PDA

View Full Version : How and WHOM will be the Reds rotation

brm7675
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Right now we have 6 guys for 5 spots, with that 5 spot someone who might not see much consistant action over the first couple of months of the season. So of those listed below, who is on your 5 man rotation and in what order?

Bronson A.
Travis W
Mike L.
Johnny C.
Edison V.
Homer B.

Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
Cuteo - 2
Wood - 3
Volequz - 4
Leake - 5

Which leaves Bailey out. I am just not sold on him, I would really look hard to move him for some bat help if possible, but right now he is not in my starting rotation and i don't think he is mentally able to pitch out of the pen.

mattfeet
01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
Cuteo - 2
Wood - 3
Volequz - 4
Wood - 5

Im assuming you don't have Wood pitching twice in 5 days on purpose, right?

webbbj
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
dont think id go with a 4 man rotation.

brm7675
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Im assuming you don't have Wood pitching twice in 5 days on purpose, right?

My bad, Wood would be 3, I have Leake as my 5 guy, still want to work him in slowly...

mattfeet
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Right now Wood is my fifth starter, he will see the least amount of action of the 5 starters.

He's also listed as your third starter...

bounty37h
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
assume he meant Leake in the 3 spot

Hondo
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
assume he meant Leake in the 3 spot

No I think he thinks Wood can go on 1 days rest every week...

Old NDN
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Bailey's the odd man out. However, I'm not sold on Volquez or Leake. Volquez was just too shaky at the end of the season. Hopefully, it's just the effects of the post TJ surgery and he becomes more consistent.... something he's never really been in his career. Lots of theories for Leake's struggles the last part of the season. Was it pitch count, fatigue, or had hitters figured him out after a few times around the league?

UPRedsFan
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I think Homer will beat one of them out - Volquez or Leake.

Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year. On the other hand, what will we get with Volquez? Who knows? Will we get Leake's first half or second half? or something in between?

brm7675
01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I think Homer will beat one of them out - Volquez or Leake.

Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year. On the other hand, what will we get with Volquez? Who knows? Will we get Leake's first half or second half? or something in between?

I think both are a work in progress. I think both will have their bumps in teh road each for different reasons, but i think long term Leake will have a better career, but I like that we have both. I couldn't disagree more with you on homer, I just don't see the mental part being there...

Nathan
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year.

Same could be said of the last couple years.

I'm not buying Homer yet. He would be my trade candidate.

Tadasimha
01-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Right now we have 6 guys for 5 spots, with that 5 spot someone who might not see much consistant action over the first couple of months of the season. So of those listed below, who is on your 5 man rotation and in what order?

Bronson A.
Travis W
Mike L.
Johnny C.
Edison V.
Homer B.

Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
Cuteo - 2
Wood - 3
Volequz - 4
Leake - 5

Which leaves Bailey out. I am just not sold on him, I would really look hard to move him for some bat help if possible, but right now he is not in my starting rotation and i don't think he is mentally able to pitch out of the pen.

Bailey came out of the pen against the Phils and shut them down for two innings and looked really good doing so. I think he could be a very good middle reliever, possibly going long innings if needed to and giving the team the occasional spot start.

That said, I'm still not sure that he couldn't be a good starter. His outing against the Dodgers last season was masterful and he's only 24 years old. He might be ready to break out big time this coming season.

Nice problem to have!

Vottomatic
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I expect one to be traded by opening day.

IF they all are here, I'd go with a 6 man rotation. Not kidding.

Quatitos
01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Bailey's the odd man out. However, I'm not sold on Volquez or Leake. Volquez was just too shaky at the end of the season. Hopefully, it's just the effects of the post TJ surgery and he becomes more consistent.... something he's never really been in his career. Lots of theories for Leake's struggles the last part of the season. Was it pitch count, fatigue, or had hitters figured him out after a few times around the league?

