PDA

View Full Version : Congrats (and history) from a Phillie's fan.

fredgarvin
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
HI Red's fans. Congrats on a wonderful season. You WILL be back! Actually, the Reds play a significant (for Phil's fans, bad) part in Phillie's history. We have a very good catcher named Ruiz (Carlos) but do you remember CHICO Ruiz? Philly fans remember him BETTER. In 1964, in the 9th inning at old Crosley Field, Ruiz won the game as he stole home plate, starting the most impressive collapse in sports history. That loss started a 10 game losing steak (5 to the Reds) that cost the Phils the pennant. They were up 6 1/2 games with 12 to play. How can you screw that up? By Pitching your best 2 guys on 2 days rest............. TWICE!!!

Let's move up to '76. The Phils had won 101 games to take NL East. Their opponents? "The Big Red Machine"!!! I thought we'd win at least ONE game. Nope! Johnny and Pete and Tony and Caesar, and Joe, and George etc. were just too good. Where were the OUTS in THAT line-up? We COULDA won if we had 8 Mike Scmidts in the line-up and FOUR Steve Carltons in the rotation...maybe! At that point in time, the Phils had been in existance for 93 years and had been to two! count'em' TWO World Series, collecting exactly ONE win in those 9 games. It wasn't until PETE ROSE (blessings be upon him) provided the catylist to let those under-achieving 70's Phils win their FIRST WS!!! In '83 Tony P. and Joe M. joined Pete and we had only our 4th WS appearance in 100 years!!! (Hey ANYBODY can have a bad century RIGHT?) And for most of that time there were only SEVEN other teams to lose to. And brother they DID!

So, speaking from a place in total empathy for your beloved Reds, who gave it their best, I hope you guys appreciate their efforts and give'em great support next year. If the Phils get to face 'em in the play-offs NEXT year, they will be a tough team to top. So cheer-UP if you're down! Nobody could possibly feel as low as I did after the '64 meltdown. This was just a bump!

Ps. For those in the game thread crying about the "bad calls" and crying "1919 Black Sox scandal". Try and remember WHO the beneficiaries of THAT fix were!!!

Pps. For the Utley haters: If one of YOUR guys had been ruled a struck batsman, and he argued to the ump: "Heck no! I wasn't hit!" From what part of "Great American" would his lifeless corpse be hanging? :D

texasdave
10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Best of luck the rest of the way.

bounty37h
10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
HI Red's fans. Congrats on a wonderful season. You WILL be back! Actually, the Reds play a significant (for Phil's fans, bad) part in Phillie's history. We have a very good catcher named Ruiz (Carlos) but do you remember CHICO Ruiz? Philly fans remember him BETTER. In 1964, in the 9th inning at old Crosley Field, Ruiz won the game as he stole home plate, starting the most impressive collapse in sports history. That loss started a 10 game losing steak (5 to the Reds) that cost the Phils the pennant. They were up 6 1/2 games with 12 to play. How can you screw that up? By Pitching your best 2 guys on 2 days rest............. TWICE!!!

Let's move up to '76. The Phils had won 101 games to take NL East. Their opponents? "The Big Red Machine"!!! I thought we'd win at least ONE game. Nope! Johnny and Pete and Tony and Caesar, and Joe, and George etc. were just too good. Where were the OUTS in THAT line-up? We COULDA won if we had 8 Mike Scmidts in the line-up and FOUR Steve Carltons in the rotation...maybe! At that point in time, the Phils had been in existance for 93 years and had been to two! count'em' TWO World Series, collecting exactly ONE win in those 9 games. It wasn't until PETE ROSE (blessings be upon him) provided the catylist to let those under-achieving 70's Phils win their FIRST WS!!! In '83 Tony P. and Joe M. joined Pete and we had only our 4th WS appearance in 100 years!!! (Hey ANYBODY can have a bad century RIGHT?) And for most of that time there were only SEVEN other teams to lose to. And brother they DID!

So, speaking from a place in total empathy for your beloved Reds, who gave it their best, I hope you guys appreciate their efforts and give'em great support next year. If the Phils get to face 'em in the play-offs NEXT year, they will be a tough team to top. So cheer-UP if you're down! Nobody could possibly feel as low as I did after the '64 meltdown. This was just a bump!

Ps. For those in the game thread crying about the "bad calls" and crying "1919 Black Sox scandal". Try and remember WHO the beneficiaries of THAT fix were!!!

Pps. For the Utley haters: If one of YOUR guys had been ruled a struck batsman, and he argued to the ump: "Heck no! I wasn't hit!" From what part of "Great American" would his lifeless corpse be hanging? :D

Good luck. Havent seen anyone hating him, just hate a game is affected by a wrong call and not a play. I hated it when it happened with Jeter and got crucified for saying so. I dont hate the player at all though, they had nothing to do with it, you tell em take a base and they should take that base. But, if we take care of businees the rest ofhte game its a moot point, so no point in discussing really.

fredgarvin
10-15-2010, 02:03 PM
" I dont hate the player at all though, they had nothing to do with it, you tell em take a base and they should take that base."

Good for you! But there were a TON of remarks about him and those boo's a GABP were LOUD!

Votto4MVP
10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
" I dont hate the player at all though, they had nothing to do with it, you tell em take a base and they should take that base."

