PDA

View Full Version : Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2010, 01:01 AM
We've had a lot of movie discussions centralized into one location, but I've noticed a distinct lack of chatter about television on the board (which I presume most people own, considering how much complaining went on about George Grande's FSN telecasts).

Time to remedy that. Post here discussing shows you're watching, show's you want to recommend, and to discuss episodes of said shows.

I'll start with a huge disappointment: Top Gear - American Edition

I've been a huge fan of the original BBC "Top Gear" for several years now, and it pains me to report how awful the American version is. At it's best moments, it's a (shockingly) low-budget knock-off of the original and lacks any of the charm or sense of fun. The hosts of the show have absolutely zero chemistry with one another, and all of the witty banter that makes the BBC version so entertaining comes off as forced here. The only guy who feels "real" on the show is Adam Ferrara, and they don't let him do nearly enough. Instead, they've handed off the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" interview to this personality-less hack who spends the entire show with an annoying "Golly, I'm thrilled just to be here on TV" grin plastered to his face.

The show is just crap. If it lasts a full season and gets renewed, I might check it out again next year to see if they've fixed any of the problems, but until then I'll just stick to Top Gear reruns on BBC America.

thatcoolguy_22
12-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm not much into TV unrelated to sports, but I just heard HBO is making a series for the Game of Thrones series of books. If its done as well as most HBO series it will be amazing and win multiple awards from whoever it is that gives them out for television.

I have never seen BBC Top Gear, but saw an episode of the american version on my late shift the other day. Ididn't think it was that bad. One of the guys took an EVO to the top of a mountain and raced some skiers down it (snow drifting!). I was impressed. I'm big into cars and driving, the banter back and forth is not the deal breaker for me.

reds1869
12-16-2010, 05:36 AM
If you haven't checked out AMC's The Walking Dead do so immediately. I have watched the first half of the season (I rarely watch shows live, I usually DVR the whole season and binge).

RedsBaron
12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Other than sports I watch very little prime time offerings on the major TV networks. My wife has finally got me to watch "NCIS" with her and I have enjoyed it, in part because I was a David McCallum fan 40+ years ago :eek: in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." We have also started watching "Raising Hope" which is off the wall silly.

12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I think WEEDS is the funniest show I've ever seen.

edabbs44
12-16-2010, 08:22 AM
The League has quickly become one of my favs.

Redsfan320
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I did watch 24, now House, Lie to Me, NCIS (but not NCIS: LA), and L&O: SVU.

Sweetstop
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
current favorites..in treatment, breaking bad, the good wife

i agree, raising hope and weeds are both a hoot, rb and 919191.

Scrap Irony
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Big Band Theory is our personal favorite. (My wife sees old college friends-- I see our Academic and Beta Club members.

We're still watching Two and a Half Men and The Office wheeze by, along with 30 Rock. (That's a pretty smart show.)

Chuck has also been one of my favorites for a couple years and Walking Dead was great this season (though, just after this point, the comic got a little repetitive and I don't see how they can continue to hold a large audience's attention.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
The League has quickly become one of my favs.I highly recomend this as well. it's one you have to watch a couple episodes to "get it" but I have watched them all atleast twice. They are on-demand now too so if you have missed any their free game. Paul Scheer's character Andre is absolutely hilarious, and Nick Kroll is great as Ruxin. When I first started watching this nobody that I asked about it had ever heard of it. Weeks later those same people were quoting it in public and naming their fantasy teams after it. I was a little conscerned it wouldn't stick but hopefully I'm wrong.

Eric_the_Red
12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I love "Big Bang Theory" and "The Middle". I try to catch "30 Rock", "Parks and Rec", "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" when I can.

We don't get to watch a lot of tv though. I usually watch some Mike & Mike or Sportscenter in the morning for 5-10 minutes, and NFL games or Reds games.

Roy Tucker
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
"The Good Wife" has turned out to be a great show. I thought it would be a one-trick pony, but its got great writing, great characters, and a great ensemble cast and a multi-threaded plot line that is fascinating.

Love "The Middle", "Modern Family" and "Cougar Town". The latter has got the worst name of any show, but its turned out to be pretty funny. Another good ensemble cast, good writing, and oddball and goofy humor. Plus they drink a *lot* of wine.

Also love the AMC shows "Mad Men" (when does it come back?), "Breaking Bad" (up there with The Good Wife for best show on TV), and "The Walking Dead".

Edit: and re-reading this thread, I second RedBaron's endorsement of "Raising Hope". The most dysfunctionally funny show around.

Joseph
12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
The Walking Dead is great. Keep seeing it.

BuckeyeRed27
12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I watch a pretty healthy amount of TV.

My favorites are Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, Friday Night Lights, Modern Family, Top Chef, How I Met Your Mother and White Collar.

I watch some other shows like 30 Rock, Office, Parks and Big Bang too.

I will also echo that The Walking Dead is pretty great.

Chip R
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Also love the AMC shows "Mad Men" (when does it come back?)

Late summer, 2011.

I never miss an episode of Mad Men. I still watch The Office - and they have been showing the UK version on Cartoon Network early Saturday mornings as of late. Watched The Good Guys up through the (hopefully) season finale last Friday. I DVR Castle but my mind kind of wanders after the first 20 minutes or so. I've also watched the syndicated version of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I don't like it as much as some but I think it's pre-tty, pre-tty good.

Since I have DirecTv, I get to see the last season of Friday Night Lights on the 101 Network before it airs on NBC next year. Wonderful show. They have also been showing The Wire on the 101 as well. I can see why everyone said it was so good. I'm almost through Season 2 and I'm as hooked on it as Bubbs is on smack. Idris Elba was amazing.

Justified - with Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant - is coming back to FX in February. I'll also be watching V when it comes back in January, although that's mainly for my girlfriend.

pedro
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Love "The Middle", "Modern Family" and "Cougar Town". The latter has got the worst name of any show, but its turned out to be pretty funny. Another good ensemble cast, good writing, and oddball and goofy humor. Plus they drink a *lot* of wine.

I like those, I also like "How I met your mother"

RichRed
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
"Modern Family"
"The Good Guys"
"Walking Dead"
"Breaking Bad"

All of these are great. I've read some pretty harsh reviews of "The Good Guys" and I just don't get it. I think Bradley Whitford is hilarious as the '70s throwback detective with the Trans Am and killer 'stache (no wonder Chip likes it :D).

Also watched a couple episodes of "Blue Bloods" because my mother-in-law likes it and I was pleasantly surprised. Donnie Wahlberg does a pretty good job.

Razor Shines
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Before this season I would have told everyone to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but this season sucked. It could have been one of a hundred garbage network tv shows.

The League is pretty good. Loved The Walking Dead. Breaking Bad and Justified are must sees when thy come back. As well as Tosh.0.

I think the Office is the last network tv show ill ever watch, not even sure why we keep watching it.

Edit: I forgot Family Guy, that's a network tv show I watch.

TRF
12-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Psych, Burn Notice, Leverage, White Collar, Lie to Me, Stargate Universe.

Psych may be the greatest show ever. Last week's episode featured Ralph Macchio as police academy instructor. Countless jokes about the police academy movies and ton's of karate kid references.

TRF
12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Oh, and I loathe Family Guy.

I do love South Park though, so go figure.

IslandRed
12-16-2010, 05:55 PM
My TV watching in recent years has narrowed itself down to sports, local news and "Lost," and now the latter is gone, but the missus has been watching "Criminal Minds" re-runs lately and it's pretty good.

foxfire123
12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
My "never miss" show is Big Bang Theory. It's my "Don't call, don't come to the door, etc because I'm not going to answer any of them" show. It's also probably pretty sad that I already have the Season 4 DVD on pre-order.

Also a big fan of *bleep* My Dad Says, NCIS (both) and Criminal Minds.

We watch a lot of stuff on TLC, History Channel, Discovery, etc.

RichRed
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh, and I loathe Family Guy.

I do love South Park though, so go figure.

Makes perfect sense. South Park exposed the dirty secret that Family Guy is written by manatees.

Homer Bailey
12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't miss:
How I met your Mother
The League
Dexter

Watch when I can:
The Office
Always Sunny
Breaking Bad (halfway thru season 2)
Entourage
Weeds (I'm wayyyy behind)

Redsfan320
12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Also a big fan of...NCIS (both)

Huge fan of the original, tried to watch LA a few times, the individual episode story-lines are often awesome, but the chemistry between the characters seems really crappy to me. Oh well.

BuckeyeRed27
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Huge fan of the original, tried to watch LA a few times, the individual episode story-lines are often awesome, but the chemistry between the characters seems really crappy to me. Oh well.

I've never watched the show, but they film a lot of it very close to where I live. I see LL Cool J about once a week when I run just hanging out, usually talking to fairly attractive locals.

Strikes Out Looking
12-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Here's the list -- The Wire. Watch it either On Demand or DVD. All other shows will pale in comparison, past, present and forevermore. And be careful, Omar is coming...

Redsfaithful
12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I've been rewatching The Wire on the 101 on DirecTV. I think it's honestly a show I'll watch over and over for the rest of my life every few years.

Other than that I watch The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Louie, Tosh.0, Friday Night Lights. Used to watch True Blood and Dexter but missed the latest seasons of both. Also watch some reality TV with the wife (Survivor sometimes, The Biggest Loser). I wouldn't do that without a DVR, the commercials and filler are insane. Parks and Rec is the only sitcom I watch I think, but it's amazing. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

I wish HBO would get back to making great tv. I watched the first few episodes of Boardwalk Empire and it didn't grab me, but I'll probably give it another try. Looking forward to Game of Thrones though.

