PDA

View Full Version : We will win game 2

Votto4MVP
10-06-2010, 11:20 PM
We will win game 2. That is all.

New York Red
10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree. I thought we'd lose any game in this series pitched by Halladay - because he's been hot lately, he's the best pitcher in the game, and he's likely to be even more fired up because he's pitching in the post-season for the first time in his 13-year career. But it's a different series beginning with Game Two. We owned Oswalt this year, and I think we will beat him again Friday night.

That is all. :beerme:

webbbj
10-07-2010, 12:43 AM
i would say game 2 and 3 are must wins.

New York Red
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
i would say game 2 and 3 are must wins.
Haha ... yep. :thumbup:

George Foster
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Honestly I just want a hit in the 1st inning.

Maker_84
10-07-2010, 12:54 AM

if we dont, get the brooms out

R_Webb18
10-07-2010, 01:06 AM
if we dont, get the brooms out

i agree i think the only way we win 3 in a row is 234 not 345

UPRedsFan
10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Bronson will take it to em Friday. The Phils bats are not actually on fire right now. Wood, Ondrusek and Bray shut em down for 6+ with I think only 1 or 2 hits. I think we're going to see a 2-1 or 3-2 game Friday. Would love to see Bronson and the pen shut em out though to swing the momentum back our way.

mivers176
10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Bronson will take it to em Friday. The Phils bats are not actually on fire right now. Wood, Ondrusek and Bray shut em down for 6+ with I think only 1 or 2 hits. I think we're going to see a 2-1 or 3-2 game Friday. Would love to see Bronson and the pen shut em out though to swing the momentum back our way.

yeah i was thinking last night the only bright spot was the bullpen pitched well and kept us within striking distance...gotta like that.

we all know Bronson could dominate or BE dominated, i just hope dusty has a quick hook and isnt afraid to go to the bullpen early if we get down by 3-4...

will5979
10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Agreed, Oswalt is ours come Friday.

If we win Friday I almost guarantee we win on Sunday. But then Halladay goes on Monday.

My realistic prediction is that we win games 2 & 3, and lose games 4 & 5. But you know what, if it is meant for us to lose in this postseason I would be perfectly fine with that because that could make for a classic opening series. I'll also tell you this much, if Philly disposes of us I'll be cheering for them to win it all so we can at least say we lost to the Worlds Champions.

brm7675
10-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Well since you know that, do you by chance have Sat. power ball winning numbers?;)

brm7675
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I am really surprised at how much people are undervalueing the Phils.

mr. red
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
When we get to game 4, I would not start EV. I would definitely go with Wood...hopefully we are in a position to clinch in game 4..but that's me being entirely too optimistic.

Votto4MVP
10-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Its not about undervalueing the Phillies, its about being confident in your team. whats the point of going into the game, oh the phillies are amazing we have no chance blah blah blah. I support my team 100% and whether its foolish or not I believe we will win.

Votto4MVP
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

If you are happy going into the game with no hope just so if we lose you can be like "well at least i wasnt expecting a win" thats fine, its a ****ty attitude though.

Id much rather have faith in my team and think we are going to win and be let down, then think we are going to lose and be right.

ThornWithin81
10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
This series will not go five games and the Reds will not win it.

They aren't ready to be here. The Phillies have made the Series two straight times. That's a bad combination.

Phillies in four - Doc puts the final nail in the Big Red Coffin. It's a great year regardless.

will5979
10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
This series will not go five games and the Reds will not win it.

They aren't ready to be here. The Phillies have made the Series two straight times. That's a bad combination.

Phillies in four - Doc puts the final nail in the Big Red Coffin. It's a great year regardless.

We win one game, I'll be satisfied with the season.
We win 2 games, I'll be extremely satisfied.
We win 3 games I'm calling into work the next day because there will be no way I will be able to get out of bed.

brm7675
10-07-2010, 01:15 PM
If you are happy going into the game with no hope just so if we lose you can be like "well at least i wasnt expecting a win" thats fine, its a ****ty attitude though.

