PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 2001 Seattle Mariners?

George Foster
10-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Ah...the 2001 Mariners. They finished 116-46. This is not a mis-type. That is 70 games over freakin' .500!!! They were 33 games over .500 at home and 37 games over .500 on the road. This is the most wins in the regular season since the season was expanded to 162 games. They tied the 1906 Cubs that went 116-36.

Did the Mariners make it to the World Series?? No..Beat in 5 games to the Yankees.

Regular season records mean nothing. Both teams are 0-0. Our Redlegs are in a good position, and playing the team they need to play in a 5 game series. Baseball is a game of streaks, and it is time for the Phillies winning streak over the past 3 weeks to come to a hault. The Reds have been treading water for the last couple of weeks with injuries, and it's time for them to start a winning streak.

Go Reds...:thumbup:

webbbj
10-05-2010, 01:55 AM
that mariner team was really quite amazing. IDK but that had to just be a perfect storm of success. but really that team had like maybe 2 HOF players: ichiro and edgar martinez

that yankees team was loaded w/ perrennial all stars and future HOFers: clemens, mussina, pettite, rivera, jeter, posada, bernie williams, david justice, soriano (40/40 soriano)

the phillies are loaded w/ potential HOF type players or perrennial allstars: halladay, oswalt, rollins, howard, utley

liminal
10-05-2010, 02:08 AM
I like threads like this. I'll admit, I'm fully expecting the Phillies to win in 4 (if not 3). BUT, the Reds fan in me is saying "never say die," and threads like this help me stay a little excited for the post-season.

Realistically, we don't have much of a chance. But I'll still be rooting for the Braves out West so that, if we do surprise just about everyone with a series win, our Reds will have homefield for the NLCS.

A lot of longshots, I know. But the Reds weren't even in the playoff conversation back in April. They were a longshot to get this far...so why not keep pushing?