is going to fuel Votto into a great second half, to go with his great first half, and he is going to win the NL MVP. Bank on it.

MBZags
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
He also blamed Cincinnati fans for not voting Votto in, which is ridiculous considering the kind of name Albert Pujols is.

jfleur87
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I was watching this on t.v. and was infuriated by the comments Colin had on the topic. His biggest argument was that (when comparing Votto to the likes of Gonzalez) he plays in a "hitters" ballpark whereas Gonzalez plays in a "pitchers" ballpark. This he said was the biggest reason Joey Votto wasn't a "star", backing up his point with the fact that Joey has hit 13 homeruns at home and 6 (at the time of airing, now 8 obviously) on the road.

Right away I thought this could be the case, but I wanted to take a look into how far the homeruns travel, and I immediately think it discredits Colin's point.

(As of the airing)
Votto - 408 feet
Pujols - 406 feet
Gonzalez - 393 feet

This I feel makes the whole home/away argument invalid. Just my $.02. I am done ranting.

HalMorrisRules
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Jay Mohr is doing the same thing today while filling in for Jim Rome. These guys have to disagree because then it stirs up the hive and gets a reaction. If they agreed, would anyone have started a thread about it? Take it with a grain of salt.

sabometrics
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Seems like whenever I watch/listen to Cowerd he'll take some ridiculous positions like this. I don't think it's him being a dunce, its more a factor of him taking a controversial standpoint to boost ratings/create more lively discussion. Either way I'm not really a fan of him (don't dislike him either) and this won't really change my opinion of him.

jmac
07-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Dont know about today but I heard yesterday's show and he was doin the ole " Who is Joey Votto" stuff. I listen to Cowherd alot on my job. The man is pretty smart in some areas of sports . Baseball and college basketball "arent" two of them. I bet he couldnt name you 2 NY Yankees starters not named A-Rod or Jeter. Basically I am saying
1: as other poster said....this is getting Joey tons of positive press
2: Cowherd doesnt know enough about baseball to get me riled up about it. :)

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Colin Cowherd is a jack.

redssince75
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Hopefully it turns out that Votto is the better all around player, but Howard is an Allstar. In addition to the HRs and RBIs, he is one of the most poplular players.

Huh? "Howard is an all star?" Wtf? Isn't that reverse circular logic? If Manuel picked Votto instead of Howard, could he justify it to Phillies fans by saying, "but Votto is an all star?"

Mr Larkin
07-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Don't like Cowherd - never have. Lots of volume, not much said.

Reds
07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I actually find myself drawn to Colin Cowherd, he seems like he doesn't filter his opinions, he just lays 'em out.

However, I think he makes way to make analogies and his opinions usually don't agree with mine.

bshall2105
07-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Cowherd is probably my favorite talk show guy on ESPN. It's nice to have the anti Mike and Mike. He doesn't tell people what they want to hear. He's kinda like the Nancy Grace of sports.

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
He's definitely like the Nancy Grace of Sports....all spin, no substance.

arkimadee
07-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't get up early enough to listen to mike and mike but i catch colin on espnu sometimes and typically enjoy his points of views as he does not filter stuff. i don't agree with him on Votto, but for someone who isn't around the area, I can see how he could have that point of view. We are all entitled to our opinion. The bottom line is that Votto is a topic and that is nothing but good for Votto.

redsfanmia
07-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I have heard Colin say on more than one occasion that he grew up a Reds fan.

bgwilly31
07-07-2010, 01:16 AM

he's popular because the phillies won the Ship.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 03:09 AM
I have heard Cowherd say on more than one occasion that he's butt-ugly and that because he works harder than most people he is able to make a lot of money and was therefore able to get a good-looking wife because of it.

urdun
07-07-2010, 04:05 AM
the guy is a clown can't stand him. i remember when he said he'd rather have mike vick than carson palmer, sure i'd like my qb to spend 2 years of his prime in prison too. :thumbdown

Vottomatic
07-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Stats as thru 7/6/10:

Votto:
Runs 4th
HR's 1st
RBI 5th
Walks 5th
Average 5th
OBP 1st
SLG 1st
OPS 1st

No other player in the NL is in the top 5 of those most important categories.

Pujols missed on runs scored and batting average.
Howard is in the top 5 of RBI and that's it.
Gonzalez is not in the top 5 of any of those categories.

