PDA

View Full Version : Dusty for Manager of the Year - Reds win Opening Day!

Mr Larkin
03-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I know if I come back later the board is going to be all negative about the two 1st inning homers and the homer given up later and the way that we kept keeping the Brewers in the game - so I'm going to skip all that junk and celebrate a win on opening day. Not just a win, but a win against the team that one of the regulars on here had the guts to call the team to beat in the NL central.

We had our bumps, but the Reds won the game - that is what counts!

162-0! It's possible. I know, I'm, a Dolphins fan too!

Krawhitham
03-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Dusty needs to realize Volquez is not our #1 pitcher

A manager needs to do two things, 1st is to keep the players happy (if they are happy they perform better) 2nd is to make smart baseball moves during a game. Dusty seems to do #1 all the time and #2 half the time. Combined that makes him a good manager. Fans do not ever consider #1 when they're talking about a manager, myself include (hell next week I'll be yelling to fire Dusty)

zacharync
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM

A manager needs to do two things, 1st is to keep the players happy (if they are happy they perform better) 2nd is to make smart baseball moves during a game. Dusty seems to do #1 all the time and #2 half the time. Combined that makes him a good manager. Fans do not ever consider #1 when the talking about a manager, myself include (hell next week I'll be yelling to fire Dusty)

well said. keeping players happy is so important. I would also include in that though the need for the players to respect their manager. I think we have that on this team.

buckeyeboy
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Dusty deserved to win it last year!

AintlifeGrande
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
I loved seeing Dusty jumping up and down in the dugout after the walk off.Sure he felt like a kid again.

Vottomatic
03-31-2011, 08:04 PM
It was electric when Hernandez' home run went over the right field wall. Electric.

DocRed
03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
We won DESPITE Dusty....

BPhillips4
03-31-2011, 11:09 PM

Then who is?

Volquez struggles at times with his control, there is no arguing that. However, as far as pure stuff and talent, Volquez is easily our #1 pitcher. Travis Wood will have a shot this year to put his name in that hat, as well.

I have no problem with Dusty rolling the dice on Volquez.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Then who is?

Volquez struggles at times with his control, there is no arguing that. However, as far as pure stuff and talent, Volquez is easily our #1 pitcher. Travis Wood will have a shot this year to put his name in that hat, as well.

If you go on pure stuff, and talent, then yes.

I personally think Bronson should be the guy who gets the call in big games. He's been SOLID for us ever since he's been a part of the club. I'd call on BA in game 7 of the World Series before I would Edinson.

roby
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I loved seeing Dusty jumping up and down in the dugout after the walk off.Sure he felt like a kid again.

NOBODY loves to win more than Dusty does! You gotta love it!

Kiss the Baby00
04-01-2011, 12:04 AM
We won DESPITE Dusty....

please sir. Will you enlighten me as to what dusty did wrong?

Sean_CaseyRules
04-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Just watched it again on FSN, I still found myself yelling at the end!!! WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!

Cincinnatian
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Photos from around MLB on Opening Day:
http://blogs.pjstar.com/eye/2011/03/31/opening-day-2011/

CySeymour
04-01-2011, 09:36 AM

A manager needs to do two things, 1st is to keep the players happy (if they are happy they perform better) 2nd is to make smart baseball moves during a game. Dusty seems to do #1 all the time and #2 half the time. Combined that makes him a good manager. Fans do not ever consider #1 when they're talking about a manager, myself include (hell next week I'll be yelling to fire Dusty)

I think you nailed it! Good post.

bounty37h
04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
We won DESPITE Dusty....

Sometimes I wish we had a "shut up already" smiley option on here.:thumbdown

CySeymour
04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Dusty does a very good job of getting players to understand and embrace their roles, whether or not you agree what those roles are. Since he gets them all on the same page, they are prepared and ready to perform when he calls on them. I don't agree with a lot of moves he makes, either, but guess what? The guy has won a lot of games in the big leagues, so he's gotta be doing something right.

Jefferson24
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM

The problem is the Reds don't have a #1, I'm not even sure I would consider any of them #2 pitchers. The reds have 6 or 7 guys that fall into that #3-#4 spot. Is it better to not have top of the rotation starters but have better back end starters than most teams? I guess if you score enough runs it will work.

goreds2
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM

What a gutsy game by Volquez. After the first two innings, I never dreamed he would pitch 6. I thought 4 would be his limit. He kept the bullpen from being used too early. Very good.

DocRed
04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
please sir. Will you enlighten me as to what dusty did wrong?

Volquez, Gomes....

Mr Larkin
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Volquez, Gomes....

Violquez - who went six solid innings despite a horrific start.

Gomes who drove in a crucial run in the ninth.

You are so right - fire the guy.

If you just want to complain, go to church.

Vottomatic
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
The problem is the Reds don't have a #1, I'm not even sure I would consider any of them #2 pitchers. The reds have 6 or 7 guys that fall into that #3-#4 spot. Is it better to not have top of the rotation starters but have better back end starters than most teams? I guess if you score enough runs it will work.

Our #1 was on the mound tonight.

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Then who is?

I would put Volquez 4th maybe 5th if Homer comes back strong

Volquez has had 3 good months his whole career, that is it

and most likely those 3 months were Roid fueled

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Violquez - who went six solid innings despite a horrific start.

Gomes who drove in a crucial run in the ninth.

You are so right - fire the guy.

If you just want to complain, go to church.

You know all the innings count right, he gave up 5 runs. He looked like crap in spring training and it carried over. The brew crew relaxed and started swinging are more balls just going through the motions thinking they had the game wrapped up. They were wrong

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Just because the Reds traded away a MVP for Volquez does not make him a good pitcher or the ace of any staff

Vottomatic
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Just because the Reds traded away a MVP for Volquez does not make him a good pitcher or the ace of any staff

So tell how you really feel about Volquez? :D

Mr Larkin
04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
You know all the innings count right, he gave up 5 runs. He looked like crap in spring training and it carried over. The brew crew relaxed and started swinging are more balls just going through the motions thinking they had the game wrapped up. They were wrong

Only giving up five runs after such a horrible start is an accomplishment. I still think he is a solid option.

I'm still not sure we have a #1.

texasdave
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Maybe in a softball league giving up five runs in six innings is solid. I don't consider that solid in the league the Reds happen to play in.
Gomes did drive in a run in the 9th, true enough. He also made an error that led to a run. Let's call that a wash.

AintlifeGrande
04-03-2011, 12:29 AM
I know,I know,but can you imagine a Hamilton,Stubbs,Bruce outfield.

R_Webb18
04-03-2011, 12:47 AM
as soon as he does good u all will be in love with him

Sean_CaseyRules
04-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Maybe in a softball league giving up five runs in six innings is solid. I don't consider that solid in the league the Reds happen to play in.
Gomes did drive in a run in the 9th, true enough. He also made an error that led to a run. Let's call that a wash.

I think the Error was nullified by the IBB to Fielder (which probably would've happened anyway, they did it again later in the game), and the balk. Would've put him at 3rd anyway.

Mr Larkin
04-03-2011, 02:29 AM

Given that he gave up back-to-back homers to the first two batters, three runs over the next six innings is not a horrific start. I was assuming that he would be gone by the third inning, so to get him into the seventh was a positive thing.

I think EV can still be what the front office thought he was when they traded away last year's AL MVP for him. I certainly hope so and will be positive thinking toward that end.

Mr Larkin
04-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Happy to be 2-0!