RFS62
12-17-2010, 06:18 AM
You didn't like Boardwalk Empire?

That's my favorite show right now. Brilliant writing, sets, performances..... fantastic period piece on an incredible tme in history.

Also watch Entourage, Breaking Bad, Weeds, and Mad Men, which I think is also incredible, but not much else besides sports, movies and discovery and history channels.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I've been a big "Community" fan since it's debut as well. The recent stop-motion Christmas special was fantastic.

RichRed
12-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been a big "Community" fan since it's debut as well. The recent stop-motion Christmas special was fantastic.

I like "Community" a lot too. It can be hit-or-miss but when it's funny, it's downright hilarious.

Redsfaithful
12-17-2010, 02:59 PM
You didn't like Boardwalk Empire?

That's my favorite show right now. Brilliant writing, sets, performances..... fantastic period piece on an incredible tme in history.

I don't know, it's weird, I enjoyed it but then when it was time to choose what to watch we'd always pick something else, and so episodes piled up on the DVR. With two small kids we can't marathon through something like we used to, so it's something I'll have to revisit later.

remdog
12-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Burn Notice

Leverage

White Collar

NCIS---both versions. Love Abby (Pauley Perrette) and glad to see she's got a national commercial running (for Expedia, I think) that sort of plays off of the 'Abby' character. NCIS/LA just needs a little time to mature, I think/hope.

I still watch many of the 'Law & Order' series whether they are reruns or not. 'L&A, Los Angeles' is starting to grow on me.

Criminal Minds

Chuck. Although it seems to me that it's declined this season.

Numbers. As stats heavy as this board is I'm sort of surprised it isn't a big fav. ;)

Rem

remdog
12-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Forgot to mention 'Hot In Cleveland'. Betty White, Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves (Frazier), Wendy Malick (Just Shoot Me).

Second season starts 1/19/11 on TV Land Network. Worth at least tapeing if you're watching something else at the time.

Synopsis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_in_Cleveland

Rem

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Caught the Caps/Pens 24-7 show that HBO is running as a build-up to the Winter Classic. Fun stuff. Kind of like a Hard Knocks for the NHL.

RiverRat13
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Sons of Anarchy/Justified/Rescue Me are all on at different times of the year, so it is easy to follow all of them.

The Office is past its prime although I will say the last two episodes were very good. I have high hopes that since Steve Carrell is leaving, the writers will be able to send him out with a bang.

I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire. I thought it improved as the season progressed.

I don't have Showtime, but I have watched three seasons of Californication, almost three seasons of Weeds and Dexter, and two seasons of The Tudors through Netflix. I have enjoyed each series, especially Dexter and Californication.

I keep promising myself I will get around to watching The Wire. I really wish it was available to watch instantly on Netflix.

HBO hasn't been able to match the early to mid 2000s (loved both Carnivale and Deadwood), but I still enjoy Entourage (not as good as the first few seasons, but what show is?), Boardwalk Empire and have high hopes for Game of Thrones . True Blood is excellent. My wife watches Big Love, which is so over the top I can't stand it.

Walking Dead was good. Mad Men may be my favorite show. I bailed on Breaking Bad after the first season. I might have to catch back up on it eventually.

Burn Notice is a show I will watch when I find it flipping through the channels.

Nothing will replace Lost.

GIK
12-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Love F/X, so I'll echo the Sons of Anarchy, Justified, and Rescue Me comment above. I'll also add It's Always Sunny, The League, and Archer.

Psych is a favorite of mine, as well as the ususal HBO fare (True Blood, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire), along with Mad Men (and, yes, The Walking Dead).

I'll also toss in The Big Bang Theory and I can't forget Smallville.

bucksfan2
12-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Love F/X, so I'll echo the Sons of Anarchy, Justified, and Rescue Me comment above. I'll also add It's Always Sunny, The League, and Archer.

Psych is a favorite of mine, as well as the ususal HBO fare (True Blood, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire), along with Mad Men (and, yes, The Walking Dead).

I'll also toss in The Big Bang Theory and I can't forget Smallville.

My wife and I have been watching all of Mad Men over the course of a couple of months. We joined Netflix (and yes it would be great to instantly stream those, The Wire is up next) and have been plowing our way through Mad Men.

The Big Bang Theory is my favorite sitcom on TV now.

I also watch How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, as well as The Office.

BuckeyeRed27
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I find it interesting that large number of people posting in this thread like so many of the same types of shows.

Most of the shows tend to be cable shows with fairly high critical acclaim, yet lower ratings. Most be something with the internet message board crowd...or maybe the overall smartness of Reds fans.

ABEsolutely
12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
The only shows that my wife and I watch are the Thursday NBC shows. My favorite is Parks and Recreation (after I didn't like it at all in the beginning). The Office is the only reason we ever started tuning in (if you can call Hulu "tuning in"). It's still OK I guess. But new Parks and Rec comes Jan 20!
Andy rocks btw...

Blimpie
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM
If you haven't checked out AMC's The Walking Dead do so immediately. I have watched the first half of the season (I rarely watch shows live, I usually DVR the whole season and binge).I could not agree more....

I was caught completely off guard with this show. Of course, the content is beyond graphic and should not be viewed by those who are young. However, the casting was phenomenal and the writing was top notch.

While they have already confirmed that the show will return for a second season, unfortunately, it sounds like most of this season's writers will not be back for the second run.

Redsfaithful
12-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I bailed on Breaking Bad after the first season. I might have to catch back up on it eventually.

Oh you totally should. It gets so much better, and that's really saying something because I thought the first season was great.

Blimpie
12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
HBO hasn't been able to match the early to mid 2000s (loved both Carnivale and Deadwood), but I still enjoy Entourage (not as good as the first few seasons, but what show is?), Boardwalk Empire and have high hopes for Game of Thrones . True Blood is excellent. My wife watches Big Love, which is so over the top I can't stand it.I absolutely loved this show and hate that it was so short-lived on HBO.

Clancy Brown is an amazingly underrated actor... and NOT because he is the voice of Mr. Krabs on Spongebob, either.

:cool:

Razor Shines
12-20-2010, 05:07 PM
DP

Razor Shines
12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I could not agree more....

I was caught completely off guard with this show. Of course, the content is beyond graphic and should not be viewed by those who are young. However, the casting was phenomenal and the writing was top notch.

While they have already confirmed that the show will return for a second season, unfortunately, it sounds like most of this season's writers will not be back for the second run.

Only some of the writing staff is leaving but the main guy Darabont will be back for the second season and he was only supposed to do the first season then his right hand man was supposed to take over.

RiverRat13
12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I absolutely loved this show and hate that it was so short-lived on HBO.

Clancy Brown is an amazingly underrated actor... and NOT because he is the voice of Mr. Krabs on Spongebob, either.

:cool:

Clancy's hometown is Urbana, Ohio, where I've lived for the past 11 years. He actually just gave the commencement address at Urbana University two weekends ago. He broke out Mr. Krabs at the end. His father Bud was a U.S. Rep for 18 years and his mother is a great lady. They've done a lot for this community.

Carnivale was great. I was ticked it didn't get another season, especially with how crazy the end of the second season turned out.

foxfire123
12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I could not agree more....

I wanted to watch this series, but missed the first episode and was later warned about a rather graphic scene involving a horse, so I've never watched it. I knew hurting an animal like that, and *especially* a horse, would turn me off the whole show.

So if I ever watch the series, the first episode is a "must not see" for me.

Razor Shines
12-21-2010, 12:29 AM
I wanted to watch this series, but missed the first episode and was later warned about a rather graphic scene involving a horse, so I've never watched it. I knew hurting an animal like that, and *especially* a horse, would turn me off the whole show.

So if I ever watch the series, the first episode is a "must not see" for me.

You know that zombies didn't actually eat a horse alive, right?

foxfire123
12-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, I know I was told it was still something that someone who knows me quite well said I would hate. So, I'm just safer not trying to watch that particular episode! lol!

Roy Tucker
12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, I know I was told it was still something that someone who knows me quite well said I would hate. So, I'm just safer not trying to watch that particular episode! lol!

That episode was entitled "Guts" which pretty well captures the central theme of that show. It was an hour-long "ewwwwwwww aaaawwwwww oh jeez yeccchhh" kind of thing.

HeatherC1212
12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, just to liven up this thread with some new viewing, I can post my list of current fave shows. I don't have all the cable channels so most of the stuff I watch is on regular TV and be warned....I'm female so there's plenty of guilty pleasure, soap style shows on my list, LOL :laugh:

#1 Fave Current Show: Friday Night Lights (best show on TV IMO)

Show I Miss Like Crazy: Lost :(

Show I'm Most Looking Forward to Coming Back in 2011: FNL (don't have Direct TV) and V (returns in January :))

New Show I Want to See: Off the Map

Other Current Fave Shows: Chuck, Hawaii Five-O, Glee, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice (probably one of my fave shows right now due to some great current stories), Brothers & Sisters (I gave up on Desperate Housewives....I do have my limits and they've gone way overboard lately. :p: )

Show I Watch When I Can: The Event (meh, it's not holding my attention much anymore), Law & Order: SVU, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

Hillsdale87
12-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Chuck -first 2 seasons are phenomenal, not quite the same quality, but still very good

Psych - I love Shawn's dry, sarcastic humor.

The Big Bang Theory - I just recently started watching this, but I have caught up. Sheldon is probably the funniest character on network TV

Modern Family - I think this is the funniest show on TV. Every character is funny.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Seasons 1 and 2 were incredible. Great writing. Not nearly as good anymore, but I still enjoy watching it.