Cowherd should do his homework.

Votto was one of four players in the major leagues last year to finish in the top 10 of batting average, OBP, SLG, and OPS. The other 3? A-Roid, Pujols, and Joe Mauer.

winks
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Cowherd is a joke. He's funny to listen to. And also he repeats himself a lot. That being said I have heard a lot of talk about Votto and its all great. The one thing I havent heard is the Redlegs will finish in Philly B4 the break Dont you think Votto will still have a chip on his mighty shoulder.

mlh1981
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Listening to his radio show at the moment. Here's the basic premise behind his argument:

--we feast on bad teams in a weak division
--we drew a laughable interleague schedule
--we can't beat the elite teams
--Votto's peers don't think he's great. It's just us Reds fans that do

I'll take the press, though. :beerme:

By the way, I take none of his sports opinions very seriously. if it's not happening in NYC or LA., then it doesn't matter to him.

He also says "quit rooting for the local team." :p::rolleyes:

GIDP
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
His name is very close to being translated as "fearful of anus"

TheBigLebowski
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Cowherd's opinions are about as valuable as Enron stock.

sivman17
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Cowherd is worse than Skip Bayless.. He always says the complete opposite of what everyone else believes

bounty37h
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Listening to his radio show at the moment. Here's the basic premise behind his argument:

By the way, I take none of his sports opinions very seriously. if it's not happening in NYC or LA., then it doesn't matter to him.

I am more amazed you listened to him long enough to catch that dribble, he is worthless.

Griffey012
08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Let everyone keep on saying those things. It's music to my ears, because we and other educated baseball fans know what is really going on with this team.

Dawg
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
How can anyone think Votto is not a great player?! He's been hitting the cover off the ball all season!

GIDP
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
He once said jacoby Ellsbury would win the MVP if he wasnt in the AL. He also said only good players end up in the AL.

mlh1981
08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I am more amazed you listened to him long enough to catch that dribble, he is worthless.

I don't listen to him much. Just happened to be bored, and it was the only thing on.

I just turned it off, actually. I can't stand this guy's ego and sense of self.

Why this crap passes as national talk radio, I'll never understand.

and if you ever come back at him with any sort of facts or real knowledge, I'm sure he would call you an "umemployed meatball who lives in his mom's basement," or something like that.

DocRed
08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
He and Skip Bayless are both angry sportstalk guys who like to be contrary just to be contrary.

mlh1981
08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
How can anyone think Votto is not a great player?! He's been hitting the cover off the ball all season!

He doesn't play in NYC or LA, so he doesn't matter.

sivman17
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Here are Daugherty's thoughts on this lunatic:

ESPN radio Head Colin Cowherd decided the Reds were “frauds.” Among the dumbest comments made lately by a national radio guy, and that’s saying a bit. Let’s try this:

By August, frauds are gasping. Take LA, for instance. The best thing about Baseball is 162 games. The Reds have played 118. They’re in 1st place. Apparently, it’s all an accident.

This is what happens when East Coast elitist w/West Coast upbringing encounters a team in Flyover Country. He does no homework, makes vast assumptions based on the most recent news (in this case, St. Looie’s 3-game sweep) and makes an ass of himself. Cowherd is good, you think, until he starts talking about teams with whom you are intimately familiar. Then the emperor’s wardrobe is fully revealed.

Of course, if the Reds win the division/make the playoffs, Cowherd will avoid the subject entirely. Just another radio goofball. The only national radio guy who is consistently smart is Dan Patrick. Patrick is also the best interviewer in the business. Unlike Cowherd, he does not posit himself as an expert on everything, and generally takes himself less than seriously. Plus, being from Dayton, Patrick can actually find Cincinnati without a GPS.

Jack Burton
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
What's surprising is that this nerd is still on the air.

DocRed
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Here are Daugherty's thoughts on this lunatic:

Who is Daugherty?

Z-Fly
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Like him or not, except for the Votto comment, his points are at least somewhat valid.

RedsRoll19
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I can't stand the guy either, it's the same as Bayless with the Bengals, you would think they came from the same womb, but who cares, media attention is good and hopefully can give us a little more fire power for the end of the season. Go Reds.....

