PDA

View Full Version : Volquez reaches 1 year $1.6M deal

davereds24
01-29-2011, 11:40 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110129&content_id=16531742&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

He pretty much lost any bargaining power with his injury and suspension. What a great price to pay someone with that much talent.

Kingspoint
01-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Still a good job.

They avoided arbitration, bad blood, he'll have to prove he can earn a big contract, and he's our best chance for an "ACE" coming up this year. Him being "hungry" isn't a bad thing. Not, that ONLY getting $1.6M should make one "hungry". But, I guess it's all relative to your peers.

davereds24
01-30-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm sure he's hungry. After losing money from his suspension and taxes he's paid he hasn't made much money relatively speaking. Even with this contract he's hardly set for very long living a pro lifestyle. The good thing about him is even with a huge year he shouldn't get too much in arb next season if they can't get muti-year deal done.

K30
01-30-2011, 02:54 AM
great to see that they are coming to terms. Volquez has been one of my favorite pitchers for us the past few seasons.

Vottomatic
01-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Good deal for Volquez. One year and he can go for more money with a good season. Which bodes well for the Reds. Always good to have a player in a contract year.

goreds2
01-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Glad to see they avoided arbitration. Enough said.

JKam
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Ok with all the signings of the arbitration elgible players and the few free agents, anyone have a calculation of how much Cincy's payroll is?

wlf WV
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
How many years is he under contract.Another question, can Bruce file for arbitration in 2 years if dissatisfied with the extension at that time. I know I'm ignorant. Help

The Operator
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
How many years is he under contract.Another question, can Bruce file for arbitration in 2 years if dissatisfied with the extension at that time. I know I'm ignorant. HelpVolquez is signed for the next year but he is under team control for longer than that. I'm not sure how many more years. If this is his first time being arbitration eligible it would mean 3 more years.

And no, Bruce can not file for arbitration if he's dissatisfied with his deal.

Oxblood
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Now let's just hope he doesn't get busted again.

wlf WV
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Volquez is signed for the next year but he is under team control for longer than that. I'm not sure how many more years. If this is his first time being arbitration eligible it would mean 3 more years.

And no, Bruce can not file for arbitration if he's dissatisfied with his deal.Thanks. Does this mean contracts signed during arbitration are not negotiable afterward.

Girevik
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks. Does this mean contracts signed during arbitration are not negotiable afterward.

A contract signed when in arbitration is the same as any other...a binding agreement between the team and player for a given number of years. Arbitration only applies to players with a certian amount of major league experience who are not under contract.

wlf WV
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
I thought they were under the club's control ,but with super 2 status or 3years service ,arbitration eligible.I just don't understand club control through arbitration years. Maybe a site explaining this would be helpful.I tried Google,not much help.thanks for your patience guys.

Girevik
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I guess I'm not understanding what you're confused about. An arbitration eligible player is under club control, in that they cannot sign somewhere else. If the player and the club are not able to come to a contract agreement by a certian date, then they go through the arbitration process to determine what the salary will be for the next year.

There is no assumption that a plaer WILL go through arbitration, it is just the method put into place for when no agreement can be reached. Clubs and players both would MUCH rather come to some kind of agreement (whether it's a one year deal or several), than have to go through arbitration.

If you only sign a one year deal as Volquez did, then the process repeats next year...you try to come to an agreement and if you can't you go through arbitration. In the case a Bruce, they signed a deal that locks him up through all of his arbitration years, which garantees they will never have to go to aribitration with him. Cueto is actually under contract for a year or two past his arbitration time.

wlf WV
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
OK, how many years are players under a teams control ,before actual free agency,and in specific Volquez.I know I'm ignorant of this,be patient.Just saw on Guard we have Volquez 2 more years.Am I remembering right 5 major league years as team control,with super 2 and3yr. arbs.

Girevik
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Found this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

Looks like he's under team control for 6 major league seasons, and the last three (and sometimes 4) seasons he's arbitration eligible. I'm not sure exactly on Volquez's status, but I'd guess he's under the Red's control through the 2013 season (but that may be wrong...I'm far from an expert).

wlf WV
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Girevik.

davereds24
01-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Found this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

Looks like he's under team control for 6 major league seasons, and the last three (and sometimes 4) seasons he's arbitration eligible. I'm not sure exactly on Volquez's status, but I'd guess he's under the Red's control through the 2013 season (but that may be wrong...I'm far from an expert).

That is correct, you get 3 years are arbitration, this was his first.