PDA

View Full Version : The Strike Zone box

Helms1
10-20-2010, 08:21 AM
is really changing baseball in my opinion. I see a strike zone above the belt, and pitchers who are willing to work up there this year and specifically in the playoffs. I see this as a good thing, and I do believe the pitchers may end up profiting from it's effect, when my logic would say getting rid of the "Glavine strike" would hurt pitching. The Reds have pitchers that can work the upper strike zone in my opinion. How do you feel?

improbus
10-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, it depends. First, they better not use the box TBS was using last night, because that box was based on the catchers glove and not home plate. For example, in the bottom of the 8th, the Rangers had Rapadas, their left handed side-winder, in to face Robinson Cano. Rapadas throws a fast ball that ends up hitting the catchers mitt just outside of the strike zone and the TBS pitch box said the same, but the trajectory of the pitch was at such an angle that the ball HAD to cross home plate.

Now, if baseball were to get the technolgy right, it would be awesome. Really all you would need to do is put some laser sensors in home plate shooting straight up. It would bring back the high strike and eliminate some of the horrific strikes given to Halliday in his no-no against the Reds.:(

Helms1
10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, it depends. First, they better not use the box TBS was using last night, because that box was based on the catchers glove and not home plate. For example, in the bottom of the 8th, the Rangers had Rapadas, their left handed side-winder, in to face Robinson Cano. Rapadas throws a fast ball that ends up hitting the catchers mitt just outside of the strike zone and the TBS pitch box said the same, but the trajectory of the pitch was at such an angle that the ball HAD to cross home plate.

Now, if baseball were to get the technolgy right, it would be awesome. Really all you would need to do is put some laser sensors in home plate shooting straight up. It would bring back the high strike and eliminate some of the horrific strikes given to Halliday in his no-no against the Reds.:(

I noticed last night. I think sensors on the plate and uniform would take care of a lot of discrepancy, unless pine tar got on the sensors I suppose. I must admit, I like the high strike.

Captain13
10-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I like the high strike, hate the low one, and think pitchers get hosed on the inside corner.

Umpires consistently take away the inside strike and then extend the plate on the outside. If they would just call the plate, it would force batters back in the box and make for a better game (fewer HBP and a lot less armour). Right now batters are getting hit (or nearly hit) by strikes, and pitchers never get that call. Sorry, just a peeve of mine.

improbus
10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I like the high strike, hate the low one, and think pitchers get hosed on the inside corner.

Umpires consistently take away the inside strike and then extend the plate on the outside. If they would just call the plate, it would force batters back in the box and make for a better game (fewer HBP and a lot less armour). Right now batters are getting hit (or nearly hit) by strikes, and pitchers never get that call. Sorry, just a peeve of mine.
In addition, I've noticed players bailing out of the box on pitches that are strikes in an attempt to fool the umpire. Brandon Phillips did this at least twice a game. I understand why guys do it, but it is really petty and cheap. Perhaps a more uniform strike zone will improve that situation as well.

swaisuc
10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I am not sure its the advantage you're suggesting for pitchers. Speaking in completely general terms, the "high strike" is a very hittable pitch and one you can usually drive if you connect. By making that a strike and encouraging more pitches to be thrown there, I think you're baiting the pitchers to a certain extent to throw into a major hitting zone.