Id much rather have faith in my team and think we are going to win and be let down, then think we are going to lose and be right.

I look at it as being realistic. The Reds are a good team, but right now we are not on the level of the Phillies. I hope we do well and all, but i can also evaluate over team talent and also understand the role experience plays when you get to this point.

aldotcs
10-07-2010, 01:17 PM

I agree. There's no point in being a fan if you are going to expect to be let down. If we lose, we lose it happens to 4 teams in the Division series anyway. But I'm going to root like anything for them to win down to the last out.

New York Red
10-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I look at it as being realistic. The Reds are a good team, but right now we are not on the level of the Phillies. I hope we do well and all, but i can also evaluate over team talent and also understand the role experience plays when you get to this point.
That is a realistic and honest take on this series. The fact is the Reds came into the postseason not playing well. They were just an average team in September and they need to crank it up a couple notches or they won't even win a game in this series.

I'm assuming (hoping) yesterday's game was a fluke and we'll see the real Reds team (the team we saw pre-September) beginning tomorrow night. The Phillies are much more beatable when Halladay isn't pitching, so we have three chances to beat them. I think we win tomorrow night and head back to Cincy with home field advantage the rest of the series.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
That is a realistic and honest take on this series. The fact is the Reds came into the postseason not playing well. They were just an average team in September and they need to crank it up a couple notches or they won't even win a game in this series.

I'm assuming (hoping) yesterday's game was a fluke and we'll see the real Reds team (the team we saw pre-September) beginning tomorrow night. The Phillies are much more beatable when Halladay isn't pitching, so we have three chances to beat them. I think we win tomorrow night and head back to Cincy with home field advantage the rest of the series.

If we're going to be honest at the real reasons of what is wrong then you have to look no further than the payroll for the two teams. I hope the Reds can pull it off but the deck is always stacked against a team with a 70 mil dollar payroll.

Jr's Boy
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
285,Phillie's average versus Bronson.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 02:44 PM

What year? I dont think hes faced them this year.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
If we're going to be honest at the real reasons of what is wrong then you have to look no further than the payroll for the two teams. I hope the Reds can pull it off but the deck is always stacked against a team with a 70 mil dollar payroll.

Welcome to the playoffs.... assuming we will return, we better get accustom to playing Philly ($141,927,381) Boston ($162,747,333) or NYY ($206,333,389).

But if Texas can win at $55,641,500.. Cinci can at 72M.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the playoffs.... assuming we will return, we better get accustom to playing Philly ($141,927,381) Boston ($162,747,333) or NYY ($206,333,389).

You may be able to win one season, but we'll never have a team that can stay competitive for 5 or 6 seasons. We can't afford it. I'm about done with baseball, I don't watch unless the Reds are on and until a salary cap is added to the game it's going to be so boring watching these big markets compete for a worthless title year in and year out.

It is exciting when a young team pops up and competes (which does happen) but it's dumb that teams like Cleveland can't keep their great pitchers or the Reds have to trade their best outfielder in hopes of getting some pitching. The big markets don't have to do that.

That's why the games are on TBS and everybody is talking about football.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:04 PM
You may be able to win one season, but we'll never have a team that can stay competitive for 5 or 6 seasons. We can't afford it.

Well Mr Jocketty has been know to work some magic in smaller markets.

brm7675
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Cliff Lee

brm7675
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
You may be able to win one season, but we'll never have a team that can stay competitive for 5 or 6 seasons. We can't afford it. I'm about done with baseball, I don't watch unless the Reds are on and until a salary cap is added to the game it's going to be so boring watching these big markets compete for a worthless title year in and year out.

It is exciting when a young team pops up and competes (which does happen) but it's dumb that teams like Cleveland can't keep their great pitchers or the Reds have to trade their best outfielder in hopes of getting some pitching. The big markets don't have to do that.

That's why the games are on TBS and everybody is talking about football.

How do you explain the Twins? The A's have been better then average with a low payroll. The Marlins have been competitive with a lower payroll.