White Collar

House

Caveat Emperor
12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Seasons 1 and 2 were incredible. Great writing. Not nearly as good anymore, but I still enjoy watching it.

I cannot get into this show. The characters all annoy the everliving crap out of me. Tons of people I know swear by it, though.

Puffy
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
My wife has finally got me to watch "NCIS" with her and I have enjoyed it, in part because I was a David McCallum fan 40+ years ago :eek: in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

My Golden Retriever is named LeRoy Jethro Gibbs. I call him Jethro for short.

Razor Shines
01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I wasn't old enough when it was on the air and my parents didn't have HBO. But I stayed up way too late watching the Larry Sanders Show marathon on IFC last night. It's great, I'd seen an episode here and there but never took time to see a bunch of them.

Sweetstop
01-03-2011, 08:58 AM
dream on is another early funny hbo series.

Caveat Emperor
01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
New guilty pleasure -- "The Police Women of Cincinnati."

New York Red
01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
There are basically only two shows I make a point to watch every week - 'Modern Family' and 'Cougar Town'. Both are hilarious. Enjoyed the first season of 'Justified' also, and looking forward to season two. I mostly watch sports and news televison, other than the above shows or if I'm just surfing. Also am "forced" to watch a few shows with the g/f (Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Greys Anatomy, etc) in exchange for getting the big screen TV for my important ballgames (UK basketball, Bengals/Reds, and many others). It's a trade I'm more than willing to make.

Reds Fanatic
01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
My favorite current shows are all AMC shows. Breaking Bad is my favorite and I also like the Walking Dead. I am also just getting caught up on Mad Men. I never watched it originally but Amazon had a great deal with each of the first 3 seasons on Blu Ray for $9.99 so I am catching up and that is a great show too.

I also like Friday Night Lights, Boardwalk Empire and Modern Family.

My favorite all time show is The Wire. I watched it when it first came out. I also own the DVDs and I have been rewatching it as Directv has been showing every episode from season 1 on each Sunday night. They are currently up to season 3. I don't rewatch many shows but The Wire is so great I could watch it over and over.

BuckeyeRed27
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I watched the pilots of "The Cape" and "Off the Map" and that will probably be the last episode I watch of each.

foxfire123
01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone watch Harry's Law last night? I liked it. It's quirky, and Kathy Bates is fun to watch. About as "real" legal as LA Law or Law and Order, but I thought it was worth watching.

reds1869
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm really digging The Cape and have Harry's Law on the DVR but haven't watched it yet.

remdog
01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I watched Harry's Law and enjoyed it. And yes, the producer/writer, David E. Kelley did write for LA Law.

Kelley is actually a lawyer turned screenwriter who went on from LA Law to do shows like The Practice, Ali McBeal, Boston Legal and others.

Kelley played college hockey at Princeton and his dad was once the head coach of the New England Whalers. Because Kelley spent a lot of time in New England in his earlier days a lot of his settings involve the area but Harry's Law is (supposedly) set in Cincinnati and has a number of background/location shots of the Queen City. The biggest problem for the show may be that NBC, supposedly, only ordered 6 episodes and it's not in the best time-slot. We'll see if it makes it.

BTW, Kelley is married to Michelle Pfeiffer. I'd say he's done OK.

Rem

MWM
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Because of this thread, I've watched the first couple of seasons of Rescue Me on Netflix live streaming. Great show. I'm looking forward to catching up.

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Because of this thread, I've watched the first couple of seasons of Rescue Me on Netflix live streaming. Great show. I'm looking forward to catching up.

Great show. It makes up for the fact that Leary's previous TV vehicle -- the brilliant but canceled "The Job" -- never got a fair shake.

Roy Tucker
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
So, I'm a little surprised nobody else has mentioned "The Good Wife". Does anyone else like this show besides me? I do think its one of the best shows on the air (or wire) now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012102948.html

Sweetstop
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
my hand is raised high and both my thumbs are up for "the good wife", mr. tucker.

with wow writing and an ensemble cast to die for, it sets the standard for consistent quality on network television today.

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm almost up to date with Breaking Bad. Highly reccommend it.

The Operator
02-02-2011, 02:42 AM
I've recently become hooked on How I met Your Mother.

I skipped past that show for years when flipping through the channel and never thought I would like it. But my girlfriend wanted some seasons on DVD for a gift recently and I started watching with her... bam, hooked.

It's going to be legen... wait for it. DARY. LEGENDARY.

Roy Tucker
02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
my hand is raised high and both my thumbs are up for "the good wife", mr. tucker.

with wow writing and an ensemble cast to die for, it sets the standard for consistent quality on network television today.

thanks sweetstop. :thumbup:

i'll just keep pimping this show... maybe this is why nobody talks about it...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2011/02/01/complex-drama-hooks-millions.html?sid=101

The Good Wife, the CBS drama that's now midway through an addictive and excellent second season, is one of those rare shows that becomes quietly totemic for loyal viewers - something to carry around but not talk about.

It subsists on a fraction of the hype and deconstructionist recaps that many premium cable dramas generate.

Hardly anybody tweets new thoughts about The Good Wife, which draws about 12 million viewers each Tuesday night. It's just the good show.

So let's talk about it.

freestyle55
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm really digging The Cape

Don't get too attached, it's got horrible ratings and they just cut the series order from 13 episodes to 10...

It's cheezy, not that original, but the wife and I like it, but as with most of the new shows we think look good, it's probably doomed to failure fairly soon...

Caveat Emperor
02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Don't get too attached, it's got horrible ratings and they just cut the series order from 13 episodes to 10...

It's cheezy, not that original, but the wife and I like it, but as with most of the new shows we think look good, it's probably doomed to failure fairly soon...

I don't know why networks cancel shows in their first season anymore. If you've spent all the money greenlighting a show, why not just ride it out for a season, release the DVD boxset over the summer and see if word of mouth is positive enough among fans of the show to get new people on board for season 2.

I can't remember the last time I picked up a show right from Episode 1 of Season 1 -- even when I get a "oh you have to watch this show" from a friend, I'll wait until the season is over and grab the DVDs to catch up over the summer.

Networks are killing themselves with the quick trigger finger.

BuckeyeRed27
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't know why networks cancel shows in their first season anymore. If you've spent all the money greenlighting a show, why not just ride it out for a season, release the DVD boxset over the summer and see if word of mouth is positive enough among fans of the show to get new people on board for season 2.

I can't remember the last time I picked up a show right from Episode 1 of Season 1 -- even when I get a "oh you have to watch this show" from a friend, I'll wait until the season is over and grab the DVDs to catch up over the summer.

Networks are killing themselves with the quick trigger finger.

It really depends on the show format, the costs of the show and the promises made to advertisers.

If a show is more episodic like CSI or a three camera show like Big Bang Theory it is more likely to get time to gain an audience. A new viewer can jump in on episode 15 and be able to catch up.

If it's a more plot driven show like The Cape or Lonestar than the networks are going to pay attention a lot more to the first few weeks.

Networks haven't been as quick on the trigger the last few seasons actually. There have been a few casualities but many fringe shows have made it through as networks get used to things like DVR/Tivo ratings, online viewership and working on different types of advertising agreements.

Razor Shines
02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
We watch Southland on TNT. I think it's gotten better since it came over from NBC.

Roy Tucker
04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/03/justified-the-good-wife-men-of-a-certain-age-honored-with-peabody-awards.html

Captain Hook
04-05-2011, 01:00 AM
I have a 5 yr old son so when Scooby Doo or Phineas and Ferb isn't on it's football,basketball and most importantly baseball for me.I have to admit that the cartoons of choice have improves dramatically now that the earlier childhood shows have been outgrown.

SunDeck
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Been watching Thumbs Up via Netflix. Two Korean Americans hitch hiking and train hopping across the country. There are some really hilarious moments, most of which are definitely not kid friendly.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Got hooked on The Chicago Code....then they cancelled it. I was very disappointed in that...To me it was a great show, with intriguing characters and a good storyline...sucks it had to go.

BuckeyeRed27
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Got hooked on The Chicago Code....then they cancelled it. I was very disappointed in that...To me it was a great show, with intriguing characters and a good storyline...sucks it had to go.

Where are you seeing that it was cancelled? I have looked several places and while it is definately on the bubble I can't find anything that confirms it has been axed.

I also really like this one so I hope it gets another season.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Where are you seeing that it was cancelled? I have looked several places and while it is definately on the bubble I can't find anything that confirms it has been axed.

I also really like this one so I hope it gets another season.

I missed it last week, or so I though, so I went on Hulu to look, and there was no new episode, so I looked at the discussions and someone said it was cancelled, which I was skeptical, until there was no new one yesterday either. I actually read a little more into it, and it's up in the air, but no idea why they didn't air episodes the last 2 weeks.

BuckeyeRed27
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I missed it last week, or so I though, so I went on Hulu to look, and there was no new episode, so I looked at the discussions and someone said it was cancelled, which I was skeptical, until there was no new one yesterday either. I actually read a little more into it, and it's up in the air, but no idea why they didn't air episodes the last 2 weeks.

They still plan on airing five episodes this season.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
They still plan on airing five episodes this season.

Good. I freakin love this show haha

Sean_CaseyRules
04-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Sorry I didn't post with the others, I was still distraught about the misunderstanding of Chicago Code haha.

However, my other favorite shows are...

SportsNation, Michelle Beadle is just so freakin hot, and knowledgeable about sports. I just love it!

Walking Dead, I love zombies, and the characters are all interested and the story is gripping. Basically mirroring everything that everyone has said about it so far.

