PDA

View Full Version : Fred Lewis is jacked...

MBZags
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
From his FB...

http://i51.tinypic.com/64fnly.jpg

Has he always been this big? With muscles like that, I would have expected that he'd be a bigger power threat.

Quatitos
02-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Was that a picture for his mom? I like that he took the picture with the breast cancer pink bat.

mroby85
02-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Juicer? lol. I never realized he was that big either. You're right though, you would definitely expect more pop out of a guy that looked like that. I guess baseball is unpredictable in that way because you have guys that look like Babe Ruth, or Lance Berkman that can rake.

will5979
02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Juicer? lol. I never realized he was that big either. You're right though, you would definitely expect more pop out of a guy that looked like that. I guess baseball is unpredictable in that way because you have guys that look like Babe Ruth, or Lance Berkman that can rake.

Ruth and Berkman not only look like ballplayers, but they also look/looked like MEN.

Quatitos
02-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Thought that this was a timely article to go along with this. http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/skin-tight-uniforms-for-baseball/

I'm sure guys like Lewis would get on board for it, but I would hate to imagine seeing Prince Fielder or Pablo Sandoval in something like that. Oh the horror of the sprint down the first base line.

Kingspoint
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, that's good for Fred Lewis that he's jacked.

I'm jacked, too........jacked about this upcoming season.

I never thought that in my lifetime, and so soon after watching the debacle that was the Carl Lindner regime, I'd see the Cincinnati REDS have so much quality, young starting pitching.

From Rotoworld via the Cincinnati Enquirer w/ Rotoworld comments:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said whoever of Homer Bailey, Travis Wood and Mike Leake that doesn't win a rotation spot could pitch out of the bullpen rather than as a starter at Triple-A.

The trio will fight for the final two spots in the rotation, with Sam LeCure and Matt Maloney also part of the discussion. "One of them could definitely end up in the bullpen," Jocketty said. "We’re going to need someone down there to give us some innings. They are all capable of doing that." The Reds also, of course, have a potential high-upside starter in Aroldis Chapman, but with their starting pitching depth, they're expected to keep him in the bullpen for now.

Ohioballplayer
02-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Geeeezus!

mattfeet
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow.

02-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Thought that this was a timely article to go along with this. http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/skin-tight-uniforms-for-baseball/

I'm sure guys like Lewis would get on board for it, but I would hate to imagine seeing Prince Fielder or Pablo Sandoval in something like that. Oh the horror of the sprint down the first base line.

Thanks. Nice find.

These new suits might have this guy as inspiration...

http://www.goldenagebaseballcards.com/Dec2009/images/57topps-165Ted%20Kluszewski.jpg

I'm not sure which is worse, players in skin tight, speedoesque uniforms or the baggy, pajama look that so many wear today. How about something that fits? lol

Pony Boy
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
From Rotoworld via the Cincinnati Enquirer w/ Rotoworld comments:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said whoever of Homer Bailey, Travis Wood and Mike Leake that doesn't win a rotation spot could pitch out of the bullpen rather than as a starter at Triple-A.

The trio will fight for the final two spots in the rotation, with Sam LeCure and Matt Maloney also part of the discussion. "One of them could definitely end up in the bullpen," Jocketty said. "We’re going to need someone down there to give us some innings. They are all capable of doing that." The Reds also, of course, have a potential high-upside starter in Aroldis Chapman, but with their starting pitching depth, they're expected to keep him in the bullpen for now.

Obviously Homer has to stick on the MLB roster if he doesnt make the rotation, but I hate the idea of Leake or Wood in the pen. They need to either be starting in Cincy or L'ville.

bounty37h
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree, I dont like the idea of either of them in the pen right now, either have em in the 5 here or rotation in Lville.

Hey Meat
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I bet he is a power threat at the GABP.

Kingspoint
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Pony Boy and bounty37h.....we will have injuries to our starting staff. It's inevitable. Those in the pen will then get their opportunities to start. It's more important that they all get experience against Major League pitching than it is for them to get more innings as a starter throwing against minor league players. That's where their growth lies this season...more opportunities going against, and learning how to pitch to the Major League players. It will be very good for whoever ends up in the pen. All of them will get at least 10 starts at the Major League level this year because of injuries. You need to be 8 deep with Starters who are capable of winning games to get through a season, if you're a Championship contender, unless you've got the money to grab players like Oswalt, Halladay, and Lee, who will give you 35 starts every season.

Oxblood
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks roided up.

bounty37h
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Pony Boy and bounty37h.....we will have injuries to our starting staff. It's inevitable. Those in the pen will then get their opportunities to start. It's more important that they all get experience against Major League pitching than it is for them to get more innings as a starter throwing against minor league players. That's where their growth lies this season...more opportunities going against, and learning how to pitch to the Major League players. It will be very good for whoever ends up in the pen. All of them will get at least 10 starts at the Major League level this year because of injuries. You need to be 8 deep with Starters who are capable of winning games to get through a season, if you're a Championship contender, unless you've got the money to grab players like Oswalt, Halladay, and Lee, who will give you 35 starts every season.

I realize all of this, just would rather have Leake getting innings and building up for long seasons.

bounty37h
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Wow, hope he can make good contact-will crush if so. I remember the first time I met Glenn Braggs, amazing large dude as well.

Jr's Boy
02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Looks roided up.

Why is it nowadays that when a person lifts weights,they are always thought to be on steroids?Is it just because their baseball players?

Pony Boy
02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Facing MLB batters every outing is one benefit of keeping Wood or Leake in the Reds' bullpen, but there are several better reasons for sending the odd man out back to the L'ville rotation.

1. Leake need to expand the amount of innings he pitches this season. Even if he gets a start here and there it's going to be difficult for him to get to even 80 IPs in the bullpen. Leake needs to throw at least 150 innings this season. Wood probably needs a sizeable workload this year as well to keep him sharp.

2. You can develop bad habits in the pen. You pitch harder and pitch less of your secondary pitches.

3. Arent their arbitration clock benefits to keeping Leake or Wood in Louisville?

RedsLvr
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Since arm strength isn't even an important factor in the power of a hitter, why is this even being discussed?...

bounty37h
02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
who mentioned that? OP jsut said dudes jacked, and yes, he is.

RedsLvr
02-08-2011, 04:45 PM
who mentioned that? OP jsut said dudes jacked, and yes, he is.

In several posts, people said that they thought he would be a bigger power threat because of how jacked he looked in that picture.

PhillipsHead
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Here's a fun fact: virtually every professional athlete who's not an NFL lineman is jacked...

bounty37h
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Really, I think more are not then are-most are in shape/strong, few are jacked like that. As for the power thing, I think often it can harm more then help, get that big often to slow to move/react quickly.