PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only Reds fan ...

New York Red
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
... who will be content if the Reds just make the playoffs this year, even if they don't advance once they get there?

It seems like all the talk is about what the Reds don't have or aren't doing, or weaknesses that will potentially hurt us in the playoffs. But for me, I'm just thrilled that we are where we are, with a division title almost locked up. With so many young players, and/or veteran players with little or no playoff chase or postseason experience, how could anyone expect more than what we've already gotten from this team or not be happy with what they've already accomplished?

I wasn't around here for preseason predictions, and if I had been I wouldn't have predicted a division title. But that's what we're on the verge of attaining. I know it's natural to discuss the negatives as well as the positives, but what ever happened to enjoying the ride? Especially when this is likely only the beginning of the ride. I see this as the start of a successful stretch for the Reds organization, with even better seasons on the horizon. I'm hoping, of course, for a World Series title this year, but I'll also be extremely happy with this season if we fall short of that.

CrosleyField
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Expectations change with success. I would be dissappointed if they made the playoffs and didn't win the world series, but in a couple of weeks you would have to call the season a success.

takealeake
09-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't say I'll be happy to lose, making the playoffs is a huge step, but I really don't want us to get our ass kicked once we get there. I wouldn't be too content about being swept 3-0 in the first round, especially with our record against teams with winning records lately. Overall it still would be more than anyone EVER expected, but now that we're here, I see no reason with good managing and players play to their potential, why we can't win the NL pennant.

For example, I'm not going to be happy if we lose because of our manager's bullheaded reliance on Francisco Cordero. We're seeing right now that he can't close games. A closer is supposed to be someone you goto to LOCK THE GAME DOWN. Not someone you cross your fingers and hope gets through the inning.

So yeah, if we lose we lose. I'm not going to be happy though if we lose on something everyone right now sees is an obvious bad decision and we trot Cordero out there and he costs us a playoff game. It's simply inexcusable to continue playing players who flat out haven't gotten it done ALL year and hope they can hold up.

DocRed
09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I've said all season long guarentee me the playoffs no matter how we do in them and I will take it. Just being in the playoffs win or lose is such a huge huge improvement over how we have done in the last decade.

A 6 or 7 game lead with 20 games to go is in no way a guarantee the way we are playing.

ThornWithin81
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
If we take the NLDS to five games and lose, I would be heartbroken but I could take that.

Getting there and getting pasted? No. It isn't like we snuck into this shot at the Division crown. We've been the best team for the absolute bulk of the year. We need to win a few games at minimum.

I'm a Columbus Blue Jackets fan. Two years ago the CBJ finally made the playoffs for the first time in their decade of existence. Everyone thought it was the start of something great. Detroit swept us in four games... always next year, right?

Wrong. Columbus finished near the bottom of the Conference the following year.

I expect a team that believes it can take it all the way.

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
If you would have told me that we would be 6-7 games up on the Cards in September at the beginning of the year I would have said your crazy. I am very happy with that this team is doing! I hope they can go all the way but will be happy with the fact we made it to the playoffs :) Personally I think this team will be even better in the years to come. Thats just my opinion though.

redsrolen
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
When I first saw this team last year the night before Scottie started here, not only did several players have bad attitudes, they were so pitiful, I can't really find the words. Chris and Tom had trouble calling the games, when you see players dogging plays non stop, you run out of words. They would say things like " you would think a guy would at least pretend to make an effort"
When Scottie started it gave the guys a spark! Like "oh thats how you win!"
Everything started to change, like a chain reaction! Everyone knows that Scott and Nikki are dear friends of my family, so for personal reasons, my dream is that Scottie would have one more World Series!!!!
However, sometimes I think I need to see this team more realistically. Yes I believe they have the talent, but it would require everyone to play their very best!!!! I feel we are one or two good starting pitchers away! When you look at World Series champions, they have great starting pitching.
I will continue to believe we can win, with my eyes wide open!!! I find that people who come on here and say horrific things about this team, must have their own personal issues! We all do our complaining, but I love this team.

GO REDS!!!!!!:luvu::redcap:

Vottomatic
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd love to win the World Series, but I'm realistic to know that we don't have the starting pitching to match up with the aces on other contending teams. But just get there and you never know what could happen. Eric Davis taking Dave Stewart deep comes to mind.

I just want to keep this team built for competing and going to the postseason for many a year. The more you get there, the better the chance you have of winning one.

skywalker
09-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I will take all I can get

BlastFurnace
09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
... who will be content if the Reds just make the playoffs this year, even if they don't advance once they get there?

