PDA

View Full Version : Yanks FO disses the Reds in Jeter negotiations

Reverend Doo-Rag
11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
"Tell him the deal is three years at $15 million a year, take it or leave it," the person taking the hard-line approach said. "Wait him out and he'll wind up taking it. Where's he gonna go, Cincinnati?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5819502

'69
11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
^ Like those small-fry chumps in Cincinnati could afford him. ;);)

I guess this club is the epitome of small market.

bounty37h
11-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I hope we just hold that card and play it when the Yanks wanna trade with us someday.

Vottomatic
11-18-2010, 10:16 AM
We can't all have $400 million payrolls. :rolleyes:

$15M is nothing to them.

Go ahead, Yankees........buy another postseason run.

DocRed
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
$15 million is even way to much. I think he is worth maybe $8-$10 for 2 years (and that's prol too much and assuming he will bounce back from last years numbers), but that is you are team not named the Yankees.

Red in Atl
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't it be great though if Jeter just decided to say [edit] the Yankees and did sign with Cincy. It would be a full circle thing. We passed on Jeter to take Chad Mottola back in the day. Let's make up for that mistake - but of course not at $15 M a year.

Could Derek's Post Season experience, get us over the hump?

Krawhitham
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Wouldn't it be great though if Jeter just decided to say [edit] the Yankees and did sign with Cincy. It would be a full circle thing. We passed on Jeter to take Chad Mottola back in the day. Let's make up for that mistake - but of course not at $15 M a year.

Could Derek's Post Season experience, get us over the hump?

What having an aging SS with no range or bat last season was not enough for you

nmculbreth
11-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't take the comments as a slight against the Reds, or even the city of Cincinnati, but rather as an astute observation about the lack of options facing Jeter.

From a purely baseball perspective, Jeter could certainly find another job but I don't think there is any other team that would be willing to match even lowball offer from the Yankees. He obviously has a lot of intangible value for the Yankee organization but the fact of the matter is that he is a 36 year old SS with limited range and he is coming off of his worst statistical season ever.

Completely aside from the baseball aspect, I just can't see a guy like Jeter ever leaving the NYC spotlight for a backwater town like Cincinnati (or for that matter any city outside of LA or Miami). He's the king of New York and has a well known penchant for dating A-list models and actresses, can you honestly imagine him packing up shop and relocating? I have my doubts.

On a related note, the ongoing contract negotiations between Jeter and the Yankees is so fascinating because both sides realize that the other party needs them just as much as they need the other party. The only real drama is to see which side caves.

arkimadee
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not offended.

Red in Atl
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
What having an aging SS with no range or bat last season was not enough for you

You doubt'in on Derek Jeter? Do you watch baseball? That boy came in on a WS victory and he'll go out on one. Maybe Chad Motolla could carry his jock...oops too heavy! :p:

mlh1981
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Watch out Yankees.

No team has ever won a World Series with a 37-year old (or older) starting shortstop.

swaisuc
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
FWIW, On Mike and Mike this morning they asked Buster Olney who Jeter would look at if the Yankees fell through. The first team mentioned was the Reds and needing a SS.

TheBigLebowski
11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Let those morons overpay for that dude....unless some of the uglier, poorer or less-recognizable players on the team are taking his sloppy seconds, he'd be the most overpaid infielder in baseball at that price.

BEETTLEBUG
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Let those morons overpay for that dude....unless some of the uglier, poorer or less-recognizable players on the team are taking his sloppy seconds, he'd be the most overpaid infielder in baseball at that price.

Jeter to Reds aint happen in my life time.

Defacto
11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I think it would be interesting if Jeter became a Red. But I doubt it would happen.

webbbj
11-25-2010, 01:44 AM
what was the last offer the yanks gave jeter like 3yrs/45mil? theres no way the reds get this guy. unless he decides to sign a 1 yr 4 million offer w/ the reds just to spite the yankees which would be awesome and funny but aint happening.

kinda hard to believe tho that he 37 seems like just yesterday he was a 20 something winning a WS.

Hondo
11-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Reds could have Drafted Jeter, Took Chad Mottola instead.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?year_ID=1992&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round