redsfan1995
12-19-2010, 08:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5935586

redsfan_12
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
great....

lonewolf371
12-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Okay, NOW the Brewers are looking scary. They're contenders.

rolenmvp
12-19-2010, 11:44 AM
same ole reds...sit back and do nothing.

arkimadee
12-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I forgot the brewers even existed.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Cant believe ole Walt and uncle Bob are just sitting around and doing nothing while everybody else are getting better. Im telling you guys this team was lucky to win the NLC last season. I mean the Reds are a decent team but not great. They need upgrades to compete this season. Gomes is a joke in LF and Janish is not the answer at SS. We need improvments there badly. Now make it happen.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I am sure a lot of you are happy. I have been going on and on about the FO dealing for Greinke. Nothing.

I even posted this past week, "What are you all going to do if Milwaukee gets him?"

This is a JOKE. Walt.

McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen (in his PRIME), Mulder, Kile, Holliday, Will Clark, Larry Walker, and on and on and on...

Walt, those were your moves... in St.Louis...

Where are your Game Changing Moves here?

Oh and all the people that thought the Reds would have to give up too much.... I think the Reds could have put together a comparable package.

This is DISGUSTING.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Another thing. I have been reading a lot in the ORG that the "Greinke to Milwaukee" trade doesn't even bother them, and it doesn't matter that much...

Oh and my favorite...

"Could the best deal made in the NL Central so far be the Bruce extension?" trying to slight the acquisition of Greinke by Milwaukee...

A joke... I mean really... The Greinke trade is by far the BEST move any team in the NL Central has made... Maybe the 2nd best in all of Baseball right behind Lee to Philly.

I just am so excited because I can feel the post, "He had an Anxiety award ANYWAY" coming on and that will be so Aweome to read... SARCASM

Walt should be Ashamed. He could have traded some Minor League Prospects and gave this team a CY Young Award Winner aged 27... He didn't even kick the tires...

Wait, maybe the Reds will get Cabrera again... then that will make the whole thing better.

Greinke, Fielder, Braun, Weeks, etc seems like a pretty good bunch too me...

But dont worry, we have 1 Starting Pitcher who has thrown 200+ Innings as a Starter so the Reds Should be fine... :rolleyes:

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
i'm more worried about the cards honestly. not because of what they did in the off season, but because they still have pujols, wainwright, carpenter, molina, garcia. a lot of guys had career years last year for us, gomes, cairo seemed to come up big when in. i just dont see that happening, votto will be solid, but will he be mvp like again? we expect bruce to improve, hopefully stubbs,does volquez bounce back, can cueto be consistent and become a true #1 TOR guy? looks like chapman in the pen, we all know coco is shaky.

basically to me its a lot like last year, hoping guys improve, we all expect that, but like last year gotta hope it all comes together again. wouldnt shock me if we take a step back in the standings this year. just my honest opinion.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
AND THE ROYALS SENT THE BREWERS 2 MILLION DOLLARS

That might have helped the Reds Payroll adding Greinke...

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
i'm more worried about the cards honestly. not because of what they did in the off season, but because they still have pujols, wainwright, carpenter, molina, garcia. a lot of guys had career years last year for us, gomes, cairo seemed to come up big when in. i just dont see that happening, votto will be solid, but will he be mvp like again? we expect bruce to improve, hopefully stubbs,does volquez bounce back, can cueto be consistent and become a true #1 TOR guy? looks like chapman in the pen, we all know coco is shaky.

basically to me its a lot like last year, hoping guys improve, we all expect that, but like last year gotta hope it all comes together again. wouldnt shock me if we take a step back in the standings this year. just my honest opinion.

It is NOT who you're more worried about. It is about the fact that the Reds could have acquired Greinke, and did nothing.

This is not about who you're more worried about... Brew VS. Cards

This is about the 27 year old CY YOUNG WINNER available whom the Reds did nothing to acquire...

I would have rather the Reds not resigned Cairo and Hernandez, took that 4 Million with the 2 Million the Brewers got from the Royals for Greinke, and just acquired Greinke and the 2 Million....

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 01:32 PM
It is NOT who you're more worried about. It is about the fact that the Reds could have acquired Greinke, and did nothing.