Actually, Volquez got better as his time in the majors back from surgery went on. The control he showed in his last couple games was very impressive considering how recently he had returned from surgery. Admittedly that last split only cover 4 games so small sample size clearly applies.

I Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
July 1 1 .500 8.25 3 3 0 0 0 0 12.0 14 11 11 3 10 0 16 1 0 0 61 2.000 12.0 1.60
August 2 1 .667 5.09 5 5 0 0 0 0 23.0 28 13 13 3 17 0 20 2 0 2 111 1.957 7.8 1.18
Sept/Oct 1 1 .500 1.95 4 4 0 0 0 0 27.2 17 6 6 0 8 0 31 0 0 3 103 0.904 10.1 3.88

As for Leake, I would probably say it was a mix of fatigue and hitters figuring him out the next time around. I would hope that once his stamina is built up he would be more able to adjust to batters figuring him out.

Also, since Bailey is out of options, and the Reds want to give him one more shot at the rotation, it will most likely be Leake or Wood as the odd man out. I would say that Wood is probably better to have in the rotation since he is a lefty and with some of the promise he showed last year.

davereds24
01-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Someone will struggle or get injured before opening day. As for the 5th man not getting much action early, I believe they cut back on the number of off days this year. With a young rotation I doubt you see the 5th spot getting skipped much if it all.

UPRedsFan
01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Same could be said of the last couple years.

I'm not buying Homer yet. He would be my trade candidate.

He's 1 year into learning the split finger as a 3rd pitch. Remember how Pujols has described Bailey. He could turn into Curt Schilling and you want to trade him?

As for the mental part of the game, how about his mental toughness against the Phils, on the road, in a playoff atmosphere? Homer will be in the rotation this year. Leake and Volquez will battle in the spring. If Volquez shows control issues, he goes to AAA to work it out. If Volquez looks good, Leake goes to long relief.

I wouldn't trade Homer just because we have 6 starters. Now, if I'm blown away with an offer of a pre-arbitration young outfielder with star potential, then I'd have to rethink. Remember pitching depth and defense is what's going to make the Reds long term contenders (like the Twins). Homer is a core part of that equation.

Kingspoint
01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I'll pick the five guys who are the most healthy during the first week of April.

We're so much better just because Aaron Harang is gone.

Ohioballplayer
01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
He's 1 year into learning the split finger as a 3rd pitch. Remember how Pujols has described Bailey. He could turn into Curt Schilling and you want to trade him?

As for the mental part of the game, how about his mental toughness against the Phils, on the road, in a playoff atmosphere? Homer will be in the rotation this year. Leake and Volquez will battle in the spring. If Volquez shows control issues, he goes to AAA to work it out. If Volquez looks good, Leake goes to long relief.

I wouldn't trade Homer just because we have 6 starters. Now, if I'm blown away with an offer of a pre-arbitration young outfielder with star potential, then I'd have to rethink. Remember pitching depth and defense is what's going to make the Reds long term contenders (like the Twins). Homer is a core part of that equation.

Amen, finally one of 2 people that get it, heck, even Halladay didn't figure it out until he was 25, cut this kid some slack, he has all-star potential!

bleedsred
01-17-2011, 12:41 PM
No way would I trade a young pitcher off this team. Does anyone know the contract situation with all these guys....like how many years of control do the Reds have with them? Bailey, Volquez, Cueto, Wood, Leake, Maloney, Chapman???

With Ondrusek, Smith, Fisher, Masset, Lecure and Valiquette in the pen, think 2-3 years from know what the central will look like with the Reds having the ability to run these guys out there....the Brewers, Cubs, and Cards all have big questions to answer in the upcoming years while the Reds have locked up Bruce and Votto along with having Stubbs/ Janish/ Heisey and legit prospects at catcher, Francisco, Alonso, Cozart, Frazier, and Valaika....exciting time to be a Reds fan.

I think the Reds are a playoff contender this year, but in 2012 they will be World Series contenders.

RoundingThird
01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I think Leake's bat could be a real asset in long relief.

