PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips - Extension or Walk?

mattfeet
02-20-2011, 04:26 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110220&content_id=16689736&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Quote:
"Seeing what the Reds are doing and passing out this money or whatever, it's not all about the money. I just want to be treated fairly. I don't want to be like [Alfonso] Soriano or Jayson Werth and all those guys, I want to be in the category of second base, you just put me in the middle of those guys and just pay me for what you think I should be paid between those guys, then I will be OK. I'm not trying to break the bank. I'm just happy to play the game and play for the Reds."

New article up on Phillips and how he views his future with the Reds (and his Tweeting habit, lol). I think you've got to sign this guy for another 3-4 years. Furthermore, he's apparently not interested in 'Breaking the bank' and just wants to be paid fairly. He's an outstanding 2B, good offensive producer, outstanding with the fans, etc. I know some of you are tired of him, but I think he's great for the team, and Cincinnati.

Without further ado, what are your thoughts? Extension or let him walk? For me, I say offer a 4yr/36mil w/ 4mil signing bonus spread over term of contract.
Phillips: :thumbup: or :thumbdown ?

Vottomatic
02-20-2011, 04:56 PM
For the most part, I like BP. I hope he means it when he talks about being reasonable.

MBZags
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I just don't know how Chris Carpenter would explain a BP extension to his son, though.

Krawhitham
02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
You do not let him walk, you trade him

He is going to be nothing but a distraction, he wants to be the 'Ocho' of baseball.
http://atmlb.com/fd53ZR

texasdave
02-20-2011, 06:49 PM

He is going to be nothing but a distraction, he wants to be the 'Ocho' of baseball.

It's the way of the world these days. You just have to take the good tweets with the bad tweets. Dusty doesn't seem to be too pleased with that decision. I think if a reasonable amount of common sense is applied it could be a good thing for fans. We shall see how it turns out.

lonewolf371
02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
A four-year contract wouldn't be bad. He deserves some money for what he does. I'd like to see an extension. Phillips is a good, quality 2nd baseman that any team would be happy to have.

texasdave
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
His injury really hurt his final numbers. I wouldn't mind extending BPhil for 3 or 4 years. If Reds fans turn out to see a winning team it should be doable.

goreds2
02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Sign him....Sign him.....Sign him

:phillips:

mattfeet
02-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Yea, so far in his first 5 seasons as a Red he's acted EXACTLY like Ocho. :rolleyes: Get outta here.

-Matt

aldotcs
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
There's no way BP could be like Ocho. BP has delivered. Ocho is all mouth.

goreds2
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM

AMEN

davereds24
02-20-2011, 08:29 PM
This team needs to win before Votto likely leaves. BP is a big part of that chance to win.

LeDoux
02-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I am not sure the Reds can afford an extension. That being said, I would really hate seeing him on another NL central team. Although he seems to have ruled out STL...

mroby85
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM

In fairness, Ocho is past his prime but was more of a star on the field than BP has been in my opinion. That being said, i'm very sick of Ocho and think he's past his prime and nothing but a distraction, but he did produce on the field earlier in his career at a high level.
I wouldn't be against an extension for Phillips if it can be afforded, but I think everything needs to revolve mainly around beng able to lock up Joey Votto.

Kingspoint
02-21-2011, 12:18 AM

Exactly. We talked about this 3 years ago, that this (the next 18 months) would be the time period for getting the most out of him. We'll have his replacement ready.

aldotcs
02-21-2011, 08:03 AM
In fairness, Ocho is past his prime but was more of a star on the field than BP has been in my opinion. That being said, i'm very sick of Ocho and think he's past his prime and nothing but a distraction, but he did produce on the field earlier in his career at a high level.
I wouldn't be against an extension for Phillips if it can be afforded, but I think everything needs to revolve mainly around beng able to lock up Joey Votto.

I remember when Chad could back it up. It's sad to see him sputter and be really annoying now.
While I am glad we were able to deal with Votto, I don't want it to be at the expense of our other fine players. I hope we can keep BP on because he has a lot to offer, tweets or not.