Cleveland could have kept their pitching, they chose not to. They had sell out after sell out after sell out for how many seasons? They made the choice to go in a different direction. There is no reason given the revenue generated that all MLB teams budgets can't be near 100 million AND the owners still make money.

mlh1981
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Please, not the "woe is us!" conversation, as it relates to market size.

Big money didn't win the Orioles from the 90s anything. The Yankees for the majority of the past decade failed, the Cubs, Mets and Red Sox failed this year.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
How do you explain the Twins? The A's have been better then average with a low payroll. The Marlins have been competitive with a lower payroll. .

So have the cardinals. :cool:

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:15 PM
How do you explain the Twins? The A's have been better then average with a low payroll. The Marlins have been competitive with a lower payroll.

Cleveland could have kept their pitching, they chose not to. They had sell out after sell out after sell out for how many seasons? They made the choice to go in a different direction. There is no reason given the revenue generated that all MLB teams budgets can't be near 100 million AND the owners still make money.

The Marlins with their talent should have been the most dominant team of the last decade and a half, instead they had to sell off their team twice. They made the playoffs twice and won 2 world series. That's cool, but they should have been the Yankees now. They should be the team that has only missed one playoff in 14 years (not sure if that's the exact number).

The small market teams will never have a chance at building and keeping a dynasty ever again. It won't happen.

The way baseball is anybody can win in a 5/7 game series, look at the teams that make (and will make) the playoffs almost every year. They like to talk about WS champions and use that as an argument for parity, the true parity comes with the ability to create and keep a team.

There are teams that overpay and do it the wrong way (looking at you Cubbies) but a big part of the game should be how a front office manages a roster with the same amount of resources as everybody else.

It's the biggest problem with baseball and the league is only going to continue to dwindle in popularity until this issue is taken care of. If not then I don't see any reason why we shouldn't just have a league of 8 teams.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Please, not the "woe is us!" conversation, as it relates to market size.

Big money didn't win the Orioles from the 90s anything. The Yankees for the majority of the past decade failed, the Cubs, Mets and Red Sox failed this year.

The Yankees failed? If that's failure then please give me some of that. I think you guys are all drinking the kool aid.

Explain to me why the playoffs are on TBS. Regular season football games have higher ratings than playoff baseball games.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
The Yankees failed? If that's failure then please give me some of that. I think you guys are all drinking the kool aid.

Explain to me why the playoffs are on TBS. Regular season football games have higher ratings than playoff baseball games.

With that salary.. anytime they dont win with whole thing its a failure.

Why does football have higher ratings? Umm less games, more fans, the novelty hasnt been worn off from 162 previous games? Take your pick.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
With that salary.. anytime they dont win with whole thing its a failure.

Why does football have higher ratings? Umm less games, more fans, the novelty hasnt been worn off from 162 previous games? Take your pick.

There are not more playoff baseball games than football games.

brm7675
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
The Marlins with their talent should have been the most dominant team of the last decade and a half, instead they had to sell off their team twice. They made the playoffs twice and won 2 world series. That's cool, but they should have been the Yankees now. They should be the team that has only missed one playoff in 14 years (not sure if that's the exact number).

The small market teams will never have a chance at building and keeping a dynasty ever again. It won't happen.

The way baseball is anybody can win in a 5/7 game series, look at the teams that make (and will make) the playoffs almost every year. They like to talk about WS champions and use that as an argument for parity, the true parity comes with the ability to create and keep a team.

There are teams that overpay and do it the wrong way (looking at you Cubbies) but a big part of the game should be how a front office manages a roster with the same amount of resources as everybody else.

It's the biggest problem with baseball and the league is only going to continue to dwindle in popularity until this issue is taken care of. If not then I don't see any reason why we shouldn't just have a league of 8 teams.

How many WS titles have the Yankees won over the past decade? How about the Red Sox? The phils have 1 as does the Cards. How has the large budgets worked for the Cubs? You do know that popularity for the sport has risen, not dropped over the past decade plus?

