PDA

View Full Version : Why do Phillies fans not like Rolen?

webbbj
10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
just wondering why do the phillies fans not like this guy? i know he used to play for them did he leave on bad terms? or does philly just dislike former players?

R_Webb18
10-07-2010, 01:14 AM
if I had to guess I'd say yes b/c don't the stl fans cheer him?

Orodle
10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
he didnt want to be in philly and left

RedLegsToday
10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
or does philly just dislike former players?

Former players, current players, the opposition. Philly fans dislike everyone!

SwingOnThis
10-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Rolen whined constantly about wanting to play elsewhere and when he was dealt to St. Louis, his quote was that 'he was in heaven'. He was standoffish with the fans, whined about the stadium, about the team not spending money (he had a point here), but had he stuck around, he would have been part of this mini-dynasty that the Phils have built. He basically made it known that he hated Philly and didn't want to be here.

CySeymour
10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Also remember, Mike Schmidt was booed a lot in Philly.

gmt
10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
The Philadelphia fans (I think the Eagles) booed Santa Claus during a game several years ago. For what it's worth, at least they can say they wear their passions on their sleeve.

ThornWithin81
10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Rolen whined constantly about wanting to play elsewhere and when he was dealt to St. Louis, his quote was that 'he was in heaven'. He was standoffish with the fans, whined about the stadium, about the team not spending money (he had a point here), but had he stuck around, he would have been part of this mini-dynasty that the Phils have built. He basically made it known that he hated Philly and didn't want to be here.

If I didn't love Rolen already, I sure love him now.

TheBigLebowski
10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
No one should dare try to figure out the intricacies of the PhillyFan mindset.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
The Philadelphia fans (I think the Eagles) booed Santa Claus during a game several years ago. For what it's worth, at least they can say they wear their passions on their sleeve.

youre right and heres the proof
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/philadelphia.asp

Philly fans are by far the worst in all sports.
1) throwing snowballs at santa
2) '01 Flyers fan attacking Tie Domi in the penalty box
3) '97 Throwing DD batteries at JD Drew
4) (every week) some jagbag runs out on the field
5) Throwing up on an 11yr old girl rooting for the opposing team
6) Michael Irving suffers a career ending injury.... Eagles fans cheer.
7) '89 Back judge Al Jury was knocked down after being pelted with snowballs.

seriously, Im surprised they didnt bring over the jail, court and judge from the old stadium.

SwingOnThis
10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
If I didn't love Rolen already, I sure love him now.

He fits in well with the Reds. lol

texasdave
10-07-2010, 11:45 AM

seriously, Im surprised they didnt bring over the jail, court and judge from the old stadium.

Don't forget this little bit of sportsmanship.

YouTube - Eagles Fans throw snowballs at 49ers fans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXNjfXbUaQ)

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I know! What if there was a little kid down there? Thats just uncalled for.

arkimadee
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM

YouTube - Eagles Fans throw snowballs at 49ers fans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXNjfXbUaQ)
wow.. that's about as bad as it can get.

athinnes
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
If you hadn't realized this by now, it's going to get quite obvious as we go through this series: Philly fans are the scum of the earth.

They are uneducated, drunk, loud, and obnoxious. This is why I root against Philly in every sport.

As a Red fan, I feel lucky to not be exposed to their garbage more than twice a year.

Captain13
10-07-2010, 12:18 PM

and Marty thinks Cub fans are the worst?!:confused:

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM

For the most part (but not all) cubs fans dont really care about baseball, they go to a game (even though the stadium smells like pee) to be seen, drink, party with your friends and they are not even interested in the game itself.

Philly fans, care a little too much. They would kill someone if it meant a Win. Im sure we all want to win, but lets not forget its just a game.

athinnes
10-07-2010, 12:28 PM

I live in Chicago and have gone to numerous Reds/Cubs games. I have seen nothing like the things I see in Philly when it comes to opposing teams and fans. Verbal abuse (mostly to opposing players), yes, but the physical abuse you see in Philly is no where else.

Yes, Philly fans are the worst fans in sports.

Hey Meat
10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Philly fans and Jason Werth. A match made in heaven. Remember the poor fan that he cussed out the last time we played them?

markymark69
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
or does philly just dislike former players?

Former players, current players, the opposition. Philly fans dislike everyone!

Remember, they are said to have even booed Santa Claus.

Hey Meat
10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Heck, 4 or 5 years ago they screaming fire Charlie?

aldotcs
10-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I know! What if there was a little kid down there? Thats just uncalled for.

If they will throw up on a child, why would they worry about snowballs. Pathetic.

SwingOnThis
10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
This many tears over a game one loss? Come on guys, you're tougher than that.

athinnes
10-07-2010, 01:46 PM

I thought we were talking about Philly fans and how it relates to them not liking Rolen. Not sure who is crying. You don't need to be on the losing end to realize how horrible they are.

bounty37h
10-07-2010, 01:56 PM
just wondering why do the phillies fans not like this guy? i know he used to play for them did he leave on bad terms? or does philly just dislike former players?