The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson, I watch this more than anything else on TV. He cracks me up every night. He's definitely my favorite out of all of them, including Conan!

Razor Shines
04-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Just watched AMC's The Killing. It was pretty good. I hope it's as good as other AMC shows.

medford
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Just watched AMC's The Killing. It was pretty good. I hope it's as good as other AMC shows.

watched the 1st episode last night. Definently give it a thumbs up for 1 episode. Seems like they could take it about 10 different ways in discovering the killer. Given AMC's track record, I suspect the remaining 12 episodes will prove to be a great show. Not sure its the kind of show that they can turn into multiple seasons, but I guess we'll see how it develops over the next couple of months.

BuckeyeRed27
04-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Has anybody else watch The Kennedy's miniseries that was buried on Reelz?

I've watched the first two parts and have enjoyed it.

AmarilloRed
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Merlin is my new can't miss show. I thought the end of season cliffhanger in season 3 was great and am anxiously awaiting Season 4. I also watch a bit of NCIS

Redsfaithful
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
The Killing started very, very well. I've got high hopes for it. AMC has only ever missed on one show for me personally (and it got canceled), so it's about the only network where I'll watch a new show without giving it a season or two first to make sure it's decently reviewed.

medford
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Watched the 2nd episode of "the killing" on AMC ondemand last night. I think the 3rd episode aired live last night, as they generally wait a week to put a new episode of something up onto TW-ondemand 1 full week. thought the 2nd episode was very well done, definently lots of interesting characters, a bunch of plot development, and many ways they could take the show.

Definently worth catching up with in the next couple of weeks for anyone that hasn't started yet.

AMC has also started their 2nd straight run of showing all the "Breaking Bad" episodes on Wednesday/thursday late, late night/early morning. They run 2 at a time, w/ the next 2 the following week. I think they're going to be on about episode 5 & 6 this wednesday. Another show worth watching on AMC if you haven't in the past. My wife & I caught up on the first season the last time they did this, have part of the 2nd season, and plan to record the ones we missed for the rest of the 2nd season and all of season 3 prior to season 4 airing late this summer.

BuckeyeRed27
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Finally caught up on The Killing and it is really good. AMC really has a style and they do it very well.

CrimsonCrusader
04-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Hot in Cleveland...and the news.

Oh, of course...Reds games...no one's mentioned that. What kind of fans ARE you all!?!?! lol......

Hillsdale87
04-27-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of Chicago Code as well. I'm really hoping it holds on because I think it's one of the best on TV. Fox is really strong on Monday with House leading into Chicago Code

Sweetstop
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
last 2 or 3 episodes of "house" have been very good, i'll have to say. still watching after all these years..

current favorite: watching season 1 of hbo's "treme". fabulous integrated music and musicians. excellent cast/characters. hubby and i are hooked after 3 episodes.

RichRed
04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
current favorite: watching season 1 of hbo's "treme". fabulous integrated music and musicians. excellent cast/characters. hubby and i are hooked after 3 episodes.

I'm looking forward to catching up with that show. As soon as I saw it had many of the same folks involved with "The Wire," I knew I'd have to check it out.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Just watched the latest episode of the Chicago Code, and the stuff is really about to hit the fan. There is no way they cancel this show. It's definitely the best.

Caveat Emperor
05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Caught up on the first two episodes of the new season of Doctor Who -- probably the best start to a season they've had since the show came back 7 years ago. First time they've ever filmed in America too.

Sucks they're only doing 7 episodes in the spring and then waiting to do the final six episodes in the fall. Going to be a long wait this year.

MikeThierry
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm catching up with Fringe. The Borgia's have been a good show as well on Showtime if you like historical dramas.

BuckeyeRed27
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm catching up with Fringe. The Borgia's have been a good show as well on Showtime if you like historical dramas.

Love Fringe. This season has been really good.

For new shows I really like Happy Endings.

Roy Tucker
05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Just FYI, tonight is shaping up as an intense episode of The Good Wife on CBS at 10.

Last week, Alicia received some very troubling information and I think its all going to hit the fan tonight. Julianna Margulies has been Emmy-worthy all year and I think tonight will be the capstone. Great writing too.

Razor Shines
05-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Community wins. It's the best show on network TV right now.

BuckeyeRed27
05-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Chicago code didn't make it. Fox has officially canceled it along with a couple other shows.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Chicago code didn't make it. Fox has officially canceled it along with a couple other shows.

That freakin sucks....are they going to at least allow it to show its final 2 episodes of the season?

Redsfaithful
05-11-2011, 09:13 AM
The Killing jumped the shark like crazy this past episode. I can't understand how a show could be so good initially and then turn to crap so quick, but it did.

Reds Fanatic
05-11-2011, 09:21 AM
That freakin sucks....are they going to at least allow it to show its final 2 episodes of the season?

Yes they will show the remaining episodes of this season but then the show will be done.

BuckeyeRed27
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes they will show the remaining episodes of this season but then the show will be done.

Right. Fox also got rid of Lie to Me, Traffic Light, Human Target and Breaking In.

RichRed
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Community wins. It's the best show on network TV right now.

It swings and misses sometimes but it always swings for the fences. I love it.

Razor Shines
05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
It swings and misses sometimes but it always swings for the fences. I love it.

I love that they completely throw out the idea of trying to be realistic.

Scrap Irony
05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I love the pop culture references.

That in itself would be a phenomenal drinking game in college.

Which Community could then make fun of.

Which would be a drink.

Which would be made fun of.

It could very well be both the greatest drinking game of all time and cause a rip in the fabric of reality itself.

Which is, like, really cool and junk.

RichRed
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I love that they completely throw out the idea of trying to be realistic.

It's great how they poke fun at conventional TV/movie precepts, plus everything Troy says is hilarious to me.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Part 1 of the Chicago Code season finale was last night...I really hope someone else picks up this show....it's freakin awesome...

Roy Tucker
05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Alicia and Will.

Sweetstop
05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Alicia and Will.

a fitting climax.

MikeThierry
05-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I have been watching Game of Thrones recently. Love the murder, intrigue, and political back stabbing. It kind of started off slow but really picked up as the season has gone by.

medford
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I vowed not to start the series on HBO until my wife was done reading the book. She finished a week or so ago, and have watched the first 2. So far its pretty true to the book, though some of the characters in the show are older than in the book. there are so many characters/plots to introduce from the book, I think the show couldn't help but start slow. If it holds form, it will quicken pace all the way up the series finale.

BuckeyeRed27
05-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I got to see the pilot of JJ Abrams new show "Alcatraz". It starts January 2012 I believe, but if you like JJ's shows you're going to like this one.

MikeThierry
05-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I vowed not to start the series on HBO until my wife was done reading the book. She finished a week or so ago, and have watched the first 2. So far its pretty true to the book, though some of the characters in the show are older than in the book. there are so many characters/plots to introduce from the book, I think the show couldn't help but start slow. If it holds form, it will quicken pace all the way up the series finale.

I haven't read the books so I don't know what to expect from the series. I'm not that much into reading fiction for some reason. The latest episode was brilliant, in my opinion. It is really picking up and the plots are really well written. I also think the main reason why some of the characters are older in the TV version, esp. Daenerys Targaryen, is that there would be a lot of controversy if they were shown as younger on TV. Without reading the books, I know that Daenerys, for example, is way younger. HBO would certainly catch a lot of flak for showing a pregnant girl who is underage.

Redsfaithful
05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Game of Thrones really has been great. I need to reread the books before the fifth comes out this summer.

Homer Bailey
07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I've been watching The Wire. I'm through 2 seasons, and just started the 3rd. Pretty amazing show.

bucksfan2
07-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I've been watching The Wire. I'm through 2 seasons, and just started the 3rd. Pretty amazing show.

As have I. I am currently on the 4th season and the 2nd was my favorite. Its a very well done show and the character development is top notch. My only complaint is that its takes a while to watch a season. And Netflix only sends me a 2-3 episode DVD when I order them.

Caveat Emperor
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I'm in the middle of season two right now. McNulty is kinda my hero.

Chip R
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Yikes. :eek:

Razor Shines
07-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Watch Wilfred on fx.

MikeThierry
07-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm going back and watching some of the old shows I used to enjoy. I forgot how fun of a show Farscape used to be.

Razor Shines
07-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Curb was back on tonight. Loved it. I lost it when Larry told his thoughts on how bald people can address eachother.

Homer Bailey
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Finished season 3 of The Wire. Just an absolutely ridiculously good show.

BuckeyeRed27
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Friday Night Lights was finally nominated for an Emmy!
Series Finale (for those of us that don't have DirectTV) is tomorrow night BTW. I'm really going to miss this show.

Strikes Out Looking
07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Curb was back on tonight. Loved it. I lost it when Larry told his thoughts on how bald people can address eachother.

My wife, who was listening but not really watching, couldn't understand why I was howling with laughter when Jeff and Susie had a discussion about divorce. The look on Jeff's face when Susie told him what she would do if they ever divorced was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Strikes Out Looking
07-14-2011, 04:02 PM

If you guys like the Wire, you should really watch Treme -- while its not as good as the Wire (because nothing is as good as the Wire), it shows just how great some of the Wire actors are. The actor who played Bunk (Wendell Pierce) is just a great actor.

Chip R
07-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Friday Night Lights was finally nominated for an Emmy!
Series Finale (for those of us that don't have DirectTV) is tomorrow night BTW. I'm really going to miss this show.

I've seen the finale on DirectTV and you won't be disappointed.