Good for you! But there were a TON of remarks about him and those boo's a GABP were LOUD!

The dude started running to first way before the Ump signaled anything. If he woulda just acted like it didnt hit him, which it didnt, then the ump wouldnt have said anything.

Did he do anything illegal? No. Do I hate the guy? Not really.

Was it a pretty cheap move and should he not have done it? Yes.

Would a lot of players in his position do the same thing, including the jeters of the world? Yes.

Does that make it right? No.

Girevik
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM

That was just gamesmenship....hoping to mess with his head a bit.

redsrolen
10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Thank-you Fredgarvin!!

I really enjoyed your info(history)! It is so great to learn from someone else's point of view. At the start of our season, people said they would be grateful to make it to the playoffs. When we didn't advance, there was alot of finger pointing. Some of the fans want it "all" right now! You reminded us that it takes a little time.

malcontent
10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
The dude started running to first way before the Ump signaled anything. If he woulda just acted like it didnt hit him, which it didnt, then the ump wouldnt have said anything.

Did he do anything illegal? No. Do I hate the guy? Not really.

Was it a pretty cheap move and should he not have done it? Yes.

Would a lot of players in his position do the same thing, including the jeters of the world? Yes.

Does that make it right? No.

As much as I dislike the "this" response...

This.

And to fredgarvin: we appreciate the post.

CrosleyField
10-18-2010, 03:15 PM

I have to admit this is classy from a Phillies fan

Hey Meat
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks, Kind words. Good luck to you.

fredgarvin
10-19-2010, 11:45 AM
"I have to admit this is classy from a Phillies fan ."

Hey, that sorta smacks of: "You know he's not a bad guy for a cannible." :) Just kidding. I get what you mean.

One more historical note from an outsider's perspective. Actually 2. #1 When the Reds got Tom Seaver from the Mets in '77 I thought OMG, the Phils will NEVER get past them in the LCS. (Actually it was the Dodgers they couldn't get past.) #2 Can you imagine the terror of Big Red Machine if some idiot hadn't traded Frank Robinson away for basically nothing?

BTW I always root for the Bengals in that division.

TheBigLebowski
10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks, dude.....classy post......always fun to interact with opposing fans that know how to behave and know how to make themselves welcome in an opponent's lair.

Cheers.

GOBCU33
10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Went to Citizens Bank Park last year for a Reds-Phillies game with my Brandon Phillips shirt on... needless to say everything Brandon Phillips came up to bat I had bottles, pretzels, garbage, etc. thrown at me from behind.

When I was in 6th grade, went to a Philadelphia Eagles game with a Dallas Cowboys jersey on... had to leave early from an injury to the head after getting hit in the head with a glass bottle.

With that said... Thanks for your class-act post and the history lesson. I hope you guys lose in 6 games, just so your home fans can see it

fredgarvin
10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
"I hope you guys lose in 6 games, just so your home fans can see it."

My only response to that is to wish T.O. on the Bengals......oh wait a minute.....

Jr's Boy
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm on board with the Giants to win the NL.No way in hell I'm rooting for the team that swept us and knocked us out the playoffs.

aldotcs
10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
"I hope you guys lose in 6 games, just so your home fans can see it."

My only response to that is to wish T.O. on the Bengals......oh wait a minute.....

I got a giggle out of that. I didn't think there could be a bigger AW than Chad and then they put the two of them together!
I could not root for the Cards. I'm not much on rooting for the Phils but I can say it would be a greater possibility! Thanks for your kindness and positive outlook for the Reds!

bounty37h
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I got a giggle out of that. I didn't think there could be a bigger AW than Chad and then they put the two of them together!
I could not root for the Cards. I'm not much on rooting for the Phils but I can say it would be a greater possibility! Thanks for your kindness and positive outlook for the Reds!

I know the A part, "w"hole?

aldotcs
10-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I know the A part, "w"hole?

If you change the L in whole to an R, then you have it. I wasn't sure if it would be asterisked if I wrote it out. The A is for attention.

smixsell
10-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. I agree with you that the Phils were better this year and that the Reds will be a nightmare to their opponents in the future.

I have nothing against Utley at all, I would have done exactly the same thing if were facing ANY nasty pitcher and was about to be down in the count 0-2 (the ball nicked Utley's bat), and ALL THE MORE since he was facing a 105 mph capable lefthander. My bigest beef was that Hanny and/or Aroldis didn't immediately start yelling "It hit the bat blue!!!! (a term for umpire)"

Anyone who has played baseball knows that you have to "sell it" on a close call, it's part of being a ball player. Whether it's making a "phantom tag" when you know you can't get a guy coming into a base (or the plate) or selling a HBP, it's an itegral part of the game as long as there are human umps. Utley did a good job selling it and Hanny did not even try to object. I am confident Hanny and Aroldis will learn and do better next time.

PS After being called out as a base stealer on more than one occasion despite never being touched by my opponent's glove, I decided to master the art of the phantom tag (it is an art- just like "framing" pitches by the catcher), and actually count several of the phantom tags I applied to get out calls at second base or home plate among the best defensicve plays I ever made . (It's also kind of fun to see the look on the runner's face as he gets all Red and yells at the ump. It takes away the sting of some of the outragess calls that went against you in the past) :o)