Reds
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Now he's ripping the Jets and Reds. Doesn't believe in either in the playoffs.

mroby85
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Cowherd and Bayless just say things for shock value. I enjoy watching/listening to their shows just because I find them entertaining, but I don't think they even believe what they say half the time.

Krawhitham
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Strength of schedule
Reds .483
Cards .490

Relative Power Index
Reds .504
Cards .507

GIDP
08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
If it wasnt for the Reds the Cardinals wouldnt even be in the playoff race.

redsfan_12
08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
He and Skip Bayless are both angry sportstalk guys who like to be contrary just to be contrary.

Colin is nothing but a tool. I like SportsNation because of Michelle Beedle :D. Notice how he always does the similies and metaphors that are beyond stupid. He just talks because hes in love with himself. Its funny actually

Krawhitham
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
≥.500
Reds 21-28
Cards 31-24

<.500
Reds 46-23
Cards 31-19

bubbachunk
08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
He is a radio troll, very similar to an internet troll. Just stop feeding him by posting and giving him attention.

Krawhitham
08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Opponent
Split W L RS RA WP
ATL 2 3 24 24 .400
CHC 10 3 85 43 .769
CLE 4 2 35 24 .667
COL 2 1 11 4 .667
FLA 5 2 35 34 .714
HOU 7 2 56 26 .778
KCR 1 2 19 18 .333
LAD 3 3 34 47 .500
MIL 4 1 35 16 .800
NYM 4 2 23 21 .667
OAK 3 0 13 6 1.000
PHI 2 5 27 30 .286
PIT 8 5 65 35 .615
SDP 1 2 9 19 .333
SEA 0 3 1 7 .000
SFG 2 2 18 18 .500
STL 5 10 53 86 .333
WSN 4 3 33 33 .571

justincredible
Now he's ripping the Jets and Reds. Doesn't believe in either in the playoffs.

Dang, my two teams! I guess there is always next year. :)

GIDP
with out the head to heads

Reds are 62-41
Cardinals are 55-46

Cardinals should be happy they have won 10 of 15 against the Reds this year or they would be in big big trouble right now.

Reds
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Dang, my two teams! I guess there is always next year. :)

Yeah, Jets are my #2 football team (I only care about the Bengals and them). He's rubbing us the wrong way! lol

Moosie52
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I guess the Cubs must be an elite team, then, since they beat the Cards 4 out of 6 games in the last three weeks. :rolleyes:

Pony Boy
08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Why can't the Cardinals beat bad teams? Shouldnt a contender be able to take care of business against bad teams on a consistent basis?

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 12:51 PM
WHO IS COLIN COWTURD AND WHY SHOULD I CARE?

I've never listened to him, but by all acounts.....

Colin Cowturd = Andy Furman

Shock radio that bores the crud out of you. Yippee. :rolleyes:

Krawhitham
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
in 2006 when the Cards won the WS they were 5 games under .500 against ≥.500 teams
in 2008 when the Phillies won the WS they were 3 games under .500 against ≥.500 teams

redssince75
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
If it wasnt for the Reds the Cardinals wouldnt even be in the playoff race.

Ha, I like that one.

Colin Blowhard? Who cares?

foxfire123
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Who is he?

and why do we give a flying you-know-what about him? :)

DaytonDieHard
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
His wife cheated on him with a guy from Ohio. True story. I think he holds a grudge against the state.

Jim
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
The fact that an ESPN show even mentions the Cincinnati Reds (or any baseball team outside of the NY/Boston area) should be considered an enormous compliment! I stopped listening to ESPN Radio years ago when I couldn't handle any more Yankee updates. Glad to know the Reds are at least a blip on their radar!!

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
with out the head to heads

Reds are 62-41
Cardinals are 55-46

Cardinals should be happy they have won 10 of 15 against the Reds this year or they would be in big big trouble right now.

:beerme:

mckbearcat48
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
The fact that an ESPN show even mentions the Cincinnati Reds (or any baseball team outside of the NY/Boston area) should be considered an enormous compliment! I stopped listening to ESPN Radio years ago when I couldn't handle any more Yankee updates. Glad to know the Reds are at least a blip on their radar!!

There are baseball teams outside of NY/Boston? Who knew?

