PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the offseason so far?

Vottomatic
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Just curious what everyone thinks.

I really wanted to fill our need for a quality leadoff hitter, and I'm not sold on Fred Lewis.

I am also concerned about only having Rolen to hit behind Joey. I see Joey getting less and less pitches to hit. Hopefully Jay becomes a hitting force.

But I'm excited about signing our arbitration key players to extended contracts. It shows commitment from the front office.

I think they are counting mostly on improvement from our young guys, and that it will put us in first place again.

I keep thinking that one key move might be the one that puts us not only as division winners, but maybe in the World Series. I really wanted us to trade for Choo.

bounty37h
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I voted good; think they made some good signings, esp locking up some current players with contracts for a couple more years. I always want more, but am also glad they didnt make a dumb move either. Was hoping for a true lead off, a better LF option, but cant say I am dissapointed in anything.

wlf WV
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I like our route better than Brewers.In Jocketty's position, I probably would have done about the same.I do expect a drop-off in offense, but a little better starting pitching.

Oxblood
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Mediocre.

You're giving dusty some bad pieces to play with. I'm afraid we'll be seeing more Renteria & Fred than we hope for.

brm7675
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Just curious what everyone thinks.

I really wanted to fill our need for a quality leadoff hitter, and I'm not sold on Fred Lewis.

I am also concerned about only having Rolen to hit behind Joey. I see Joey getting less and less pitches to hit. Hopefully Jay becomes a hitting force.

But I'm excited about signing our arbitration key players to extended contracts. It shows commitment from the front office.

I think they are counting mostly on improvement from our young guys, and that it will put us in first place again.

I keep thinking that one key move might be the one that puts us not only as division winners, but maybe in the World Series. I really wanted us to trade for Choo.

Why don't you think either Bruce or Stubbs can fill that role of hitting behind Votto?

Vottomatic
01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Why don't you think either Bruce or Stubbs can fill that role of hitting behind Votto?

Let's just say, I'm hoping they can. But neither have proven they can yet. But they're young and still can become that guy.

I think that is more likely to be solved than the leadoff position problem. But I'm also hoping Fred Lewis has a career year! :thumbup:

New York Red
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I voted "good". I like the moves we made with existing players. As for additions, nothing that blows my socks off, but not bad either. Most of the pieces are already in place. They just need a little more experience. I'm most excited to see improvement from some of our young guys whose talents we've already gotten a glimpse of - Stubbs, Chapman, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, et al.

naptown
01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I personally feel they did all they should have done. We have too many young promising players that need playing time. Walt did the right thing by showing confidence in these kids, giving these kids a full season to prove themselves.

RedLegsToday
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm ready for it to be over. Bring on Spring!

Vottomatic
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
We have March Madness first.

Girevik
01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I would say good (or maybe "good +") up to this point, but I'm still kind of hoping that Walt might pull off some trade to add a bat before they break camp that might upgrade the rating.

Kingspoint
02-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I feel absolutely fantastic about the off-season now that it's been confirmed many times, and from Edgar Renteria himself, that he's going to be backing up Paul Janish to start the season, and that it's Janish's job to lose. I'm tickled pink about that.

I'm also absolutely ecstatic that Walt Jockety didn't bring in anyone to play Left Field as I have thought from the beginning that our best bets for production out of Left Field comes from players already in the REDS' organization. Glad to see Laynce Nix gone, Orlando Cabrera gone, Aaron Harang gone. This club has gotten better through the old addition-by-subtraction method.

I might have to break down for the first time and get the MLB package. (I never have before because I just don't have that kind of time to watch that much baseball.) I'll have to see how many times The Defending National League Central Division Champion Cincinnati REDS (I'll be writing this a lot this year, as they've earned it and it feels good, especially after going through the very bad years that we had.) are on the major networks this year. If it's 30 times or so, then that will be enough for me. While I'd love to see 162 games (you don't get that with the MLB package anyway), there just isn't time to watch that much baseball. 50 games would be ideal...about 2 per week.

Plus, there's other baseball I like to watch, such as Minor League baseball games both live and on the net.