PDA

View Full Version : Zack Greinke breaks rib playing basketball...

mattfeet
03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
PHOENIX -- Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke is likely to begin the season on the disabled list because of a fractured right rib.

Greinke injured himself while playing basketball in the offseason. Initial X-rays were negative, but an MRI exam Monday revealed a hairline fracture in one rib and a bruise in a second.

Greinke is a former AL Cy Young winner. The Brewers acquired him in an offseason trade with Kansas City.

:beerme:

HalMorrisRules
03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Someone needs to tell Jonny Gomes to stifle himself this time. ;)

zacharync
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
aww shux.

frenetic wave
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
This is the saddest day. We should respectfully mourn every day that Grienke is not active, less we be accomplices to this tragedy.

Swampturkey
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
article I read says he was told not to play basketball during spring training and ignored it.

New York Red
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
They're dropping like flies! :p:

KYRedLeg
03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
A speedy recovery to both him and Wainwright. I want to see the Reds keep the crown by beating the best of the NL Central, not what's left of them.

TyKush614
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
article I read says he was told not to play basketball during spring training and ignored it.

Article says the offseason. I would take that to mean prior to spring training, right?

Vottomatic
03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
What other sports does Carlos Silva play in his off time? :D

DocRed
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
not smart

Votto4MVP
03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Greinke has a couple red flags on him, first being told not to play bball and playing anyways. Also he is getting blasted in the media because he wont go out to dinner and stuff with the rest of his teammates...doesnt seem like a big deal but once the media starts talking about it it doesnt matter.

New York Red
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Greinke has a couple red flags on him, first being told not to play bball and playing anyways. Also he is getting blasted in the media because he wont go out to dinner and stuff with the rest of his teammates...doesnt seem like a big deal but once the media starts talking about it it doesnt matter.
So STL is on the verge of imploding and they might have chemistry issues in Milwaukee? Yes yes, probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'm just glad none of this stuff is coming out of our organization.

Good times. :beerme:

goreds2
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
They're dropping like flies! :p:

http://gochitchat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/aw-hell-naw.jpg

JeremiahHorsley
03-09-2011, 12:24 AM
So STL is on the verge of imploding and they might have chemistry issues in Milwaukee? Yes yes, probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'm just glad none of this stuff is coming out of our organization.

Good times. :beerme:

Lets not forget the Cubs are having fight nights already lol. Who's gonna be our competition when the others are completely shattered? The Pirates are the only team not in the news yet.

bounty37h
03-09-2011, 10:01 AM
A speedy recovery to both him and Wainwright. I want to see the Reds keep the crown by beating the best of the NL Central, not what's left of them.

Its part of the game, they had/have no problem winning against us when anyone is injured. Beating them with or without players is the name of the game, take care of yours, dont worry about the rest is all that matters. This whole "beat the best" arguement is worn out.

texasdave
03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Its part of the game, they had/have no problem winning against us when anyone is injured. Beating them with or without players is the name of the game, take care of yours, dont worry about the rest is all that matters. This whole "beat the best" arguement is worn out.

Amen. The whole notion of "beating a team at their best" is flawed. Every team will have players go down during the season and be put on the Disabled List. Without exception. So no team will have "been at their best" the entire season. So how can you beat a team "at its best" when no team will be able to accomplish that? Baseball is a daily six-month grind. And a team better have quality depth on their 40-man roster to weather those injuries. Or, at the very least, minimize the damage. Just count up the wins at the end of the year and the team with the most wins the division.

davereds24
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Hopefully this puts the Brewers in an early hole, unfortunately for us they play the Cubs, Pirates, and Nats in the first 3 weeks.

I think this gives the Reds a great shot to take the opening series.

Grouse
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Those teams spend alot more money. In my mind it just levels the playing field, and I don't feel any less for beating them.

OGB
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Hopefully this puts the Brewers in an early hole, unfortunately for us they play the Cubs, Pirates, and Nats in the first 3 weeks.

I think this gives the Reds a great shot to take the opening series.

If you take a look at the Reds schedule, it is ridiculously easy through the first 45 games or so (based on last year's records, of course.)
They can't afford to not have a tremendous start even if Milwaukee of St Louis struggle early.

Oxblood
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Too bad for him but we'll take it.

mroby85
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
According to twitter, Yovani Gallardo has officially been named the opening day starter.

brm7675
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM

It will only be an issue if he struggles, if he goes out and say is like 10-1 with a sub 3 ERA at the all star people will care less. If he is like 3-8 and a plus 3.5 ERA then there will be issues...