1990REDS
08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Later in the show kirk herbstreet called in to defend the Reds. i guess hes a big fan. Of course the second someone called colin out on his comments he backpeddled saying he thought they were a decent team just couldnt do anything in the playoffs without a #1 pitcher. A far cry from the "fraud" comments he made earlier in the show. Colin and Herbstreet actually talked about the reds on espn airwaves for like 5 minutes. It was wierd, 5 minutes of red talk and no sox or yankees.

Pony Boy
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Later in the show kirk herbstreet called in to defend the Reds. i guess hes a big fan. Of course the second someone called colin out on his comments he backpeddled saying he thought they were a decent team just couldnt do anything in the playoffs without a #1 pitcher. A far cry from the "fraud" comments he made earlier in the show. Colin and Herbstreet actually talked about the reds on espn airwaves for like 5 minutes. It was wierd, 5 minutes of red talk and no sox or yankees.

Herbstreit seems to go to a lot of Reds games. I have been to 5 games this year and I saw him there 3 of those 5 times. He was in the the Diamond seats each time.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Herbstreit seems to go to a lot of Reds games. I have been to 5 games this year and I saw him there 3 of those 5 times. He was in the the Diamond seats each time.

I think I heard on a FoxSportsOhio broadcast that Herbstreit is a huge Reds fan and has season tickets. They've shown him in the crowd several times.

I also think he and his wife came to a game on their anniversary........or so they were saying. And they were giving props to his wife because apparently she's a huge sports/Reds fan too. So.......he musta married a good one. :D

arkimadee
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I recall listening to Colin back in April when the Cards opened up like a 5 game lead in the division.. He said that you might as well right the Cards in as NL Central winners because it was over.. The Cards would never see second place again

bshall2105
08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Cowherd thinks the Orioles would be in the playoffs if they played in the NL.

Jones1
08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I was listening to his show monday and he said he met charlie sheen and obviously sheen is a big reds fan and cowturd said he was one growing up as well. So this means cowturd was a bandwagon fan the 70 reds were one of the most exciting to watch and they were incredible turd boy saw this great team and jumped on the wagon. now that they havent been much he probably jumped ship for the yankees! the guy is a ****** bag..

jmac
08-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I hear a few minutes of Cowherd most every day on my lunch at work. Ya cant let this guy bother you because while very knowledgeable on football, he doesnt know much at all about baseball. I doubt he could name you two starters on the Yankees not named Jeter or A-Rod. Better yet, I doubt if he could name you 2 starters on the TB Rays and that includes everyone. :D

Hey Meat
08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I would consider myself a fortunate man if I could find Colin Cowherd and Jim Gray in the same room at the same time. What an Idiot. I do not value anything said by him. He is a physical moron.

Hey Meat
08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Last year he was dogging streaks in baseball. He said that streaks in baseball were meaningless because they usually occur against the Pirates, Orioles and teams like the Royals. He knows as much about baseball as I know about Physics.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
YouTube - Pete Rose Jim Gray interview 1999 ALL CENTURY TEAM full clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4fmEbgKeh0)

Wrong time, wrong place, Jim.

As big a fool as Pete can be, and as guilty as he ended up being, it was completely out of line.

Redlegs_87
08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
This is a non subject. It is Cowherds job to stir the pot on his radio show. What he said has no bearing or real meaning to anything the Reds do this year.

mlh1981
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
YouTube - Pete Rose Jim Gray interview 1999 ALL CENTURY TEAM full clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4fmEbgKeh0)

Wrong time, wrong place, Jim.

As big a fool as Pete can be, and as guilty as he ended up being, it was completely out of line.

Jim Gray is an absolute punk and total weasel.

Hey Meat
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Sorry Guys. I didn't mean to dig in to old wounds. I just don't like little dweeby inathletic guys that dog on my boys.

xavr1
08-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Daughterty's response was dead on. Cowherd takes no time to research and just tries to appeal to the elitist east coast crowd. He ripped the Cavs right before the playoffs, too. No allegiance to Ohio whatsoever.

Road Pop
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Colin needs to get back to selling Sham Wow and Slap Chop.......

ThornWithin81
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Colin is entertaining on occasion if you consider him to be just that: Entertainment.

He really doesn't know much about his subject matter. If his opinion of the Reds' chances has a negative impact on your mindset, that's disappointing.