This is not about who you're more worried about... Brew VS. Cards

This is about the 27 year old CY YOUNG WINNER available whom the Reds did nothing to acquire...

I would have rather the Reds not resigned Cairo and Hernandez, took that 4 Million with the 2 Million the Brewers got from the Royals for Greinke, and just acquired Greinke and the 2 Million....

wait so youre not upset the brewers have grienke? you're just upset he wasnt traded to the reds? so if grienke goes to the yankees you're still this upset about it? seems kind of silly to be that upset about it. i'm more concerned about him facing us multiple times every year.

i'm not sad we still have leake or wood, stubbs, corzat honestly.

davereds24
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
How do you know Walt did nothing? The Brewers also took Betancourt who makes $4mil next year, so the cash they get isn't much. Adding $15mil in payroll probably wasn't an option.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Im not worried about the Reds pitching. Their pitching will be fine. Its the LF and SS postions that worry me. If Gomes is the starting LF we are in trouble, big trouble. His defense is awful and his stick isnt much better. He would be a great bench guy. But just like Cincy always does bring in a bench player and try to make him a starter. It doesnt work and Gomes has proved that for 2 years now.

With Janish at SS. His defense will be ok but his bat isnt close to MLB ready nor will it ever be. Janish a a utility guy and should never be a starter. I cold live with Janish starting SS if the Reds make a big splash in LF but its not going to happen. They will try to start two should be bench players and make no moves. Thats why they will not over achieve again this year and finish in the bottom teir of teams in the NLC. All they need to do is make one or two moves to be a favorite once again.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:46 PM
wait so youre not upset the brewers have grienke? you're just upset he wasnt traded to the reds? so if grienke goes to the yankees you're still this upset about it? seems kind of silly to be that upset about it. i'm more concerned about him facing us multiple times every year.

i'm not sad we still have leake or wood, stubbs, corzat honestly.

I would have been upset if Greinke would have gone to the Orioles, Rays, Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Red Sox, Athletics, Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Twins, Blue Jays, or the Yankees...

The Front Office does nothing. That is what makes me upset.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
How do you know Walt did nothing? The Brewers also took Betancourt who makes $4mil next year, so the cash they get isn't much. Adding $15mil in payroll probably wasn't an option.

I know Walt did nothing because Fay asked him and they never made a call to the Royals.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Leake, Janish, Heisey, Ondrsuk, and J. Smith would have got it done from the Reds side I believe. Would you have made the trade.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Leake, Janish, Heisey, Ondrsuk, and J. Smith would have got it done from the Reds side I believe. Would you have made the trade.

I don't know if that package would have got it, but I believe you're close.

YES.

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I would have been upset if Greinke would have gone to the Orioles, Rays, Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Red Sox, Athletics, Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Twins, Blue Jays, or the Yankees...

The Front Office does nothing. That is what makes me upset.

yes...getting chapman is doing nothing. trading for rolen is nothing...listen theres no question that over the past 15yrs the reds did do nothing, and i'm not pleased with some of walts moves, but at least they are doing something. they were clearly in on lee, in years past theres no way we even think of going for a rental of lee.

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I know Walt did nothing because Fay asked him and they never made a call to the Royals.

oh my god, really? walt never says anything, i dont believe for a second he didnt at least call if he was interested. he keeps everything secret, probably going as far as telling fay he hadnt even called KC. on top of that, i thought you were upset the reds havent done anything, maybe walts working some other angles right now, has fay come out and said walt is sitting around staring at the wall? come on man, you're getting fired up over nothing. this team is in good shape, we'd all like for an upgrade in LF and possibly SS, but walt is going to pick his spots and make the moves he feels are warranted.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I would be tickled pink if Walt goes and gets either Reyes to play SS or Beltran to play LF. I think either one would put the Reds way over the top in the NLC. I know all the healthy questions will arise. I just believe either one is worth the risk and would be a total upgrade at their postion. I even think Cameron would be a major upgrade in LF.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
yes...getting chapman is doing nothing. trading for rolen is nothing...listen theres no question that over the past 15yrs the reds did do nothing, and i'm not pleased with some of walts moves, but at least they are doing something. they were clearly in on lee, in years past theres no way we even think of going for a rental of lee.

Last year & Last year.

Now the difference is. This year the Reds are in Contention.