RedsLvr
02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Brandon Phillips is nothing at all like Ochocinco... How often do you see BP on the top of the headlines? Never? Once maybe. It's every week for Ochocinco and he can't even back up his talk like BP can. He's of great value to this team's chances of winning, and he is definitely among the fan favorites. Trading him or not resigning him would be a huge mistake...

Cuban_Missile
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Brandon Phillips is nothing at all like Ochocinco... How often do you see BP on the top of the headlines? Never? Once maybe. It's every week for Ochocinco and he can't even back up his talk like BP can. He's of great value to this team's chances of winning, and he is definitely among the fan favorites. Trading him or not resigning him would be a huge mistake...

Agreed BP needs to stay in this city I mean who are going to trade him to St. Louis??? I heard he is not too fond of that place.

wlf WV
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I doubt Reds resign Phillips.I believe philosophic differences between Baker,Jocketty and Branden will limit fair negotiations.Branden views social media as good marketing tool,others believe it devalues him.I don't see the Reds affording him and the young pitchers too.Someone will pay,he is one of the best 2nd baseman in the game.

aldotcs
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Agreed BP needs to stay in this city I mean who are going to trade him to St. Louis??? I heard he is not too fond of that place.

Hee. :D

Hey Meat
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I say sign him. That Cardinals game in August at Cincinnati was the best I ever went to despite a Reds loss.

Cuban_Missile
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I say sign him. That Cardinals game in August at Cincinnati was the best I ever went to despite a Reds loss.

It was even better being in St. Louis for the first game in the series just hearing everyone boo BP to the point that Busch Stadium literally shook. We need a guy like that who can talk smack back it up and get the team fired up.

Old NDN
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Good player, offensively and defensively. I guess you have to weigh that against the showboating, occasional loafing, distractions, and salary. I would take a long look at Hamilton this spring to see if he would fit. If so, save the money from BP and put it elsewhere. OTOH, it wouldn't kill me to see Phillips back.

gedred69
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
If he is used this year or in the future as the lead off hitter, I will be gastronomically ill. He is a natural born #2, and his stats just about anywhere but #1 bear that out. (He also sucked at #4 though). There are so many tantilizing options in the system that I doubt the Reds will find him within budget, even though he is such a great representative for the team. He shows up at all the promotions, and not just for one day on the Caravan. He donated money for the developement of the field at at one of the area high schools. He's a model citizen, who longs to be this generation's Joe Morgan. He just isn't quite that good.......

OfficerRodFarva
02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll never understand the Phillips hate.
Sign the hell out of him. This is a Gold Glove and All Star Second Baseman.

OGB
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I just don't know how Chris Carpenter would explain a BP extension to his son, though.

Bravo
:thumbup:

Seriously, though, I've been saying for quite some time that you let Phillips walk after his contract expires. However, if they don't think Valaika/Frazier/whoever else could be an adequate replacement*, then I'd definitely consider a 3-5 year extension if it's at a reasonable rate. Given his inconsistent offensive production, though, I don't think Phillips is worth what the Reds are paying him now.**

*Of course they wouldn't be able to come close to replacing his defense, but if there is a 10.7 million dollar difference in salary, it'd make up the difference.
** Phillips numbers are worth $11.25 million or more to a team with a higher payroll. I think a team with an $80 million payroll shouldn't pay a Gold Glove 2B with a career .267/.316/.430 more than about 8-9 million, though.

Stray
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Like others have said, Gold Glove and All-Star 2nd basemen aren't exactly easy to come by. Phillips isn't old or anything and he's proven to be a gamer that loves it here. You extend his contract.

mattfeet
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Brandon wants to be a lifetime-Red. Reds' have spoken with his agents last fall and will this spring about an extension.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/27/phillips-would-like-a-contract-extension/

-Matt

Krawhitham
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
It was even better being in St. Louis for the first game in the series just hearing everyone boo BP to the point that Busch Stadium literally shook. We need a guy like that who can talk smack back it up and get the team fired up.

Please explain how he backed it up?

