PDA

View Full Version : Wire to wire

Parliament
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
The 90 reds did it. Can the 2011 team do the same?

Yes it is only 3 games but you got to love the way the team has played so far. If the brewers really are the second best team in the division it could be a really fun season.

Magdal
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I wonder what the post season sucess rate is for teams that breeze wire to wire?

LeDoux
04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
How stable is this new enthusiasm? If the Reds get swept by the Astros are be back to firesale discussions?

Parliament
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
How stable is this new enthusiasm? If the Reds get swept by the Astros are be back to firesale discussions?

Who was talking about a firesale?

Sean_CaseyRules
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Who was talking about a firesale?

For 10 years that's all we've talked about haha. I think he was being sarcastic (sorry if I'm misinterpreting it) about how fickle Reds fans have become due to the lack of a competitive team for the last decade.

Parliament
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
For 10 years that's all we've talked about haha. I think he was being sarcastic (sorry if I'm misinterpreting it) about how fickle Reds fans have become due to the lack of a competitive team for the last decade.

Ok, I understand that but even if the reds get swept by the 'stros (not bloody likely) I will still be behind this team 100%. Too much talent IMO

Sean_CaseyRules
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Ok, I understand that but even if the reds get swept by the 'stros (not bloody likely) I will still be behind this team 100%. Too much talent IMO

As would MOST of us on here, but there's always some chicken littles who think the sky's falling everytime we lose a series haha

DaytonFlyer
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I wonder what the post season sucess rate is for teams that breeze wire to wire?

OK, I do not think the Reds are going to do this, BUT I had visions of the 2001 Seattle Mariners watching them over the weekend. A team that went 116-46 in the regular season, and got dominated by the Yankees in the ALCS. Not sure whether to :thumbup: or :thumbdown that idea.

Parliament
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
OK, I do not think the Reds are going to do this, BUT I had visions of the 2001 Seattle Mariners watching them over the weekend. A team that went 116-46 in the regular season, and got dominated by the Yankees in the ALCS. Not sure whether to :thumbup: or :thumbdown that idea.

That seattle team was one of the best I've ever seen. Edgar Martinez was mashing along with great pitching from Pineiro, Garcia and Moyer. Still shocked they didn't win it all.

LeDoux
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM

That about sums it up. I love the fast start, but I also know some bad games and bad series are also in the future. I also hope Reds fans can enjoy their team winning and not take it for granted. Its much more fun that way.

davrix
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
That about sums it up. I love the fast start, but I also know some bad games and bad series are also in the future. I also hope Reds fans can enjoy their team winning and not take it for granted. Its much more fun that way.

I not only like this team for their talent, but they have a bunch a great people on this team as well. Everyone plays hard and seems to really care about winning. I look forward to watching this team grow over the next few years. Then replace talent with talent from the farm team. The way they did in the 70s.

tkemmerer14
04-05-2011, 12:49 AM

Its so much more fun going to the ballpark with the expectation of winning instead of just a hope

goreds2
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
How stable is this new enthusiasm? If the Reds get swept by the Astros are we be back to firesale discussions?

LOL, that is the way it has always been here. When I see those, I just grin and move on to the next post and/or thread. ;)

It's a loooonnnnnggg season.

Hey Meat
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
The 90 reds did it. Can the 2011 team do the same?

Yes it is only 3 games but you got to love the way the team has played so far. If the brewers really are the second best team in the division it could be a really fun season.
Did you see the guys on the post game on Sunday behind Jim Day on the Third Base Concourse chanting "Wire to Wire?" It was pretty cool.

Magdal
04-06-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't like the wire to wire chances of post season sucess...it seems like the teams that make that Sept. surge and pull ahead on the last weekend roll into the WS on a "high".

Nobody thought the Giants would go to the big game last year, and WIN it! My $ was on the Phils. It's all very confusing. I gotta think about it some more.

BigJohn
04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Pretty sure the 90 Reds are the only NL team to ever do it.

Parliament
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
bumped for 1.5 games over the pirates :beerme:

Sean_CaseyRules
04-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Lookin good!!! 162-0 here we come!!!!

goreds2
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM

This is kind of what you are talking about. One bad outing.....

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88567

LeDoux
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
This is kind of what you are talking about. One bad outing.....

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88567

Ha! That might be an example. :)

But it’s okay. Part of the fun is investing oneself in the team. Some are just a little more volatile in their reactions.

Captain13
04-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Ten games in and "wire to wire" is still a possibility. :thumbup:

Parliament
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Reds must win tonight to keep the wire to wire season a possibility.

DirtyBaker
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I know it means possibly conceding the wire-to-wire, but all I'm hoping for is to take 2 out of 3 this weekend.

This team is lucky that 10-9 is good enough for tops in the division.