PDA

View Full Version : Schedule for rest of season:Reds-Cardinals

texasdave
08-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Cincinnati - The Reds stand at 20 games over .500 with a record of 72-52. They are an identical 36-26 both at home and on the road. 38 games remain. They have 19 home games as well as 19 road games left. The home schedule is much easier. Teams coming into GABP are playing at a .419 pace. Road opponents are much higher at .522. Combine the two and you get a pedestrian .470 winning percentage. The Reds have assured themselves of a winning August. They are 14-5 in the month so far. Going back to last season this is their sixth consecutive winning month.

OPP HOME AWAY
SFG 0 3
SDP 0 3
COL 0 4
STL 0 3
CHC 3 0
HOU 3 3
MIL 6 3
ARI 4 0
PIT 3 0

19 19

St. Louis - The Cardinals currently sport a record of 67-54. They are just two behind in the loss column. 41 games remain for the Redbirds. They have just 17 home games left while being on the road for 24 games. They have a much better home record (41-23) compared to their road record (26-31). St. Louis plays 17 of their next 20 games on the road, home only for 3 against the Reds. Basically it is a 20 game roadie. Overall record for their opponents is .462. This breaks down as follows, .495 at home and .438 on the road.

OPP HOME AWAY
FLA 0 1
HOU 0 3
MIL 0 3
CHC 3 3
WSN 0 4
ATL 0 4
PITT 3 6
CIN 3 0
SDP 4 0
COL 4 0

17 24

rolenmvp
08-23-2010, 07:37 AM
tonight's big series with san fran is going to be huge, and I think this weekend's series with chicago is going to be huge because st louis plays the pirates and nationals I believe. so we need to win and if we do, we will be in good shape.

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
St. Louis - The Cardinals currently sport a record of 67-54. They are just two behind in the loss column. 41 games remain for the Redbirds. They have just 17 home games left while being on the road for 24 games. They have a much better home record (41-23) compared to their road record (26-31). St. Louis plays 17 of their next 20 games on the road, home only for 3 against the Reds. Basically it is a 20 game roadie. Overall record for their opponents is .462. This breaks down as follows, .495 at home and .438 on the road.

While that's true that they have been much better at home than on the road, I tend not to focus on that. Their last road trip, they went 4-1 with a rain out. The last home stand, they went 3-5. Things change.

Pony Boy
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
The Cards have a convenient day off prior to the first game of the Reds series on 9/3. That means they will be able to skip Loshe and throw:

9/3-Wainright,
9/4-Westbrook
9/5- Carpenter

whereas without the day off they would likely have to throw:

9/3-Loshe
9/4-Wainright,
9/5- Westbrook

In other words, we are in trouble.

scott91575
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
The Cards have a convenient day off prior to the first game of the Reds series on 9/3. That means they will be able to skip Loshe and throw:

9/3-Wainright,
9/4-Westbrook
9/5- Carpenter

whereas without the day off they would likely have to throw:

9/3-Loshe
9/4-Wainright,
9/5- Westbrook

In other words, we are in trouble.

It would look the same with or without the day off. Without a day off it just means Lohse pitches against some other random team. If Lohse had been scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd game of the series then the day off would have mattered.

Zimmers
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Wow the Cards it seems catch the right time in the rotation everytime they face the Reds. (sarcastically) I am calling a conspiracy against the Reds and Colin Cowterd is behind it! ;)

Krawhitham
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
The Cards only have ONE day off the rest of the way, the day before the Reds series.

Sept 20th is now a makeup game with the fish for the Cards

The Reds have 4 days off

Captain13
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
The Cards only have ONE day off the rest of the way, the day before the Reds series.

The Reds have 4 days off

Days off in Sept seem overrated to me, with the expanded roster and all. I would think a team should be able to stay rested, and the bullpen shouldn't be an issue at all.

RedsFanInBama
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Days off in Sept seem overrated to me, with the expanded roster and all. I would think a team should be able to stay rested, and the bullpen shouldn't be an issue at all.

I don't see how the expanded roster makes a difference. Sure, you can rest guys. But do you really want AAA guys playing in a game that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not? The only area I can see it helping is mid-relief in the bullpen. And if you're having to use those guys a whole bunch, you're already in trouble.

scott91575
08-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Not being able to skip Lohse after the 2nd seems pretty big, especially since it looks like Penny is done for the year. Garcia is also running short of innings and they won't be able to skip him either.

texasdave
08-23-2010, 01:23 PM
While that's true that they have been much better at home than on the road, I tend not to focus on that. Their last road trip, they went 4-1 with a rain out. The last home stand, they went 3-5. Things change.

Things can change, but as a general rule teams play better at home than on the road. If the Cardinals had the option of switching things around and playing 24 at home and 17 on the road they would jump at that chance. Don't you agree?

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Things can change, but as a general rule teams play better at home than on the road. If the Cardinals had the option of switching things around and playing 24 at home and 17 on the road they would jump at that chance. Don't you agree?

Yes, I would, but what I'm saying is that I don't believed they are doomed based solely on the fact that they play the majority of their final games on the road.

Defacto
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

The Reds have 4 days off

The 20th isn't an official makeup day yet. It's a possibility, but as mentioned in another thread, the game could be played in St. Louis after the season is over if the Cardinals are tied with the Reds for first in the Central, tied with a team in the wildcard for first or if the Reds are a game behind the Cardinals. The Cardinals can chose when to make it up.

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Not necessarily. There is a union rule that a team cannot play 20 consecutive games without a day off. Therefore, the Cardinals can opt not to play on that date.

KOBasinger
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to our series in St. Louis. If we can sweep them and get some revenge, that would be great.

bshall2105
08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to our series in St. Louis. If we can sweep them and get some revenge, that would be great.

As long as we don't send out personal attacks this time we might have a chance.

Magdal
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
As long as we don't send out personal attacks this time we might have a chance.That was a disgusting gaff. The Cardinal stadium will be simply electric for that final series. And I would not be surprised to see LaRussa juggle the rotation to get those same 3 guys to start the games.

But it is gonna be a lot of fun to watch! Good stuff for the Reds to replace the worthless Cubbies as a REAL rival for St. Louis.... I can't wait!:beerme:

foxfire123
08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Anyone got an in with any Cincinnati morning radio shows? St Louis Psuedo Celebrity morning DJ Cornbread (on WIL 92.3) had someone put a voodoo curse on Brandon Phillips this morning. I think this calls for a little Morning Show showdown! :)

Swampturkey
08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
That was a disgusting gaff. The Cardinal stadium will be simply electric for that final series. And I would not be surprised to see LaRussa juggle the rotation to get those same 3 guys to start the games.

But it is gonna be a lot of fun to watch! Good stuff for the Reds to replace the worthless Cubbies as a REAL rival for St. Louis.... I can't wait!:beerme:

Going to be packed regardless. Huge rivalry college football at the Jones Dome a couple miles from Busch (always bring people to St. Louis), a battle off the bands right outside Busch Stadium, fireworks night, etc.

The next night is another big promotional day, Photo Day.