PDA

View Full Version : Favorite baseball moments

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 02:32 AM
I would like to know what are everyone's favorite baseball moments. Mine would have to be (i'll add video links):

Watching Bengie Molina go for the cycle. I was watching the MLB Network when I saw it. Mitch Williams stated before they went live "The only triple that Molina is going to get is a triple from Wendy's". Next thing I know, the Boston outfielder botched the play and Bengie (slower than Yadi) chugging along into third. I laughed so hard at that.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100716&content_id=12308004&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Doc Halladay no hitting the Reds in game 1. Its not because the Reds beat the Cardinals. That was just baseball history and it was exciting to watch.

Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in the same inning off the same pitcher. This is something that will never happen again in MLB History. It was amazing to see that a guy with average to no power hit 2 hrs in Dodger stadium. I still feel somewhat bad for Chan Ho Park. May have been the craziest thing I have seen in baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3297525

Pujols lunar shot against Brad Lidge in the 2005 NLCS. What was amazing about it is that Brad Lidge that year had the intimidation factor. Lidge at the time may have been one of the most dominant closers in the game. Nobody could figure him out. He had 42 saves that year with an ERA of 2.29. The Cards were close to being eliminated and Pujols comes up with 2 outs. The dude just hits probably the farthest home run I have ever seen. I think it is still going out of the ball park. Saved the day for the Cardinals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=455632&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05nlcs_gm5_slnhou_pujols_3runhr_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/17/slnmlb-houmlb-1&curl=custom_context/ps/y2005/lcs_b.jsp&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2

Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS. This has to be the best game I have ever seen. This game went back and fourth. The catch that Chavez made against Rolen is still one of the more clutch catches in playoff history. Tied in the ninth at 1, the unlikely Yadi Molina hits a 2 run homerun. Then in the bottom of the 9th, Wainwright comes in to close out the game. He gives up two singles but manages to scratch out two outs. However, he walks a man and loads the bases for Carlos Beltran. Carlos Beltran previously just killed the Cardinals. Wainwright gets him 0-2 and with his devastating curve ball, gets Beltran looking. Cardinals go on to win the World Series that year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=522804&w=2006/open/tp/archive10/101906_slnnyn_cards_last_out_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2006/10/19/slnmlb-nynmlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2

bounty37h
12-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not famialiar with Benji's cycyle, but if the outfielder botched it, shoouldnt it have been an error, therefor not a true triple, thus not really the cycle? Honest question, as said, didnt see it or know anything about it really

will5979
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I was born in 79 so here is the events that I remember well.

1. Pete Rose breaking Cobb's record 1985.
2. Cincinnati winning the NLCS vs. Pittsburgh 1990, I was in the Red seats!
3. Cincinnati winning the World Series vs. Oakland 1990.
4. 91 great moments in 2010 a few being Jay Bruce's walkoff to clinch the NL Central vs. Houston, The Civil Rights game vs. St.L, Volquez's return vs. Colorado, Gomes game winning RBI vs. St.L with the infamous staredown, Votto's HR on my birthday to beat the Cubs, and Joey Votto winning the MVP.
5. The NL winning the 1994 AS Game cause I won 50.00!
6. The 1986 Mets coming back to beat the Red Sox in Game 6 and 7.
7. The 96 Yankees beating the Braves in the World Series to basically take away the Braves claim of "Team of the 90s." :barf:
8. Seeing the 2003 Cubs choke away their pennant in Games 6/7.
9. Aaron Boone's walkoff against the Red Sox to give the Yanks the pennant.
10.Barry Larkin becoming the first ever 30/30 SS and winning the MVP.

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not famialiar with Benji's cycyle, but if the outfielder botched it, shoouldnt it have been an error, therefor not a true triple, thus not really the cycle? Honest question, as said, didnt see it or know anything about it really

They ruled it a triple. It was a hard ball to get at anyway. Check out the video above, quite funny.

Hondo
12-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Pine Tar Game, Brett in New York arguing and attacking the Umpires...

bounty37h
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Honestly, most of my fav baseball memories are games I played, or things/time/frineds/family spent at games, not the actual game usually. One thing that does pop in my head is not game related, but Josh Hamiltons HR Derby performance was one of the most exciting thigns I will alwyas remember. I actually got to sit next to the guy that pitched to him at a Mudcats game a few years agoo and had a blast talking with him about that.

MikeThierry
12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
One other moment I forgot was the 1998 home run chase. Yeah I know in retrospect it was tainted but damn it... it was fun as heck to watch.

MikeThierry
12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
By the way, I was watching the MLB network and they are trying to decide the 20 best games of all time. On the list of 50 games, the 2006 NLCS game 7 was on that list. It was the best game, according to MLB network, in 2006. If you want to vote for the 20 best games of all time, you can go to their website and select.

Tadasimha
12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
In chronological order, these are my favorite moments from the Reds that I saw on television:

'85 Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's record
'88 Tom Browning's perfect game
'90 Reds sweep the A's

In person, it was a random game against the Cubs at Riverfront that a friend and I decided to go to on a whm, where we bought scalped tickets and ended up fourth row right behind 3rd base and Aaron Boone won the game with a walk-off home run. One excellent day at the park.

gedred69
12-18-2010, 12:44 AM
As a kid, during the '61 season, watching Willie Mays hit a smash to left field and Frank Robinson surprisingly backing off immediately to play the ball off the wall to hold Mays to a single.

Sitting with my Dad in '76, the bottom of the 9th of game 2 of the World Series and watching Perez come to the plate after an intentional walk was issued to---I forget, either Foster or Morgan I think. The stare down between Catfish Hunter and Perez before the game winning hit was electric.

Chaperoning a bunch of extremely rowdy 5-7 year olds at a Kids glove game and suddenly having a moment to realize in the 9th, Ron Robinson was on the verge of a perfect game.

During the '90 season, sitting in RF, seeing O'Neil hit a ball so hard that the Right fielder never even took his hands off his Knees. (Instead of running to grab the trophy people were scrambling to get the H-ll out of the way!

Sitting with my out of town Brother and watching Bruce clinch the 2010 Central title.

mroby85
12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
1) By far would be the Jay Bruce walkoff against Houston for me to clinch the division.

2) Adam Dunns grand slam in the bottom of 9 against Cleveland.

3) Civil Rights game vs. St. Louis when it ended on a play at the plate.

4) Game we were at against philadelphia when Scott Hatteberg hit a HR with 2 outs in the 9th against Philadelphia, and Brandon Phillips won the game for them in the 10th.