PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 = Huge

mivers176
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I know all the 'experts' and baseball people arent giving the Reds much of a shot, if any. However, I like going into a series being the dog, imagine the pressure we'll put on Philly if we can get to Halladay and take game 1 from them at their place!?

I just like the idea of going in, relaxed and nobody expecting you to win - if we can pull out game 1, the Phils will be pressing and I would much rather face Oswalt with a 1-0 series lead where maybe he'll feel even MORE pressure since they brought him there basically to 'lock' up their WS berth for the year.

Granted their roster and staff across the board is better (and for $141 mil vs our $72 mil) but we just need to go in and play solid d and get some clutch hits like we did the 1st half of the year.

Well, gotta make my time off request from work on Wednesday so I can get home in time to catch the first pitch, it should be fun and hopefully we can steal a couple wins from the pHillies! ;)

Cincy10
10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I know all the 'experts' and baseball people arent giving the Reds much of a shot, if any. However, I like going into a series being the dog, imagine the pressure we'll put on Philly if we can get to Halladay and take game 1 from them at their place!?

I just like the idea of going in, relaxed and nobody expecting you to win - if we can pull out game 1, the Phils will be pressing and I would much rather face Oswalt with a 1-0 series lead where maybe he'll feel even MORE pressure since they brought him there basically to 'lock' up their WS berth for the year.

Granted their roster and staff across the board is better (and for $141 mil vs our $72 mil) but we just need to go in and play solid d and get some clutch hits like we did the 1st half of the year.

Well, gotta make my time off request from work on Wednesday so I can get home in time to catch the first pitch, it should be fun and hopefully we can steal a couple wins from the pHillies! ;)

yep.....

Natty Redlocks
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I hate to say it, but Halladay's been waiting his entire career for a chance to start in the postseason. I seriously doubt he's gonna screw it up.

mr. red
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I hate to say it, but Halladay's been waiting his entire career for a chance to start in the postseason. I seriously doubt he's gonna screw it up.

I see the argument, but think about motivated our young guys are to go out there and put the critics to rest. If we can go out there and play small ball and not give up the long ball with runners on, then we can take this game. I hope to see EV match Halladay and I can see the Reds manufacturing two runs late and winning a 2-1 or 3-2 type game.

I have been saying that I think the Reds will take the series in 4 games. I think that we beat Halladay in game 1 and lose game 2. Playing at home in game 3, Cueto comes up big and Wood will seal the deal in game 4. We have a walk off hit of some sort in the bottom of the 9th in game 4 to send us to the NLCS.

That's my form of wishful thinking...!

Girevik
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Or maybe he's been waiting so long for it that he goes in trying to over throw everything and his control is off. It can cut both ways.

mlh1981
10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Halladay is gonna be fine, but I think Volquez can match him pitch-for-pitch.

Krawhitham
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
It is a mistake not have Wood pitching in the series, You need a left hander against this team

This team is batting .280 VS Halladay, if the good Volquez shows up they should be fine. But if the extra rest screws with Volquez this series is over. The Phillies bat .305 VS Arroyo

BurgervilleBuck
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
It is a mistake not have Wood pitching in the series, You need a left hander against this team
He tends to peter out in later innings. But he'll be in the bullpen, at least.

Maker_84
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
i really believe if any team is gonna beat the Phillies in the NL, its gonna be us

mivers176
10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
i really believe if any team is gonna beat the Phillies in the NL, its gonna be us

Lets hope so. I think if we can get the clutch hits when we get the opportunities we HAVE to cash in. We cant keep getting double digit LOB #'s like we have towards the end of the season, seems like every game it was close or more than 10 LOB per game and that cant happen.

We need the pre all star break Gomes, the post all star game Bruce & we'll be good! :)

ThornWithin81
10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't see us touching Halladay in Philadelphia.

That would be a shocker for me. I expect Cincy to be 1-1 at best heading back to GABP, which I would take in a heartbeat. Win one and put yourself in position to end it at home. Can't ask for more as the underdog.

redssince75
10-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I know all the 'experts' and baseball people arent giving the Reds much of a shot,

Is this 1990 and you are referring to the Oakland A's?

You simply never know in the playoffs.

smixsell
10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
This series is a toss up. The Reds could get blown way, but so could the Phillies. With the number of young players and pitchers we rely on, it's next to impossible to predict how they will handle the moment. Don't forget even veteran players frequently lay an egg in postseason baseball. If most our guys are the right mix of "pumped up but loose" then I thnk we will beat the Phils. If our boys are too uptight then it will be a short series.

One trait that I noticed in the team this year which bodes well for a possible suprise Championship run is that the Reds have a lot of true competitors, and have a knack for playing their best ball in the latter games of series. I think this is due to the fact they dislike losing so much that their concentration and intensity rises after a loss, especially if they're playing the same team which beat them. If I am right, and I usually am <smile>, then this trait should serve them well in a 5 game or 7 game series. :o)

Maker_84
10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
another thing ppl keep forgetting is that as a team this past week we have played very well with Phillips and especially bruce getting back on track. Our SP also hasn't given up more than an avg of 3 runs either

Fullboat
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
In 1990 in the LCS the Reds lost the first game at home to the Pirates on an error by Eric
Davis of all people. just saying

WorldFnChamps08
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM

LOL.

MeltyRocks
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Reds 43-18 v HOU, CHC, PIT and MIL.
48-53 against everyone else.

WorldFnChamps08
10-05-2010, 11:07 AM
That's some stiff competition right there.