If you guys like the Wire, you should really watch Treme -- while its not as good as the Wire (because nothing is as good as the Wire), it shows just how great some of the Wire actors are. The actor who played Bunk (Wendell Pierce) is just a great actor.

I saw 3 episodes of Treme when I had a free preview of HBO a month or so ago. Interesting show. Not happy they killed off Steve Earle.

Sweetstop
07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I've seen the finale on DirectTV and you won't be disappointed.

I saw 3 episodes of Treme when I had a free preview of HBO a month or so ago. Interesting show. Not happy they killed off Steve Earle.

i saw the last episode of fnl on dvd last week, and i'm going to watch it again tonight. eric and tami are one of the best married couples ever on tv..imho.

"treme". excellent.

i want to recommend "doc martin" on pbs. it's our can't miss show this summer.

Redhook
07-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finale of Friday Night Lights as well. Best show I've ever seen.

BuckeyeRed27
07-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finale of Friday Night Lights as well. Best show I've ever seen.

I rewatched the pilot the other day. That is truly the best hour of television I have ever seen. Coach Taylor's voice over and the closing scene is brilliant. "We will all fall"...gets me every time.

IslandRed
07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Heard the other day that Friday Night Lights will be shown on ESPN Classic starting next week.

izzy's dad
07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Watch Wilfred on fx.

Had to check this out when it started. Loved the pilot, never miss an episode. Freakin' hilarious!

reds1869
07-16-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm really enjoying Torchwood: Miracle Day on Starz. If you are a fan of Doctor Who or of the previous Torchwood series I highly recommend it.

cinredsfan2000
07-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Had to check this out when it started. Loved the pilot, never miss an episode. Freakin' hilarious!

Just watched the first 3 episodes i agree , cant wait for the next episode .

MikeThierry
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Falling Skies is kind of an interesting show. It has been a bit slow but I expect it to pick up a bit as the season goes on. Kind of like the aspect that humans have already pretty much been conquered and people are trying to survive rather than the whole tired plot of Aliens attack like in so many movies and tv shows.

Caveat Emperor
07-21-2011, 11:22 PM
New Beavis & Butthead footage:

http://youtu.be/sAAirNeKWxQ

MWM
08-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I've now watched the first 4 episodes of Boardwalk Empire. I love just about anything around that time period, love most things organized crime, and most of the HBO series' I've watched any of. I thought it was the perfect match for me. But for some reason it just hasn't captured me yet. I find myself considering watching another episode just to find something else to watch instead.

Does it get better the further into the season? If not, I think I'll just stop watching now.

medford
08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way thru. Around episde 5 or 6 is when they start diving more into Jimmy & Capone's relationship and their time in chicago. If your into Mob Stories, it may be worth hanging on for a few more episodes and see if that grabs your attention.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
One episode remaining on The Wire. I can't emphasize enough how good this show is. I truly can't. Season 5 is probably the worst of the five, but it's still just incredible television.

Made me sick to my stomach that I had to debate my roommate last night on which was better: True Blood or The Wire. The Wire is simply not recognized nearly as well as it should.

RichRed
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Made me sick to my stomach that I had to debate my roommate last night on which was better: True Blood or The Wire. The Wire is simply not recognized nearly as well as it should.

Just reading that, my stomach did a little backflip too.

My wife and I enjoy "True Blood" as a guilty pleasure, but it really has some atrocious acting, especially vampire Bill. And a lot of the "scary" moments are unintentionally funny instead.

"The Wire" is an absolute tour de force.

BuckeyeRed27
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I think it's been talked about in this thread before, but Louie has been awesome this season and has been picked up for a third (along with fellow FX show Wilfred which is also really funny).

The Louie scene last week with Dane Cook was amazing.

Caveat Emperor
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
One episode remaining on The Wire. I can't emphasize enough how good this show is. I truly can't. Season 5 is probably the worst of the five, but it's still just incredible television.

I just finished Season 3. Such an amazing show -- I can't wait to get home and start Season 4 this weekend.

Natty Redlocks
08-15-2011, 12:41 AM
South Park is the greatest television program of all time. It's almost too awesome to exist in this world. I like other shows too, but to put them in the same paragraph with South Park would be like putting the Beatles in the same category as Herman's Hermits.

Puffy
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I just finished Season 3. Such an amazing show -- I can't wait to get home and start Season 4 this weekend.

I am half way through Season 2. I am enjoying it.

Its a good show but it is no Sopranos.

bucksfan2
08-15-2011, 11:04 AM

I have a few episodes left in Season 4. Season 2 was by far my favorite. Season 4 is pretty darn good as well. -SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT-

When Tommy wins the the Democratic Mayoral Primary was probably my favorite episode that I have seen so far.

When do you have time to watch The Wire? I have literally been working through the series for about 6 months now. HBO episodes are a good 55 minutes a piece.

Homer Bailey
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a few episodes left in Season 4. Season 2 was by far my favorite. Season 4 is pretty darn good as well. -SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT-

When Tommy wins the the Democratic Mayoral Primary was probably my favorite episode that I have seen so far.

When do you have time to watch The Wire? I have literally been working through the series for about 6 months now. HBO episodes are a good 55 minutes a piece.

I tried to just watch an episode a night before I go to bed. I should have slowed down to enjoy it more, but instead of flipping on the tv, I just put the golf channel or something on mute, and put the Wire on on my computer. Long episodes for sure, but man are they worth it. I recently just rewatched the first couple of episodes from season 1. It's amazing the stuff you pick up on it by rewatching.

medford
10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
How many watched the season 2 premier of "The Walking Dead"? Forgot how well they build suspense into the story line in different ways. I'm happy they'll have 13 episodes this season vs the 6 last year. It will be interesting to see how they work new characters in the show, something "Breaking Bad" has done masterfully.

Redsfaithful
10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Even fast forwarding with a DVR I thought the commercials were ridiculous on The Walking Dead. Really kills the flow of the show.

Also, kind of a buzzkill, but it didn't compare well going from Breaking Bad to The Walking Dead one week to the next. I enjoy The Walking Dead, but I kind of have low expectations.

cumberlandreds
10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Me and the wife have been watching American Horror Story on FX. It's a little strange but watchable so far. Anyone else watching this show?

Roy Tucker
10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I guess I'm getting old. There really isn't any new show on this season that I care for.

And every show on seems to have a big dose of innuendo with it. When I see a primetime show that talks about a facial and I don't mean the cosmetic kind, I think the censors have a different set of standards these days. I like a little smut as much as the next guy, but it seems like that's all there is any more.

Sweetstop
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
maria bello's "prime suspect" is not half bad. mature and kinda gritty, plus, her co-worker guys dishing out the grief are excellent unknowns..boss aiden quinn is a standout. "lem" from "the shield" is her sexy live-in boyfriend.

of course, the series doesn't hold a candle to helen mirren's british version, one of my all time favorites, but it's not really trying to be the same. i'm sure it'll be cancelled shortly.

as mr. tucker, i've seen very little else new on the networks that's worth watching.

BuckeyeRed27
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
The only new shows that I've liked to far have been Revenge and Up All Night. Neither are great, but I do like them. I've also watched Whitney and Terra Nova and find them both to have moments, but haven't really been hooked yet. I've heard Homeland (not a network show) is really good and I have all of them on my DVR and plan to watch them this weekend.

Caveat Emperor
11-07-2011, 03:41 AM
If you haven't seen "Sherlock" yet (3 90-minute episode TV series from the BBC), go sign up for Netflix and watch it immediately. It's Holmes & Watson in modern London, and every single thing about it is absolutely brilliant.

foxfire123
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Me and the wife have been watching American Horror Story on FX. It's a little strange but watchable so far. Anyone else watching this show?

I "know" the guy who plays Rubber Man on that show. Or actually, I work with his Aunt. lol! But I still haven't watched the show--it's on the same time as an another favorite.

Mario-Rijo
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Anyone checked out Hell on Wheels on AMC (1865 post Civil War/Lincoln assassination Railroad Drama)? I watched the premiere on Sunday night after the Walking dead, it looks like a pretty interesting story. AMC is awesome man they are kicking the crap out of most of the competition (sans maybe CBS). Check it out Sunday nights I think it was at 10 EST.

Redsfaithful
11-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Just got caught up on Homeland, and it's very, very good.

RFS62
11-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Just got caught up on Homeland, and it's very, very good.

Yes it is.

wolfboy
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I've now watched the first 4 episodes of Boardwalk Empire. I love just about anything around that time period, love most things organized crime, and most of the HBO series' I've watched any of. I thought it was the perfect match for me. But for some reason it just hasn't captured me yet. I find myself considering watching another episode just to find something else to watch instead.

Does it get better the further into the season? If not, I think I'll just stop watching now.

I've watched all of Season 1 and Season 2 (so far). I think the show is outstanding. I believe it gets much better than what you've seen so far. Then again, it just may not be your show.

Sweetstop
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
now watching season 3 of hbo's "in treatment" with the mesmerizing gabriel byrne..guest stars this season include amy ryan (as his therapist, following dianne wiest) and debra winger..

this is a wonderful series, that i don't think i've ever heard anyone else here mention. constantly amazed at how riveting a "session" can be..the excellent paris barkley directs many episodes of this mark wahlberg produced show.

wolfboy
11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
now watching season 3 of hbo's "in treatment" with the mesmerizing gabriel byrne..guest stars this season include amy ryan (as his therapist, following dianne wiest) and debra winger..

this is a wonderful series, that i don't think i've ever heard anyone else here mention. constantly amazed at how riveting a "session" can be..the excellent paris barkley directs many episodes of this mark wahlberg produced show.

