PDA

View Full Version : Would you have taken Manny for $2 mill ?

PhatHead
01-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Just saw where Manny Ramirez signed with the Rays for $2 million. Would you have taken him in Cincy if we could have gotten the same deal? Would you rather have a cheap, but clearly declining, Manny in LF for 90+ games or what we have now?

Red Forman
01-22-2011, 08:46 AM
H**L NO!!!!!!

DocRed
01-22-2011, 08:53 AM
in a second

Trace's Daddy
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Gomes is way better than Manny for team chemistry, and it wouldn't help the LF defense. I like the Reds current plan better with a platoon in LF.

Old NDN
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
No. His act would wreck the chemistry of this team. I can't believe anyone would throw money at this guy and have to put up with his nonsense. Maybe a good fit with the Bengals?

mattfeet
01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
in a second

:beerme:

lonewolf371
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
He would get injured and provide terrible defense in the process of getting injured.

mroby85
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Manny Ramirez for 1 year, or Miguel Cairo for 2... hmmmm, I think this would've been a great signing. If he stays healthy he provides Votto with some protection, if he's washed up, you're out 2 million, and still have Gomes. Manny has far more upside than what is on the current roster in my opinion. Also, not that money is the objective, but I would assume Manny would cover that contract in ticket/jersey sales. I know I would be a lot more excited going into the season if Manny was playing LF and hitting cleanup behind Votto.

roby
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I, too, would love to have Manny Ramirez in LF for 2 million dollars. I think this is a no-brainer. i can't think he would be that big of a disruption. It seems like his teammates usually love him.

DirtyBaker
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Almost a guarantee to hit above .290 and OPS .870 if he were to stay healthy, and in some defensive statistics such as Total Zone Total Fielding Runs Above Avg, beat out Gomes by a margin of -7 to -15 last year.

For $2Mil, it's only $1.2M more than Gomes and it's a clear upgrade offensively. I just can't see him wanting to play baseball in Ohio again though.

Vottomatic
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
I think Manny is on the decline. It seems since he was caught for a banned substance and returned, that he has not been the same player.

Age is catching up with him.

Good signing for the Rays because he needs to be relegated to DHing.

Tadasimha
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Not a chance I'd have him on the Reds. Aside from poor defensive capabilities and lack of effort in the field, declining offensive performance brought on by age and loss of steroids, there's the whole distraction of "Manny being Manny" that will crop up more than once during the season.

Were the Reds in the AL, I might take a shot as he does still bring some pop to the plate and as a DH he might prove somewhat effective. On and NL team, he's a very overpriced pinch hitter.

I'll take the Gomes/Heisey and Lewis platoon as the better option right now.

webbbj
01-23-2011, 01:58 AM
i think it could work for one year. i think the team would embrace him. but then again im not complaining hes not here. Its a gamble and the reds dont really need to do that.

BEETTLEBUG
01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I would much rather have VLad Guerrao.

Vottomatic
01-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I hear Carson Palmer is available to play LF next year. :D

mroby85
01-23-2011, 06:20 PM

He'd be great at letting the cutoff man intercept his throws to the plate.

Z-Fly
01-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Not a bad option. I heard his arm is pretty decent, but his offense... not so good.

bounty37h
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
He'd be great at letting the cutoff man intercept his throws to the plate.

MRoby, wheres Carson play next year? (sorry to hijack).

wlf WV
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
No, Branden Phillips might grow dreds,or Gomes.

mroby85
01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
MRoby, wheres Carson play next year? (sorry to hijack).

I think he'll end up in Cincinnati, or retired which I dont think will happen. Mike Brown didn't cave on Ocho at all when he demanded a trade, and I assume he'll do the same with Palmer. He also said he wouldn't trade him today.

mlh1981
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
The veteran leaders on this team last year were all hard working, "character" guys. i.e. the opposite of Manny. You can put up with the 'tude if the results aren't in, but since they aren't anymore..........

mroby85
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
The veteran leaders on this team last year were all hard working, "character" guys. i.e. the opposite of Manny. You can put up with the 'tude if the results aren't in, but since they aren't anymore..........

The question is are the results gone? I realize he won't do what he did in Boston, but I think he could've been a significant upgrade over what they have. Also, teams must be able to win with him because hes won multiple championships. I'd settle for 1 in Cincinnati, lol.

bounty37h
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I think he'll end up in Cincinnati, or retired which I dont think will happen. Mike Brown didn't cave on Ocho at all when he demanded a trade, and I assume he'll do the same with Palmer. He also said he wouldn't trade him today.

That has to be a comfort to Bengals fans for next year; a QB that doesn't really want to be there usually works out well.

Pete4prez
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
This would have beem a low risk sign, if he does'nt produce the reds are only out 2 mill. If he does produce, then oh boy, lookout!