PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Joey Votto for?

joe51391
10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Would you trade Joey Votto for Zach Greinke, Joakim Soria, and Alex Gordon. I know the reds would have to give up more but if they were able to put say Coco and Homer Bailey would you make that deal. Now I know this will get all sorts of people mad but hear me out. I think Votto is one of the best if not the best player in baseball and I would hate to see him go but all feelling aside he could fetch alot of talent in return. He plays a position that is easy to get production out of and I think Alonso could do just that. He will put up good numbers if he played a full year there. So the way I see it is the Reds down grade at one position and upgrade at two possibly three. If that wasn't enough to get those three guys I would throw in Fransisco or almost any other prospect.

lonewolf371
10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
It may be a good trade from a value perspective, but you also have to think about it from a team building and fan base building perspective. A lot of people in the Cincinnati area have a huge attachment to Votto that would be damaged if he were traded. Also, in building a team sooner or later you have to pick your guys that you want to build around and stick with them. Votto is a guy you can build around, and I think the management should stick with him. If you do everything else right in putting players around him, he can keep you good for a long time.

Natty Redlocks
10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
If I traded Votto, I would look to Toronto. If he became available, I bet they'd want him really badly.

Come to think of it, Jose Bautista would be a pretty good fit here.

Vottomatic
10-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, trade him for a box of rocks. He sucks.

What year did the Cards win the World Series? And who was the best hitter in their lineup?

Enough said.

You build your team around a guy like this.

And how does everyone know that Greinke is still a #1 talent? He had an ERA over 4.00 this season and a losing record (on a bad team I realize). Maybe he already peaked and will become more average from here on out?

mroby85
10-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Would you trade Joey Votto for Zach Greinke, Joakim Soria, and Alex Gordon. I know the reds would have to give up more but if they were able to put say Coco and Homer Bailey would you make that deal. Now I know this will get all sorts of people mad but hear me out. I think Votto is one of the best if not the best player in baseball and I would hate to see him go but all feelling aside he could fetch alot of talent in return. He plays a position that is easy to get production out of and I think Alonso could do just that. He will put up good numbers if he played a full year there. So the way I see it is the Reds down grade at one position and upgrade at two possibly three. If that wasn't enough to get those three guys I would throw in Fransisco or almost any other prospect.

NO!!! Trading Votto is the dumbest thing this team could possibly do. You finally have a high profile stud that can single handedly make the players around him better, there is no way I trade Votto, period. He is as close to untouchable as they come.

cinreds21
10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
The Royals don't need a first baseman.

SullyGator
10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
The Royals don't need a first baseman.

Yup, and I don't think the Reds really need Zack Greinke, or most other available starting pitchers for that matter.

cinreds21
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Yup, and I don't think the Reds really need Zack Greinke, or most other available starting pitchers for that matter.

The Reds could use an ace.

The Royals, have two or three guys that could play first base. Billy Butler (who's gonna DH), Eric Hosmer, and even Mike Moustakas could all play first.

NorrisHopper30
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
If I traded Votto, I would look to Toronto. If he became available, I bet they'd want him really badly.

Jose Bautista is overrated, bad fit.

JayBruceFan
10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
So Jose Bautista finally has a good season and people want to trade Joey Votto for him?

Good Grief.............

mroby85
10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
So Jose Bautista finally has a good season and people want to trade Joey Votto for him?

Good Grief.............

For some reason people can't seem to figure out there is an explanation for Joey Votto being able to pull in a ton in a trade. It's because he's a complete stud, and the Reds are lucky enough to have him.

cinreds21
10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Yea, I'm so not sold on Bautista. I hope he continues it but I wouldn't look to trade anything big for him.

Vottomatic
10-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Think about how good Joey's numbers might be if he had a Matt Holliday type hitter hitting behind him?

PeteRoseBelongs
10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
LOL, trade Votto? I will pretend I didn't read that. NO Way IN HELL would I trade him. If the Reds want Zach Greinke they can get him without the thought of Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey etc. There is a reason why the Royals are listening to " all " offers. the question is why?

redsfanmia
10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
LOL, trade Votto? I will pretend I didn't read that. NO Way IN HELL would I trade him. If the Reds want Zach Greinke they can get him without the thought of Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey etc. There is a reason why the Royals are listening to " all " offers. the question is why?

I still say that the Reds should go to Votto and gauge his interest in a longterm deal, if he balks they should trade him while he is cheap and his value is at its peak.

FlyerFanatic
10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
yep, i dont want to see the reds move bruce/votto ever. lock em both up long term

KYRedLeg
10-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Absolutely not. I want to see this generation of the Reds built firmly upon their Canadian first baseman.