I'll have to check it out. HBO Go is my new favorite thing.

Razor Shines
11-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Just watched the first episode of Boss. Thought it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dabvu2498
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Anyone checked out Hell on Wheels on AMC (1865 post Civil War/Lincoln assassination Railroad Drama)? I watched the premiere on Sunday night after the Walking dead, it looks like a pretty interesting story. AMC is awesome man they are kicking the crap out of most of the competition (sans maybe CBS). Check it out Sunday nights I think it was at 10 EST.

I tried watching the first couple episodes and couldn't get through it. The subject matter is right up my alley, but I think the acting and the plot and the script is pretty crappy.

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Any Workaholics watchers? This show is absolutely hilarious.

Ohayou
11-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Well, so far the 2nd season of The Walking Dead has been all soap operatic fluff.

Razor Shines
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Well, so far the 2nd season of The Walking Dead has been all soap operatic fluff.
I thought last night's mid season finale was one of the best episodes of the series.

RichRed
11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought last night's mid season finale was one of the best episodes of the series.

I did too, but the episodes leading up to it have been very disappointing. Too much awkward dialogue and not enough, you know, zombies and stuff.

medford
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen episode 6 of the Walking Dead yet, but I've enjoyed this season. I never read the books, so I have don't have a clue where the show is going exactly or how closely it even follows the books, but I think there have been several fascinating takes on an end of the world scenerio such as this. You can only do so much with zombies, before its just another zombie scene, but the question of how much do you risk yourself for the life of someone you hardly know, do you try to repopulate the planet or is it worse to bring new life into such a harsh environment, to what extents do you just give up or try to survive, how much trust can you put in a stranger with a completely different background when there are so few around.

These are all questions that I hope/assume we'll never have to face, but are fun to think about. In the end of days, how are you going to react? The zombie's are just a sci-fi sidekick to the real plot of the story. You start doing too much zombie stuff and it becomes stale.

Like I said, I haven't seen the last episode, but I'll assume everything's leading up to the scene in the barn. That is a fascinating question in and of itself if you can suspend reality long enough to think it possible.

marcshoe
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I You can only do so much with zombies, before its just another zombie scene, but the question of how much do you risk ....

Yeah. 1b, DH. You can try to hide one in left, but sooner or later it's going to cost you.

Or am I on the wrong thread? :confused:

Roy Tucker
11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
One thing I do know is not to pull a zombie out of a well with a rope.

medford
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
One thing I do know is not to pull a zombie out of a well with a rope.

Not if you plan to drink from that well.

RichRed
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
The Grantland recaps of "Walking Dead" have been fun to read. WARNING: Spoilers if you haven't seen the midseason finale.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/38190/the-walking-dead-recap-bring-your-daughter-to-the-slaughter

Homer Bailey
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I just got caught up on How to Make it in America. Anyone else watch?

medford
12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
For anyone w/ HBO on demand, they have just recently started their run of "The Wire" have season 1, episode 1-4 up now for a couple more weeks, then take those down and up up episodes 5-9.

I've been wanting to watch this series for a long time, I've seen the first couple of episodes of season 1 prior, but lost time and haven't had the chance to go back watch it thru. Looking forward to it based upon the reports of its greatness in the past.

LoganBuck
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I tried watching the first couple episodes and couldn't get through it. The subject matter is right up my alley, but I think the acting and the plot and the script is pretty crappy.

RE: Hell on Wheels

Totally agree, with Dabvu. This show should have been a homerun. Instead it is a steaming pile. It could have been so good, instead it is boring, and annoying. I had it DVRed so that I could watch it, sat down this weekend, watched it over three nights, and came away wanting so much more. The characters are good, the subject is good. The writing is DEPLORABLE. Cullen Bohanin had a chance, but the continued reinforcement that he is a drunk, does not advance the story and lessens his character. The Irish Brothers McGuiness, need to be shoved in front of the train, they are completely worthless to the plot, yet receive 10% of the screen time each week. Lilly is a fine character, and in fact the only one on the show, that it seems like the writers thought out. I like the Reverend, a little, but just when I come to that realization, the writers decide to throw in an abandoned daughter that he has not seen in 15 years, WTH?

Razor Shines
12-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Caught up on Homeland. Pretty cool show. Howard Gordon, one of the original 24 guys, is a co-creator.

HeatherC1212
12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Once Upon a Time and Revenge are my two new fave shows of the season (both are on my Must See TV list right now along with Happy Endings, Hawaii Five-O, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice) but are probably not all that interesting to most of you guys here. ABC totally owns me this season, LOL :laugh:

marcshoe
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Caught up on Homeland. Pretty cool show. Howard Gordon, one of the original 24 guys, is a co-creator.

I didn't realize that--I've heard the show called the anti-24.

I don't have time to get into serious TV right now (and don't have HBO, or whatever pay service Homeland is on) but I've wanted to see this ever since I heard about it.

Razor Shines
12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I didn't realize that--I've heard the show called the anti-24.

I don't have time to get into serious TV right now (and don't have HBO, or whatever pay service Homeland is on) but I've wanted to see this ever since I heard about it.

I guess I'd have to get more of an understanding of what is meant by "the anti-24". I think the content is fairly similar but the format is completely different.

Redsfaithful
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Totally agree, with Dabvu. This show should have been a homerun. Instead it is a steaming pile.

I learned not to trust AMC anymore after The Killing, which I hung with way too long under the assumption AMC created Mad Men and Breaking Bad, so how could it be so terrible? I'll never watch another AMC show until it's been on a season or two with critical acclaim.

Unless it's about zombies. I will watch that even if it's terrible (and it kind of is.)

marcshoe
12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I guess I'd have to get more of an understanding of what is meant by "the anti-24". I think the content is fairly similar but the format is completely different.

Here's an article that gets into it. (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2011/11/homeland-the-antidote-for-24.html)

Mario-Rijo
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Totally agree, with Dabvu. This show should have been a homerun. Instead it is a steaming pile. It could have been so good, instead it is boring, and annoying. I had it DVRed so that I could watch it, sat down this weekend, watched it over three nights, and came away wanting so much more. The characters are good, the subject is good. The writing is DEPLORABLE. Cullen Bohanin had a chance, but the continued reinforcement that he is a drunk, does not advance the story and lessens his character. The Irish Brothers McGuiness, need to be shoved in front of the train, they are completely worthless to the plot, yet receive 10% of the screen time each week. Lilly is a fine character, and in fact the only one on the show, that it seems like the writers thought out. I like the Reverend, a little, but just when I come to that realization, the writers decide to throw in an abandoned daughter that he has not seen in 15 years, WTH?

I actually thought the 1st episode was pretty solid but it's had a hard time keeping my attention frankly. It's a bit too much all over the place.

foxfire123
12-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Person of Interest. A bit of a slow start, but now that they've been giving more details on the backstory of the characters, it's steadily improving IMO.

Redhook
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
The League. It's growing on me. I've seen 3 episodes thus far and laugh harder in each one.

dougdirt
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
The League. It's growing on me. I've seen 3 episodes thus far and laugh harder in each one.

One of the funniest shows on tv.

MWM
12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm trying really hard to like Sons of Anarchy, but I just can't seem to get there. I'm about halfway through season 2 on Netflix and I've about lost interest. There's just something about this "club" and the stories I'm not buying. It just seems so not believable.

I know you have to suspend disbelief for most shows, but I'm just not buying these guys as smart, savvy organized criminals. And it's not like the Sopranos where the characters are at least likeable. I understand they were still violent mobsters, but in their world you at least rooted for them and they seemed to have redeeming qualities. I liked those guys even though they were criminals. With SoA, I find little about them I like. I want them to lose.... :D

Strikes Out Looking
12-14-2011, 08:33 PM
My guilty pleasure this year has been Workaholics. It's so stupid it's funny.

LoganBuck
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Hell on Wheels was still being recorded on my DVR. Caught up on it over the last few days. That show has shaped up some. It has been entertaining.

Raisor
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm a few years late, but Big Bang Theory is right down my aisle.

Love it.

bucksfan2
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm a few years late, but Big Bang Theory is right down my aisle.

Love it.

I tell my wife it is the best show on TV. She disagrees but sometimes she is wrong!

I remember watching the first few episodes and thinking to my self that the show was funny but I didn't know if it had staying power. It sure has.

BuckeyeRed27
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I tell my wife it is the best show on TV. She disagrees but sometimes she is wrong!

I remember watching the first few episodes and thinking to my self that the show was funny but I didn't know if it had staying power. It sure has.

I used to love Big Bang and I still like it, but it isn't a must watch for me anymore.

Sabo Fan
01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Castle and Modern Family are about the only network shows I watch anymore. Toss 30 Rock in there when it comes back on.

Other than that it's Psych (there was a first season Austin Kearns reference and I've been hooked ever since), White Collar, and South Park.

There are also Fraiser re-runs on Hallmark Channel in the evenings, which is nice.

01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I tell my wife it is the best show on TV. She disagrees but sometimes she is wrong!.

What's your secret? My girlfriend is never wrong!

bucksfan2
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
What's your secret? My girlfriend is never wrong!

I just don't listen and take over the remote :).

Roy Tucker
01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I used to love Big Bang and I still like it, but it isn't a must watch for me anymore.

I'm there too. I think Jim Parsons is great, but the rest of the cast is very ordinary and it doesn't have enough of an ensemble feel to give it legs.

I really like The Middle and Raising Hope. I have this thing for finding dysfunctional families hilarious.

TRF
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Other than that it's Psych (there was a first season Austin Kearns reference and I've been hooked ever since), White Collar, and South Park.

