PDA

View Full Version : Homer to DL

zacharync
03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Was just listening to the game on the radio and apparently Homer is going to the DL. Lecure will be taking his spot in the rotation.

Good grief.

Tadasimha
03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Wondering now if Jockety might be talking with the Cubs as Carlos Silva might be starting in the pen but had a good start his last outing.

Redlegs_87
03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Things seem to be piling up testing our "depth" at pitching. Hopefully whatever is wrong with Bailey isn't serious or Cueto. That and Arroyo possibly having a respiratory infection. Going to be interesting to see how things turn out.

CySeymour
03-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Wondering now if Jockety might be talking with the Cubs as Carlos Silva might be starting in the pen but had a good start his last outing.

Not a chance. The Cubs fancy themselves as contendors, and no way they are trading a starting pitcher to the defending division champ.

Kingspoint
03-25-2011, 04:35 PM
This is why I've always maintained that you need 7 or 8 legitimate Starting Pitchers going into the season.

We've got two down (Cueto and Bailey), one a little down (Arroyo), and all the rest have been ineffective so far.

In the long run, our depth will be our strength.

Just think how bad it would be if we had only had 2 or 3 legitimate starters instead of 6 or 7?

zacharync
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I should have mentioned this initially. It's an impingement of the shoulder. Walt says he should only miss 2 starts, for what that's worth.

texasdave
03-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Rumor has it Sam LeCure will take his spot for a couple starts. Whose dog did Matt Maloney kick?

brm7675
03-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I should have mentioned this initially. It's an impingement of the shoulder. Walt says he should only miss 2 starts, for what that's worth.

Okay here is what that is, and I challenge anyone to read this and think..oh he will be fine and back in just a couple of weeks..

Shoulder Impingement Syndrome

Shoulder impingement syndrome is caused by compression of the tendons of the rotator cuff between a part of the shoulder blade and the head of the humerus. This can become a chronic inflammatory condition that may lead to a weakening of the tendons of the rotator cuff, a situation that may result in a torn rotator cuff. Initial treatment for an impinged shoulder includes rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medications (sometimes including steroid injections).

zacharync
03-25-2011, 05:22 PM
He has had shoulder issues in the past as well, no?

texasdave
03-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Okay here is what that is, and I challenge anyone to read this and think..oh he will be fine and back in just a couple of weeks..

Shoulder Impingement Syndrome

Shoulder impingement syndrome is caused by compression of the tendons of the rotator cuff between a part of the shoulder blade and the head of the humerus. This can become a chronic inflammatory condition that may lead to a weakening of the tendons of the rotator cuff, a situation that may result in a torn rotator cuff. Initial treatment for an impinged shoulder includes rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medications (sometimes including steroid injections).

Sounds like the first step on the road to rotator cuff surgery. Ouch!

Opening Day Starter Update: Volquez today. 4 IP 7 H 2 R 4 BB 3 K.
Good News Dept. Jonny Gomes is heating up with the bat.

zacharync
03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Sounds like the first step on the road to rotator cuff surgery. Ouch!

Opening Day Starter Update: Volquez today. 4 IP 7 H 2 R 4 BB 3 K.

Volquez has no business being the opening day starter of a team many predict to win the division. What can you do though?

Kiss the Baby00
03-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Volquez has no business being the opening day starter of a team many predict to win the division. What can you do though?

No chance Reds are winning the central this year. Pitching was mediocre before these injuries. Travis Wood is easily the ace of the staff.

RedRedhawk
03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
The sky is not falling folks. Three months ago many on here would have said Homer was our sixth starter. The drop off from him to LeCure or Maloney is minimal. Cueto is the real concern.

brm7675
03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
No chance Reds are winning the central this year. Pitching was mediocre before these injuries. Travis Wood is easily the ace of the staff.

Mediocre 'before" the injuires? What kool aid have you been drinking?

brm7675
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
The sky is not falling folks. Three months ago many on here would have said Homer was our sixth starter. The drop off from him to LeCure or Maloney is minimal. Cueto is the real concern.

To me the big concern is that our manager doesn't or can't buy a clue on pitching...that is my BIG concern...I mean really....Edision as your opening day starter? Chapman being used out of the pen instead of learning to me a starter in AAA and on and on and on and on...

Jefferson24
03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
The pitching could be in real trouble this year. To go into the year with a bunch of guys who pitch like number 3 or 4 starters at best isn't a good thing. Then throw in the fact that they are flirting with injury and are now heading to the DL.

You can't win the central division by the end of May but you can sure lose it by then.

I'm not impressed so far and I doubt other teams will be either once the season starts.

bshall2105
03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
This would have concerned me two years ago, and maybe even last year. But right now I think our offense has what it takes to carry the load for the first couple of weeks until Cueto and Bailey make it back.

Fullboat
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Hows that work out?15 Days from now or 15 days after the season starts?

Girevik
03-25-2011, 09:09 PM

I'm pretty sure it's 15 days from now. Durring the season it's 15 days from their last appearcance, but I don't know if that applies to ST.

I have to admit, I'm getting worried with 3 guys having issues. Gotta keep telling myself it's early, and a long season.......as long as they get healthy.

texasdave
03-26-2011, 12:15 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/important_dates.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_schedule

Some good info here.

The earliest a player can be put on the DL is March 22nd this year. That would make it one week before the start of the regular season.

Redlegs_87
03-26-2011, 02:33 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/cubs-give-andrew-cashner-rotation-spot-will-attempt-to-trade-carlos-silva

Seems like Silva is on his way out in Chicago. interesting

Vottomatic
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM

I beg to differ. It sure does seem like it is falling.

Volquez seriously erratic and can't find the strike zone. Opening Day starter? Give me a break.

Cueto having minor problems but hasn't pitched much.

Arroyo with Mono. Apparently it will linger for a long while.

Bailey to DL?

Leake pitching poorly.

This sucks.

Tadasimha
03-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Not a chance. The Cubs fancy themselves as contendors, and no way they are trading a starting pitcher to the defending division champ.

The Cubs are going to try to trade and if that doesn't work, they'll release him out right.

He's a bit of wing-nut but a change of scenery sometimes works in the favor of the team that picks him up - his ego will have him ready to prove everyone wrong and the Cubs will end up paying the majority of hs salary and will probably take some low end prospects in trade.

Just a stop gap, yes, but the upside is we have a guy who can pitch decently while the trio of Cueto/Bailey/Arroyo get healthier and then he's a decent part of a trade as the season goes on.

OfficerRodFarva
03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
So who is our game 2 starter?

mattwellsey
03-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Some Reds questions answered here:

http://tapthoseshinguards.blogspot.com/

And Homer is gonna have a big year when he comes back.

Heard it hear first!

Girevik
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Heard it hear first!

No, I've heard that lots of places.