They did nothing.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
oh my god, really? walt never says anything, i dont believe for a second he didnt at least call if he was interested. he keeps everything secret, probably going as far as telling fay he hadnt even called KC. on top of that, i thought you were upset the reds havent done anything, maybe walts working some other angles right now, has fay come out and said walt is sitting around staring at the wall? come on man, you're getting fired up over nothing. this team is in good shape, we'd all like for an upgrade in LF and possibly SS, but walt is going to pick his spots and make the moves he feels are warranted.

I love it how you will defend Walt doing nothing. Awesome prerogative on your part.

:thisyear:

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I would be tickled pink if Walt goes and gets either Reyes to play SS or Beltran to play LF. I think either one would put the Reds way over the top in the NLC. I know all the healthy questions will arise. I just believe either one is worth the risk and would be a total upgrade at their postion. I even think Cameron would be a major upgrade in LF.

If the Reds cannot add Greinke and his 13.5 Million Salary, how are they going to add Reyes or Beltran 11 Million & 18.5 Million.

I would rather had Janish at SS and Greinke in the Roation than:

Rotation as is and Reyes at SS

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM

The Brewers needed a SS after they included Escobar in the Deal.

The Brewers didn't take Betancourt's Salary to get Greinke...

That is a laughable point you just made. :laugh:

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I love it how you will defend Walt doing nothing. Awesome prerogative on your part.

:thisyear:

we did win the division last year...i'm just saying im comfortable with what we have in terms of pitching. i would like to see upgrades at LF and SS but you're getting all up and arms because of this grienke deal. no one knows whats walt is doing, fay is a tool, walt isnt going to tell him anything, walt isnt an idiot. i'm sure he made a call to KC to see what it might take. maybe he didnt like what he heard, who knows, maybe was in on a deal for awhile, brewers came up with that offer and boom, who has any idea. no one, not even fay, despite what walt said to him

Krawhitham
12-19-2010, 02:13 PM
They gave a lot up for a guy who has only had one great season, and blew last season

Krawhitham
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM

they could have got Ocap for about 800k

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Last year & Last year.

Now the difference is. This year the Reds are in Contention.

They did nothing.

so the reds werent in contention last year? oh wait...they won the division.... what are you talking about?

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
so the reds werent in contention last year? oh wait...they won the division.... what are you talking about?

In the Offseason before 2010 Opening Day...

Smart one.

Krawhitham
12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
We have like 7 starting pitchers as it is, why would we trade the farm for a guy who sucked last season?

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
We have like 7 starting pitchers as it is, why would we trade the farm for a guy who sucked last season?

You obviously don't know much about Greinke and his ability.

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
They gave a lot up for a guy who has only had one great season, and blew last season

Greinke has a 2.16 ERA in the Loaded American League 2 years ago.

Started 1-8 last year when the Royals were so terrible and went strong to finish 9-6 down the stretch for a more terrible Royals Team.

Finished 10-14...

He was not in a very good situation to succeed with the Royals. Terrible Defense, worst run support in the American League...

Krawhitham
12-19-2010, 02:22 PM
You obviously don't know much about Greinke and his ability.

he has had one season with a OBP against under .300 in his career. The reds had 3 players last year do it

You must not know much about baseball

Krawhitham
12-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Greinke has a 2.16 ERA in the Loaded American League 2 years ago.

Started 1-8 last year when the Royals were so terrible and went strong to finish 9-6 down the stretch for a more terrible Royals Team.

Finished 10-14...

He was not in a very good situation to succeed with the Royals. Terrible Defense, worst run support in the American League...

He was 1-6 through May but his ERA was 3.39

After May he had a winning record (9-8) but his ERA jumped to 4.53

Hondo
12-19-2010, 02:36 PM
He was 1-6 through May but his ERA was 3.39

After May he had a winning record (9-8) but his ERA jumped to 4.53

Break it down anyway you want. He won 9 Games and lost 8 during that span with No Offense and No defense.

Ya know what Nevermind. If you all want to tear down Greinke go ahead.

The fact that this team only has 1 Starting pitcher who has EVER thrown 200+ Innings in 1 Major League Baseball Season is the major problem with this team.

The fact that none of you get that shows your naivety.

I am done talking about Greinke. All you want to do is knock him.

Zach Greinke is a Great Pitcher. Had a bad Season with a Terrible Team.