I think Philly just hates anything they can. They have the biggest N.Y. complex I have ever seen, want to be rude and hated by everyone.

TheBigLebowski
10-07-2010, 02:03 PM

First of all, no - we're not. You're new here; eventually that fact will be evident.

Secondly, we're talking about Philadelphia sports fans and their respective behavior. If you can defend any of the stuff that has come up in this thread, I invite you to do so.

Jr's Boy
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM

The Eagles stadium has a holding cell.You see why I stated in the game thread that they are the worst fans in sports.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
The Eagles stadium has a holding cell.You see why I stated in the game thread that they are the worst fans in sports.

Wait, I thought that was for Vick.

mckbearcat48
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Wait, I thought that was for Vick.

It's a dogfight every week.

mckbearcat48
10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I will share my one Philly sports experience...

My wife and I went to the Vet to see the Cards and Phils. I was stupid and wore a JD Drew jersey. I got a nice beer bath every couple innings. My wife was spared, so I give that to them. As I heard later, I was surprised I walked out of there. They're passionate on the verge of crazy. I've been to Cincy 4 times (2 at Riverfront/Cinergy, 2 at GABP) and found the experience (even as a Cardinal fan) quite enjoyable, as Reds fans sitting next to us engaged in polite conversation and a little smack. Plus, Cincy has Crosley Field Pale Ale, which is a feather in their cap.

mlh1981
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Try being a Reds fan at the Philly game from earlier this season when the Phillies posted that huge 9th inning comeback.

Actually, in all honesty, MOST people were pretty cool. Got a few weird looks, but some seemed curious about me, a Reds fan being there, and we were having civil conversation.

It's just that a few people had to ruin it for all.

athinnes
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Plus, Cincy has Crosley Field Pale Ale, which is a feather in their cap.

Oh man, I miss that beverage so much. Delicious.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Actually, in all honesty, MOST people were pretty cool.
It's just that a few people had to ruin it for all.

Just like its only a few people throwing snowballs in the posted video. :rolleyes:

I think we should start an online petition to revoke the motto, "City of brotherly love"

mlh1981
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Just like its only a few people throwing snowballs in the posted video. :rolleyes:

I think we should start an online petition to revoke the motto, "City of brotherly love"

I haven't watched the video yet, as I'm at work, but I'll check it out.

mckbearcat48
10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh man, I miss that beverage so much. Delicious.

I got it at Rock Bottom across from Riverfront for my 21st birthday. I was hoping I could still find it. :(

SunnyInPhilly
10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Much rather be accused of being overpassionate than a lackluster fanbase that provides their team very little homefield advantage. We care about our team and our fans, not yours. If you want to come to our stadium and cheer on your team, you know what you're getting into. If that keeps you from coming, good. That much more of a homefield advantage for us.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Much rather be accused of being overpassionate than a lackluster fanbase that provides their team very little homefield advantage. We care about our team and our fans, not yours. If you want to come to our stadium and cheer on your team, you know what you're getting into. If that keeps you from coming, good. That much more of a homefield advantage for us.

Wow, you guys are so awesome, attacking people rooting for grown up athletes. It's amazing how dedicated you are, we should all be jealous. It really shows how great the people of Philadelphia are.

If you want to see a dedicated fan base head to Columbus, OH on Michigan weekend. You won't get beat up either.

SunnyInPhilly
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, you guys are so awesome, attacking people rooting for grown up athletes. It's amazing how dedicated you are, we should all be jealous. It really shows how great the people of Philadelphia are.

If you want to see a dedicated fan base head to Columbus, OH on Michigan weekend. You won't get beat up either.

Na I think I'll go to Happy Valley on any weekend and sit in the best student section in all of college sports.

texasdave
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM

I am pretty sure that those two 49ers fans were drowning out 70,000 plus cheering Eagles' fans. You had to get rid of them, no doubt. Stay classy, Philadelphia.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Na I think I'll go to Happy Valley on any weekend and sit in the best student section in all of college sports.

It's not even in the top two of the Big Ten.

SunnyInPhilly
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
It's not even in the top two of the Big Ten.

Says you.

STAY IN SCHOOL: TOP STUDENT SECTIONS

Penn State's White Out is a sight to behold.

1. Penn State
2. Notre Dame
3. LSU
4. Wisconsin
5. South Carolina

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/news/story?id=5500472

It's ok though, you guys have the top student band.......lol

Also ranked #1 by ESPN the Magazine, so it's not just Herbstreit. You can ask your boy Nick Mangold. He'll tell you.

mroby85
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Says you.

Also ranked #1 by ESPN the Magazine, so it's not just Herbstreit. You can ask your boy Nick Mangold. He'll tell you.

Enjoy your student section, we'll enjoy our 6th straight Big Ten title, and 7 National Championships.

scott91575
10-07-2010, 05:17 PM

What is something a dbag would say?

I'll take idiot Philly fans for $200 Alex.

Wiggidy
10-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Says you.

Looks like everybody just got done with a huge circle jerk. I'm not surprised you value the opinion of a Buckeye though.