I remember that reference. I love Psych.

Started watching Hell on Wheels New Years Day. Recorded all the episodes.

Psych, White Collar, Leverage, Chopped, Iron Chef America, The Daily Show and Colbert, Burn Notice, Big Bang re-runs. My guilty pleasure is Storage Wars. It's like Antique Roadshow with cursing.

Warehouse 13 and Eureka. I'm going to miss Eureka. I'm about done with House, in my mind it has run its course. I like Terra Nova. It's no Firefly, but hopefully FOX won't ruin it.

RichRed
01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm there too. I think Jim Parsons is great, but the rest of the cast is very ordinary and it doesn't have enough of an ensemble feel to give it legs.

That's how I feel too; I always think I must be missing something when people talk about how funny this show is, because I just don't get it - aside from the Sheldon character. I might've mentioned it here somewhere, but it reminds me of "All in the Family" in that way. If Archie didn't appear in an episode, that show was virtually unwatchable.

BuckeyeRed27
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
That's how I feel too; I always think I must be missing something when people talk about how funny this show is, because I just don't get it - aside from the Sheldon character. I might've mentioned it here somewhere, but it reminds me of "All in the Family" in that way. If Archie didn't appear in an episode, that show was virtually unwatchable.

I just feel like the show needs to go somewhere. They have brought in a few new characters, but it's basically been the same show for how ever long its been on the air.

I'm really excited for Alcatraz. I got to see the pilot a few months ago and I loved it. Apparently there has been some production issues, but I'm still hoping it catches on.

Sweetstop
01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
we're 2 episodes into the last season of "big love".

can't wait for season 2 of "downton abbey" to start sunday.

we just started getting "antenna TV" on one of our local stations, and it's carrying lots of old shows that i used to love. have watched some "that girl" and "the rockford files"

Roy Tucker
01-06-2012, 01:31 PM
we just started getting "antenna TV" on one of our local stations, and it's carrying lots of old shows that i used to love. have watched some "that girl" and "the rockford files"

On cable, we get Me-TV which is basically TV's greatest hits of the 50's-80's.

For example, the weekday prime time rotation is M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, That Girl, Cheers, The Odd Couple, and The Twilight Zone.

During other times, its The Rifleman, Kojak, The Big Valley, Bonanza, etc etc. If I'm bored, I can always flip over there and see something I like (more the 1/2 hr. comedies).

http://metvnetwork.com/metv_national.pdf

RedLegSuperStar
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
My top 5:

Dexter
Sons Of Anarchy
Breaking Bad
Shameless
Homeland / Last Man Standing

RichRed
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM

For example, the weekday prime time rotation is M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, That Girl, Cheers, The Odd Couple, and The Twilight Zone.

Man, I would be glued to that channel. I've been watching some of the old "Rockford Files" episodes too, on Netflix, and I really like it. It's interesting to compare the pacing of a show from the '70s to one of today's shows. So much more deliberate.

I'm also into the 3rd season of "Mad Men" and really enjoying it.

Sweetstop
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
we get me-tv also...the comfort food television equivalent...give me some nice mac&cheese on an old tv tray, and i'm all set. :)

medford
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
I just feel like the show needs to go somewhere. They have brought in a few new characters, but it's basically been the same show for how ever long its been on the air.

Isn't that how are Chuck Lorre shows are described?

I enjoy the show, but I think that's part of the appeal in today's TV world. With more and more shows becoming "can't miss an episode" watching (ie anything AMC or HBO runs, lost, 24, "reality" TV.

Its never "must watch" tv, but if you're home on a monday night looking for something to watch, you know its fairly reliable for 30 minutes of cheap laughs. I think that type of situational comedy would suffer if you moved it too far away from its base. As they said in "the Wedding Singer" nobody wants to see a 30 year old Fonze hitting on young girls.

anyhoo:

HBO on demand is now on episodes 5-8 of "The Wire" so I'm catching up and plan to watch the series thru. Great stuff so far, I can see why so many recommend it.

izzy's dad
01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
My guilty pleasure this year has been Workaholics. It's so stupid it's funny.

This show is fantastic.

MWM
01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
can't wait for season 2 of "downton abbey" to start sunday.

I love Downton Abbey and season 2 was even better than season 1, IMO. Yes, I"ve watched it already. There are places on the internet where it can be viewed. :devil:

yab1112
01-07-2012, 01:54 PM

That's CBS sitcoms in a nutshell. Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls...all formulaic, predictable and just entertaining enough that you don't turn the channel (usually). That having been said, I still watch Big Bang and HIMYM every week :( Once I start watching a show, I have trouble quitting it. Except with 2 Broke Girls, that was exceptionally easy to stop watching.

cumberlandreds
01-12-2012, 09:52 AM

During other times, its The Rifleman, Kojak, The Big Valley, Bonanza, etc etc. If I'm bored, I can always flip over there and see something I like (more the 1/2 hr. comedies).

http://metvnetwork.com/metv_national.pdf (http://metvnetwork.com/metv_national.pdf)

That's what TVLand should be. I wish one of the DC stations would go ME-TV. Like channel 20 or 50. Most of what they show is unwatchable anyway.

AmarilloRed
01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Merlin is the show I never miss-glad Season 4 is finally on the Sci-Fi Channel.

11larkin11
01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm a guy who, once he's hooked, could care less if a show "loses its luster". I still love The Office, I still love Dexter. Having just gotten Showtime and HBO for the first time in my life, I'm hooked on Game of Thrones (reading the books now), Shameless, Boardwalk Empire, and Homeland. Although I noticed some of its glaring flaws, I liked the first season of Terra Nova, and will continue to watch it because I love the premise and it has so much potential. The Walking Dead is a must watch, and the first episode of House of Lies was hilarious, in my opinion. Looking forward to Alcatraz next week.

But again, I'm a guy who's easily pleased. I rarely leave a movie theater disappointed, and am always highly confused when I get home to see Rotten Tomatoes reviews after I see a movie I think is really good.

Ohayou
01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Hell on Wheels...yeah, not the most overwhelming finale.

medford
01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Hell on Wheels...yeah, not the most overwhelming finale.

Sadly that's becoming the norm w/ recent AMC shows. Well at least the Killings and Rubicon anyways.

Any word if they're picking this up for a 2nd season? I've got it loaded on my DVR, have heard less than overwhelming reviews, but I've also heard a couple positive reviews as well so I figured I'd give it a run eventually. However, if its not coming back for a 2nd season, I'm not going to invest the time.

Chip R
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Justified will be back tonight.

LoganBuck
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Sadly that's becoming the norm w/ recent AMC shows. Well at least the Killings and Rubicon anyways.

Any word if they're picking this up for a 2nd season? I've got it loaded on my DVR, have heard less than overwhelming reviews, but I've also heard a couple positive reviews as well so I figured I'd give it a run eventually. However, if its not coming back for a 2nd season, I'm not going to invest the time.

It is coming back.

Roy Tucker
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Justified will be back tonight.

!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Chip!!!

Roy Tucker
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Last night's "Justified" with Carla Gugino, mmmmm baby!

Roy Tucker
01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Great line from Eli Gold on "The Good Wife" last night:

“You know what’s wrong with Sun Tzu? He never fought the Jews.”

Sweetstop
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
just finished season 2 of "justified". kudos to margo martindale, jeremy davies, walton goggins of course and margo martindale again..as timothy oliphant said, just her presence made the show better..r.i.p. mags.

LoganBuck
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
The River --- Stink, Stank, Stunk

What a horribly executed first two episodes. It felt like four movies smashed into one TV show:

1. The Anaconda movie series (sans giant cgi snakes)
2. The Blair Witch Project series (I sadly admit to watching the second movie as well)
3. Paranormal Activity series
4. Field of Dreams (without any of the baseball elements)

These characters are confronted with black magic, and supernatural spirits. Instead of freaking out, they just accept this and deal with it, in the perfect way? They also choose to spend the night under a shrine to a dead girl in the middle of a burial ground, after just learning in the first hour, that ghosts are very real and can kill you. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. The only thing worse is the dialogue. One could hope that the next episode, is better like most series after the network has a chance to add real feedback, by I highly doubt I will watch.

MWM
02-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Finishing up the first season of The Wire. Unbelievable show, definitely one of the best I've ever seen. I really can't find any fault with this show.

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Finishing up the first season of The Wire. Unbelievable show, definitely one of the best I've ever seen. I really can't find any fault with this show.

It gets better.

Season 2 is a bit of a shift, but give it time -- it's probably my second favorite season.

LoganBuck
02-10-2012, 07:43 AM
What are people thinking about Alcatraz? I have been watching it, it seems very formulaic. I want to like it, and it is fairly easy to watch, but the criminal of the week thing gets a little old. Essentially CSI: San Francisco without the "science". Each case wrapped up in a tidy bow.

Redsfaithful
02-10-2012, 09:16 AM

It's perfect. When it ended it actually threw me into a little bit of a funk because I don't think there will ever be anything else so good.

medford
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Finished up the 1st season on HBO on demand last night as well. Really enjoyed it. I've seen about half of season 2 in the past, I think on demand starts running it in a few weeks, looking forward to watching all of season 2, and presumably the rest of the series as it appears they're running thru a number of their series from start to finish in 4-5 episode chunks since the year started.

MWM
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Finished up the 1st season on HBO on demand last night as well. Really enjoyed it. I've seen about half of season 2 in the past, I think on demand starts running it in a few weeks, looking forward to watching all of season 2, and presumably the rest of the series as it appears they're running thru a number of their series from start to finish in 4-5 episode chunks since the year started.