Go talk about Extensions some more and standing pat.

davereds24
12-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Yes, the Brewers were dying to have a guy who has had an OBP of .274 and .288 the last 2 seasons. And pay him 4mil on top of that! lmao

If you believe that no wonder you believe everything Fay says. :clap:

Hondo
12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes, the Brewers were dying to have a guy who has had an OBP of .274 and .288 the last 2 seasons. And pay him 4mil on top of that! lmao

If you believe that no wonder you believe everything Fay says. :clap:

Has nothing to do with Fay. I think the guy is laughable. But Walt had said that too many media outlets... MLB Network, Buster Oleny, etc... Way to really pinpoint my post... Good Job.

So the Brewers "had" to take Betancourt to make the Trade Happen? Unlikely. Then why did they give up all the prospects?

Why don't you tell the posters the other stats that you didn't want to mention.

.259 AVERAGE 16 HOMERS 78 RBI

What a joke of a post by you.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :clap:

Hondo
12-19-2010, 03:36 PM
he has had one season with a OBP against under .300 in his career. The reds had 3 players last year do it

You must not know much about baseball

Why don't you explain your post and stat a little more...

Do I have to finish this sentence... You must not know...

FlyerFanatic
12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
In the Offseason before 2010 Opening Day...

Smart one.

i dont know about you but before opening day i think most knew we might have a shot at competing with the cardinals, however i personally didnt feel last year would be the year we won the division. thought we were a year away, so i take it you didnt think we were going to contend last year?

Hondo
12-19-2010, 04:30 PM
QUOTE:

But the Royals' people, and scouts who follow the team, won't be the least bit surprised if Greinke becomes a perennial All-Star with a move to the National League and a fresh mindset.

"He's one of the best competitors and smartest pitchers out there," an AL scout said recently. "He fields his position, he holds runners and he can handle the bat. People can say what they want, but once the guy is on the mound, he has the ability to tune everything out. He's going to be the same no matter where he pitches."

QUOTE:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove10/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=5935920

gedred69
12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Jeez, the venom! Greinke might well be a big timer in the future, but if he has a good '11 season he becomes the property of the Yanks or Bosox. I would rather see Walt do something about LF and SS, (hopefully one of 'em to hit lead-off), and give Wood, Leake, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez the ball on the mound.

Vottomatic
12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I was all prepared to go buy about 20 sets of tickets for the upcoming season.

Now that I see we're probably going to finish third or fourth, and that the FO is asleep at the wheel, I think I'll save my money and watch the games on FoxSportsOhio.

Phillies smashed us in the playoffs and still added Cliff Lee to an already formidable starting pitching lineup.

Cardinals traded for Westbrook at the deadline and re-signed him to go with Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia.

Brewers are now contenders.

Houston finished '10 like we finished '09. They will be much better.

Might as well trade Votto. Surely he can't be happy watching the rest of the NL Central get better and the Reds inability to fix their own weaknesses.

12-19-2010, 05:19 PM

To be fair, the Reds really didn't have what the Royals wanted.

The Royals wanted two young cheap power arms. Bailey is too close to free agency for them, and Leake and Wood aren't the potential #1 arms they are looking for. They might be interested in the Reds included both, maybe.

They wanted 2 young, MLB ready players up the middle with high ceilings. Cozart is not near the prospect that Escobar is, and isn't MLB ready. Heisey is a 4th OF type, so that leaves Stubbs and Mesoraco, and I wouldn't include either of them for Greinke.

12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
http://robertscottweaver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

Glove o' Gold
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Why are people getting so upset? The Reds could not afford him, and SS and LF are more of a need right now. As long as the FO does something to adress SS or LF I will be happy that we didn't get Greinke.

arkimadee
12-19-2010, 08:16 PM
This thread is dead to me!

Eric the Red
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=757690;2307375 that leaves Stubbs and Mesoraco, and I wouldn't include either of them for Greinke.[/QUOTE]

+1. Those two imo are the cornerstones along with Bruce and Votto of our future (3-4 yrs). I just don't see Greinke's impact over the next two years being as great as Stubbs and Mesoraco's will be.

nmculbreth
12-20-2010, 12:34 AM
While I'm not particularly happy to see Greinke land with the Brewers, I can't really fault the Reds front office for not being able to land him. Unfortunately the Reds and the Royals didn't match up particularly well for a trade and the Brewers were able to address areas of need that the Reds could not. Most of the Reds MI / CF talent is in the lower levels and the Royals were looking to get players who were closer to producing at the major league level.

