PDA

View Full Version : Micah Owings DFA

Rockermann
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
RHP Micah Owings today was designated for assignment to make room on 40-man roster for top pick C Yasmani Grandal, who signed 4-year deal

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds (http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds)

BurgervilleBuck
08-17-2010, 03:11 PM
It was only a matter of time for Owings but, geez, for Grandal? A guy with not much in professional experience?

Rockermann
08-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, Owings had certainly fallen out of favor, but still... not a great way to get kicked off the 40-man.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Not that surprised, but a little.

He won't be out of a job for long. Probably a good situation for Micah, honestly. He'll be starting at the major league level for someone in a few days.

lidspinner
08-17-2010, 03:16 PM
hard to understand how this organization favors Danny Rey over Micah....at least with Micah you could use his bat in a pinch. Sometimes I wish I could just simply ask this front office what is going on in their brains....I am sure they had good reason, they have gotten us this far so no sense in doubting them I guess.

thorn
08-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe Micah is due for arbitration or something where DRH is not? Just guessing, but I'm sure Money played some reason somehow.

JKam
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
hard to understand how this organization favors Danny Rey over Micah....at least with Micah you could use his bat in a pinch.

But he wasn't used that way. He wasn't getting pinch hitting at bats and he wasn't getting regular work out of the bullpen. If the manager has no use or confidence in you, it is hard to be useful.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe Micah is due for arbitration or something where DRH is not? Just guessing, but I'm sure Money played some reason somehow.

According to Cot's baseball contracts, Owings is eligible for arbitration in the offseason.

TheBigLebowski
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Wish it wasn't Owings. I think this is a mistake.

Mr Larkin
08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure its a mistake, but I like Owings. Thought he was a great addition, but he was not being played at all, so I hope he lands in a good place. There may be a contender who may claim him. Would the Cards have any interest? That would be ironic.

08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Personally, I think Owings was overrated, especially his bat. He could hit better than most pitchers, but his swing has a huge hole in it, and he steps in the bucket big time. Pitchers can exploit that, and it looks like they have this season.

As for his pitching, he threw kinda hard, but not nearly hard enough to overcome his straight fastball and lack of a decent off speed pitch. Plus, his control was spotty at best.

He had a great attitude and seemed like a good guy in the clubhouse, but that is only worth so much if you can't produce.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
There may be a contender who may claim him. Would the Cards have any interest? That would be ironic.

My thoughts exactly. Cardinals might grab him to replace Suppan. Wouldn't surprise me, if he makes it that far down the list of teams.

08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
My thoughts exactly. Cardinals might grab him to replace Suppan. Wouldn't surprise me, if he makes it that far down the list of teams.

He probably won't, and if he does, I would be fine with it. Owings is a below average starting pitcher. He may technically be better than Suppan, but he pretty much makes it difficult for your team win in every game he starts.

takealeake
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Do we still have the option to trade him? I imagine we should get something for him. I'm not sure exactly how a DFA trade works though.

Vottomatic
08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's what DFA (designated for assignment) in baseball terms:

Designated for assignment is a contractual term used in Major League Baseball. When a player is designated for assignment, he is immediately removed from the club's 40-man roster. This gives the club 10 days to decide what to do with the player while freeing up a roster spot for another transaction, if needed. After designating a player for assignment, the club must either: (a) return the player to the 40-man roster within 10 days from the date of designation, or (b) make one of the following contractual moves:

Place the player on waivers (which can only be done within the first 7 days of the 10-day period)
Trade the player
Release the player

-www.wikipedia.org

arkimadee
08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
The final remains of Adam Dunn in Cincinnati

Defacto
08-17-2010, 06:35 PM

I doubt it. They're going to use Suppan no matter what, but he won't be activated until September 1st off the DL. Lohse was awful Sunday, but Mozeliak and LaRussa won't let their starter who they spent $41 million on, pitch out of the bull pen.

Griffey012
08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Losing Owings off the 40 man is really no loss. He has shown nothing but the ability to hit a home run here and there during his stint with us. Right now he is probably our 10th or 11th starting pitcher and doesn't have much upside.

