PDA

View Full Version : Would these numbers be good enough for our SS

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:19 PM
If we could get a GG type of SS who could post these type of offensive numbers would you be happy especially if he cost us under say 1.5 million per season...

10-15 Homeruns per year
50-60 RBI's per year
.260-.270 avg
.350+ obp
.380-.400 slg

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:22 PM
If we could get a GG type of SS who could post these type of offensive numbers would you be happy especially if he cost us under say 1.5 million per season...

10-15 Homeruns per year
50-60 RBI's per year
.260-.270 avg
.350+ obp
.380-.400 slg

Question: What SS is going to put up those Numbers?

Answer: Not Paul Janish

Your Answer: Paul Janish

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Question: What SS is going to put up those Numbers?

Answer: Not Paul Janish

Your Answer: Paul Janish

No the question is, would you be okay with those numbers from your short stop who is paid under 1.5 million and has GG potential.

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:37 PM
No the question is, would you be okay with those numbers from your short stop who is paid under 1.5 million and has GG potential.

HYpotheticals is in another thread I think...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:41 PM
HYpotheticals is in another thread I think...

No hypotheticals, if the Reds SS whoever that might be posted those kind of numbers and at the cost i stated, would he be a good choice?

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:43 PM
No hypotheticals, if the Reds SS whoever that might be posted those kind of numbers and at the cost i stated, would he be a good choice?

GO ahead... Janish will be a starter and batting 2nd in the lineup. I will remind you in May when he is batting average starts sinking the battleship...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:47 PM
GO ahead... Janish will be a starter and batting 2nd in the lineup. I will remind you in May when he is batting average starts sinking the battleship...

Who said anything about batting him second? At no time have I ever said bat him second, in fact I said you bat him 8th, now if Dusty is to stupid to see that, how is that janish's fault?

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Who said anything about batting him second? At no time have I ever said bat him second, in fact I said you bat him 8th, now if Dusty is to stupid to see that, how is that janish's fault?

Thats what is going to happen Dude...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
okay what if your starting SS put up these numbers for his first 3 seasons on your team, would you keep him or dump him?

BA: .260 - .205 - .209
obp: .324 - .246 - .272
HR: 1 - 1 - 2
RBI's 19 - 20 - 29
SLG .317 - .251 - .270
GP: 101 - 130 - 119

If you are the GM and manager, you have seen your starting SS post these numbers in his first 3 seasons...would you bring him back for a fourth? Would you bench him or just get rid of him?

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Thats what is going to happen Dude...

So again how is that Janish's fault that the manager is an idiot?

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:56 PM
okay what if your starting SS put up these numbers for his first 3 seasons on your team, would you keep him or dump him?

BA: .260 - .205 - .209
obp: .324 - .246 - .272
HR: 1 - 1 - 2
RBI's 19 - 20 - 29
SLG .317 - .251 - .270
GP: 101 - 130 - 119

If you are the GM and manager, you have seen your starting SS post these numbers in his first 3 seasons...would you bring him back for a fourth? Would you bench him or just get rid of him?

I would find a more producative player... If that player was 20-21-22 years of age, sure... but Janish is 28 Man!

brm7675
12-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I would find a more producative player... If that player was 20-21-22 years of age, sure... but Janish is 28 Man!

So you would have cut that SS who posted those type of numbers his first three season in the show? Don't you think you should give him a few more years to see if he is going to develope?

Hondo
12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
So you would have cut that SS who posted those type of numbers his first three season in the show? Don't you think you should give him a few more years to see if he is going to develope?

In 2 or 3 more years, Janish will be 30 dude...

He is 28, how much more do you think he is going to D E V E L O P ?

brm7675
12-24-2010, 06:28 PM
In 2 or 3 more years, Janish will be 30 dude...

He is 28, how much more do you think he is going to D E V E L O P ?

i am not asking for Janish to be the SS for 2-3 years, I am looking at next season. i believe if batted in the 8th spot and allowed to play everyday he could easily beat out the numbers i posted at the beginning. No he is never going to be Barry Larkin, but we don't need that, we need a SS who is GG caliber and can help cover for a very poor defensive 3rd basemen.

Nathan
12-24-2010, 06:34 PM
i am not asking for Janish to be the SS for 2-3 years, I am looking at next season. i believe if batted in the 8th spot and allowed to play everyday he could easily beat out the numbers i posted at the beginning. No he is never going to be Barry Larkin, but we don't need that, we need a SS who is GG caliber and can help cover for a very poor defensive 3rd basemen.

He doesn't have the power in your hypothetical.

Janish at shortstop isn't going to make or break this team, either. They have enough offense in their lineup that one player isn't going to sink them.

brm7675
12-24-2010, 06:40 PM
He doesn't have the power in your hypothetical.