That said, the Brewers pitching starting pitching staff has gone from horrendous to a strength after trading for Greinke and Marcum. They definitely hurt their defense a bit by dealing Cain and Escobar in the same deal and their bullpen is still very mediocre. This deal certainly puts them in the discussion for the top team in the NL central but they're far from a lock.

12-20-2010, 02:38 AM
While I'm not particularly happy to see Greinke land with the Brewers, I can't really fault the Reds front office for not being able to land him. Unfortunately the Reds and the Royals didn't match up particularly well for a trade and the Brewers were able to address areas of need that the Reds could not. Most of the Reds MI / CF talent is in the lower levels and the Royals were looking to get players who were closer to producing at the major league level.

That said, the Brewers pitching starting pitching staff has gone from horrendous to a strength after trading for Greinke and Marcum. They definitely hurt their defense a bit by dealing Cain and Escobar in the same deal and their bullpen is still very mediocre. This deal certainly puts them in the discussion for the top team in the NL central but they're far from a lock.

Very well put. I agree on all counts.

The way I see it, the Brewers just bought themselves a seat at the table, but they used up all their buy in money to do it. They have to play with what they have, while the other players have reserves they can buy into when they need to. They are in contention, which they weren't before this trade, but are by no means the favorite.

mattfeet
12-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Agreed. If they can't stay healthy, they're in trouble.

-Matt

brm7675
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Adding 1 pitcher doesn't take the Brewers from bad to great. Add into that they will lose Prince Fielder at some point during the season which will hurt their offense and I still don't see this team being that much better. I really belive many people are overvaluing this former Cy young winner and when all is said and done it won't turn out to be that big of a deal. i am willing to bet he doesn't win more then 11-12 games next year and his era will be in the mid to upper 3's, which is no where that good given what the Brewers gave up or what the Reds already have.....

webbbj
12-20-2010, 11:22 AM
its still december. i know its disheartening nothing has happened yet. but our two biggest needs SS and LF have not been taken away by any other team that we were in contention for. (we were never getting crawford or werth so their not even worth mentioning). we may be topped out on payroll this year but that doesnt rule out trades that can balance out the payroll.

mattfeet
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh what I'd give to get Ryan Braun in a Reds uniform.......

-Matt

Todd Gack
12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I am sure a lot of you are happy. I have been going on and on about the FO dealing for Greinke. Nothing.

I even posted this past week, "What are you all going to do if Milwaukee gets him?"

This is a JOKE. Walt.

McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen (in his PRIME), Mulder, Kile, Holliday, Will Clark, Larry Walker, and on and on and on...

Walt, those were your moves... in St.Louis...

Where are your Game Changing Moves here?

Oh and all the people that thought the Reds would have to give up too much.... I think the Reds could have put together a comparable package.

This is DISGUSTING.

You want to trade prospects and then pay this guy 15-20 million a year when he had a nervous breakdown in Kansas City?

bounty37h
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Me personally, nope. I honestly am not impressed by Greinke, so not getting my shorts all balled up over this. I would have been happy if we got him-dont get me wrong-but in my opinion, I would take Leake and Wood over Greinke any day of the week. And yes, I know he won a CY Young.

nmculbreth
12-20-2010, 03:40 PM
its still december. i know its disheartening nothing has happened yet. but our two biggest needs SS and LF have not been taken away by any other team that we were in contention for. (we were never getting crawford or werth so their not even worth mentioning). we may be topped out on payroll this year but that doesnt rule out trades that can balance out the payroll.

In fairness to Walt and the rest of the front office, there weren't a ton of options out there to address team needs. Everyone keeps clamoring for a SS, but who would you have wanted the Reds to go after? The free agent market was very thin and the options available for trade offered very little upgrade over the clubs current situation. Outside of Hardy and Jeter, I cannot think of a single SS option that I thought would be an appreciable upgrade over Janish and we all know Jeter was never leaving NYC for Cincinnati.

