PDA

View Full Version : Jim Caple (ESPN) Picks Reds To Be In World Series

HalMorrisRules
12-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Off Bases's 2011 Predictions (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/101229_2011_predictions&sportCat=mlb)

The key paragraph for Reds fans is this one:

Without the Yankees to lose to in the division series, the Twins will win the World Series and become baseball's seventh different champion in seven seasons and 10th in 11 seasons. They and the Reds will become the 16th different teams in the World Series in the past 11 seasons, but fans and local media whose teams do not reach the postseason will still complain that baseball lacks competitive balance.

While I would prefer to win the whole thing, it would be hard to complain about this coming year's team if they go that far in the postseason.

TheBigLebowski
12-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Off Bases's 2011 Predictions (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/101229_2011_predictions&sportCat=mlb)

The key paragraph for Reds fans is this one:

While I would prefer to win the whole thing, it would be hard to complain about this coming year's team if they go that far in the postseason.

Of course it could happen.....anything could.....but just using even the most basic baseball acumen, it's almost impossible to project a team without a true #1 starter (although the staff is deep with #2-#4 guys) getting through the NL and taking down divisional rivals who have two true aces (Brews with Gallardo and Greinke, Cards with Carpenter and Wainwright) and a potential playoff foe with 4 (Philly - Lee, Hamels, Oswalt and Halladay). It just makes no sense to pick the Reds right now. Injuries could befall those teams....or Cueto could all of a sudden turn into Pedro....Travis Wood might be Cliff Lee 2.0....Aroldis could end up in the rotation and be Randy Johnson 2.0....Edinson might become a good pitcher again, etc....but it just makes no sense to look at the teams on paper right now and pick the Reds.

TheBigLebowski
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh - DUH - I also forgot to mention the defending World Champs, also from the NL, your San Fran Giants....who also happen to have a kick-(butt) pitching staff with Lincecum, Sanchez, Cain, Bumgarner and Zito.

Mr. Redlegs73
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes baseball is a sport where anything can happen. No one thought the 1990 Reds would win the world series let alone sweep the "Mighty A's." Lets let the season play out and just be grateful this team is ran by someone who wants to win and not like or other "professional" team. Besides if memory serves me right no one thought we really had a #1 in 90 either. Sure Rijo turned into our #1 but he wasn't thought of that at the beginnning of that season.

Hondo
12-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes baseball is a sport where anything can happen. No one thought the 1990 Reds would win the world series let alone sweep the "Mighty A's." Lets let the season play out and just be grateful this team is ran by someone who wants to win and not like or other "professional" team. Besides if memory serves me right no one thought we really had a #1 in 90 either. Sure Rijo turned into our #1 but he wasn't thought of that at the beginnning of that season.

I will agree with everything you said except about Rijo, He was the obvious Number 1 on that staff going 13-8 with a 2.39 ERA in 1988 and having an injury year in 1989 going 7-6 with a 2.84 ERA...

If it wasn't for guys like Jack Armstrong Stepping up and Hal Morris taking over at First Base for Todd Benzinger, man oh man... that would have unfolded differently...

Browning was so good back then too... 15 Wins! But check this out Only 99K and 52 walks in 227.2 Innings... Wow! Thats a lot of balls in play with a 3.80 ERA and 235 hits allowed...

UPRedsFan
12-30-2010, 01:11 PM
So let's compare the 90 staff to today's

Rijo
Jackson
Browning
Armstrong
Scudder/Charlton

Volquez (ranked in terms of ability in my opinion)
Cueto
Wood
Arroyo
Bailey/Leake

Today's staff has all the potential in the world of equaling or beating the 90 staff. I think we've got 4 pitchers who will all be under 4.0 era. It will be fun to see what they can do next year.

Hondo
12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
So let's compare the 90 staff to today's

Rijo
Jackson
Browning
Armstrong
Scudder/Charlton

Volquez (ranked in terms of ability in my opinion)
Cueto
Wood
Arroyo
Bailey/Leake

Today's staff has all the potential in the world of equaling or beating the 90 staff. I think we've got 4 pitchers who will all be under 4.0 era. It will be fun to see what they can do next year.

Well IMO Wood and Leake are the Reds Glavine and Maddux... I just have great hopes for those 2... Wood an his near no hit perfecto and Leake just putting the ball anywhere he wants it...

Cueto should Improve and be solid... If Volquez can somehow pitch 200+ Innings then that would mean his production is getting a High K rate and he is pitching past 6 innings per start...

I wish the Reds would trade Cordero to a team in Need of a Closer and try Masset in the Closer Role and use Chapman and Bailey to set up... Grooming Bailey for the Closers job in 2012 and Chapman going to the rotation in 2012...

brm7675
12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
I just don't see Bailey as a closer, he just doesn't have it mentally to handle it. I see him as good trade bait though for a quality LF.

Mr. Redlegs73
12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I could see Chapman, Masset and Leake, taking on the role of the New Nasty Boys circa 1990. As for what I said about Rijo I was going off of the 89 Season. My point being I don't think there was really a set #1 starter in 1990. There were people who stepped up all through out that roster that year as well. I mean look at what Hatcher did in the series. I believe it's a record that still stands today for hits in a series.

brm7675
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I could see Chapman, Masset and Leake, taking on the role of the New Nasty Boys circa 1990. As for what I said about Rijo I was going off of the 89 Season. My point being I don't think there was really a set #1 starter in 1990. There were people who stepped up all through out that roster that year as well. I mean look at what Hatcher did in the series. I believe it's a record that still stands today for hits in a series.

I would HOPE that the Reds would not waste the talents of either Chapman or Leake in that type of Role...

BLark = HOF
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM

With the Reds dishing out $30 mil to Chapman, I don't at all see the Reds keeping him in the bullpen for too much longer.

Roush's socks
01-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Right now, the Reds look like a better regular season team than playoff contender. Their best strength is their depth and balance, rather than having 1-2 dominant starters. But all of their starters except Arroyo are young and could still be a TOR type pitcher. Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Leake, and Wood have all shown flashes of brilliance. The Reds just have to hope 1-2 of them puts it all together.

The reason I could see making the Reds a WS pick- of all last year's playoff teams they have the most young (pre-25) players who are still getting better. They don't need to make trades because young talent gets better. Expensive free agent talent gets worse every year. That is why the Reds are contenders IMO.

UPRedsFan
01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
And that's why they'll remain contenders for the next several years. It's what we've been wanting for 2 decades!

Let's not trade away the youth and balance. You can win it all if you make the playoffs and get hot at the right time. The 90 team proved that.