Señor Rojo
08-18-2010, 02:21 AM

Off topic, but when he interviewed LeBron James during "The Decision," he gave LeBron a bunch of softball questions in what was the most awkward interview I've ever seen.

Cowherd has some interesting points, but I don't see how picking at the Reds will give a huge boost to his ratings. The Reds aren't exactly a top level market. This could be one of his shticks that he'll stick to throughout the duration of the regular season.

webbbj
08-18-2010, 02:28 AM
love the reds but im here to defend colin. what in this OP is not true?

the reds do feast on bad teams in a weak division
the reds interleague schedule was weak
the reds do have a losing record against elite teams (i think this is an exaggeration by him b/c we can beat them if we get hot at the right time in the postseason, we just dont do it all the time)
i doubt that votto comment is true but the players did vote adrian gonzalez over votto for allstar voting so maybe they dont think as highly of him as others do.

and of course hes gonna talk about big cities and big superstar players b/c thats those cites are his target market and those players are just more interesting to a main stream audience.

he is a bandwagoner and he doesnt deny it. he is a guy who has lived in all areas of the US so there is no reason for him to have an allegiance.

he will flip flop on opionins when new information becomes available. we as sportsfans do it all the time. reds lose 3 to the cards the seasons over then they win 4 in a row now their going to the WS. he just does the same as most sportsfans who overreact to things that go on.
whats the big deal about changing opinions? if ur picking the bengals to win the division before the season are you gonna still stay w/ that prediction if they start off 0-4? no ur gonna flip on ur original pick.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Cow Herd continuously brags that working 100 hours per week for decades has earned him a boatload of money and gotten him a trophy wife because of it, because in his own words, "I'm too ugly to have any woman actually want to be with me without the money that comes with it."

Sounds like compensating to me. And, a nice insult to his wife.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 06:34 AM
he will flip flop on opionins when new information becomes available. we as sportsfans do it all the time. reds lose 3 to the cards the seasons over then they win 4 in a row now their going to the WS. he just does the same as most sportsfans who overreact to things that go on.

Wrong. He does the same as 8-year old sports fans act.

In reality he's putting on a show. The guy is from Las Vegas. He knows all about showmanship and blowhardiness. (I know that's not a word.) Apparently, ESPN thinks this has value. I don't understand it. I can't think of anyone who likes to listen to it, unless they just like hearing someone make stuff up and scream loudly about it. Sounds like a silly child to me.

He'd be banned from REDSZONE in 5 minutes.

Nice comments by Doc, by the way. The Sports Journalist fraternity is pretty small these days, so for Doc to say that has to mean that he can't stand the guy personally, as they have probably met several times, will meet again, and at times will have to work together to get an interview from one or the other. Doc apparently doesn't care. I like that.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 06:40 AM
When Cowherd isn't trying intentionally to be a jerk (which is exactly what he's trying to be since he's been doing this ESPN thing), he actually knows what he's talking about, usually. But, you never get to see that side of him with ESPN. It's purely a SHOW, designed to tick people off and get people to hate him. He knows he's making this stuff up all the time about his opinions on sports. I hate ESPN for turning him into this and thinking it's OK. I rarely watch ESPN since Disney bought them out several years ago. The quality of the Network has continually gone downhill ever since the purchase by Disney.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Now, that's a reporter that I purely hate. I'll change the channel (or mute) every time he appears on the screen.

Kingspoint
08-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I remember 1990 well.

I expected a sweep by the REDS (we had already a 5-game World Series Winning Streak going and we had the best pitcher in baseball in Jose Rijo, the best closers in The Nasty Boys, so we only played 6 inning games, and one of the brightest Stars in Baseball in Eric Davis, who proved that by setting the tone of the Series with a 1st-inning 2-run shot off of Dave Stewart.....Series Over.).

All National Media expected an easy Series win for the A's. It made no sense as we had the better Defense and the better pitching. In four games Rijo gets to pitch twice. That only leaves 12 innings for the non-Nasty Boys to come up with some decent pitching.

With outstanding series from Billy Hatcher and Chris Sabo and Eric Davis and Paul O'Neil and Barry Larkin and great game-calling by Joe Oliver, we stomped all over them.

This team is better, but without the ACE. It's possible still for them to win it all, though, as the entire team is the most resilient team to ever put on a REDS' uniform in the last 50 years.