There were options to upgrade the LF situation, namely Crawford and Werth, but I wouldn't have wanted the Reds to try to match either of the contracts they received. At some point I think Jocketty and the FO will address this need, I just want them to do it in a manner that doesn't hurt the club in the long run.

Vottomatic
12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
In fairness to Walt and the rest of the front office, there weren't a ton of options out there to address team needs. Everyone keeps clamoring for a SS, but who would you have wanted the Reds to go after? The free agent market was very thin and the options available for trade offered very little upgrade over the clubs current situation. Outside of Hardy and Jeter, I cannot think of a single SS option that I thought would be an appreciable upgrade over Janish and we all know Jeter was never leaving NYC for Cincinnati.

There were options to upgrade the LF situation, namely Crawford and Werth, but I wouldn't have wanted the Reds to try to match either of the contracts they received. At some point I think Jocketty and the FO will address this need, I just want them to do it in a manner that doesn't hurt the club in the long run.

Now that I've calmed down, I can understand standing pat and hoping that the young players continue to get better. I realize there is alot of potential with this Reds team.

But I will concede that the stars aligned just right last season, and that the NL Central was down, along with the Cardinals atypically struggling. I don't see that happening next season. All these moves by NL Central clubs show that they aren't going to roll over and die, and that they know the division is there for the taking.

I even think they think the Reds "lucked" into winning the division, which I'm not exactly sure isn't true. Bad division last year. Reds come out of nowhere unexpectedly to win it.

Frankly, I'll be more impressed if the Reds can duplicate this year because everyone will be gunning for them, and they are now a known entity.

It's just hard to watch everyone else improve their deficiencies, and your own team (Reds) act like they don't have any deficiencies and therefore not address them.

Hondo
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
You want to trade prospects and then pay this guy 15-20 million a year when he had a nervous breakdown in Kansas City?

He makes 13.5 Minus 2 Million incliuded in the deal.

He did not have a nervous break down. Read the facts please.

Vottomatic
12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Lance's blog had an article stating that between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday afternoon, the Brewers sold 1,100 additional season ticket packages.

Hmmm.

Say those were for a set of 4 seats. Say those seats cost $20 each. That's $80 for each game x 81 games = $6,480 x 1,100 season ticket packages = $7,128,000

Hmmm. That's in 2 days. Wonder how many more they'll sell due to acquiring Greinke.

Hondo
12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Lance's blog had an article stating that between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday afternoon, the Brewers sold 1,100 additional season ticket packages.

Hmmm.

Say those were for a set of 4 seats. Say those seats cost $20 each. That's $80 for each game x 81 games = $6,480 x 1,100 season ticket packages = $7,128,000

Hmmm. That's in 2 days. Wonder how many more they'll sell due to acquiring Greinke.

Great Point sir...

davereds24
12-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Hmmm.

They said they sold 1,100. That means 1,100 seats not 4,400. That also means they don't have to be full season tix. Probably more like $1mil in sales. No doubt he will have some big gates when he pitches though the 16 or so home games if he stays healthy.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
They said they sold 1,100. That means 1,100 seats not 4,400. That also means they don't have to be full season tix. Probably more like $1mil in sales. No doubt he will have some big gates when he pitches though the 16 or so home games if he stays healthy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5947435

MILWAUKEE -- Zack Greinke already is paying off for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Team officials say they've added more than 1,500 new season-ticket holders since Sunday's trade with the Kansas City Royals, more than tripling the 400 new account holders the team had added in the first few months of the offseason.

Rick Schlesinger, the Brewers' executive vice president of business operations, says response from fans has exceeded "even our most optimistic expectations." He says the trade also has helped the team's sponsorship and retail sales.

davereds24
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
that was already posted. a few more hundred packages isn't much. you think making $1.5mil in ticket sales makes up for the $15mil the brewers added to payroll from the trade?

Hondo
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
that was already posted. a few more hundred packages isn't much. you think making $1.5mil in ticket sales makes up for the $15mil the brewers added to payroll from the trade?

They traded for Bentancourt to replace Escobar.

The trade added 11.5 Million and your math is wrong...

and yes, I posted this about 3 times.

Quatitos
12-23-2010, 06:43 PM
They traded for Bentancourt to replace Escobar.

The trade added 11.5 Million and your math is wrong...

and yes, I posted this about 3 times.