It seems like all the talk is about what the Reds don't have or aren't doing, or weaknesses that will potentially hurt us in the playoffs. But for me, I'm just thrilled that we are where we are, with a division title almost locked up. With so many young players, and/or veteran players with little or no playoff chase or postseason experience, how could anyone expect more than what we've already gotten from this team or not be happy with what they've already accomplished?

I wasn't around here for preseason predictions, and if I had been I wouldn't have predicted a division title. But that's what we're on the verge of attaining. I know it's natural to discuss the negatives as well as the positives, but what ever happened to enjoying the ride? Especially when this is likely only the beginning of the ride. I see this as the start of a successful stretch for the Reds organization, with even better seasons on the horizon. I'm hoping, of course, for a World Series title this year, but I'll also be extremely happy with this season if we fall short of that.

Honestly, for the past 10 years, 82 wins was a miracle for this club in my book. Making the post-season is a huge step for the Reds. I hope they surprise this post-season, but considering how they have played against winning teams this year, I'm not sure what to expect.

Kingspoint
09-13-2010, 12:12 AM
I think they should advance against either San Diego or Atlanta, but not disappointed if they don't against Philly, San Fran, or Colorado.

webbbj
09-13-2010, 12:23 AM
id atleast like to see them lose game 7 of the NLCS

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Casual Reds fans I know, maybe those who don't follow the team as closely anymore, will always mention "the big red machine" or the 1990 team.

I'd like a championship team of my own that I can identify with. I appreciate the history, but I wasn't alive in the 70, and too young to remember 1990.

TheBigLebowski
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I thought the Bengals just making the playoffs last year would be enough for me but that loss to the Jets sat in my craw for a long, long time.

It should be enough for the fans of a team that has been losing for as long as the Reds have, but I am afraid a simple playoff appearance will not be for this fanbase. We lose in the first round of the playoffs and people around here will be tossing babies from balconies.

Jefferson24
09-13-2010, 09:43 AM
The Reds are not where they need to be to compete with the teams at the top of the league, given the way they are playing I will gladly take the playoffs and be content to watch them go out in short order. It will give them something to build on.

Jefferson24
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
considering how they have played against winning teams this year, I'm not sure what to expect.

I know exactly what to expect, hopefully they will surprise me.

Caveman Techie
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I will be quite happy if the Reds just make the playoffs. However I also don't want to see them get embarrassed by getting swept in the first round. If they are just competitive in the playoffs I will be very happy.

bounty37h
09-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I would certainly be dissapointed to not win it all-as any fan of any team is every year. However, I would also be pleased with our progress, where we have been, and where we are now. Once you get there, you never know what can happen.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
The playoffs are beyond almost everyone's preseason projections. If we make the playoffs, I will look back and be very happy with our season, but I will be very dissappointed the day we lose (if we lose).

will5979
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I would certainly be dissapointed to not win it all-as any fan of any team is every year. However, I would also be pleased with our progress, where we have been, and where we are now. Once you get there, you never know what can happen.

Let try and look at it from this perspective...if the Reds are cold right now and get hot going into the post-season, say May or August hot, whos to say they can't win the pennant?

SidneySlicker
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll be satisfied making the playoffs, because I know this is a work in progress. They are going to have troubles competing with the top teams in the league until they have a dominant #1 starter. Question is do they wait until Chapman is ready (assuming he ever is) or do they go out and try and trade for one? Not sure yet if I think Wood has that kind of potential yet or not (sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't), and I think Leake will be a very good 3 to a good 2. I see bailey as a very good 3 to a good 2.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 01:00 PM
If they stay healthy, I don't see why Chapman, Volquez, Cueto, and two out of Wood, Leake and Bailey wouldn't be the best rotation in baseball in 2 years. The "future's so bright, I gotta wear shades." :D

GIDP
09-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I think its a crapshoot to some extent. I wont be upset if they dont win a series. If this was a 3rd or 4th year in the playoffs I probably would be.

I will be upset or annoyed if they get swept.

SidneySlicker
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I think its a crapshoot to some extent. I wont be upset if they dont win a series. If this was a 3rd or 4th year in the playoffs I probably would be.

I will be upset or annoyed if they get swept.

This

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I thought the Bengals just making the playoffs last year would be enough for me but that loss to the Jets sat in my craw for a long, long time.

It should be enough for the fans of a team that has been losing for as long as the Reds have, but I am afraid a simple playoff appearance will not be for this fanbase. We lose in the first round of the playoffs and people around here will be tossing babies from balconies.

I was pissed about the Steelers loss in the playoffs moreso than the Jets loss.

Against the NYJ, we flat out lost to a better team. Against the Steelers, we were robbed.

