PDA

View Full Version : Did we kickstart the Giants run?

New York Red
11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, SF was already a good team obviously before we played them at the end of our west coast swing in August. But they came into that series limping after a bad road trip. Then they preceded to whip our butts pretty good the first two games, and they seemed to be consistently good the rest of the way. I'm not saying that series was the major factor, but it seems from that point forward the Giants started peaking, while the Reds were never the same after that series. Just coincidence?

nmculbreth
11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I think it is purely coincidental. San Francisco benefitted from the Padres coming back to Earth and that the playoff format favors teams with good front end starting pitching, which they had in Lincecum and Cain.

malcontent
11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Seems like we might have helped.

I do believe we helped to keep the Phillies over-confident (heading into the NLCS).

webbbj
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
i think we all look to far into things like this. i kinda think players dont really think like this at all.

New York Red
11-03-2010, 12:12 AM
i think we all look to far into things like this. i kinda think players dont really think like this at all.
I wasn't suggesting the players thought that way at the time. My post was more a comment on what happened to the two teams beginning with that series - and after that series. It may have been a coincidence, but I think it was probably a difference in talent, which wasn't as evident at the time.