11-28-2010, 10:01 PM
RIP

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20445526,00.html

Degenerate39
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Horrible news :(

oneupper
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I didn't know he was a REDS fan. Fantastic straight man.
RIP

WVPacman
11-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Just seen the news and he will difinitely be missed!!

redsfan1966
11-28-2010, 11:42 PM
I am truly saddened by this news as well...I was a huge fan of his "Airplane" & "Naked Gun" roles...of course the baseball scene in the "Naked Gun" is classic comedy cinema...Mr. Nielsen did some promos for Reds' Opening Day and WLW (produced by the talented Scott Stanley)...I hope I dont break any rules by posting this, but they are on Mr. Stanley's page; halfway down, titled "Opening Day with Leslie Nielsen"....
http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_scottstanley.html

RIP "Frank Drebin", you will be missed...

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
I remember him best as "Swamp Fox" from my childhood.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/swamp-fox.jpg

He will be missed...

RBA
11-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Surely, this cannot be true.

Sadly it is true and don't call me Shirley.

GAC
11-29-2010, 04:37 AM
I remember him best as "Swamp Fox" from my childhood.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/swamp-fox.jpg

Me too.

RedsBaron
11-29-2010, 06:42 AM
I hate to hear of his passing. Nielsen helped promote West Virginia and was named by the state as an honorary West Virginian in 2002. He responded by saying: "To have the privilege to come here and spend time in this beautiful state...you've going to give me a citation for that? Well, I'm not going to give it back."
Just last week I got on You Tube and showed a couple of my partners the opening credits of "Police Squad," Nielsen's wonderful, cancelled-too-soon, TV series that formed the basis of his later "Naked Gun" films.
R.I.P.

reds1869
11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I hate to hear of his passing. Nielsen helped promote West Virginia and was named by the state as an honorary West Virginian in 2002. He responded by saying: "To have the privilege to come here and spend time in this beautiful state...you've going to give me a citation for that? Well, I'm not going to give it back."
Just last week I got on You Tube and showed a couple of my partners the opening credits of "Police Squad," Nielsen's wonderful, cancelled-too-soon, TV series that formed the basis of his later "Naked Gun" films.
R.I.P.

He truly was a great ambassador for West Virginia. He will be missed.

RFS62
11-29-2010, 07:13 AM
I met him on Scarlett Oaks golf course in West Virginia years ago. He was in a foursome ahead of my friend and I, and they waved us through on a par 3.

He was there playing in a charity event.

Fantastic guy. I made the obligitory "surely that's not your golf swing" comment when we got through the hole. I imagine he's heard enough "surely" jokes in his lifetime. But he laughed and was as gracious and cool as could be.

Loved his work. He will be missed.

TheBigLebowski
11-29-2010, 07:39 AM
I can't believe he is gone.....a truly, truly funny man and by all accounts a great person. RIP LN.

cumberlandreds
11-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Very funny person that seemed to come naturally to him. Surely he will be missed. :(

OnBaseMachine
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Sad news. The umpiring scene in Naked Gun makes me laugh every time. RIP Leslie.

jimbo
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
One of my favorite comedic actors. I'm probably in the small minority who actually remember the short lived series "Police Squad," that led to the Naked Gun series. I loved the scenes where they would be having a shoot-out while hiding behind trash cans only a few feet apart. :laugh:

RIP

RichRed
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
One of my favorite comedic actors. I'm probably in the small minority who actually remember the short lived series "Police Squad," that led to the Naked Gun series. I loved the scenes where they would be having a shoot-out while hiding behind trash cans only a few feet apart. :laugh:

RIP

"Police Squad" was great. Having the special guest star killed during the opening credits every week was inspired.

RIP, Mr. Nielsen.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Best part of "Police Squad" was the fake freeze-frame at the end of every episode. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Blimpie
11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
YouTube - Nice Beaver! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faueBMiceHo)

RedsBaron
11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I loved the opening credits of "Police "Squad" which showed Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln, with Lincoln responding to being shot at while at Ford's Theater by whirling around and returning fire. I've read that had "Police Squad" made it to a second season plans were to replace "Lincoln" with "Gandhi" returning fire with a machine gun.

Joseph
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I adored Leslie Neilsen, I must have seen every silly comedy he's done in the last 25-30 years a dozen or more times each. I have never seen Police Squad, but obviously I loved the Naked Gun which was based on it. My affinity for his films made my wife absolutely despise him. She is not much of a slapstick type anyway, but I liked his films so much she just can't stand to watch any of them. She just cringes and leaves the room when one is on.

Anyway, RIP Leslie, I will miss you greatly.

11-29-2010, 05:48 PM

RIP

I liked the scene in which Nielson's character was working undercover as a locksmith. The keyboard behing him had a hook marked "Florida keys."

He picked a lock to get into the criminals office. The criminal walked in and caught him and asked who he was and how he got in. Neilson replied "I'm a locksmith, and I'm a locksmith."

durl
11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Police Squad was terrific. "In Color!"

My favorite scene from the Naked Gun movies was the first movie, when he's in his kitchen and he sniffs the take-out box from the restaurant that closed down "years ago." The look on his face as he drops to the floor makes me cry laughing every single time I see it.

Truly one-of-a-kind. He'll be missed.

edabbs44
11-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Loved this guy. RIP.

Heath
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I liked it when they brought him to do a promo for the Bengals first furay into Monday Night football in like 15 years.

YouTube - Monday Night Football Promo with Leslie Nielsen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHsNVXXlus&feature=player_embedded)

RIP Mr. Nielsen. You did a fine job, and we're all behind you.