He finished the season hitting .231 after he ran his mouth

VS the Cards he was even worse going 4 for 27 (a .147 AVG)

His team openly was not happy about his remarks, he is nothing but a distraction. The 15 million he will want can be better spent

mattfeet
02-27-2011, 10:59 PM
:rolleyes:

JeremiahHorsley
02-28-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't care what any of you haters say, not only does BP come out everyday to play, but he puts on a show. He is a webgem machine and the Reds defense wouldn't be near as good without him. You can try to replace him with some young guy but they are going to go through growing pains in the Majors.

Also, every single game I go to, I see Phillips over on the first baseline signing autographs and interacting with fans. He's been one of the most popular guys from a fans stand point. He brings people to the park just like any other All Star and Gold Glover would.

EXTEND HIM! But, don't break the bank. He deserves to be paid, but he is no Chase Utley, his numbers have been dipping slightly, he needs to prove he isn't wearing down and can still put up great numbers.

Mr.MojoRisin
02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
He's also a great player. We've had the moronic trend of trading our best players the last few years and getting nothing for it (Adam Dunn, Austin Kerns, Felipe Lopez, etc.). Let's not let BP go.

Vottomatic
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree that BP is a good player, good to the fans, and good for the organization.

But I think with the Reds farm system blossoming so well, and BP turning 30 years old in June, that they will be reluctant to sign him to a long deal. I think BP will want $10-$14 million per season, and there is no way they will give him that. They might be willing to give him more like $8M per season over 3 or 4 years, but I don't see them going longer. At some point, you have to let the farm system do it's job and start replacing some of these players at a cheap rate. Especially when you're a small market team.

OGB
02-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I agree that BP is a good player, good to the fans, and good for the organization.

But I think with the Reds farm system blossoming so well, and BP turning 30 years old in June, that they will be reluctant to sign him to a long deal. I think BP will want $10-$14 million per season, and there is no way they will give him that. They might be willing to give him more like $8M per season over 3 or 4 years, but I don't see them going longer. At some point, you have to let the farm system do it's job and start replacing some of these players at a cheap rate. Especially when you're a small market team.

Amen.

I don't think everyone is considering where the money is going to come from to retain half of our current roster. Even if the Reds sign Phillips to a below market 4 to 6 year deal, that is money they won't be able to spend in 2 or 3 years when they might want to lock up or extend Stubbs, Wood, Leake, Volquez, Votto, Cueto, Heisey, Mesoraco, Bailey etc. Most of those guys are 4-7 years younger than Phillips.

If Phillips OBP were 30 points higher, I'd say resign him. I think his offense will be fairly easily replaced, though. Only the defense will be greatly missed.

gedred69
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM

A real step of faith, but I reluctantly agree. BP is a great ambassador all by himself, but hey, it's business, and the Reds strut over their system depth. Well, time is coming where they will have to let the young guys prove it.

NorrisHopper30
03-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I love BP, my heart wants to sign him longterm - but my brain says sign him 2-3 years MAX or trade. He's reaching that age.

Vottomatic
03-01-2011, 07:51 AM
If Phillips OBP were 30 points higher, I'd say resign him. I think his offense will be fairly easily replaced, though. Only the defense will be greatly missed.

Good points. I agree.

If he walked more and his OBP were higher, he'd be more valuable offensively. Right now, his offense can be replaced. His defense will be greatly missed, as you said.

Stray
03-01-2011, 02:00 PM
BP was having a really good offensive year till he injured his hand last year. I guess we don't have to make a decision now or anything, but if he can continue to be productive at the plate I think we'll resign him. We all know we'll get gold glove defense every night.

It's rare when a guy appreciates an organization, town, and its fans as much as BP does. For him to come out and say he wants to stay here for the long haul is awesome. I think we'll find a way to keep him.

Krawhitham
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/03/01/phillips-question-how-much/

If the reds can sign his for 7 million per season I take back what I said, for 7 million it is a good deal for both. I would not pay more than 8 million. But pride might stand in the way, he will make 12 million next season and most players want a raise not a pay cut

Ohioballplayer
03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
3 years 21.5 mil, team option for the 4th year?

BP is great and fan friendly but if he wants too much he will have to go.

mattfeet
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I bet Reds sign him for a 3yr 30mil with 8mil option for year 4. And I wouldn't complain, either.

-Matt