PDA

View Full Version : Reds To Extend Bronson Arroyo

Hondo
12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Reds To Extend Bronson Arroyo
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 3 at 2:53pm CST]
The Reds agreed to a three-year, $35MM extension with Bronson Arroyo, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). The contract will cover the 2011-13 seasons.

Stabalizes the Rotation with a Guaranteed 220+ Innings... Good Move Walt.

Girevik
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
On one hand, I think the Reds have enough guys coming up that they could have let Arroyo go and use that money on a bat, but if those numbers are accurate that's a pretty reasonable salary for a guy with Arroyo's track record. I've got no complaings.

Does he have a no trade clause? I wonder if he might go on the block if some of the young guys show they're ready.

12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
On one hand, I think the Reds have enough guys coming up that they could have let Arroyo go and use that money on a bat, but if those numbers are accurate that's a pretty reasonable salary for a guy with Arroyo's track record. I've got no complaings.

Does he have a no trade clause? I wonder if he might go on the block if some of the young guys show they're ready.

I would think that he would demand one, since he's still sore that he signed an extension with the Red Sox, and then was traded right afterwards.

Decent, but not great deal for the Reds. Reports were that there was some deferred money. That will be the key to how smart it was.

Vottomatic
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I thought Arroyo would want more than that. So I'm happy with it.

Arroyo is becoming one of those rare guys who plays mostly for one team for most of his career. Kind of nice to see. I like Bronson. I think he's often unappreciated.

Good signing.

Reds
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice, Arroyo's consistency has made me into a fan over the past several seasons.

malcontent
12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm glad to see it. Rotation anchor.

SYCMiniBus
12-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Very fail deal IMO. It is basically a 2 year and 22 mil extension considering the option was already picked up earlier. What is key is that it isn't such a huge money drain even if he does suffer a one year injury, and it doesn't bring him past the age of 36.

Brisco
12-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I like the extension... I have no ability to judge whether Bronson is worth the money or not, but I believe it was important for the Reds to extend BA right now.

We just let the veteran of the rotation go in Harang. With him gone and BA in his last year, the Reds were suddenly looking at Cueto and Volquez being the salty dogs among the starters. Regardless of their pitching ability, neither of these two have shown the maturity to lead other players as of yet.

This extension makes BA the clear leader of the starters and i think this will take some pressure off the rest, allowing them to complete their development this coming year and prep them for a true coming out party in 2012. That is when i see BA being the opening day starter despite being the 5th best player in the rotation... and what a great day it will be.

gedred69
12-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Girevik, Vottomatic, Reds, I agree with you all. No one can intelligently doubt the worth of a guy who consistently throws 200+ innings with 15+ wins. As much of a fan as I am of Arroyo, I'm still a bit surprised when considering the volume of high promise young arms on the cusp of prominent MLB success. Makes me wonder one of a couple of things. First do the Reds know something we as fans don't know about one or two of these young guns? (Leake, Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Chapman). Has somebody already hit their ceiling? Or, does this mean one of them is to be the cornerstone of a major move? If the latter, I hope they trade the Gentry, instead of the Nolan Ryan......

FlightRick
12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
To whomever asked:

No no-trade clause is included. But unless the Reds suddenly pulled an about-face and decided to move him next season, it's a moot point. At the conclusion of 2011, if he's still a Red, Arroyo has 10/5 rights and can veto any trade.

Rick

arkimadee
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought Bronson was not going to sign for a discount. Guess a little winning will change anyones mind. I'm very happy with this news!

Sean_CaseyRules
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm very happy also. Bronson is a workhorse for us, and definitely deserves to be the Opening Day starter, with Harang gone now. He's been the most solid pitcher for at least the last 2 seasons.

mckbearcat48
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Solid move. Arroyo is the one Reds starter that I as a Cardinals fan worry about every time he takes the mound. I was hoping that the Cards would get him...but he took the smart money and stayed right where he was.

webbbj
12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
nice to see. im shocked at how cheap we got him. i think he coulda got like 3yr/45mil type money. glad tho.

SYCMiniBus
12-04-2010, 12:54 AM
This is virtually the same deal that the Rockies just have Jorge De La Rosa.

Here would be the comparison of their 2010 stats...

Arroyo: 33 years old, 215 IP, 3.88 ERA, 5.0 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 1.145 WHIP

De La Rosa: 29 years old, 121.2 IP, 4.22 ERA, 8.4 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, 1.315 WHIP

Now of course other factors can go into those numbers, with IP being the biggest difference between the two. If indeed you are of the opinion that the De La Rosa deal sets the market, then the Reds made a good decision on this one.

MikeThierry
12-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Solid move. Arroyo is the one Reds starter that I as a Cardinals fan worry about every time he takes the mound. I was hoping that the Cards would get him...but he took the smart money and stayed right where he was.

While I wouldn't want the Cards to get him because they have enough good quality arms, I agree with you about the Cards facing him every time. He just seems to do things on the mound the frustrate the Cards at times. I wouldn't want him over Westbrooke or Garcia but he seems to be one of those guys who is a thorn in the side of players when they face him.

scott91575
12-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I am not the biggest fan of this. I was all for picking up his option to have another year to allow the young arms to shake out. Yet I think this money could be used elsewhere in 2012 and 2013.

He does have a rubber arm, and can put up decent numbers. Yet I am not too sure about it. At least it's still only 3 years. I was really worried they were going to do a 4 or 5 year deal. So I suppose it could have been worse, yet still not a fan of this.

Krawhitham
12-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Arroyo is going to be the most hated man in Cincinnati during 2013

He makes 18 million in 2013

6.5 2011
7.5 2012
18 2013

Quatitos
12-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Arroyo is going to be the most hated man in Cincinnati during 2013

He makes 18 million in 2013

6.5 2011
7.5 2012
18 2013

Per: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com

3 years/$35M (2011-13)
signed extension with Cincinnati 12/4/10, reworking option year in previous contract
$15M deferred without interest, paid through 2021, reducing present-day AAV to $28.9M
11:$6.5M, 12:$7M, 13:$6.5M
if traded, deferrals are voided and paid up-front

I don't know when the deferred payments start, but he won't be making much more in 2013 than he did in 2012 and 2011.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I Love it. Bronson took a back end deal to help the Reds re sign Hernandez and Cairo.

Awesome!

:thumbdown

Quatitos
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Stabalizes the Rotation with a Guaranteed 220+ Innings... Good Move Walt.

I Love it. Bronson took a back end deal to help the Reds re sign Hernandez and Cairo.

Awesome!

:thumbdown

I like the flip flopping, have you now become a Walt hater or something and have to show your discontent for it in any way possible :cry. Or do you just really hate Hernandex and Cairo :deadhorse

Hondo
12-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I like the flip flopping, have you now become a Walt hater or something and have to show your discontent for it in any way possible :cry. Or do you just really hate Hernandex and Cairo :deadhorse

You really do not comprehend anything I type do you?

Try and "grasp" this...

Arroyo took deferred payments to help the Reds with payroll to improve the team... I Love that the Reds extended Arroyo.

I was saying that Arroyo took the deferred payments to "help" the Reds improve and I would think that money saved would have went to adding a LF or SS to strengthen 1 of the 3 weakness the Reds have...

The 2 main weakness being SS and LF.

I was not be contradictive or inconsistant on that...

I would think the Money would have been better spent adding something to improvve the team rather than the 4 Million committed to Hernadez & Cairo. It only nets 3.2 Million but that is 3.2 Million that could have been spent elsewhere....

Please don't be so short minded. :) Merry Christmas...