There's something special here.

New York Red
08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Cowherd is worse than Skip Bayless.. He always says the complete opposite of what everyone else believes
Yep, that's what he does, exactly. He goes to extremes in order to draw listeners or viewers. And it usually works.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Bayless doesnt always take the cheap route. I think he takes some silly stances just to be silly but he tends to bring up a point.

That Cowherd guy just insults you and tries to bring up points that you cant disprove because they are based off his opinion or him "being in the know"

mlh1981
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd love to hear Marty Brenneman call up the program and just chew his ass out lol.

likemenow
08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
i hate cowherd with a passion he has such an ego and is impossible to listen to.
i agree marty going at him would crack me up

mlh1981
08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
i hate cowherd with a passion he has such an ego and is impossible to listen to.
i agree marty going at him would crack me up

Something similar to the rant he had against Cubs fans would be perfect.

Reds
08-19-2010, 11:29 AM
currently ripping the Reds again

Stray
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Haha, he has a poll going asking if the Reds are still a fraud

4% Yes
96% No

Carin4Narron
08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
People who gives a fig what Colin Cowherd thinks. You are reacting how he wants you to react. It's good ratings for him. Just turn the jerk off and don't worry about what he says!

Are the Reds and the rest of the Cincy sports teams the only source of happiness for you? You sound like it if you let some blow hard sports jerk get to you!

mlh1981
08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I missed it today, but I can imagine what he said.

"the state of Ohio sucks, blah, blah, blah. Yankees and Lakers rule, blah, blah, blah.

I have money and am on the radio, and you are not, so your opinion is stupid and worthless, blah, blah, blah."

Maker_84
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
what has he said today? i have him on now

Carin4Narron
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Again, why listen to him? Feel the need to be slapped in the face for no aparent reason?

likemenow
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Haha, he has a poll going asking if the Reds are still a fraud

4% Yes
96% No

hahahaha just shows how ignorant he really is

stripedwarrior
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
It's a show. Just like when that "Richard from Indian Hill" calls 700. It is all a show designed to get a reaction from people.
CC does it all the time during college football season with Buckeye fans. He knows that many of them will get upset, call in, write, and rile up other fans who will listen to see what he says.

DirtyBaker
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
If you don't like his opinions don't give him your ratings. Nothing will make him back off from his big market bias faster than losing viewers in the non-coastal states.

And if you really like to hear baseball commentary to tv, MLB network is the best thing out there.

reds_bengals1
08-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Doesn't Cowherd have some kind of vendetta against Cincinnati since he didn't get an on-air job at WLW? I don't remember for sure now but it seems to me it goes back a couple of years or so and maybe Jim Scott was talking about it on the air one morning.

Pony Boy
08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I caught a few minutes of his rant. His basic points:

-Any team that is under the radar is a fraud, because opponents don't get up for them. Therefore their wins are basically meaningless. Only the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Phillies etc. are not fraudulent because opponents try hard to beat them. The Reds and the Rangers are frauds because opponents don't try against them.

-Joey Votto is not a great player because he wasnt voted into the all-star game by his fellow players or by the manager. (failed to mention that the manager of the all star team passed on Votto in order to put one of his own players on the roster.)

-Ohio leads the nation in fraudulent teams. Cited the Bengals, Cavs, Bearcat football and Buckeyes.

Girevik
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
-Any team that is under the radar is a fraud, because opponents don't get up for them.

-Ohio leads the nation in fraudulent teams. Cited the Bengals, Cavs, Bearcat football and Buckeyes.

So he's saying that the Buckeyes fly under the radar and opposing teams don't get up for them? Kind of strange, since they are the biggest game of the year for virtually every team they play.

mlh1981
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Again, why listen to him? Feel the need to be slapped in the face for no aparent reason?

We need his expert opinion and insight, as it will determine how the rest of our season will go.

webbbj
08-19-2010, 02:34 PM
if the reds had to play the AL east then yes their probably frauds and be like the bluejays over there. but the reds are not frauds in the NL central or the NL period. he can call the reds frauds all day if it means their in the WS in october.

his points on other ohio teams are kinda well taken though. i mean i dont really know anyone from ohio knowledgeable about sports and unbiased who actually thought the cavs could win a title or the bercats beating florida, or the buckeyes beating the SEC.

but the reds are on a level playing field w/ the NL so im gonna have to disagree w/ him there.