I've been using HBO Go, which pretty much kicks ass.

reds1869
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
What are people thinking about Alcatraz? I have been watching it, it seems very formulaic. I want to like it, and it is fairly easy to watch, but the criminal of the week thing gets a little old. Essentially CSI: San Francisco without the "science". Each case wrapped up in a tidy bow.

That is kind of how I feel. I enjoy the show but they need to move away from the predictable formula.

MWM
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
It's perfect. When it ended it actually threw me into a little bit of a funk because I don't think there will ever be anything else so good.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking - that this show was perfect. Even my favorite shows have a thing or two that annoys me, and I will find it if it's there. :) But this one I really can't find anything they didn't do perfectly even if I try really hard to find something.

The casting could not have been better; the acting is amazing; the directing is superb; the writing is exceptional; the characters are great, not one or even two-dimensional; there's nothing formulaic about how things resolved at the end (something very few shows ever have the guts to attempt); there's nothing I don't buy into. So many shows that could be great just get lazy with how they resolve story lines or situations. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with TV shows. The Wire is a great example of how to go about it.

There are plenty of scenes that just leave you in awe. One of my favorite scenes early in the season was with D'Angelo showing Wallace and Brody how to play chess instead of checkers. The writing in that scene was awesome and there are plenty of those scenes like that throughout.

I also had the same thought that I don't think there's been another show that gets it all right like this one and I wish there were.

Redsfaithful
02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
The chess scene is the entire series, in one scene. Actually, forgive me for maybe indulging in hyperbole, but it's America.

You will look back on that scene when you finish the show. That's not a spoiler or anything, it's just integral.

MWM
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
The chess scene is the entire series, in one scene. Actually, forgive me for maybe indulging in hyperbole, but it's America.

You will look back on that scene when you finish the show. That's not a spoiler or anything, it's just integral.

Hmmm, I'm intrigued. I actually like the D'Angelo character and am not afraid to say it even though he's a drug dealer and murderer. I like him as a character because he portrays what's probably a lot closer to the truth for a lot of these people than that one dimensional evil these people are often stereotyped to. He's not a "good person" but he's someone who grew up in an environment people like us can't possibly comprehend. He made choices to follow in the footsteps of family and friends, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have normal human feelings of doubt and guilt over what he's doing to people. It doesn't mean that he can't have aspirations of living a "better", or maybe "different", life than the one he's in now. It doesn't mean he doesn't wonder what kind of person he could be if he could somehow break free from his current life situation.

This character in this show does a great job of portraying the conflict that exists in most of us, just in a different context...that inner struggle and fine line between good and bad. The world isn't black and white, even for the type of people portrayed in this show. Police officers aren't always the altruistic heroic types like they're portrayed in other TV shows and in our culture as a whole. And "corruption" in law enforcement isn't always simply taking bribes from criminals. Leadership in large bureaucratic law enforcement agencies in large cities can be just as political as politics, with people having their own agendas that are not always compatible with the mission of law enforcement. Is the Deputy of Ops a bad guy? Maybe, maybe not. It's not such a simple question or answer. How much better is he than D'Angelo? Again, it's not such a simple question. I'm sure he has his own inner struggle of trying to put criminals behind bars while advancing his career at the same time. Those two aren't always compatible and choices have to be made. I'm sure he lives with a lot of cognitive dissonance.

I think the Lieutenant Daniels character is similar to D'Angelo in that regard and is one of the best characters on the show. He's a great depiction of the inner struggle with competing ambitions.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
The Wire is the greatest show I've ever seen, and it's probably the most rewatchable show I've ever seen. My roommates are watching it for the first time, and I've seen some of the episodes with them, and its just.... I mean.... it's just so good. Everything works together in such a brilliant way.

Season 2 is very different, but I loved it. Seasons 3 and 4 are just genius. Season 5 is the outlier of the series.

Ohayou
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
The first four seasons were spectacular. My favorite is season 4 but I bet if I made a list of my 20 favorite seasons of television, each of the first four seasons of The Wire would be on it. Season 5 was lamentable; it had nowhere near the same level of quality as the first four to begin with, then they decided to shorten the season and end the show which wreaked havoc with an already flawed storyline.

What I liked the best about it is how nobody, be they cop, kingpin, working man, corner boy, politician, nobody was purely good or purely evil. There was good in the most ruthless of characters, like Omar Little (my personal favorite) or Stringer Bell, and the people who are supposed to be upright and decent are shown to be flawed human beings, in some cases very deeply flawed. The makers of the show took the time to give the characters a level of depth that is unequaled by any other show.

Chip R
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I've been recording all the episodes off the Audience Network from DirecTV. I'm wanting my girlfriend to watch them. Couldn't agree more with what you guys said about the show. Mike, you're going to be in for a treat watching the rest of the series.

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Slight change of pace from the Wire -- this guy's young, but he's captured everything that used to be awesome about weathermen back in the day:

Just Havin' Fun Out There - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLEDZmRaOMY)

sonny
02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Super late to the party but I just started watching Weeds. Pretty delighted with it do far.

Buckeye33
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Super late to the party but I just started watching Weeds. Pretty delighted with it do far.

You will like it for the first 4 seasons, then it becomes one of the worst shows on television.

Ohayou
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
The Walking Turd resumes tonight.

medford
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
agreed with most of this review of last night's "The Walking Dead"

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/43397/the-walking-dead-recap-we-hear-its-pretty-nice-in-nebraska

Don't want to give away any spoilers, but he touches on the one aspect of last night's "premier" that really annoyed me. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty solid.

LoganBuck
02-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Just finished last nights TWD, why do I continue to watch that mess?

BuckeyeRed27
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
The River --- Stink, Stank, Stunk

What a horribly executed first two episodes. It felt like four movies smashed into one TV show:

1. The Anaconda movie series (sans giant cgi snakes)
2. The Blair Witch Project series (I sadly admit to watching the second movie as well)
3. Paranormal Activity series
4. Field of Dreams (without any of the baseball elements)

These characters are confronted with black magic, and supernatural spirits. Instead of freaking out, they just accept this and deal with it, in the perfect way? They also choose to spend the night under a shrine to a dead girl in the middle of a burial ground, after just learning in the first hour, that ghosts are very real and can kill you. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. The only thing worse is the dialogue. One could hope that the next episode, is better like most series after the network has a chance to add real feedback, by I highly doubt I will watch.

I just got around to watching it last night. While there were some issues which you addressed I think there is some good potential there. I plan on giving it a few more episodes.

MWM
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Was just reading up on The Wire and it said it never did that well in the ratings and never won any kind of awards. This makes no sense to me.

Ohayou
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah, well, neither did Freaks and Geeks. :(

BuckeyeRed27
02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Was just reading up on The Wire and it said it never did that well in the ratings and never won any kind of awards. This makes no sense to me.

Simple. It wasn't on CBS.

Caveat Emperor
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

You can tell while watching (especially at the end of S1 and S3) that they didn't really expect to come back for another go.

And yes, it's shocking and appalling that it got no love critically. Idris Elba (Stringer) and Dominic West (McNulty) have both gone on to be nominated for other stuff, but it's criminal that neither one -- or Michael K. Williams (Omar), for that matter -- even got nominated for hardware on this show.

Chip R
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
You can tell while watching (especially at the end of S1 and S3) that they didn't really expect to come back for another go.

And yes, it's shocking and appalling that it got no love critically. Idris Elba (Stringer) and Dominic West (McNulty) have both gone on to be nominated for other stuff, but it's criminal that neither one -- or Michael K. Williams (Omar), for that matter -- even got nominated for hardware on this show.

It got (and still gets) plenty of love critically - just not awards-wise.

Puffy
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, well, neither did Freaks and Geeks. :(

Well, to be fair Freeks and Geeks only had 8 episodes total.

Not much body of work to be nominated for....

Chip R
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, to be fair Freeks and Geeks only had 8 episodes total.

Not much body of work to be nominated for....

Or more like 18.

Redsfaithful
02-15-2012, 03:08 PM

It didn't get much of a critical push until after season 3, before season 4. If I remember right they let critics watch either all season 4 before it aired, or a good bit of it, and the critical praise before that season was huge. Every blog, tv site, etc. was talking about it non-stop and it started to get that "best show on tv" buzz.

It took a long time to get that kind of attention, and then they only had season 4 and 5 to capitalize, and 5 was relatively weak compared to the rest of the run (still very good compared to most tv though.)

It's incredible to me they didn't win anything after season 4, but at the same time it's a show mostly about African Americans that are invisible in normal society, and it was ridiculously dense and fairly hard to follow compared to network shows. It's probably actually more amazing that it went the distance of 5 seasons.

MWM
02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
That's an interesting take, rf. Just goes to show how fickle the critical people are. Season 1 itself was breakthrough TV storytelling and I don't think I've ever seen anything better. I thought the Sopranos was great, but it's not the same quality as The Wire, IMO. And telling mafia stories is definitely a lot sexier than inner city drug dealing minorities for sure. The acting performances alone should have won multiple awards. You could have taken your pick from the cast and they would deserved whatever they received.

I'm a few episodes into season 2. It definitely is taking more time to set things up, but I like the direction it's going. The only challenge is its difficult to follow who is who right now. They have several different story arcs with trying to continue the Barksdale drug operation plot while also adding the seaport angle while also trying to keep all the same characters from Season 1 as a part of this season. It's a lot to take on, but it's starting to come together.

Puffy
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Or more like 18.

Sorry, thats what I meant. Missed the one on keyboard.