Lets look at this and actually use math skills.

Brewers add:
Zach Greinke: 13.5 mil
Yuniesky Betancourt: 4 mil (6 mil club option in 12 and 2 mil buyout)

Brewers lose:
Alcides Escobar: .4 mil (assume they all make league minimum, if you know different then correct my math)
Lorenzo Cain: .4 mil
Jake Odorizzi: .4 mil
Jeremy Jeffries: .4 mil
2 million in salary covered by royals

so 13.5+4-2-1.6=13.9 million
and since I think only .4 million was on the Brewers major league salary, they really added about 15.1 to their major league salary. If the other three were on the major league salary feel free to correct me :).

I don't know where you get 11.5 from but your not actually looking at the whole trade then and have been misleading people 3 times. That or you fail at math while trying to say someone else's math is wrong :p:.

Hondo
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Lets look at this and actually use math skills.

Brewers add:
Zach Greinke: 13.5 mil
Yuniesky Betancourt: 4 mil (6 mil club option in 12 and 2 mil buyout)

Brewers lose:
Alcides Escobar: .4 mil (assume they all make league minimum, if you know different then correct my math)
Lorenzo Cain: .4 mil
Jake Odorizzi: .4 mil
Jeremy Jeffries: .4 mil
2 million in salary covered by royals

so 13.5+4-2-1.6=13.9 million
and since I think only .4 million was on the Brewers major league salary, they really added about 15.1 to their major league salary. If the other three were on the major league salary feel free to correct me :).

I don't know where you get 11.5 from but your not actually looking at the whole trade then and have been misleading people 3 times. That or you fail at math while trying to say someone else's math is wrong :p:.

What part of they added Betancourt because they were trading their Starting SS to the Royals don't you and your smilies understand...

And Odorizzi is not on the ML roster so he won't be making anything on the major league payroll but that has really nothing to do with it.

Quatitos
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
What part of they added Betancourt because they were trading their Starting SS to the Royals don't you and your smilies understand...

And Odorizzi is not on the ML roster so he won't be making anything on the major league payroll but that has really nothing to do with it.

Betancourt was just another salary dump, if you think they actually wanted him as their starting shortstop then you can keep kidding yourself that. Although if you consider Betancourt a starter then I don't know what you think Janish is :p:. Oh yeah, Odorizzi not on the ML roster hurts your point, I was trying to be as generous as possible for how much money the brewers took on.

Hondo
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Betancourt was just another salary dump, if you think they actually wanted him as their starting shortstop then you can keep kidding yourself that. Although if you consider Betancourt a starter then I don't know what you think Janish is :p:. Oh yeah, Odorizzi not on the ML roster hurts your point, I was trying to be as generous as possible for how much money the brewers took on.

So they didn't need another SS after they traded away Escobar?

I would agree the Royals dumped Betancourt's Salary but the Brewers were obviously trading for him to also replace Escobar...

brm7675
12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
So they didn't need another SS after they traded away Escobar?

I would agree the Royals dumped Betancourt's Salary but the Brewers were obviously trading for him to also replace Escobar...

or could it have been that the Royals said either take this kid or no deal?

Hondo
12-30-2010, 02:31 PM
or could it have been that the Royals said either take this kid or no deal?

Who on the Brewers Roster would be the starting SS with Escobar traded? Could it be that when the Royals obvoiusly would have to have Escobar, that the Brewers took their starting SS who hit 24 Home Runs and 78 RBI by getting 2 birds with 1 stone???? So it worked well for both teams...

brm7675
12-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Who on the Brewers Roster would be the starting SS with Escobar traded? Could it be that when the Royals obvoiusly would have to have Escobar, that the Brewers took their starting SS who hit 24 Home Runs and 78 RBI by getting 2 birds with 1 stone???? So it worked well for both teams...

okay if you are okay with who the Brewers now have at SS over who they had then fine.:confused:

Hondo
12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
okay if you are okay with who the Brewers now have at SS over who they had then fine.:confused:

The point is they needed a replacement. They found it in the Greinke trade and the Royals could have afforded to keep him at his salary but chose to dumo the salary to go with younger players...

It worked out for Both Teams... and I actually think if Jeffress gets off Drugs and Oraizzi both become servicable pitchers, this could be a steal for the Royals...