Carin4Narron
08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
We need his expert opinion and insight, as it will determine how the rest of our season will go. Who says that ''we'' need his ''expert opinion and insight? I don't!

mlh1981
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Who says that ''we'' need his ''expert opinion and insight? I don't!

I was just joking.

FlyerFanatic
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
i dont care what cowherd says...i can see why others might. i mean hes a nationally broadcasted radio guy and having him dog your team isnt going to sit well with people. someone said it earlier, just gotta take him for an entertainer, hes not very informed so what he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

bshall2105
08-19-2010, 03:36 PM
He picked Ohio State to the national championship on Sportsnation like a week ago. He's very inconsistent between both his tv and radio shows.

LeDoux
08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I actually never heard of Colin Cowherd before this thread. I find keeping to just this forum (and its linked sites) and the actual games make following the sport much more enjoyable.

NorrisHopper30
08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Cowherd recently called Daugherty a "local hack".

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/08/17/the-morning-line-817/

Here we go, baby :D..all publicity is good publicity.

PS. Cowherd doesn't know what he's talking about..ever. He just knows how to get people wound up.

DocRed
08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Cowherd is just making himself look bad here....

NorrisHopper30
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't think he cares, he just wants more people talking about him and tuning into the show.

scott91575
08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
The funny thing is Cowherd has regularly admitted he is a hack and is not that knowledgeable. He has freely admitted it many times, especially when he is called out on how many times he is wrong.

All he does is take an extreme side on a debate without any knowledge and creates publicity for himself. He is one of the least knowledgeable figures in sports media, and has even said so himself on different occasions.

mivers176
08-20-2010, 07:05 PM
yeah, i actually enjoyed listening to him in the past but even before this, i started thinking to myself why was i even wasting my time. after this latest uneducated rant, i will not give him any more of my listening time.

Krawhitham
08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Cowherd recently called Daugherty a "local hack".

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/08/17/the-morning-line-817/

Here we go, baby :D..all publicity is good publicity.

PS. Cowherd doesn't know what he's talking about..ever. He just knows how to get people wound up.

Cowherd has nothing against the Reds, he just hates everything to do with Cincinnati since Chad Johnson aired Cowherd dirty laundry on twitter about his cheating wife

webbbj
08-20-2010, 11:53 PM
is he calling the reds frauds b/c he doesnt think they are a playoff team? if this is his argument hes wrong this team is playoff worthy. or is he calling them frauds b/c fans or whatever think this is a WS winner? if this is the case the reds are not favorites to go to the WS and are gonna be one of the weakest playoff teams.

and if hes calling the reds frauds hes being hypocrital b/c the cardinals are frauds aswell. i know he argued that they have atleast won a WS so they got credibility.

but then why isnt he calling out the padres or the giants or the braves, none of those teams have done anything recentl;y.

if anything the cardinals and philles are the frauds and the reds, braves, pads, and giants are the real playoff teams.

the guy is an elitist and has this obsession w/ TV ratings. its like he wont watch a reds vs padres playoff series but would be first in line to watch a yankees vs orioles game.

but if the reds dont make the playoffs ill admit i was wrong but i dont think thats gonna happen.

mlh1981
08-21-2010, 08:31 AM
It was incredibly refreshing to hear Doug Gottlieb yesterday.

jfleur87
08-21-2010, 08:43 AM
It was incredibly refreshing to hear Doug Gottlieb yesterday.

Can you enlighten those that aren't aware of what he said?

mlh1981
08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Can you enlighten those that aren't aware of what he said?

Hey, I live in Athens as well :beerme:

Just in general, it was nice having Gottlieb on instead of Cowherd. He didn't say anything about the Reds (not that I'm aware of).

Roger Clemens took up most of the headlines.

jfleur87
08-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Ah, yes, good ol Athens, I actually should probably change my location, I graduated last November, but my girlfriend is an excellent reason to return.

but indeed, :beerme:

Revering4Blue
08-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Cowherd may not be a believer, but, fwiw, both Erik Kuselias and Buster Olney both believe that the Reds will be in the playoffs, "no doubt about it" per ESPN radio Saturday (8/21) morning.