Natty Redlocks
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Good Grief.............

To be fair, I never said Votto for Bautista straight up. But if they're willing to give up a ridiculous amount, the Reds would be foolish not to listen.

And Bautista's ability to play both the OF and 3B would indeed make him a good fit on a team counting on Scott Rolen to stay healthy and not suck. IF they were looking to trade Votto (which there's no reason to think they are, or will be anytime soon), Toronto would be a good place to look, because bringing in a Canadian player of Votto's caliber would probably be worth a great deal to them.

But for Greinke? That doesn't even make sense for either team.

aldotcs
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't even consider trading Votto. Might as well shoot the team in the foot.

DocRed
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I would trade ANYBODY on this team...but you would have to pay dearly for him.

Kingspoint
10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I would trade him for Felix Hernandez and nobody else.

Chris Sabowned
10-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd trade Votto and a pitcher of San Fran's choosing for Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey. Thats the only combo I would do that for.

Vottomatic
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Season ticket sales would plummet instantly.

10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Lets look at this two ways.

Pure stats:

Votto has a career .958 OPS and last year was above 1.000 OPS. Alonso projects to be around a .850 OPS hitter, with a .900 OPS ceiling.

If Votto is able to OPS over 1.000 OPS each year, and really, it looks like he should, and Alonso reaches his ceiling of .900 OPS, that would be a difference in offensive production of around 35 runs or 3.5 wins. That is huge. I seriously doubt that Greinke, Soria and Gordon would make up that difference.

Now lets look at it from a non stats perspective. Joey Votto is a once in a decade player who affects the entire team with his presence. When the team loses Votto, they not only lose his production, but will lose production from nearly every batting spot in the lineup. Pitchers have to approach the Reds lineup differently because of Votto's presence in the third spot. The lead off hitters get more fastballs, the guys behind him are hitting more often with runners on base. A team doesn't trade players like Votto if they want to contend, they build around him.

webbbj
10-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Season ticket sales would plummet instantly.

pretty much this. any good will the reds have gained would all go to waste if they traded votto. it wouldnt matter who they broght in. the reds have a 3-4 window here to really compete for a WS and they need to seize that opportunity now.

i know grienke won the cy young in 09 but he didnt exactly back that performance up very well last year.

the reds have 7 potential starters next year i think trading 2 for 1 would be a neat idea to get an ace type up here.

Hustleman
10-18-2010, 12:01 AM
I would trade him for Felix Hernandez and nobody else.

I'd trade Votto and a pitcher of San Fran's choosing for Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey. Thats the only combo I would do that for.

No to the OP trade proposal but I'd have to think long and hard about these two

New York Red
10-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Bautista would hit 60 in GAB, but I'm not sure I'd make that trade.

10-18-2010, 01:34 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kTjWe26KMQs/TG_z9-t3lhI/AAAAAAAAA-g/WY4uxeuiNro/s320/one_trick_pony_book.jpg

Natty Redlocks
10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kTjWe26KMQs/TG_z9-t3lhI/AAAAAAAAA-g/WY4uxeuiNro/s320/one_trick_pony_book.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vhbFEcfjqy4/R60W4m-M2BI/AAAAAAAAB78/zKXp8r5I2Uo/s400/mrknowitall4.jpg

smixsell
10-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I wouln't trade Votto for ANYONE. :)

BUT I would gladly trade Alonso for value, I am not convinced he is a "can't miss" prospect. His bat looked very slow against average major league fastballs in September

mckbearcat48
10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I believe in the "You don't trade the best" motto. I don't think the Reds should trade Votto for the same reason the Cardinals shouldn't trade Pujols. You just don't replace guys like that.

Jefferson24
10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
You just don't replace guys like that.

Certainly nor with Alonso, I do not think he will be half the player Votto is.

Girevik
10-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't beleive that any player is untochable. If I can trade a guy, even my best guy, and imporve my team then I do it. The issue becomes is another team really going to give up value for a guy like Votto?

I know this is totally unrealistic, but just to take it to an extreme what if the Marlins came to you and offer Josh Johnson and Hanley Ramierez for Votto (and contracts were not an issue). Would you really say "no thanks, he's not available"?

Redsnake
10-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Josh Johnson and Hanley for Votto = YES
Tulowitzki and Fowler for Votto = YES
Ricky Romero and Bautista for Votto = YES
Kemp, Broxton and Billingsley for Votto = YES
Reyes, Ike Davis and Pagan for Votto = YES
Upton, Jeremy Hellickson and Bartlett for Votto = Maybe
:D