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
How many WS titles have the Yankees won over the past decade? How about the Red Sox? The phils have 1 as does the Cards. How has the large budgets worked for the Cubs? You do know that popularity for the sport has risen, not dropped over the past decade plus?

I covered all of that in my post.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
There are not more football games than playoff baseball games.

umm.. right.. thats why more people are excited to see a game that happens 16x a year than 162x a year.

:confused:

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
How many WS titles have the Yankees won over the past decade? How about the Red Sox? The phils have 1 as does the Cards.

How can you even put the cardinals in there with that group?

brm7675
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
The last 10 WS champs...where is/are the dynasty's?

Yankees
Diamondbacks
Angles
Marlins
Red Sox
White Sox
Cardinals
Red Sox
Phillies
Yankees

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
The last 10 WS champs...where is/are the dynasty's?

Yankees
Diamondbacks
Angles
Marlins
Red Sox
White Sox
Cardinals
Red Sox
Phillies
Yankees

well 7/10 of those are the top 8 highest payrolls which pretty much makes the point.

brm7675
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
well 6/10 of those are the top 7 highest payrolls which pretty much makes the point.

but where is the dynasty you speak of? Sure teams with higher payrolls have a better shot, but it's the fault of the owner not the payroll. Why do you think the Pirates suck? Is it because their budget is only 30 something million or because their owner pockets 75+ million and refuses to pay players?

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah, and when you look at the teams that make the playoffs and look at the payroll it becomes even more obvious.

I think you guys are just skimming my posts, I've said all of that already. The way baseball is the Pirates could win the WS this year if they were allowed to play in the playoffs. Over a 162 game season it's pretty obvious who the teams competing are going to be (most of the time, I know this is a weird year).

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
but where is the dynasty you speak of? Sure teams with higher payrolls have a better shot, but it's the fault of the owner not the payroll. Why do you think the Pirates suck? Is it because their budget is only 30 something million or because their owner pockets 75+ million and refuses to pay players?

I didnt speak of a dynasty.. but if I did, I would go further back than 10 years...and I would have to disagree with you that its the fault of the owner. I would say its being in a small market. So nobody is to blame (well selig for not having a proper salary cap)

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

If the Pirates, Reds, KC, etc. increased their payrolls it would still be outmatched by the big markets. The only thing the bottom feeders would be doing is increasing their payroll for the same teams that they have now.

The league needs a salary cap.

edit: BTW, I read the Pirates owner pocketed 20 mil, not 75 mil. Either way it's pretty moot.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Wiggy, were on the same page bro.

markymark69
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM

What's your point? Volquez had been lights out in his career against Philly - stats mean something - but they don't mean much on that particular day.

Bronson has pitched well in the stopper role this year. Hopefully he can step up and hopefully our recent success against Oswalt can continue. We'll see.

It's just great to see the Reds back in the post-season. Better than watching some other team.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Wiggy, were on the same page bro.

I'm happy there are others out there. I was raised as a Reds fan and I can't turn away, I watch/listen to all of the games. It's just so disheartening to watch a league that could be so much better.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:41 PM
do this year after year (cardinals) only to get your a$$ kicked in the playoffs by these teams and tell me how bitter you get about how this "league" is run.

ol'Sparky
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
:beerme:

New York Red
10-07-2010, 11:17 PM
What's your point? Volquez had been lights out in his career against Philly - stats mean something - but they don't mean much on that particular day.

No they don't. The last time we faced Roy Halladay, we gave him one of the worst losses he's had in a Phillie uniform. We put up a season high hit total on him.

Then he no-hits us in Game One. :rolleyes:

AintlifeGrande
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
When we get to game 4, I would not start EV. I would definitely go with Wood...hopefully we are in a position to clinch in game 4..but that's me being entirely too optimistic.

Game 4,Game 4?
We better hope the sticks wake up Friday,or it's over.

ukwazoo
10-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Game 4,Game 4?
We better hope the sticks wake up Friday,or it's over.

And by Game 2, you meant Game 2 of the 2011 regular season.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Hamels is 6-0 lifetime against the Reds.

It's over.