Olney cited the schedule, and lauded the Reds' starting pitching--the ability to overcome Cueto's suspension-- and bullpen depth as prime examples.

Let's hope that they are correct.

Newman4
08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Ah, yes, good ol Athens, I actually should probably change my location, I graduated last November, but my girlfriend is an excellent reason to return.

but indeed, :beerme:

OU Grads fellas? Class of '98 here.

CrosleyField
08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Did Cowherd even play middle school sports. He probably didn't even play YMCA basketball when he was a kid. His opinion means nothing. Just a ratings guy.

aubashbrother
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
He was at i again today bashing the Reds with Curt Schilling. Bashing Arroyo as our "Ace". Bashing the rest of the pitching staff. Bashing us being in the NL. Bashing us being in the weakest division in baseball. Saying Yankee fans are worried with their pitching staff even though they are so much better than us while we think we are so great. Dude just cant get enough

New York Red
08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
He's a west coast guy. The Reds 5-1 start on this crucial west coast trip must be killing him. No other reason for him to be trashing the Reds today - except ratings. He must be getting a lot of feedback from Reds supporters. Which is what he wants.

EddieMilner
08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I listened for about 10 minutes on my drive at lunch. To me it seemed that Cowherd stance (while I was listening) is that the Reds starting pitching isn't built for the playoffs. He put some stats out there about the Reds against good starters (he stated 9 straight loses to Carpenter, I'm not sure if that's right or now). He stated that we've been beating up on weaker teams and not fared well against tougher teams (losing record against the Cards, Braves, Padres, and Phillies).

While I believe the Reds will make the playoffs I sort of agree with the sentiment that the Cards and Phillies are better built for the playoffs with their pitching. Going against Halladay twice, Oswalt and Hamels in a five game series would be brutal. Same goes for the Cardinals with Carpenter and Wainwright.

He did keep on stating that Arroyo, Leake, and Harang aren't TOR guys which would make him seem rather off-base with Reds fans since Harang hasn't made a start for months. And he kept stating that Arroyo was a 4 or 5 guy with the Red Sox when they won the Series and he's the Reds Ace now - and not stating that he was rather young at the time.

My take on his opinion was that the Reds are built for the regular season and not the playoffs, and that Reds fans shouldn't pretend otherwise. I can't say he is that far off. Between Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, and Leake - there isn't a dominant TOR guy that you know you can throw out there and is unhittable. However, the playoffs are all about getting hot at the right time. And if the bats are clicking and Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey get hot. It could be an exciting October. On the same hand, if they start throwing duds out there, it could be a sad three game series if we draw the Phillies or Giants with their TOR guys.

Just my take.

Captain13
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Mr. Milner, you are correct in your take, but Colin is inflammatory and evil. Just because a team isn't built for the playoffs doesn't make them a fraud. The Reds have a solid team built around a deep rotation and great defense. If this team gets hot in October, they can beat anyone. The 1990 Reds only had one TOR guy (Rijo), and could not compete with the star-power of Ricky, Bic Mac and Canseco. But somehow those Reds not only won, but swept the A's. I am remaining optimistic about this team. Go Reds!

Boston Red
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Curt Schilling is a pompous jackass. So that show must have been entertaining.

PhatHead
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Just in general, it was nice having Gottlieb on instead of Cowherd. He didn't say anything about the Reds (not that I'm aware of).

Roger Clemens took up most of the headlines.

I live just outside of Athens and work at OU. ;)

mlh1981
08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Curt Schilling is a pompous jackass. So that show must have been entertaining.

It was kinda funny.

Before they started talking about Arroyo, they were discussing the little league world series. Cowherd has no problem with it being on TV, and Schilling was like "oh, I completely disagree."

He was basically saying that young kids aren't equipped to deal with the pressure of potential failure on such a large stage, which I agree with.

Colin was like......"uh yeah, you make a strong argument."

Boston Red
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I can't stand the LLWS on TV. Not because of Schilling's reasoning, but because of the way they cover it. They act like these kids are 6 years old and only interested in the snowcone after the game.

When I was 12, our Little League all-star team had double sessions (five hours a day), and when we finally lost in the District Finals, I was despondent for a week. I still remember each game pretty vividly. It sure as hell wasn't all lollipops and rainbows like ESPN's coverage makes it out to be. We wanted to win. Badly.