SunnyInPhilly
10-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Looks like everybody just got done with a huge circle jerk. I'm not surprised you value the opinion of a Buckeye though.

"I'm wrong" would have been shorter.

SunnyInPhilly
10-08-2010, 12:27 AM
What is something a dbag would say?

I'll take idiot Philly fans for $200 Alex.

Tell me more about your opinion. I care.

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 12:44 AM

You're an idiot. Typical Philadelphia.

SwingOnThis
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Let me address these point by point...

1) The Eagles back in the day were known as a cheap organization and the fans were extremely dissatisfied with the product on the field. When they brought out some cheap excuse for a Santa, dressed in a dirty suit, stumbling around drunk, he was rightfully pelted with snowballs.

2) Domi is an ******* and had it coming.

3) JD Drew and Boras snubbed Philly, and we don't take too kindly to that. Plus he's an arrogant ****.

4) Not true. The guy in the red man costume was tremendous if you're familiar with "Always Sunny". Plus Matt Diaz got a nice ovation for knocking the guy down so security could grab him.

5) No defense for this. But you can't condemn an entire fan base for the actions of one drunk idiot.

6) The fans cheered the fact that Irvin got drilled and didn't get up. No one knew it was a career ender. But when you're a huge ******* like Irvin (no g), and enjoy taunting opposing fans like he did, you have to expect that. Ask Irvin if he harbors any ill will about that incident. He doesn't, and has said as much, and he respects the Philly fans.

7) Not familiar with that one, but i know Jimmy Johnson was pelted with snowballs. That was teh lulz.

Stray
10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I know this thread derailed a while back, but to the OP...wasn't he playing on astroturf in Philly? I'm not going to pretend like I was a fan that followed him back then, but at some point in his career didn't he want to move to play on grass for health reasons? Or am I thinking of another situation, or did I make this all up lol?

bounty37h
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Enjoy your student section, we'll enjoy our 6th straight Big Ten title, and 7 National Championships.

Served.

athinnes
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM

That garbage paragraph summarized in one sentence: "We are the worst fans in American sports and we don't care"

As someone stated before, stay classy Philly. In the meantime, the rest of the country will continue to enjoy your antics for evening entertainment on Sportscenter. Maybe another idiot Philly fan will get tazed tonight. :thumbup:

SunnyInPhilly
10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Served.

What was served? The argument was about fans. He lost.

SunnyInPhilly
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
That garbage paragraph summarized in one sentence: "We are the worst fans in baseball and we don't care"

As someone stated before, stay classy Philly. In the meantime, the rest of the country will continue to enjoy your antics for evening entertainment on Sportscenter. Maybe another idiot Philly fan will get tazed tonight. :thumbup:

I really couldn't care less who gets tazed because I'll be celebrating a win and my team will be one win away from their third consecutive NLCS. And you bragging about 7 national championships is like Eagles fans bragging about their NFL championships from 1960. You've won one NC in the last 40 years.

Captain13
10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm all for getting heckled, but there is no excuse for physical violence or assault: pelting with snowballs, vomiting, throwing batteries...all illegal and over the line.:eek:

SunnyInPhilly
10-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm all for getting heckled, but there is no excuse for physical violence or assault: pelting with snowballs, vomiting, throwing batteries...all illegal and over the line.:eek:

Most of that was already covered, but fights happen at every ballpark. That's what happens when you mix opposing fans and alcohol.

Wiggidy
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
What was served? The argument was about fans. He lost.

I lost? Go look at some top ten fans in college football lists.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384555-power-ranking-college-footballs-best-fan-bases-post-spring-game-ed#page/9

There's one for you but I looked at some of these and Penn State didn't top Ohio State once.

You said student section, I went to Ohio State, the Student section is the first 40 rows around the entire stadium. I'll take that over a white out any day.

RockyBalboa
10-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Every city has drunks that act like idiots. Chicago was mentioned earlier in this thread. What about the 2 idiots in Chicago that ran onto the field and beat up the 1st base coach? In a Cubs game Victorino was on the warning track standing under a fly ball and just before he caught it he got a full beer thrown right into his face. I think there was a disco night in the 70's in Chicago when they tore up the field and set fires and had to cancel the 2nd game of the double header. This crazy stuff happens every where but when it happens in Philly it is immediately highlighted on SportsCenter because of our bad rep. Most of you probably didn't even know about the Victorino incident but if it happened in Philly you would have known.

Rolen is just boo'd because of the comments he made about the fans and team after he left. He was treated good here so he had no reason to make those remarks and was out of line.

And we have had plenty of former players receive standing ovations coming back here. Barkley, Iverson he even kissed the Sixers floor at center court and cried during the press conference on his return last season. Reggie White, McNabb got a standing ovation last weekend. Thome pinch hit and nailed a home run that led a 9th inning comeback earlier this year for the Twins and got a standing ovation from the Phillies fans. Pat Burrell got a big ovation when he returned with San Fran this year. Brian Dawkins got a huge ovation when he returned with Denver last year so stop with the Philadelphia hates everybody nonsense. Heck, Philly and Cincy are probably the only 2 cities in America that love and support Pete Rose.