RedsLvr
01-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Do you remember how Joe Morgan described Johnny Gomes during the Civil Rights Game? Just because someone says something doesnt mean its true or it will come to be.

Captain13
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Amen, finally one of 2 people that get it, heck, even Halladay didn't figure it out until he was 25, cut this kid some slack, he has all-star potential!

He's still young, and he has great stuff. I have NOT given up on Homer. This kid could win a Cy Young before it's over.:beerme:

RedsLvr
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
He's still young, and he has great stuff. I have NOT given up on Homer. This kid could win a Cy Young before it's over.:beerme:

I want to believe in Homer, but he's been given 4 years to prove he belongs in the big leagues, and he has yet to have one season where he hasn't pitched mediocre. Sometimes you just need to know when you need to move on and find someone better.

Captain13
01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I want to believe in Homer, but he's been given 4 years to prove he belongs in the big leagues, and he has yet to have one season where he hasn't pitched mediocre. Sometimes you just need to know when you need to move on and find someone better.

At his age, a lot pitchers are still struggling their way through the minors, but you do have a point. This could be the "make or break" season for Homer. If he doesn't show more consistancy, he may (and should) find his way out of the rotation in Cincy.

RedsLvr
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM
At his age, a lot pitchers are still struggling their way through the minors, but you do have a point. This could be the "make or break" season for Homer. If he doesn't show more consistancy, he may (and should) find his way out of the rotation in Cincy.

Well he should have never been brought up. The major leagues isn't the place for improving as a pitcher. You don't have the time to work on new pitches like you do in the minor leagues. You don't have time to work on that mechanical stuff. It's eat, sleep, baseball for 5-6 months straight.

PeteRoseBelongs
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
hard to judge Volquez. The guy was coming back from major injury. I think he has it and I think he will be in the starting rotation.

I love the fact that we have this problem but I wouldn't trade any of them. Got to keep them. Fact of life in baseball as it pertains to pitchers is that injuries are going to happen

Roush's socks
01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I think the Reds will keep all of their options and it will probably be Leake in AAA if everyone is pitching well and healthy. They could also start Volquez in AAA to make sure he is back and work on control, and then bring him to replace whoever is struggling after 4-5 starts.

HitByPitch
01-18-2011, 08:58 PM
This is a great problem to have if you think back a couple years...our options for the rotation weren't looking so good. I expect the rotation to work itself out by the end of spring training either by injury or performance.

LeDoux
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
This is a great problem to have if you think back a couple years...our options for the rotation weren't looking so good. I expect the rotation to work itself out by the end of spring training either by injury or performance.

Yeah, I think ST will be fun to follow. Lots of competion for only a few roster spots.

webbbj
01-19-2011, 02:26 AM
i think the rotation will be bronson, cueto, volquez, wood, and bailey.

I think one of the 4 youngins makes the all star team and establishes himself as the true Ace of the staff.

Captain13
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
i think the rotation will be bronson, cueto, volquez, wood, and bailey.

I think one of the 4 youngins makes the all star team and establishes himself as the true Ace of the staff.

Care to venture a guess? I'll go out on a limb and say EV has a dominant first half and all of the SD will still be wishing we had Josh.

RedsLvr
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I like Bronson, Cueto, Wood, Volquez, Leake as a starting rotation and in that order.

powersackers
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Leake or Bailey either one would be fine in the pen as the long man (think Micah Owings). I'd rather see Bailey get the nod in the 5-man. He has showed dominance to go with his inconsistency. If we had another 6-10M in salary and could improve for a veteran #2/#3 type I'd trade either one. This division is not looking to be easy to win, and I think we could use a another veteran arm that peppers the strike zone.

Trace's Daddy
01-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Who is the best innings eater besides Arroyo? I would put that guy 3rd with BA as number 1. Other than that, base the rest of the order on ST performance. But Dusty's forgotten more baseball than I'll ever know, so I'm sure he'll have a better plan.