But I hear that you are saying. When you are bad, you want to be good, and when you are good, you want to be better.

New York Red
09-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Against the NYJ, we flat out lost to a better team. Against the Steelers, we were robbed.

But I hear that you are saying. When you are bad, you want to be good, and when you are good, you want to be better.
I agree with every word. You are wise beyond your years. :thumbup:

BlastFurnace
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Give me a break. You weren't robbed against the Steelers. They were the better team. The Bengals always have been and always will be soft. The Steelers are also far and away the better franchise. 6 Rings don't lie.

It's the same argument for anyone who wants to even mention Carson Palmer in the same sentence with Ben. Ben is better and is a winner. Carson is not a winner.

Captain13
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Give me a break. You weren't robbed against the Steelers. They were the better team. The Bengals always have been and always will be soft. The Steelers are also far and away the better franchise. 6 Rings don't lie.

It's the same argument for anyone who wants to even mention Carson Palmer in the same sentence with Ben. Ben is better and is a winner. Carson is not a winner.

We're not arguing franchises here, one team, one season. That team was better than the Steelers, and it was heartbreaking to lose the way we did. I won't say "robbed", but definitely heartbreaking.

TheBigLebowski
09-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Ben is not better. He is, however, an idiot and a womanizer.

bounty37h
09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Let try and look at it from this perspective...if the Reds are cold right now and get hot going into the post-season, say May or August hot, whos to say they can't win the pennant?

Oh, I agree Will, thats what I was saying (or trying to say), lets just get there and let the magic take over!!!

bounty37h
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM

So, the Bengals ARE interested in him when his contracts up then? ;)

New York Red
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Give me a break. You weren't robbed against the Steelers. They were the better team.
That's not true. The Bengals had just spanked the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) a month earlier.

Ben is more mobile, has had better talent around him, and hasn't had any serious injuries. But he isn't a "better" QB than Carson Palmer.

And to get back on track ... as the Reds get closer to wrapping up the division, I just want to say I'll be as upset as anyone when/if we lose in the postseason. But looking at the big picture - and realistic expectations - I see us in the underdog role in this year's playoffs, with bigger and better things to come for the Reds organization. The main reason I'll be satisfied with just making the playoffs this year, is because I know this isn't just a one-year success story. This is just the start.

BlastFurnace
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
That's not true. The Bengals had just spanked the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) a month earlier.

Ben is more mobile, has had better talent around him, and hasn't had any serious injuries. But he isn't a "better" QB than Carson Palmer.

And to get back on track ... as the Reds get closer to wrapping up the division, I just want to say I'll be as upset as anyone when/if we lose in the postseason. But looking at the big picture - and realistic expectations - I see us in the underdog role in this year's playoffs, with bigger and better things to come for the Reds organization. The main reason I'll be satisfied with just making the playoffs this year, is because I know this isn't just a one-year success story. This is just the start.

The Bengals and Steelers split the series in 2005. The Bengals...in no way shape or form...were clearly the better team. The Steelers victory in Cincinnati was far more convincing than the Bengals victory in Pittsburgh. There is no guarantee that if Carson had not got hurt that the Bengals would have won.

Carson Palmer has had good talent around him, but hasn't always delivered. Part of being a great QB is taking the talent around you and making it better...which Ben does....and Carson has not always done.

BlastFurnace
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Yes...he is a better QB. If Ben had been your QB last year, you would have never lost to the Jets last year in the playoffs. Carson is soft. Put a decent pass rush on him or one solid hit and he's dead meat. Ben thrives on that.

BlastFurnace
09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
We're not arguing franchises here, one team, one season. That team was better than the Steelers, and it was heartbreaking to lose the way we did. I won't say "robbed", but definitely heartbreaking.

Ok...one team...one season. The Bengals and Steelers split the series that year and you're saying that the Bengals were clearly better? You can't prove that. I can see why you can say it was heartbreaking because of Carson's injury, but that's about as far as you can take that.

The Steelers beat Indy and Denver in opposing cities in the playoffs. It's not as if they were a weak team that year. They were one of the strongest teams in the entire NFL.

New York Red
09-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes...he is a better QB. If Ben had been your QB last year, you would have never lost to the Jets last year in the playoffs. Carson is soft. Put a decent pass rush on him or one solid hit and he's dead meat. Ben thrives on that.
Carson played most of last year with one hand.

BlastFurnace
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Carson played most of last year with one hand.

Ben won the Super Bowl with a torn ligament in the thumb of this throwing hand. Notice...the word "won". That's the difference between Ben and Carson...not to mention 2 rings.