The fact we are DFA'ing Owings is a sign of how far the Reds have come, in past years they would be jumping all over a DFA'd Owings.

takealeake
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I still think he could be a 4 or 5 starter in the league, depending on which team it is. Heck, on some of our horrific rotation a few years ago, he would have been the 1 or 2 starter. Hopefully we can get something for him out of a trade, even if its just some career minor leaguer to help the Bats during their playoff run, since everyone is going to be called up in a few weeks anyway.

texasdave
08-17-2010, 09:22 PM
nm

Captain13
08-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I hear Walt is doing Micah a favor. Giving him a chance to "start over". I wish him the best, I always liked him.

krm1580
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I never liked the Ownings aquisition from day one. A guy with back of the rotation stuff and extreme flyball tendencies was never going to work here.

The sad truth of the matter is, a lot of the posts here are correct with their assesment that in the not too distant past he would be a valuable rotation cog which is probably more an assessment of how bad our pitching was than Ownings being good.

That being said he could be a serviceable guy in some of the big parks out west like Seattle or San Diego. Hopefully we can get something for him.

DocRed
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
There was some rumblings on a Cards board about them possible acquiring Micah, purely speculative though, wouldn't that be interesting though.

redssince75
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I always liked Micah. Hope he does well elsewhere.

Rockermann
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Same here. Great guy or so it seems. I hope it comes together elsewhere for him. But not when we're playing against him.

Sounds like he asked to be traded anyway when he was sent to the minors a few weeks ago. I don't think they were aggressively pursuing that option, but now that they were forced to bump him off the 40-man, I bet they try hard to get him traded for his sake as well as to get a least something for him.

likemenow
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM

unless it is in st louis. then he can fail and i wont feel bad at all. i will root for him to fail in that situation :D

Krawhitham
08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Here's what DFA (designated for assignment) in baseball terms:

Designated for assignment is a contractual term used in Major League Baseball. When a player is designated for assignment, he is immediately removed from the club's 40-man roster. This gives the club 10 days to decide what to do with the player while freeing up a roster spot for another transaction, if needed. After designating a player for assignment, the club must either: (a) return the player to the 40-man roster within 10 days from the date of designation, or (b) make one of the following contractual moves:

Place the player on waivers (which can only be done within the first 7 days of the 10-day period)
Trade the player
Release the player

-www.wikipedia.org

So they could let springer come of DL, cut him and place Owings back on 40 man roster if they want

Vottomatic
08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I hear Walt is doing Micah a favor. Giving him a chance to "start over". I wish him the best, I always liked him.

There's an article that says Micah asked to for a new beginning somewhere else. I don't blame him and I wish him well.

Vottomatic
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I never liked the Ownings aquisition from day one.

It's always hard to like a guy whose name you cannot spell. :D

GIDP
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
No one is apparently showing interest in Micah. I wonder if he should look at moving to catcher.

Hes got a strong body
He knows enough about calling a game and all that jazz
his bat would profile there most likely

Who knows but he should probably look at it.

1990REDS
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
No one is apparently showing interest in Micah. I wonder if he should look at moving to catcher.

Hes got a strong body
He knows enough about calling a game and all that jazz
his bat would profile there most likely

Who knows but he should probably look at it.

Does he have any prior experience? Seems like kinda a tough position to just be able to pick up and perform at a major league level. If not i was thinking more like left field as a possibility or third if he can field any.

GIDP
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Does he have any prior experience? Seems like kinda a tough position to just be able to pick up and perform at a major league level.

He isnt going to be a pitcher, and wont play well as an OFer. What I'm saying is why not try it. He already has the mental part of it, he would just need to learn the playing part of it.

1990REDS
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
He isnt going to be a pitcher, and wont play well as an OFer. What I'm saying is why not try it. He already has the mental part of it, he would just need to learn the playing part of it.

i guess if all else fails its worth a shot. I just know that i was a college catcher at a small NAIA college and have attened several catching camps through the school that were instructed by former pro catchers (minor league guys, not major leaguers) and i cant even express how freakishly good those guys are at blocking balls and how quick thier releases are. Its not really somthin you can just pick up and preform at that level during an offseason. But i guess if thats one of his only options i wish him well.

ThornWithin81
08-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm okay with this. Not that big of a loss IMO.

davereds24
08-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Owings is almost 30, learning how to be a catcher is not an option. Just because he knows about pitching doesn't mean he could learn the position easily. He'd be behind a great HS Catcher.

He'll get another shot as a starter, a park like Arizona would be good for him.

redsfanmia
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I dont know why the Reds just did not try him at short stop. His power bat would be a plus at that position.....;)