PDA

View Full Version : What this NLDS game today should prove to Walt an FO

fewfirstchoice
10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
That the Reds need a true #1 ace type pitcher to compete for a World Series title. They have proven they can get to the playoffs wit what they have. 5 #3 caliber starters in there rotation. But the Phillies are proving to them right now that in order to wn championships you need a ace. That has to be the Reds #1 priority this off season. Put Cliff Lee on this Reds team an look out. Probably wont happen but in order to win WS titles that has to happen.

Also Phillips has to be dropped in the order,he is not a leadoff hitter at all.

FlyerFanatic
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
bump the payroll to 140 mill, might have a shot. 1 true ace wont help this series. the phillies have 3 of them.

Vottomatic
10-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep, right now, the money is winning.

scott91575
10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
The Reds could have Don Larsen from the 1956 WS on the mound, and it would be tied.

fewfirstchoice
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
nah you could bump the payroll to bout 85 mil. an get a ace but we know thats not going to happen. Hamels an Oswalt are very solid #2s believe Roy once was a ace but not now.

webbbj
10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
their hoping theres a cuban in the pen that will emerge as that guy. volquez pitches like an allstar again. if that doesnt happen i think the plan will be to have these guys be good enough to get us to the playoffs which they were and make a trade deadline trade for a big time ace who can finish off the season for us.

defender
10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
The Reds could have Don Larsen from the 1956 WS on the mound, and it would be tied.

This is what I was thinking. Luckily it was only one game.

Maker_84
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
they also need 3 more hitters that hit for a good average and not ones that strike out all the time. we're a ways away

BAKER12
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Greinke is going to be shopped by the Royals. He is a perfect NL guy, great athlete and can handle the bat.

mlh1981
10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
We have that guy in Aroldis Chapman, and I hope we don't make the mistake of keeping him in the bullpen.

Oxblood
10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Get rid of phillips (valaika), get rid of ocab (janish), get rid of gomer (heisey/alonso), get rid of cordero (anyone).

Rotation for next season
Chapman
Wood
Leake
Bailey
Arroyo

Possibly have EV start the season in the rotation, get his stock up and move him. Same w/ cueto, can't trust him. Harang's finished as well.

Bring in Sweet Lou & rescind Dusty's extension due to stupidity.

Salutations.

bshall2105
10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Get rid of phillips (valaika), get rid of ocab (janish), get rid of gomer (heisey/alonso), get rid of cordero (anyone).

Rotation for next season
Chapman
Wood
Leake
Bailey
Arroyo

Possibly have EV start the season in the rotation, get his stock up and move him. Same w/ cueto, can't trust him. Harang's finished as well.

Salutations.

How can you trust Leake, Bailey, and Chapman who hasn't started in the bigs before and then say you can't trust Cueto. He was the best pitcher we had in the regular season and you want to get rid of him. That doesn't make sense at all.

Krawhitham
10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
That the Reds need a true #1 ace type pitcher to compete for a World Series title. They have proven they can get to the playoffs wit what they have. 5 #3 caliber starters in there rotation. But the Phillies are proving to them right now that in order to wn championships you need a ace. That has to be the Reds #1 priority this off season. Put Cliff Lee on this Reds team an look out. Probably wont happen but in order to win WS titles that has to happen.

Also Phillips has to be dropped in the order,he is not a leadoff hitter at all.

The problem is the FO and many fans believe Volquez is a true #1 ace. Just because you traded an MVP away for him does not make him an ace. He had 3 great months in his whole career THAT IS IT

Who on this team is a leadoff hitter? Phillips has a better OBP than Stubbs

gedred69
10-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Rotation for next season
Chapman
Wood
Leake
Bailey
Arroyo

Salutations.
Dump the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball, who it should be pointed out is NOT a lead-off guy, but does it because there are no other options. Expect a simply solid utility guy to be your SS. Heisey (another utility guy), or Alonso strictly a 1B to play LF? The only sense of this is somehow a LF needs located who can lead-off, or a SS to do same instead. Carl C? Hanley R?

Oxblood
10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Dump the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball, who it should be pointed out is NOT a lead-off guy, but does it because there are no other options. Expect a simply solid utility guy to be your SS. Heisey (another utility guy), or Alonso strictly a 1B to play LF?

Yes.

And get a manager in here who is not completely brain dead and we run away with the division next season. I could see us building a very stellar, near dynasty system. Sort of like the Twinkies of the NL.

New York Red
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
We have that guy in Aroldis Chapman, and I hope we don't make the mistake of keeping him in the bullpen.
It's way, way too soon to talk about Chapman being a Roy Halladay-type pitcher. I hope he becomes that kind of pitcher, but we can't expect that. I hope the Reds FO brings in a proven ace before the 2011 season starts, and we allow Chapman to grow into the role of our next ace.

Girevik
10-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't think Chapman starts the season in the Reds rotation. I think he'll need some time in the minors to stretch out the arm and get confident starting again.

I also think both Volquez and Cueto are solid #2 type guys with the potential to become aces. I think giving up on them now would be a mistake.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 10:47 AM
That the Reds need a true #1 ace type pitcher to compete for a World Series title.

If you look at Walts track record, he will not spend the money on a proven ace. ...that being said, he is IMHO the best GM in the game.