Janish at shortstop isn't going to make or break this team, either. They have enough offense in their lineup that one player isn't going to sink them.

What kind of power do you think the SS should have?

Hondo
12-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Rolen is not a very bad defensive third baseman

brm7675
12-24-2010, 06:52 PM

For those balls hit right at him you are right that are not tough to play you are right, but don't ask him to move to his right or left or lay out for balls anymore or he will end up on the DL. Rolen had zero buisness winning a gold glove last season, his benefit to this team is NOT his defense.

Nathan
12-24-2010, 07:00 PM
What kind of power do you think the SS should have?

I could care less about power at the shortstop, as long as he's not a black hole offensively. I was just saying I don't think Janish is a 10-15 HR guy. He'd be lucky if he hit 5 in a season. He will be alright until we develop a player who can both hit and field well there.

I don't mind if Catcher or Shortstop are defense first players, as long as you have the offense in the rest of the lineup to cover for them (which the Reds, IMO, do.)

brm7675
12-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I could care less about power at the shortstop, as long as he's not a black hole offensively. I was just saying I don't think Janish is a 10-15 HR guy. He'd be lucky if he hit 5 in a season. He will be alright until we develop a player who can both hit and field well there.

I don't mind if Catcher or Shortstop are defense first players, as long as you have the offense in the rest of the lineup to cover for them (which the Reds, IMO, do.)

He had 5 this past season in only 90 games, i don't see why he can't pop another 5 over 60-65 more games and consistant playing time.

Nathan
12-24-2010, 07:07 PM
He had 5 this past season in only 90 games, i don't see why he can't pop another 5 over 60-65 more games and consistant playing time.

If he does, great, if not, I'm not too worried about it.

brm7675
12-24-2010, 07:09 PM
If he does, great, if not, I'm not too worried about it.

I agree, I much more value him for what he brings in the field, not at the plate and what his cost is. With Rolen losing steps as he ages, it is vital you have a SS with great range and a good arm. Again i don't see Janish as our SS for the next 5-7 years, but for the 2011 season i see no reason to waste players/cash on a temp fix which is all we would be doing.

Vottomatic
12-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't see what being 28 years old has anything to do with being a good SS.

Nobody has a clue whether or not Janish will be consistent enough or hold up physically for a full season as a starter. BUT..........management has stuck with Bruce and Stubbs through good times and bad times, and there have been plenty of both. It hasn't been pretty at times. In fact, I've been somewhat annoyed that Heisey wasn't afforded the same luxury.

Hot streaks and slumps are part of baseball.

But as soon as Janish has a slump next season, all the petty naysayers will come out in full force and blame it on his lack of durability or something else silly instead of it being a slump comparable to 99% of what all baseball players go through.

Janish will be fine. He's cheap. He's a quality defensive SS. And he won't hurt us offensively as long as Dusty doesn't bat him in the top half of the order.

Hondo
12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't see what being 28 years old has anything to do with being a good SS.

Nobody has a clue whether or not Janish will be consistent enough or hold up physically for a full season as a starter. BUT..........management has stuck with Bruce and Stubbs through good times and bad times, and there have been plenty of both. It hasn't been pretty at times. In fact, I've been somewhat annoyed that Heisey wasn't afforded the same luxury.

Hot streaks and slumps are part of baseball.

But as soon as Janish has a slump next season, all the petty naysayers will come out in full force and blame it on his lack of durability or something else silly instead of it being a slump comparable to 99% of what all baseball players go through.

Janish will be fine. He's cheap. He's a quality defensive SS. And he won't hurt us offensively as long as Dusty doesn't bat him in the top half of the order.

I was pointing out to brdm or whatever his name is that Janish is what he is... He is 28 and not going to develop into any more than he already is... THe BDRM guy said give Janish a few seasons to develop... I said he would be 30 in two years and he is what he is...

Krawhitham
12-26-2010, 05:38 PM

10-15 Homeruns per year
50-60 RBI's per year
.260-.270 avg
.350+ obp
.380-.400 slg

Those #'s are doable by Janish because he plays half his games in Great American Small Park

But I think his glove alone is more that enough reason to pencil him in everyday

Krawhitham
12-26-2010, 05:40 PM

if he can get to it he is great, but his range has dropped off a cliff

Vottomatic
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I was pointing out to brdm or whatever his name is that Janish is what he is... He is 28 and not going to develop into any more than he already is... THe BDRM guy said give Janish a few seasons to develop... I said he would be 30 in two years and he is what he is...

.....yet people on this board have considered re-signing OCab and Renteria, two old SS's. Go figure.

For the money, I'll take my chances with Janish.

Hondo
12-27-2010, 04:37 PM
.....yet people on this board have considered re-signing OCab and Renteria, two old SS's. Go figure.

For the money, I'll take my chances with Janish.

I am kinda hoping Cozart takes it in ST...